PDA

View Full Version : The Etelehta (My Homebrew 3.5 Weapon)

Wbteoz
2015-01-06, 09:28 AM
Hello there! This is my first post on this forum and I'm very excited to get some feedback on this. I just came up with this weapon idea and stayed up all last night working on it. I really like the concept and would like help tweaking it to make it balance and make sense. This weapon is pretty much designed for Duskblades as they are currently my favorite class.
Anyway, here's the description:

Etelehta
Exotic One-handed sword
Type: Piercing or Slashing
Cost: 150gp (I really think it should be way more)
Damage: 1d6(+"Triggered" damage if applicable)
Crit: 18-20/x2
Weight: 5lbs

Longer than a rapier but shorter than a longsword, this exotic weapon is very unique, though not magical. This sword has a mostly straight blade and a rapier-like hand guard with a trigger near the handle. In the hands of a capable wielder (through Exotic Weapon Proficiency) the trigger can be pulled during an attack as a move action (swift action with Weapon Focus:[Etelehta]). When this occurs, a small shockwave is sent through the blade that deals extra damage that scales with the sword's enhancement bonus (see below). If a spell is channeled through the sword (via Arcane Channeling, ect.) and the wielder misses his attack with the weapon, he can attempt to pull the trigger. If successful, there's a chance the spell jumps to the target, which is then resolved. If unsuccessful, the wielder loses the spell and provokes an attack of opportunity. While channeling, pulling the trigger on a successful hit does not deal extra damage, as it just more-or-less pushes the spell out of the sword.
In order to pull the trigger during combat, it takes a DC check of 20 (DC 15 with Weapon Focus:[Etelehta]). To determine if a "triggered" channeled spell hits, after making the DC check to pull the trigger, make a ranged attack roll as if the target was flat-footed. Add your Dex modifier to your DC check.
You may use this weapon with two hands to add 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage rolls.
You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with an etelehta sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.
"Triggered" Damage by Enhancement Bonus
+0 1d3; +1 1d4; +2 1d5; +3 1d6; +4 1d8; +5 2d6

So I would like some feedback and advice. It is obviously loosely based off a Gunblade from FFVIII. I love the idea of it and within the timeline of the campaign I'm playing, it fits. I just need some adjusting.

How should I explain the "shockwave" the sword gives off when triggered since it's not magical? There is no gunpowder involved either. How much should it cost? And I'm thinking there could be a penalty for attempting to pull the trigger and messing up when NOT channeling. If I put a penalty on it though, I feel like the damage it'll do isn't worth the trouble. So I'd need to raise that. Also, I don't know much about DCs so that part may need fixing.

Amnoriath
2015-01-06, 09:48 AM
When just looking at the name it sounds like a specific magic weapon. When looking at the description as well it further proves that. Are you looking to make a base weapon or not?

nonsi
2015-01-06, 11:13 AM
Funny, when I first saw the name, I expected to find a description for an atlatl (https://www.google.co.il/search?q=atlatl&espv=2&biw=1097&bih=557&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5gisVIefJMboaP23gIAE&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQsAQ)-like weapon.

Where does the name "Etelehta" come from? (might help)

Wbteoz
2015-01-06, 12:22 PM
When just looking at the name it sounds like a specific magic weapon. When looking at the description as well it further proves that. Are you looking to make a base weapon or not?

Yeah I've noticed that myself. I would like it to be a base weapon but it's seeming more and more like a magical one.

Funny, when I first saw the name, I expected to find a description for an atlatl (https://www.google.co.il/search?q=atlatl&espv=2&biw=1097&bih=557&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5gisVIefJMboaP23gIAE&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQsAQ)-like weapon.

Where does the name "Etelehta" come from? (might help)

Haha yeah I could see that. Etelehta is actually Elvish for "deliver."

jqavins
2015-01-07, 01:04 PM
I don't see any way that this can be made without magic. For one thing, I can't imagine how you'd explain the shock wave in any believable manner, which is the problem you identified. But on top of that, you've got a non-magical hunk of metal that modifies how a magical effect (Arcane Chanelling or the like) operates, making it substantially more powerful; how can a mundae object make magic work better?
The progression of shockwave damage seems odd, especially the big jump in damage from +4 to +5 enhancement. The average damage from the shockwave progreses like this:

Enhancement

+0

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5

Shock Damage Roll

1d3

1d4

1d5

1d6

1d8

2d6

Average Shock Damage

I'd suggest this instead:

Enhancement

+0

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5

Shock Damage Roll

1d3

1d4

1d5

1d6

1d7

1d8

Average Shock Damage

I commend you, though, on your willingness to use odd number dice, i.e. 1d3 and 1d5; since you did that, I don't see why you wouldn't use 1d7 just as well. This may seem like a slow progression, but consider that it's over and above the increasing enhancement bonus damage.

Finally, just my opinion, but I think non-magical weapons just shouldn't get funky abilities or damage out of scale with their size, weight, and other basic characteristics. To me, it seems wrong. Make it a unique magic item and then you've got something.

Solaris
2015-01-07, 03:15 PM
What kind of DC check is that to set the weapon off? Just a straight Dex ability check?
Why have the check at all to set it off, instead of limiting the times per day (see below) it can be used or something of the sort? With the DC check and the bonus damage die, you're doubling the dice you have to roll for each attack.

Why not cop to it being a gunblade and the 'trigger' fires off a load of alchemist's fire or something of the sort? That could limit the number of times you can fire it off by virtue of the fact that you'd need to reload it. It can even be a special alchemical substance which resonates with magical energies, increasing damage with the weapon's enhancement bonus/channeled spells.

That helps with the 'shock wave' issue, as sending a massive vibration through the blade really isn't going to increase damage so much as it's going to break the blade.

Wbteoz
2015-01-08, 02:11 AM
I don't see any way that this can be made without magic. For one thing, I can't imagine how you'd explain the shock wave in any believable manner, which is the problem you identified. But on top of that, you've got a non-magical hunk of metal that modifies how a magical effect (Arcane Chanelling or the like) operates, making it substantially more powerful; how can a mundae object make magic work better?
The progression of shockwave damage seems odd, especially the big jump in damage from +4 to +5 enhancement. The average damage from the shockwave progreses like this:

Enhancement

+0

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5

Shock Damage Roll

1d3

1d4

1d5

1d6

1d8

2d6

Average Shock Damage

I'd suggest this instead:

Enhancement

+0

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5

Shock Damage Roll

1d3

1d4

1d5

1d6

1d7

1d8

Average Shock Damage

I commend you, though, on your willingness to use odd number dice, i.e. 1d3 and 1d5; since you did that, I don't see why you wouldn't use 1d7 just as well. This may seem like a slow progression, but consider that it's over and above the increasing enhancement bonus damage.

Finally, just my opinion, but I think non-magical weapons just shouldn't get funky abilities or damage out of scale with their size, weight, and other basic characteristics. To me, it seems wrong. Make it a unique magic item and then you've got something.

Well I was considering it being made of a new type of material. I do have an idea (see below) but I'm thinking that it just needs to be magical. I feel as if it's way too unbalanced for a mundane weapon.

Haha thanks. I completely agree with your new progression. It makes way more sense.

What kind of DC check is that to set the weapon off? Just a straight Dex ability check?
Why have the check at all to set it off, instead of limiting the times per day (see below) it can be used or something of the sort? With the DC check and the bonus damage die, you're doubling the dice you have to roll for each attack.

Why not cop to it being a gunblade and the 'trigger' fires off a load of alchemist's fire or something of the sort? That could limit the number of times you can fire it off by virtue of the fact that you'd need to reload it. It can even be a special alchemical substance which resonates with magical energies, increasing damage with the weapon's enhancement bonus/channeled spells.

That helps with the 'shock wave' issue, as sending a massive vibration through the blade really isn't going to increase damage so much as it's going to break the blade.

Yeah I guess it's just a Dex check. Like I said, I don't know much about DCs and the like lol. That is an option I'll look into. I do feel that if I don't give it a limit (or a penalty for overuse) it'll be unbalanced. Though the extra damage is low if you consider other magic weapon properties, so with a penalty it becomes less useful. Almost not worth the risk. A limit on the other hand could work.

The reason I didn't do that is because I was attempting to be slightly more creative then just straight up making a gunblade. Plus someone has already came up with an alchemist's fire gunblade. I don't have a link but I have seen it. Also, if I went that route how would I explain it "shooting out" channeled spells? I know you mentioned a special substance with magical properties but I personally don't feel like that works. Of course it's more than what I came up with XD so regardless, I appreciate the suggestion and I will consider.

One thing I thought about was maybe having the blade and the trigger mechanism be made of different materials. When you pull the trigger, it causes a part attached to it to touch the blade. When that happens it creates a reaction causing the "shockwave" or pushes a channeled spell out. That could potentially explain a "non-magical" version of it.

Thanks for the help so far, guys! Keep it coming!

LordErebus12
2015-01-08, 10:48 AM
This reminds me of pathfinder's Coat Pistol/Sword Cane combo.