PDA

View Full Version : The Secrets of Esteroth - Intro

Christ. Michael
2015-01-06, 09:31 AM
Introduction to forum play:

Welcome to Fidel's Play-by-Post 5e Campaign, "The Secrets of Esteroth"

While we play online, in the privacy of our homes and places of employment, the goal is always to follow Rule 0: have fun! Using these forums allows us to be free of time and distance constraints - whether we live miles from each other in distant Alaska, or just a few blocks away, so we can enjoy a good game of Dungeons and Dragons. There is no table to sit around, no DM or player looking across the table at your die rolls to make sure that Natural 20 is an actual 20. Honesty and the honor system are what will keep this forum game real and fun. As much fun as it is to roll that 20 and describe how you cleave a foe from navel to chin, spraying blood and viscera along the faces of enemy and friend alike, there's also something to be said about failing a grapple check and, instead, lightly brushing the orc's hair behind its ear and making it feel slightly uncomfortable.

I have access to you all of your character sheets on Google Drive. For the sake of expediency, I prefer to make Perception rolls and Saving Throws for you all and then describe the results, instead of waiting for you all to individually post your rolls.

Example: You are all walking down a path in the forest, and something is following you. I roll Perception for each of you, and character's A, B, and D (fail their rolls) notice nothing. Character C (succeeds on his roll) has the option to investigate it further. It turns out to be a huge dragon that unleashes its breath weapon on you. A successful Roll means half damage. A, C, and D (fail) and take X damage. B succeeds and takes X/2 damage.

If you all prefer to roll everything for yourselves, we can do that.

For rolling on the go, I recommend using the Wizards's dice roller: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm. It's accessible on your phone, and has every type of die relevant to DnD. You can also modify the number of dice rolled under "Nbr", and put in your flat modifiers. For example, instead of rolling a d6 six separate times, you could change it to 6 under "Nbr", effectively rolling 6d6. It gives you a break down of each individual "die" roll and the total.

We're all playing in this together. Be nice and respectful. You are all playing individual characters with motivations and goals of your own. Everyone will have opportunities to direct the focus of the story.

This next section I borrowed from Rob. I'm sure his permission is implied:
"in combat, I will ask for a single initiative roll, modified by individual modifiers for to simplify initiative. Monsters will act as a group (or in groups depending on their modifiers) as well. When players declare their actions, please include any and ALL die rolls that would accompany that action (to hit AND damage for example). As each player declares their action(s), I will detail how it plays out (hits, misses, etc.) in dramatic, descriptive fashion. The opposite is true of my role; DM die rolls being secret, I will only display effects descriptively.

-out of combat situations will work similarly. Players can declare their intentions/actions (again, with appropriate die rolls, i.e. walking around a village investigating [27 Investigation]). I will describe all resolutions and outcomes."

Adding on to the last section, I would add that you should write out your actions, such as a speech, and then roll the appropriate skill check. The die roll is less likely to influence your RPing if you do it that way.

A link to a great 5e edition Player Reference Guide: https://drive.google.com/a/gallaudet.edu/file/d/0B2ubfq3Kaa_YZkI1Ti1RN09hbGs/view?usp=sharing

Lastly, and most importantly, DM ruling is final. I appreciate player feedback and ingenuity, but arguing and excessive bickering will not be tolerated. When in doubt, always refer back to Rule 0.

Let's get this started!

Christ. Michael
2015-01-06, 11:29 AM
You all live on the main continent of Esteroth. There is a peace in the land that has not been experienced in centuries. 89 years ago, a peace was reached between the 5 kingdoms, Palla, Troinnor, Wermaggan, Edaz, and Poyko. King, Lord, Chieftain, Queen, and Potentate all ignored the counsel of their wizards and fought against each other over age-old territory and resource disputes. The fighting grew fiercer and bloodier as each side refused to de-escalate.

The wizards had been the most vocal group, suing for peace before and during the war. Some of the cabals even refused to partake in the war, acting directly in defiance of their respective leader’s wishes. They intervened and, with their combined magical abilities managed to stop the armies and ensure a lasting peace. Each kingdom maintains its regional autonomy but, they all have agreed to be ruled by a wizard council of 5 to ensure that such conflict would never be seen again. The council is housed in the Gorbin Valley, the site of the last major battle. A new Archmage is elected every 10 years to lead the cabal in keeping the peace.

You are all in the Council City of Rufta. It is a pentagon with main gates at each of the 5 points. The city symbolizes the 5 groups of wizards coming together to form a lasting peace. All people are welcome as long as they leave their grudges at the gates. There is a river, running East-West through the valley, that forks right before cutting through the heart of the city. Inside the city there are many bridges and canals that integrate the river into the cityscape.

The seasons in this world mirror our own. Today is the 15th day of Korrik of the 89th Year after the end of the war, two weeks after the start of Fall and the harvest season. You have all entered through the northernmost gate of Rufta that spills into a a lush green section with trees providing ample shade with their leaves of green and light yellow. What do you all do?

Eruasaidh
2015-01-06, 12:48 PM
I stroll through town as Vodoc Eimear de Orsell the bohemian artsy gambler (Dnd proto-hipster), and admiring the scenery, while really asessing potential points of entry and escape routes. If applicable, I meet with contacts and or local chapters. If theres time after that Ill do a bit of gambling and art gallery type stuff.

A wood elf of the northern stock, pale skin covered in tattoos and piercings, gleaming with jewels and trinkets. Disconcerting snow white eyes gaze lazily about, or fix on something with predatory intensity. Thick silver hair hangs heavily down, sometimes tied with an elegant bow. Slim figure with a white brocade shirt and purple cravat, over which is a black velvet dovetail jacket with a stiff, high collar. Snug black pants of a leather-like material tuck in to glossy black knee-length monkstrapped boots. No visible weapons, but carries an elegant walking stick carved in runes.

AMMON
2015-01-06, 02:27 PM
I walk the market as AMMON in search of spell components, with hood on to not draw attention

Eruasaidh
2015-01-06, 02:33 PM
Vodoc Eimear sees Ammon trying to be inconspicuous in his hood. He sidles over and says: "You know...you look even more conspicuous with that hood on. Must be an amateur..."

AMMON
2015-01-06, 02:57 PM
Searching for a diamond I notice some weird guy staring me down. I stop and look directly at him, I smile and wave

Eruasaidh
2015-01-06, 03:27 PM
Walk over and say the above words

AMMON
2015-01-06, 04:14 PM
"When one looks as I do, it's best to leave the appearance of a cloak at first sight". Removing my hood slightly revealing to Vodoc Eimear that he is a white haired white eyed red skinned tiefling. I smile and say, "an amateur may be appropriate also"

AMMON
2015-01-06, 04:24 PM
With a slight bow I introduce myself, "AMMON of change".

Eruasaidh
2015-01-06, 04:52 PM
"Ah, I see. Maybe the hood is a less conspicuous choice. However, you could always go with a wide brimmed hat and closely wrapped scarf in Fall colors. Vodoc Eimear de Orsell."

(Visualizing and secretly make the sign of the glyph "Aref," taking ten on Insight for a 13 to understand Ammon's motives and character).

AMMON
2015-01-06, 05:00 PM
"I'll keep that in mind in my searches. Tell me Vodoc Eimear, what brings you to this town?"

"I myself am looking for a jewel merchant". I divert my gaze from Vodoc Eimear to seach the market area.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-06, 07:12 PM
Makes a secret sign of the glyph "nuf" (the veil)

"I am an elf of leisure. I make a comfortable living from games of chance, and an admirer of art and music. Why do you seek this merchant?"

AMMON
2015-01-06, 07:15 PM
"Looking to purchase a certain jewel. A diamond in fact"

(I assume I can see his hand gestures and become suspicious)

(I make an knowledge arcana check at for 18)
(Is this how this works?)

Eruasaidh
2015-01-06, 07:24 PM
(I assume I can see his hand gestures...)

Oh really? We'll see about THAT, sir!

DM7581
2015-01-06, 08:39 PM
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp30/Jake_Hideous/halfling-rogue2.jpg (http://s394.photobucket.com/user/Jake_Hideous/media/halfling-rogue2.jpg.html)

Vital Statistics:

HP: 12/12
AC: 19 (Scale Mail, Shield, Dex)

Saving Throws: Str (+3), Dex (+3), Con (+4), Int (+0), Wis (+1), Cha (+0)
Passive Perception: 13

Youthful in his look, but worn in his demeanor, Finnan cares little for the politics and magicks of Esteroth. Having left his home in the countryside, along with his family (2 younger sisters and a brother), he ventured out to seek glory and coin... mostly for them. His knack was in being a bit of a snitch-- as no one ever suspects the little guy-- but was turned more into a profession as his "tips" on who done what turned into him bringing in people to answer for their... crimes.

Crimes... yeah retrieving run away kids, pets, and yes, even trying to figure out which of his siblings "started it" kept him busy until one day, he ran down a shop lifter and turned him into the authorities. Proud over his accomplishment(s), he decided to take the stakes a bit higher and leave the small village to make a bigger name for himself, making his way to the Council City of Rufta. Easily overlooked, sometimes accidentally stepped on, he makes his way into the center of the marvelous marketplace. Never having ventured into quite this size a city, he spends the first few hours browsing wares, trying the local fare, and generally enjoying the new experience.

He takes to the nearby river, kicks off his boots, and splashes around, kicking back and enjoying his new life. Yeah, he is here for coin and glory, but big city life is quite exciting!

Ah... I can get used to this!

He figures to settle in day one, with the intent of contacting the local militia or authorities to see if any real bounties have been posted day two. He is a curious Halfling, so if anything does happen nearby to spark his interest or attention...

Perception 7+3=10

Christ. Michael
2015-01-07, 10:05 AM
"Ah, I see. Maybe the hood is a less conspicuous choice. However, you could always go with a wide brimmed hat and closely wrapped scarf in Fall colors. Vodoc Eimear de Orsell."

(Visualizing and secretly make the sign of the glyph "Aref," taking ten on Insight for a 13 to understand Ammon's motives and character).

Taking a cursory look over Ammon, you notice he's definitely trying to keep a low profile. His appearance would definitely be startling to many, even among such a diverse population as there is in Rufta. What he tells you about being in search of a diamond seems to be true.

(I assume I can see his hand gestures and become suspicious)

(I make an knowledge arcana check at for 18)
(Is this how this works?)

Nice roll.

Ammon, during your studies you have come across the two glyphs "Aref," (key) and "Nuf" (veil). These are part of a language used in invoking natural magic. Druids are the most well-known users of natural magic. When you see Eruasaidh making these symbols with his hand (because he is making no attempt to obscure them), you expect some kind of effect to manifest. Strangely enough, nothing happens. Perhaps he simply might have picked up the symbols in a random text and is just copying them.

Now, you two are right at the entrance of the Merchant's Circle.This is the area where different traders come and sell their wares. You see a variety of storefronts, such as pop-up stalls, small huts, tiny carts, and some merchants with nothing more than a four-legged table- most of these with nothing more than a few trinkets on display. A few shouts can be heard through the din of the crowd:

Get your good luck charms, here! Never fear breaking a mirror again.
Look at this amazing medal. It will will prevent you from drowning for as long as you can hold your breath!
Grasshopper legs! With these in your pocket, you'll never have to worry about those cracks and poor mother's back!

As you go further into the circle, you start seeing the more reputable and well-established vendors. It is there you will find large store fronts with window displays full of glittering jewels, others with exotic spices with wafting aromas, and several shops with a strange assortment of products: beetles, dragonfly wings, boar tusks, and feathers to name a few There is no shouting coming from these shops, because their customers are likely to head there for particular products.

During your exchange, Ammon and Eruasaidh, there has been a line forming behind you all while you stand and become acquainted. As the line behind you of angry, morning shoppers grows longer and longer at the hold up, they start shoving past you. Once the majority of the crowd makes it past you, the circle almost fills to capacity, and the sound of haggling echoes from the walls of the circles.

Finnan, while you are taking a look around the town, you are drawn by the sounds of the active market. Your instinct to look for interesting activity has led you in the right direction. Just as you enter the market and make it to the four-legged table full of shabby looking trinkets, you hear a shout,

Stop! Thief!

It seems to have originated from deeper into the Circle where the "nicer" merchants are. As you look up to toward the sound, there is a large shape that comes barreling towards you and the exit. There is a small trail of beetle eyes behind them as they are running.

What would you all like to do?

Eruasaidh
2015-01-07, 11:00 AM
I glance over with mild curiosity at the thief. Silvanus teaches us not to rush to conclusions. Perhaps the thief was merely taking back what was once his. And if it's beetle eyes, the greater greater dishonor is upon the merchant. It is blasphemous to defile a creature by selling its body parts.

AMMON
2015-01-07, 11:26 AM
Noticing the table area and where the screams come from, I don't rush to conclusions about who, what, or why and continue to observe the spectacle in case lives become in danger.

Plus, I'm still in line for this jewel

DM7581
2015-01-07, 12:20 PM
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp30/Jake_Hideous/halfling-rogue2.jpg (http://s394.photobucket.com/user/Jake_Hideous/media/halfling-rogue2.jpg.html)

Vital Statistics:

HD: 1d10/1d10

So a large shape? Like a mass of darkness or a human/humanoid? In either case, Finnan thinks to himself:

Well, I guess I'm starting a day early...

Finnan stands directly in the "shape's" path and holds out his hand, fearless regardless of any size difference.

I suggest you halt, friend. It's not worth... The beetle eyes (very confused over the situation)?

If he/she/it doesn't let up, I'll stand my ground (maybe try to trip him/her/it).

I take it my boots are back on. If the disruption was abrupt, Finnan has no problem walking around barefoot, as Halflings typically do.

Christ. Michael
2015-01-07, 01:13 PM
I'll say you had time between relaxing at the lake and walking to the Merchant's Circle. To clarify, it's a medium humanoid shape. I meant large in relation to you.

You all don't see any guards or anyone stepping forward to help out, except for young Finnan, who steps out in front of the fleeing thief. Ammon, all the people in front of you in line for the jewel shop have their necks craned around to look at the commotion. The shopkeeper seems to have held up business to catch a look too.

Make a trip attempt, Finnan.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-07, 01:30 PM
I'm looking at some nice shoes, subtly watching the action.

AMMON
2015-01-07, 02:06 PM
I walk closer to the commotion to inspect the scene.
(Because I'm not purchasing anything till this dies down)

DM7581
2015-01-07, 03:15 PM

Vital Statistics:

Keep in mind that I am also going to block the space this guy is running through, so he will also need to try to get past the "square."

12+5 (using Dex?)= 17 (15 if using Str)

Christ. Michael
2015-01-07, 03:38 PM
As the cloaked, medium humanoid comes barreling towards you, you stick your boot out and catch one of its feet. Because you were attempting to block its path, I rolled a Dex save for you to sidestep it and you successfully avoided being caught under it. The creature comes crashing down on the two armfuls of beetle eyes it attempted to steal. You all hear a squishy SPLAT as a pool of beetle eye juice starts slowly spreading from its torso.

When it fell, its hood fell back. It's a bald, human male. Standing above him, the only identifying feature is a large, gold ring on his right ear.

AMMON
2015-01-07, 04:33 PM
Gazing upon the sight of the bald man splattered in beetle eye juice brings me to a slight gag:smallsigh:

I make my way back toward Vodoc Eimear to find my items. I cannot help but to still be curious about this entire event. I play it cool walking back to the market, keeping an eye on the bald man. (Also Very impressed at the haflings courage and ability to bring down the big bald guy)

Eruasaidh
2015-01-07, 05:47 PM
I adress Finnan thusly; "Are you acquainted with the merchant from whom this (now prone) man allegedly purloined these fine beetle eyes?"

DM7581
2015-01-07, 11:52 PM
I adress Finnan thusly; "Are you acquainted with the merchant from whom this (now prone) man allegedly purloined these fine beetle eyes?"

Vital Statistics:

Finnan eyes the strange-looking elf (quite a description back there), eye-brow raised, before addressing him.

Afraid not, but someone yelled out "thief!" and he was running, so... Speaking of the merchant... Excuse me.

I secure the thief and call out to the merchant. I assume he doesn't try to escape or that someone else formally apprehends him. I help in collecting the beetles, investigating them curiously as I do.

If/when the merchant finally shows up to recover his good, I do my best slightly obvious, but not too obnoxious gesture in suggesting some sort of compensation.

Finnan High-hill, my good sir. I believe that I have successfully-- and single-handedly-- recovered your goods and caught the culprit. As you may or may not know, I am a professional bounty hunter, but I will part with less than my typical charge considering... Well, I do not take payment in insects, sir.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-08, 09:34 AM
I continue, with a sardonic grin and a tone that's more ironic and friendly than lecturing;

"So you attacked this man at the word of a merchant, who makes a living from theft. But I see that it was not even misplaced honor, but rather coin your motive, which now puts you on par with the thief. I now stand amidst a veritable triangle of thieves."

I say this in a private way, with a low voice and perhaps kneeling so as to adress him eye to eye (or to ear, if he doesn't bother to pay attention).

DM7581
2015-01-08, 01:06 PM
I continue, with a sardonic grin and a tone that's more ironic and friendly than lecturing;

"So you attacked this man at the word of a merchant, who makes a living from theft. But I see that it was not even misplaced honor, but rather coin your motive, which now puts you on par with the thief. I now stand amidst a veritable triangle of thieves."

I say this in a private way, with a low voice and perhaps kneeling so as to adress him eye to eye (or to ear, if he doesn't bother to pay attention).

Vital Statistics:

Finnan normally likes elves. He's not so sure about this one. Maybe city elves are different? Finnan looks at the elf, unapproving of his tone, demeanor, and even presence. He looks at him a moment more before responding.

If what you say is true, are we not all criminals? The very coin in your purse is then stolen goods? As might be your clothing, no doubt, purchased from one of the thieving merchants you so detest? No. While I care little for laws and their enforcement, one does have to make a living. What is done with this fool is none of my concern. If I make coin as a result of "justice," so be it.

Eye-brow raised, Finnan prepares a pipe, lights it, and takes a puff. He doesn't take his eyes off of the suspicious elf.

The name is Finnan. So are you native to this "thieving" cesspool, or visiting out of town?

--

DM: was I sufficiently compensated for my efforts? Also, fyi, if you ever roll a natural 1 for a Save, Ability (Skill) Check or Attack Roll, my Lucky trait allows a reroll. No limit. Nice.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-08, 02:41 PM
Now I'm enjoying getting a rise from the feisty halfling. The sarcastic grin slightly widens as I parry his words thusly:

"You have now made two more assumptions; One, that I have purchased these clothes. Two, is that I actually posess a coin purse with coin in it. For all you know, my mother could have made me these clothes.

You seem quite formidable. I do not feel safe with someone armed and capably violent as you are, running around jumping to conclusions about everything. And neither should you. Someone may use it against you some day.

But you make a point, I do have a few coins and have been known to deal with dishonorable merchants. But I've never known a halfling who wouldn't share a pipe..."

(I make a DISCREET gesture and silent homage to Milil, for I am honoring the god of words and poems by debating a worthy opponent. Also, though I'm inclined to like the spunky fellow, out of habit I visualize "met" and using Insight roll 13 against Finnan, probing his emotions and character...though he has revealed much...)

Eruasaidh
2015-01-08, 07:34 PM
(In a teasing tone) "AMMON, do you feel safe having this armed little sociopath running about?"

DM7581
2015-01-08, 09:40 PM
Now I'm enjoying getting a rise from the feisty halfling. The sarcastic grin slightly widens as I parry his words thusly:

"You have now made two more assumptions; One, that I have purchased these clothes. Two, is that I actually posess a coin purse with coin in it. For all you know, my mother could have made me these clothes.

You seem quite formidable. I do not feel safe with someone armed and capably violent as you are, running around jumping to conclusions about everything. And neither should you. Someone may use it against you some day.

But you make a point, I do have a few coins and have been known to deal with dishonorable merchants. But I've never known a halfling who wouldn't share a pipe..."

(I make a DISCREET gesture and silent homage to Milil, for I am honoring the god of words and poems by debating a worthy opponent. Also, though I'm inclined to like the spunky fellow, out of habit I visualize "met" and using Insight roll 13 against Finnan, probing his emotions and character...though he has revealed much...)

Vital Statistics:

Not sure what to make of the crazed elf or his purpose, Finnan takes another puff, again, not taking his eyes off of the shady fellow for a second.

He thinks to himself:

Well, I asked for the city life, and I guess this is it... Better to have a friend, I suppose.

Paying no heed to the pointless banter of clothes, coin, and thieves, he then finally offers the pipe to the elf.

Yes, sharing a pipe with a friend has always been a great past time.
In this case... I'll make an exception (handing the pipe to the elf). So tell me, what is your name and your business here in the council city?

Although still a bit skeptical, Finnan perhaps seems to be a bit more accepting of the elf than he was at first glance.

He is visibly flattered at being referred to as formidable and even violent, despite his best efforts to seem otherwise.

And who is this AMMON you speak of? Another thieving elf? I jest (laughs).

Do I have to write AMMON? I feel like I am yelling his name.

Also putting my sketch in the spoiler to lessen the amount of space my posts take up.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-08, 10:25 PM
Lol. I dont know. He always wrote it in caps so I went with it.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-08, 10:42 PM
"Vodoc. Though I'm what you call a 'wood elf' (that term always reminds me of termites) I spent much time in cities, and thus equally at ease beneath roof or branch.

Ammon is a friendly Tiefling who I fear is somewhat naive. Perhaps you should guard him against these ever present thieves.

As for myself, I'm an elf of leisure; I earn coin at the games, and spend it on art, music, and baser pleasures.... Halflings always have the best tobacco...Thank you."

(Exhaling with gusto, mentally praising the perfection of Sylvanus.)

AMMON
2015-01-09, 11:39 AM
as it would seem we are just surrounded by thieves and the theif lIke so I would be best to be on guard of all in this area. AMMON of change in the present.

Gazing at the elf and hafling smoking a pipe AMMON gesters to the two in hopes to partake of this friendly exchange of smoke.

would you all extend your friendship to another? Also, what's to be done about the bald one

Christ. Michael
2015-01-09, 11:49 AM
Finnan High-hill, my good sir. I believe that I have successfully-- and single-handedly-- recovered your goods and caught the culprit. As you may or may not know, I am a professional bounty hunter, but I will part with less than my typical charge considering... Well, I do not take payment in insects, sir.

A few moments after you manage to apprehend the human, a rather round merchant dressed in fine silks comes running up to you, raggedly breathing, and upon hearing you answers:

"Recovered my goods," you say? Hardly! I have half a mind to hold you responsible for my damaged merchandise. (Deep breath upon surveying the spreading beetle juice) All those beetle eyes...That was my entire stock and, at 2 silvers a piece, my week's earning are shot. I was always taught to make scrambled eggs even among a few broken shells, but what I am to do with beetle eye juice? They are ruined! Where is Yon? He has yet to return. Who is supposed to go into the forest to go and gather more eyes for me?

After doing some mental calculations, he takes a moment to compose himself and address your subtle request.

Yes, well, you did catch the culprit. That must be recognized. Take these few coins as a small token of my appreciation. I will press full charges and make sure this criminal is punished to the full extent of the law! We have had a regular string of robberies occurring in and out of Rufta. This is the second time this week someone has attempted to to run off with our hard earned merchandise. My cousin at the jewelry shop back there recently had a a bag of precious gems stolen from his pocket as we coming back from our afternoon meal. Can you believe the gall? In broad daylight!

The merchant begrudgingly pulls out 5 silver pieces from a pocket on the inside of his silks and hands them to you. Clearly, his appreciation is truly small.

He is a young halfling, just a few years into adulthood. Like other halflings, he seems to have a positive outlook towards life that allows for new experiences with little judgments against strangers. Considering how well, he has taken your jibes, he doesn't take himself too seriously.

I play it cool walking back to the market, keeping an eye on the bald man.

Most of the patrons that were in line in front of you have all started crowding around the portly merchant, Finnan, and Eruasaidh, leaving the jewel merchant to focus solely on you.

Hello, my frriend. I am afrraid my shelves arre not up theirr usual stock. I have rrecently been rrobbed, you see. Please, take a look arround and let me know how I might be of serrvice. Did I hearr corrrectly you werre searrching for diamonds? Forr yourr mate, perrhaps? A gift? Ah, you look like the kind of perrson that can recognize quality adorrnment whe you see it.

He motions for you to come further back into the shop towards one of the diamond displays.

AMMON
2015-01-09, 12:18 PM
the diamond good sir is for research and not to adorn a mate. A small diamond will do just fine along with some inscence, charcoal and a brass braiser pot. 35 gold pieces should suffice

Christ. Michael
2015-01-09, 12:37 PM
the diamond good sir is for research and not to adorn a mate. A small diamond will do just fine along with some inscence, charcoal and a brass braiser pot. 35 gold pieces should suffice

Ah, a dabblerr in the arrcane arrts? Yes, the Lady Fhamorel Tarrmikos came in just a few days ago for similarr items. I will gladly make these things available to you...He takes a look at your hood and staff, noting a lack of visible demonstrations of wealth....prrovided you have the coin, of courrse.

DM aside: How do you have 130 gp? Your character background only gives you 10gp.

DM7581
2015-01-09, 12:41 PM

Vital Statistics:

His first day in the city and so much has already happened.

A city dwelling wood elf (who partakes in smoking a pipe)?

A friendly tiefling? As if such a thing exists!

Of course, Ammon. There is plenty tobacco for all (gesturing for Vodoc to offer him next).

So many questions, and so much to learn. All in due time?

A bit annoyed at the merchant at girst. Finnan gladly and ecstatically accepts his 5 sp reward, it seeming much more than he would have expected.

Drinks on me tonight new friends! So what are all these items for? A diamond, charcoal?

Finnan suspects magic at play, but thinks little of it, not letting his predispositions get the best of him.

Christ. Michael
2015-01-09, 12:55 PM
Do I have to write AMMON? I feel like I am yelling his name.

DM ruling: RAW on the character sheet requires full capitalization. Make it so.

AMMON
2015-01-09, 05:21 PM
it seems my good merchant I can afford 13 gp. This should do

Eruasaidh
2015-01-09, 05:39 PM
Ammon of Change. That is an interesting surname. What does it come from?

AMMON
2015-01-09, 05:50 PM
Change is but one of the names my master is known as, he gave me everything I know and am, that makes me of the change

Eruasaidh
2015-01-09, 07:28 PM
Nature is change, yet constant. Represented by Selune. The moon/feminine is constantly changing. Aref. Flux.

Yet it's also constant- the moon is always there, even if we don't see it. Qem. Constance, strength, fixation. Your master is powerful, but dangerous: Too much Change/Aref, and you lose your way. Yet too much Constance/Qem, leads to compulsion and addiction. Nature is balance; Tread carefully...

AMMON
2015-01-09, 11:07 PM
as I'm very well aware you know of change and balance, I'm not here to dicuss the philosophy held in ideology just yet my good wood elf. Change is always at our feet and it is in our daily walk we move through it.

Gazing toward the shop keeper to see if he will grant me my needs for 13gp I pat Vodoc on the shoulder and smile.

it's a great day when an elf and a hafling share a smoke

Eruasaidh
2015-01-10, 04:25 PM
I cringe when Ammon pats me on the shoulder.
"Sorry, I don't like being touched. Nothing personal."

I go over to the shopkeeper and use persuasion to get Ammon a better rate. Got an 8 total. Wop wop...least I tried.

Christ. Michael
2015-01-12, 10:32 PM
it seems my good merchant I can afford 13 gp. This should do

13 gold coins. I see. It seems, my frriend, you do not have enough coin forr everrything you wish to purrchase, both diamond and arrcane favorrs. I apprreciate yourr elf frriend's efforrts, but I my cousins and I am businessmen, you see. Alrready my inventorry is quite low due to the jewels stolen frrom me, and my cousin you met suffers from vagabonds.

He takes a moment to tug on his mustache as he hears you and Erusaidh try to make your case. The smell of tobacco prompts him to pull his own pipe, a light hay colored, wooden pipe with a brass bowl. He packs it with his own smoking tobacco and takes a puffs before continuing.

Perrhaps puff, puff we could be of serrvice to each otherr. Yes, puff, puff you have need of coin and my cousin has need of his Yon.

The round merchant enters his cousin's shop at this moment, and it provides you an opportunity to observe the two of them of side by side. Their eye color, a bright brown, and their most prominent feature, big noses with tufts of nose hair peaking out from under their nostrils, are what the two have most in common. After that, the two could not be more different. The jewel merchant is tall ,thin, and clearly the older of the two with bags under his eyes. Every time he blows a puff of smoke, you see the glint of a gold tooth just peak out from between his lips framed by a long and thick mustache. The round merchant you met before is shorter and distinctly round. He has no mustache, but a short, pointy beard, and large eyes open wide so you can see a great amount of white. His only adornment is a gold chain around his fat neck.

What is this about Yon? Yes, he is quite late coming back from the forest. He must have fallen asleep coming back on errand, the lazy oaf! He is overpaid and quite underworked.

Cousin, I was about to offerr a trrade with our new coinless puff,puff frriend herre. His incense forr morre of yourr beetle eyes. It is, I believe puff,puff something that could be mutually beneficial.

Yes, yes. A bargain if I ever heard one!

Think it overr, my tailed frriend. puff, puff Come back tomorrow morrning with yourr decision.

Finnan, you mentioned about paying for drinks with your first "bounty" in Rufta. The nearest tavern is The Painted Turtle between the North and the North East gate.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-12, 11:03 PM
Ill do nothing until I meet my good friends in town to talk and pray...

DM7581
2015-01-13, 12:00 PM

Vital Statistics:

Yeah, I am just hanging back and kickin' it until we hit the tavern. This is supposed to be my first day in the city and I was expecting a little more relaxation than action.

Christ. Michael
2015-01-13, 09:33 PM
Ammon, anything to add before we move on?

AMMON
2015-01-14, 12:01 AM
I look toward the shop keeper and state in a firm tone:

In show of good faith and to aid in this exchange, part with me all I ask of in absence of the diamond and I'm sure we can help each other out. What do you say?

Eruasaidh
2015-01-14, 07:14 PM
I disappear somewhere and rinse out my mouth. I shared a pipe with Unbelievers... Not a sin, but there may be residual taint. I do this out of sight so as not to offend potential allies.

I pray for guidance, then I will go to the Painted Turtle in the evening. Although I won't drink most alcohols; it has to be a natural ferment with no distillation, heat, or additives. Also In small amounts and in my own mug (so as not to use bar mugs, surely unwashed and sullied by thousands of filthy Unfaithful lips).

My character isn't actually saying this stuff out loud by the way.

Those of the secret faith shun physical contact with Unbelievers but freely accept it among each other. Many of our rituals involve hedonistic practices.

DM7581
2015-01-15, 11:59 AM
I disappear somewhere and rinse out my mouth. I shared a pipe with Unbelievers... Not a sin, but there may be residual taint. I do this out of sight so as not to offend potential allies.

I pray for guidance, then I will go to the Painted Turtle in the evening. Although I won't drink most alcohols; it has to be a natural ferment with no distillation, heat, or additives. Also In small amounts and in my own mug (so as not to use bar mugs, surely unwashed and sullied by thousands of filthy Unfaithful lips).

My character isn't actually saying this stuff out loud by the way.

Those of the secret faith shun physical contact with Unbelievers but freely accept it among each other. Many of our rituals involve hedonistic practices.

Vital Statistics:

If I notice any of this, I just think to myself:

Weirdo.

AMMON
2015-01-15, 02:05 PM

Vital Statistics:

If I notice any of this, I just think to myself:

Weirdo.

If I happen to see this display also I think the exact same

Eruasaidh
2015-01-16, 04:16 PM
Love how everyone thinks they have an Eye of Sauron that can see everything

Christ. Michael
2015-01-19, 08:02 PM
I look toward the shop keeper and state in a firm tone:

In show of good faith and to aid in this exchange, part with me all I ask of in absence of the diamond and I'm sure we can help each other out. What do you say?

Trrustworrthy individuals arre so difficult to come by, but one has to starrt somewherre, rright? Verry good. My cousin herre shall prrovide you with all that you ask as an advance payment for our serrvices tomorrow. Geirmund, if you please.

The older merchant introduces himself as Askr. He hears you all ask about The Painted Turtle, and gives you quick directions to it. Out to the entrance of the Merchant's Circle, towards the North East Gate, up past the Trickling Fountain, and directly across from the stables.

Just as he wraps up the directions toward the tavern, Geirmund returns with all the components you requested, Ammon. He's deferring to his older cousin, but is obviously loathe to part with his goods without payment in hand.

Be sure that you return by the morning bell tomorrow, or else we shall know you as no better than a thief! Hm.

After departing from the circle, you all walk towards the Trickling Fountain. There are a variety of people gathered around it. Some placing their feet into it to cool themselves off, others sitting in pairs and chatting in the middle of the afternoon. The fountain is a bit of an oddity, because the water does not flow from top to bottom, but from the bottom basin to the overturned pitchers of the little satyrs perched on it.

You can see two small crowds gathered around each of them. The crowd closest to the fountain is clapping in time to the sound of a Half-Elf playing a fast little ditty on a set of pan pipes and, from the group furthest from the fountain, you can hear Oohs and Ahhs as a gnome fire spinner creates tiny flame spouts, long strings of flame that wind in the air like sidewinder snakes above their heads, and flaming rings floating above the ground rise that he deftly flips through.

From behind you, there is the sound of hooves. You turn around and see a pair of leather wearing riders guiding their mounts towards the stables. They ride by you all rather quickly, hardly even noticing you. There's a slight breeze blowing towards you all coming from the direction of the stables and, surprisingly, there is not a single trace of horse manure in it. This must be the cleanest stables anyone of you has ever run into. You can hear the neighing of various horses coming from inside, and a slight clanging of metal from horseshoes being replaced. The riders dismount and hand the reins of their horses to one of the stables attendants. As soon as they do, they go directly across the street towards a 2-story building with a giant turtle painted above its door. Even from this distance, you can see the shell is slowly shifting colors, from light purple to a dark brown that matches its walls, and every color in between.

What would you all like to do?

DM7581
2015-01-20, 10:30 AM

Vital Statistics:

Bottoms up!

If it isn't too early in the day, well, it must be 5 o'clock somewhere.

To the tavern, friends! First round is on me!

I keep my eyes on the group of leathered individuals who made their way in. I didn't care for their callous entrance. Maybe it is just me being nervous about being trampled by a horse.

AMMON
2015-01-21, 12:58 AM
I gather the supplies and join Fin in the tavern for a drink to discuss what we've just been tasked for and in hopes to create a friendship with these new fellows in the city that don't seem to mind having a tiefling man in their presence.

AMMON
2015-01-21, 03:45 PM
Fin, may I call you Fin? I wonder what brings a halfing of your immense presence to this city?

Sitting back awaiting finnans reply, I take a sip of my brew and take a look around to get a feel of those in the tavern.

DM7581
2015-01-21, 05:40 PM

Vital Statistics:

(chuckling at the "compliment?") Yes, Fin is fine, but only if I can call you Ammon. What do you say, AMMON? My immense presence, huh? Well... I come from humble begins and wish nothing more to earn enough coin to see my family well taken care of. I suppose I can tag along tomorrow. If it turns out either of you truly are thieves as the merchant suspects, I'll be right there to turn you in (winking). Ha! I jest... Or do I? (chugging his ale and slamming the mug down, finished) Another!

Eruasaidh
2015-01-21, 08:27 PM
I gather the supplies and join Fin in the tavern for a drink to discuss what we've just been tasked for and in hopes to create a friendship with these new fellows in the city that don't seem to mind having a tiefling man in their presence.

Not at all. In fact I'm quite flattered to be in the presence of such a majestic being, more so a devotee of Change, a force that I can find relation to and respect for even if our interpretations may be different.

I inquire as to Ammons origins (genuinely fascinated, as I regard demons as legitimate and powerful beings of nature): "Where did you come from? And your parents?"

Also I try to pry more about Ammons philosophy, one of my favorite subjects. In a non judgemental way, I ask about Change and what it means to him.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-21, 08:38 PM

Vital Statistics:

(chuckling at the "compliment?") Yes, Fin is fine, but only if I can call you Ammon. What do you say, AMMON? My immense presence, huh? Well... I come from humble begins and wish nothing more to earn enough coin to see my family well taken care of. I suppose I can tag along tomorrow. If it turns out either of you truly are thieves as the merchant suspects, I'll be right there to turn you in (winking). Ha! I jest... Or do I? (chugging his ale and slamming the mug down, finished) Another!

"A respectable goal. Family is paramount, and from what I see so far, they will be well provided for."

(After he chugs all that ale); "Impressive. I think you might put a dwarf to shame, with both mug and sword."

"Did you notice those riders coming in? They have a bad energy. In particular, I didn't care for the way they handled their horses. Horses are more sensitive than people realize. Also... I find it strange that a stable doesn't smell. It's supposed to smell pleasantly earthy. Imagine if your tobacco didn't smell? It would be unpleasant."

I keep an eye out for my friend and politely excuse myself if I see her.

I've revealed strange things about my character in the voice of "the player" and not the voice of the actual character. These things aren't meant for your characters to actually know, it's more to amuse us. Though these things are creepy and bizarre, try not to let that influence your character... Or else it feels like you're cheating :)

Christ. Michael
2015-01-21, 10:37 PM
The moment you come inside you are hit with a sound of deep, raucous laughter.

...and I told him, "That's not me mule, that's me mum!"

The source seems to come from a dwarf in the very back of the tavern. He is filling a bucket of bubbly, brown beer from the far left tap in a row of three. Above his head you see a row of glass jars and bottles. All of them are at various levels filled with colors ranging from clear white to dark, blood red. The lower, more accessible ones looking shinier than the ones on the higher shelves, which look dusty from being parked for so long. Sitting directly across from the bar taps are three humans, each with a small glass filled with amber liquid being poured out from one of the dusty bottles. The three of them clink their glasses together before taking back a swig.

The first thing that you really notice in the bar is how none of the furniture seems to match. A long, rectangular table the color of charcoal right next to a small circular one with one leg that's shorter than the other ones; another small two-seater (more like a halfling-seater) with moss growing where the cushion should be next to a table you three could walk under without having to duck. All of these tables are arranged around one large wooden table with a bright glare on it reflecting the little sun that makes it through the doors. No one seems to be sitting there. The chairs as well, seem to "match" the tables. Chairs with no backs, benches, short, squat stools, and a rocking chair that rocks side to side instead of back and forth. If all of the chairs were taken, there is a length of bench built into three of the four walls. There is a single slim figure holding a clear glass of water that is sitting on this bench. Their position allows them to keep an eye on the door and account for every person that enters, and you notice that her eyes seem to lock onto Erusaidh.

All over the walls, you see portraits of beautiful landscapes, though most of them seem to have the same figure on them: that of the dwarf behind the bar. His dark brown beard is the most recognizable part of him in each of the paintings, whether it's from the top of a crow's nest looking down with a round, green shape on his shoulder, or on a sandy beach with him running away, with a wide-toothed grin, from what looks like the size of a small dog with a bright green shell on its back. These kind of pictures just cover the walls.

Ye can have a seat where ye like, lads. Eye'll be with ye in a moment, the dwarf calls out from behind the bar as he sees the three of you enter. He walks around the bar top very slowly due to a limp. He is dropping off the bucket of beer and two mugs at an S-shaped table where the two leather-bound riders are sitting. While placing the items on the table, you can see the size of his arms. Large and sinewy, they are. Clearly he changes his own kegs. After a few short words with them, he limps towards you.

What's yer poison, gents? We have a heady mead that'll soon have ye forgetting yer names, or me own special housebrew. Brownbeard's me name, and brown beer's me specialiality. Me gramps recipe, you see. 'Tis a secret recipe only we Brownbeard's know. Won't have ye forgetting yer name, but 'twill have you pissin yer britches if ye dun mind while ye drink it. HA!

He points at the fire at the hearth. There is a smaller female dwarf with the same brown hair on her head instead of on her chin. She is rotating a lamb on a spit, while ladling some seasoning mixed with the grease she's catching from underneath it.

Before ye get too far into yer cups, I suspect ye'll be wanting something to fill yer bellies. Lunch'll be ready soon. My Amber sets a fine table.

Taking a moment to look at the hall's occupants, there do not seem to be that many. It is still early afternoon - certainly much to early to be 5 o'clock. What would you all like to do?

Eruasaidh
2015-01-21, 11:46 PM
"Charmingly eccentric decor. Most unusual... The beauty in dwarven art comes from masterful symmetry, yet you seem intent on throwing that stereotype. It's almost Gnomish in its discord, yet tied together with the repeating brown theme."

After I finish my conversation lines with Ammon and Finn, I politely excuse myself and go meet my friend.

Personal thoughts; Did the dog give him that limp? The smell of roasting animal flesh is nauseating. Ugh.. why must she be so conspicuous drinking that gaudy glass of water.

AMMON
2015-01-22, 12:08 AM
Taking my brown ale in one hand turning to fin:

Yes Ammon or AMMON are as i am known so these will do just fine. Im also sure we will find our fair share of thieves in the near future.
with a wink i raise my mug to Fin in salutations.

Addressing Erusaidh:

My family or clan has never been know to myself. I stumbled upon my master at the age of three where he took me in and cared for me, sharing with me his art. Change is all that has been known to me and i accept change as my friend/family/lover. It is in the wind change speaks to me and its guiding hand is what i trust. After all, this same change brought me to the surroundings of the fearless halfling Fin, and the noble sacred druid Erusaidh.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/elprofe322/20150107_143220-1.jpg But obviously with my hooded cloak on

AMMON
2015-01-22, 12:34 AM
I do wish to find some solitude after we have all chatted. I will need some time to meditate and use my newly acquired tools ignored to summon a somehow familiar friend.

DM7581
2015-01-22, 10:00 AM

Vital Statistics:

I thought his name was Vodoc (his username is Eruasaidh)...

And yes, I am playing in character, but I think Vodoc has been unusual enough for me, a Halfling, to raise an eyebrow here and there. A Wood Elf with such urban tendencies does arouse some suspicion I am sure.

Regarding the stables:

Yes, that was quite unusual... Back home, it would have smelled like, well, a stable. (Finnan thinks to himself that city-folk go over and beyond in keeping things unnecessarily clean, thinking nothing more of it)

I also think we are a bit out of order, time-wise.

As a Stout Halfling, I do favor the company of dwarves, so...

Brown beer it is for us, good Brownbeard! Finnan's the name. Who is that delightful fellow over there (referring to the boisterous dwarf)?

If we can sit near them, I'll gladly take the Halfling-sized chair and we can carry on our conversations. I'll even listen in to whatever the Dwarf has to say, chuckling at the stories, and having a good 'ol time. When lunch seems to be ready, I'll have my napkin tucked under my collar, fork and knife ready (that is if utensils exist in Medieval Times [the time period, not the restaurant]). Halflings love to eat.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-22, 08:44 PM
Yes its Vodoc. Good call.

In midieval times, the heavily gravied food was often served on a large slice of hard bread that acted as a plate, which was then sometimes given to the servants to eat afterwards. I don't recall utensil use specifics. If you're interested, there's an amazing book on midieval life called A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman

Eruasaidh
2015-01-22, 10:22 PM
Taking my brown ale in one hand turning to fin:

Yes Ammon or AMMON are as i am known so these will do just fine. Im also sure we will find our fair share of thieves in the near future.
with a wink i raise my mug to Fin in salutations.

Addressing Erusaidh:

My family or clan has never been know to myself. I stumbled upon my master at the age of three where he took me in and cared for me, sharing with me his art. Change is all that has been known to me and i accept change as my friend/family/lover. It is in the wind change speaks to me and its guiding hand is what i trust. After all, this same change brought me to the surroundings of the fearless halfling Fin, and the noble sacred druid Erusaidh.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/elprofe322/20150107_143220-1.jpg But obviously with my hooded cloak on

I make a gesture of silence to him.

"I am honored and intrigued at such a personal disclosure. But that was reckless. There are many who would be suspicious or hostile if they heard of your spiritual views. Especially being a Tiefling. You never know who is listening... I humbly suggest that you exercise caution.

Also, I'm not a Druid, merely Vodoc the gambler..." (Sly grin).

(I implore Selune, the moon goddess, manifesting with the Veil aspect [sometimes represented as a lunar eclipse], to obscure his and my own words.)

AMMON
2015-01-23, 11:56 PM
"Thank you for your word and concern Vodoc"

Christ. Michael
2015-01-27, 01:40 PM
I thought his name was Vodoc (his username is Eruasaidh)...
That's my mistake. I keep copy+pasting his user name from the left column before I post.

Who is that delightful fellow over there (referring to the boisterous dwarf)?
This is Brownbeard. He was the one pouring the bubbly, brown beer from the taps. He was joking with the three humans sitting directly across from the taps on the bar. Did you mean to sit next to them and listen in on their conversation?

_________
Ha! My Amber wonders how anyone would ever want to come in here. Been open for 10 years, we have. We serve all types here, and everyone's comforts are unique. Why not provide a unique space?

Before Brownbeard limps back across the bar to go fill three mugs of beer, he takes an extra second to look at Ammon, but shrugs his shoulders and says nothing more. Erusaidh took a few moments to walk over to the slim figure sitting on the bench. They speak for a few minutes before she gets up and walks through the front door.

Amber Brownbeard declares the meat to be ready. She begins to slice the meat on a large metal plate, ready to be distributed. In true medieval fashion, she hands out trenchers made of dark, hardened bread to those that are hungry, fills them up with a gravy made from the juices of the lamb and, finally, goes from table to table poking the several cuts of meat with her knife and placing them in your trencher.

Well, lads. Won't ye have a bite?, Amber says when she approaches your table.

AMMON
2015-01-27, 01:47 PM
a plate sounds marvelous, especially a plate of meat this well cared for. my gratitude to you lady brownbeard.

DM7581
2015-01-27, 05:16 PM

Vital Statistics:

Oops. I thought there was another dwarf. So yeah, I'll sit with my new friends, but try to stay in ear shot of the boisterous group and listen in to anything that may be interesting.

I also gladly accept the food, gorging ravenously. I see him having been raised on a farm-like environment anyway, so what the heck.

Christ. Michael
2015-01-29, 01:50 PM
I assuming that Vodoc refuses, so Amber serves you up two trenchers with mutton. Her confusion at this apparent look of revulsion at cooked flesh is quickly forgotten when she sees the Halfling. It might be a special fondness for her shorter cousins, or she might be a Hispanic Dwarf, but you can see her beaming at Finn as he gets to work on the plate set in front of him. Amber goes back to the bar to serve the humans.

In between the slurping of the gravy, the chomping of the mutton, and tearing of the hard bread, Finn, you can make out the conversation the humans are having at the bar.

The three raising their glasses again

Three humans -To the loveliest lass and the best cook in the city: Amber!

Amber: Come now, boys. Yer food'll get cold. 'Taint nothing special. After all, ye've been coming to this place for years. Surely ye've gotten tired of me old recipes, Avery.

Avery, the human sitting closest to the door: Those recipes have kept me fed for the past 5 years. That's no mean feat. I have a very discerning taste, you know.

Human the next seat over: Mnf cthee hoo horth few pfff uh ughay meeef-

Avery: Don't be disgusting, Kerwin, and talk with your mouth full.

Kerwin: SWALLOWS I said, I've seen you eat a piece of gray meat off the ground after a night of drinking.

Avery: Ahem Yes, well. We have all done things we aren't proud of after a few hours of drinking.

Kerwin: Oh, yeah. There was that one night we were playing some dice in the street. You remember? We lost you for a time, and we found you in a pen, suckling with a sow. You kept calling her-

Avery: That's quite enough, Avery. Thank you! Amber doesn't need to hear about our nightly escapades.

Amber: Hahaha. A sow, Avery? (Amber's face goes bright red as she bursts into loud, throaty laugh. It seems that she gets her lungs from her father, as well as her brown hair) I'm not sure being "the loveliest lass" is too high a praise comin' from ye, then. What's the matter, Baritt? Ye haven't touched yer food.

Baritt, the human sitting furthest from the door: Oh, nothing's the matter, Amber. My wife's ready to have our second babe. I'm just enjoying some time out of the house before we get a wailing, bundle of blankets in the house. My oldest, little Barry, wouldn't stop crying for the first two months after he was born. A right colicky baby. He didn't let me sleep for weeks. My artistic processes are hampered when I can't get a good night's sleep.

You would think your dad would be louder than a newborn, but oh no. Little Barry would give your dad a run for his gold.

Amber: Congratulations, Baritt. You know yer always welcome here for a respite.

Eruasaidh
2015-01-30, 07:39 PM
Sooooo...moving right along?

Christ. Michael
2015-01-31, 12:46 PM
Scene at the bar

GONG, GONG. GONG, GONG

Brownbeard yelling from the cellar AMBER! Quit yer chin-wagging, girl. The afternoon bell's rung. There're mugs to be cleaned before the evening crowd comes in.

Amber: COMING, DA'.

Amber runs down the steps to the cellar, just as Brownbeard comes up. The veins in his arms are bulging as he carries a new barrel towards the bar. After the final gong dies away, you see the same Half-Elf that was outside, walking through the doors of the tavern and talking to someone outside-

Yes, lovely people. Thank you. Thank you for your kind words. Now, it is time to give my pipes a rest and refresh myself with the finest brew in the city. The faster I drink, the sooner I will return to playing.

Brownbeard chuckles when he sees him walk in. Davfalcon, you scamp! Just because ye talk up me bar, don't mean ye won't have to pay yer tab at the end of the night, ye know.

Davfalcon Oh, Brownbeard, you wound me. I would never try to steal from you. Besides, I am sure some kind patron will have a few extra coins in their pockets for a good song. People do love coming here to hear me play.

Sure enough, the sparsely populated tavern starts with customers trickling in right after Davfalcon. Some go right up to him, asking for a song but end up disappointed as he shakes his head. Others know to respect his space, and sit at various tables, pointing and saying his name in whispers. Eventually, the trickle becomes a steady stream of people. The door opening and closing every few minutes, makes for an increasingly crowded room.

Did you all want to stick around for the entertainment or continue exploring the city?

Eruasaidh
2015-02-01, 02:53 PM
I listen to the musician intently then leave and begin my plans. I'm itching for action

AMMON
2015-02-01, 03:35 PM
I quietly eat my meal listening to the conversation around me along with the music of Davfalcon. If nothing interesting is heard by me then I too slip away and begin a ritual to summon a familiar.

DM7581
2015-02-01, 11:47 PM

Vital Statistics:

I suppose I'll stay as long as the others.

(still stuffing my face)

Where to friends?

I'll play tag along for now. See what mischief they get involved in.

Ketiara
2015-02-02, 05:57 AM
Im thinking you are only waiting for me.

Tobias Brogan enters the tavern. As always he scans the surroundings looking for emergency exits as well as sizing up the people inside.

Tobias isnt especially tall, but he looks lean and agile. Doesn't take much to see that he is soldier trained. He wears his dark hair in a warriors tail, and his garb is that of a ranger. He carries an unstrung longbow with intricate carvings, and a groove for the string. All in all a very beautifully carved bow, that can also be used as a walking staff, but on top a very crude wooden carving of something looking like a flaming sword is nailed to the bow. Although he moves like an experienced soldier, he cant be much older than 20.

Only the most perceptive notices the surprise as he spots a strange group. The surprise is off his face as quickly as it came.

Tobias thinks:
a Halfling, an Elf and some demonic creature, that must be the Thiefling He spoke about.

"follow the strange signs, He says" "Follow the odd omens, He says" "And you will find the group". (Still thinking)

First the the group of birds dropping dead from the sky, and then unnaturally clean stables. And here they are!

I guess it wasn't my imagination afterall Tobias mutters to himself disappointed.

Satisfied that there is no immediate threat in the room, he gives his best smile, as he approach the table.

Barkeep, Ill have what they are having, and give them another round on me!

Tobias sits at the table next to the companions.

You guys look like the kind of guys a man can make a name for himself with, my name is Tobias Brogon

Cheers!

Tobias empties half his mug, and stuffs his mouth with meat. Tobias looks around the table smiling and nodding to the group while happily chewing the delicious meat.

this could have been worse

he says with his mouth full as he nods to the selling.

DM7581
2015-02-02, 11:25 AM
Im thinking you are only waiting for me.

Tobias Brogan enters the tavern. As always he scans the surroundings looking for emergency exits as well as sizing up the people inside.

Tobias isnt especially tall, but he looks lean and agile. Doesn't take much to see that he is soldier trained. He wears his dark hair in a warriors tail, and his garb is that of a ranger. He carries an unstrung longbow with intricate carvings, and a groove for the string. All in all a very beautifully carved bow, that can also be used as a walking staff, but on top a very crude wooden carving of something looking like a flaming sword is nailed to the bow. Although he moves like an experienced soldier, he cant be much older than 20.

Only the most perceptive notices the surprise as he spots a strange group. The surprise is off his face as quickly as it came.

Tobias thinks:
a Halfling, an Elf and some demonic creature, that must be the Thiefling He spoke about.

"follow the strange signs, He says" "Follow the odd omens, He says" "And you will find the group". (Still thinking)

First the the group of birds dropping dead from the sky, and then unnaturally clean stables. And here they are!

I guess it wasn't my imagination afterall Tobias mutters to himself disappointed.

Satisfied that there is no immediate threat in the room, he gives his best smile, as he approach the table.

Barkeep, Ill have what they are having, and give them another round on me!

Tobias sits at the table next to the companions.

You guys look like the kind of guys a man can make a name for himself with, my name is Tobias Brogon

Cheers!

Tobias empties half his mug, and stuffs his mouth with meat. Tobias looks around the table smiling and nodding to the group while happily chewing the delicious meat.

this could have been worse

he says with his mouth full as he nods to the selling.

Vital Statistics:

Not to turn down a round, friend, but to what do we owe the pleasure? What brings you here? I think we were all to head off just now... What say you, Ammon, Vodoc? Another round, yes?! Agreed! To new friends!

The seemingly naive Halfling, though not a city dweller, starts to put his guard up a bit. Too many "new friends" and just his first day here. Something must be up.

(thinking to himself) Strange crowd I have found myself in. Let's see where it takes me, but I should not be too trusting of these city-dwellers.

I think this especially of the Tiefling (by nature of his race and eerie aura) then of the city-dwelling "wood" elf (not buying it), and, though this last fellow is yet to arouse suspicion aside from the free drinks for no good reason, I'll keep an eye on him too.

Nice bow. May I?

Do I notice anything strange about this guy?

Ketiara
2015-02-02, 03:51 PM

Vital Statistics:

Not to turn down a round, friend, but to what do we owe the pleasure? What brings you here? I think we were all to head off just now... What say you, Ammon, Vodoc? Another round, yes?! Agreed! To new friends!

The seemingly naive Halfling, though not a city dweller, starts to put his guard up a bit. Too many "new friends" and just his first day here. Something must be up.

(thinking to himself) Strange crowd I have found myself in. Let's see where it takes me, but I should not be too trusting of these city-dwellers.

I think this especially of the Tiefling (by nature of his race and eerie aura) then of the city-dwelling "wood" elf (not buying it), and, though this last fellow is yet to arouse suspicion aside from the free drinks for no good reason, I'll keep an eye on him too.

Nice bow. May I?

Do I notice anything strange about this guy?

Im wearing a cloak a studded leather armor and a shortsword. I have a filled backpack, and Im dusty from travelling the road. My clothes is military made, but without any visible ranks. I do wear an old military rank insignia around my neck in a leather string.

I give the halfling a quick lookover, and then a big smile.

Be my guest!

As I enthusiastically describes the carvings on the bow.
One being a band of orcs attacking a village being held back by one man with a bow. The other is of a man with a bow being speared by a troll as he fires his last arrow hitting it dead in the eye.

Sorry I never did get your name?

I let the halfling study the bow on his own, as I finish my mug.

Ahhh! Tobias Brogan is my name, as for me being here, lets say a series of odd events brought me here.

I look around to see if anyone else is listening in.
Passive Perception: 15
If I'm satisfied no one else is listening in I continue.

Someone told me that my future would be with an odd group of fellows instead of a company of archers.

Signals the barkeep for a refill

So here I am

I say with a big smile

I like how DM7581 always has his vitals close by, Ive posted mine in the sig. Along with a pic thats pretty close to how I look... im a bit more youthfull

AMMON
2015-02-02, 05:30 PM
another sounds to be good company to this enticing plate of Meat. Cheers Fin

Takes another mouthful.

Tobias, who is this person who gave you word of your future with a strange bunch? And what gives you confirmation that we are indeed that group?

I give a flashy grin to not show much of my sharp teeth.

Ammon of Change, pleased to meet you

Ketiara
2015-02-02, 05:47 PM
another sounds to be good company to this enticing plate of Meat. Cheers Fin

Takes another mouthful.

Tobias, who is this person who gave you word of your future with a strange bunch? And what gives you confirmation that we are indeed that group?

I give a flashy grin to not show much of my sharp teeth.

Ammon of Change, pleased to meet you

Tobias looks at Ammon with childish curiosity his smile never leaving his face or eyes.

remarkable, Ive never seen someone from another plane

But as he ponders Ammons question, his smile fades.

This is not a light tale for a public inn, but I can say that HE (I look at the top of my longbow, and frowns) ordered me to follow the odd and omens to the strangest groupe and together we would invoke change...

But I don't know, might be my imagination... HA!

Tobias chuckles to himself as he cleanses his plate with the last hump of bread stuffs it into his mouth, and looks to check whats taking the barkeep so long.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-02, 05:49 PM
Ah, hello Tobias. I like the lore regarding your amulet. I'm partial to amulets myself (many amulets and tattooed symbols are seen all over my person). I also enjoy art, music, and gambling.

Are you a soldier? For which army, may I ask? Where are you from, and what brings you here?

Finnan... Youre still eating? You must have a bag of holding for a stomach.

Ketiara
2015-02-02, 06:03 PM
Ah, hello Tobias. I like the lore regarding your amulet. I'm partial to amulets myself (many amulets and tattooed symbols are seen all over my person). I also enjoy art, music, and gambling.

Are you a soldier? For which army, may I ask? Where are you from, and what brings you here?

Finnan... Youre still eating? You must have a bag of holding for a stomach.

I was a solder or Archer to be exact in King Pallas army. Had been for 6 years when my commander relived a lot of us due to this everlasting peace.

And now - As I told Ammon destiny brought me here

Tobias cant seem to keep from flinching whenever he mentions some king of divine intervention.

And yes Finnan would surely challenge the most hardy dwarf in an eating competition... HAH! Remind me to be more careful offering him free food or beer in the future!

Now Tobias addresses everyone
Tf you feel you could need my assistance, im pretty decent with a bow, and my eyes are young and keen, I would very much like to join you guys

Eruasaidh
2015-02-02, 09:02 PM
My eyes are also keen. And they see contradictions. Why do you flinch when you mention the divine, yet describe it as your reason for being here? You say you're a soldier, yet your uniform displays no rank or medal. Were you dishonorably discharged? That may not be a bad thing... Perhaps you had a crisis of conscience and refused an order. I am not judging you, just observing and inquiring.

Tobias might be just illustrating character and giving us teaser hints just for entertainment, kind of like I was. But he seems to do it in a more overt way, hence my reaction. If it was the former then disrregard this whole post

DM7581
2015-02-02, 11:43 PM

Vital Statistics:

I allow the taller ones to discuss and banter as I finish my meal and drink. When an opening arises...

Yes, friend. Where are my manners. Finnan. Finnan High-hill. Yes the gods can be puzzling at times. So what do these images or premonitions tell you?

It seems the conversation is heating up. I'll sit back and watch Vodoc and the new guy go at it.

Regarding your last question (a few posts back), DM, I take it we are sticking around, at least partially, for the entertainment.

AMMON
2015-02-03, 12:22 AM
My eyes are also keen. And they see contradictions. Why do you flinch when you mention the divine, yet describe it as your reason for being here? You say you're a soldier, yet your uniform displays no rank or medal. Were you dishonorably discharged? That may not be a bad thing... Perhaps you had a crisis of conscience and refused an order. I am not judging you, just observing and inquiring.

Tobias might be just illustrating character and giving us teaser hints just for entertainment, kind of like I was. But he seems to do it in a more overt way, hence my reaction. If it was the former then disrregard this whole post

I too watch this scene of Vodoc and Tobias escilate. If things come to a more aggressive tone i intervine:

Tobias! Wrapping my arm around him

sit and tell us where your from? Family? Sisters? I wink at Tobias and use my Thaumaturgy cantrip to make it appear as though I have 2 golden pupils for the duration of my wink for only Tobias to see.

Ketiara
2015-02-03, 05:53 AM

Tobias saddens.

I realise now that Im not as good at hiding these particular feelings as I thought.

Tobias sighs.

Sometimes the Gods doesn't care about the wishes of their selected. So to answer your questions, I was a soldier, and a good one. The military was my family. He took that away. He said I would find my answers on the road if I followed the odd and omen, till I came across a group consisting of a halfling, an elf and a thiefling. And I thought that was never going to happen! heh but here you are. So I guess some good may still come out of this.

Tobias makes a sigh of resignation, and a little smile. He is perhaps even a little relieved to have said it out loud.
He takes a sip of his mug.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

you are as persuading as any elf I've ever met. And as newcomer to the group, I hope I can invoke the guest right, and request we didn't push this subject any further for now.

Its the mark of an upright flaming sword, made by someone not skilled in woodwork. It is the sign of Tempus god of War

Eruasaidh
2015-02-03, 10:31 AM
Tobias saddens.

I realise now that Im not as good at hiding these particular feelings as I thought.

Tobias sighs.

Sometimes the Gods doesn't care about the wishes of their selected. So to answer your questions, I was a soldier, and a good one. The military was my family. He took that away. He said I would find my answers on the road if I followed the odd and omen, till I came across a group consisting of a halfling, an elf and a thiefling. And I thought that was never going to happen! heh but here you are. So I guess some good may still come out of this.

Tobias makes a sigh of resignation, and a little smile. He is perhaps even a little relieved to have said it out loud.
He takes a sip of his mug.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

you are as persuading as any elf I've ever met. And as newcomer to the group, I hope I can invoke the guest right, and request we didn't push this subject any further for now.

Its the mark of an upright flaming sword, made by someone not skilled in woodwork. It is the sign of Tempus god of War

Ah, I see. You have been blessed with a prophetic message from Tempus. Few receive such an honor (makes a sign). It was wise of you to listen. As us three have had no prior contact, I rule out any conspiracy on your part. But the god of war sending you to us is a serious omen. I am concerned. Excuse me, I must go pray.

(I leave)

Ketiara
2015-02-03, 12:40 PM
But the god of war sending you to us is a serious omen.

Yea that I wasted three weeks buttering up Kara Marsk from The Drunken Duck.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-03, 03:46 PM
Yea that I wasted three weeks buttering up Kara Marsk from The Drunken Duck.

Lmao.........

DM7581
2015-02-03, 05:53 PM

Vital Statistics:

DM: Which pantheon are we playing with then? I need a refresher on the none-default deities out there.

While, not particularly religious, Finnan knows better than to snub the gods.

So are we somehow entwined with some greater destiny? I just arrived here, with aspirations for wealth and glory, yes, but not necessarily looking for anything of such a grand scope. Tell us, friend, what do you know of our fates or our purpose?

Time for a pipe, yes?!

Ketiara
2015-02-03, 06:16 PM

Vital Statistics:

While, not particularly religious, Finnan knows better than to snub the gods.

So are we somehow entwined with some greater destiny? I just arrived here, with aspirations for wealth and glory, yes, but not necessarily looking for anything of such a grand scope. Tell us, friend, what do you know of our fates or our purpose?

Time for a pipe, yes?!

Ahh its always time for a pipe

As for greater destiny, I have no idea whatsoever. The Gods might just have a cruel sense of humor.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-03, 08:18 PM
After I pray I sit outside the tavern waiting for the new allies... Elven genes are asking for open sky.

Christ. Michael
2015-02-03, 11:13 PM
DM: Which pantheon are we playing with then? I need a refresher on the none-default deities out there.
Working with the Pantheon of the Forgotten Realms. You'll find them on page 294 of the PHB. IF you're more comfortable using the deities of Greyhawk, that works fine too.

______

Just as Vodoc stands to leave The Turtle, Davfalcon slams down his second mug of beer on the counter with a bit of force-

Ah! Brownbeard, I have seen my inspiration, and it lies at the bottom of your brew. It is time to put my pipes to work.

With a flourish, he jumps down from his stool and nimbly hops onto the empty table in the middle of the room, panpipes in hand. He plays a few scales to warm up and, at the sound of the first note, a few shushes are heard as the crowd eventually grows silent, waiting for the beginning of the performance.

This one is for that special lady in my heart. Many a night have we sat next to the fire and spoken until the sun finally rises in the sky. At these words, many giggles break out from the crowd, most notable from Amber who has resurfaced from her labors in the cellar. At the sound of Davfalcon's words, she begins to blush and compulsively dry her hands with her apron, even though there isn't a single drop of moisture on them.

The tune begins with a long and low note before transforming into a medium pace tune, and grows quieter as you all walk out the door.

Does anyone else have a pipe and pipe weed for smoking? Finn will smoke right through his supply at this rate. Anyway, once you are all outside you have the stables directly across the street from you and, back the way you came, is the trickling fountain. In that direction is also another entrance to the city. There are a few people milling around the street, while several walk past you to enter the turtle. The fire spinner is one of the few that remains from the crowd you saw earlier. He is sitting on the edge of the fountain counting his take for the day.

I quietly eat my meal listening to the conversation around me along with the music of Davfalcon. If nothing interesting is heard by me then I too slip away and begin a ritual to summon a familiar.

Where would you like to go in order to start the ritual? It requires one hour of uninterrupted casting for it to be successful.

AMMON
2015-02-04, 12:08 AM
I turn to those near me and say

I'll meet you all near the fountain in 2 hours time.I must tend to something important

I look for a quiet area that is away from the commotion of the town. Outside of the town if I cannot find solitude within its wall.

--------------
DM- must I roll to find a quiet place?

Christ. Michael
2015-02-04, 12:21 AM
The sun is lower in the sky now, the last rays of sunlight peak out through the gray clouds above you as the shadows grow longer. There is an opening to an alley if you look behind the tavern. It appears to be far from prying eyes.

Keep in mind that the ritual requires chanting and burning of charcoal and incense. It might draw some attention.

It's your first night in the city and, considering most settlements close their doors at night, there is the possibility you might be locked out before your ritual is complete.

AMMON
2015-02-04, 12:59 AM
Ammon sees the surrounding and looks for an area where he will not be heard or draws attention to himself. Though he sees shops closing up around him he is certain that he will be able to survive and find shelter in an outdoor environment. He continues till he finds a suitable place and begins burning coal speaking the needed verses of his rirual.

--------
Must I roll for Something?

Ketiara
2015-02-04, 01:41 AM
Just as Vodoc stands to leave The Turtle, Davfalcon slams down his second mug of beer on the counter with a bit of force-

Ah! Brownbeard, I have seen my inspiration, and it lies at the bottom of your brew. It is time to put my pipes to work.

With a flourish, he jumps down from his stool and nimbly hops onto the empty table in the middle of the room, panpipes in hand. He plays a few scales to warm up and, at the sound of the first note, a few shushes are heard as the crowd eventually grows silent, waiting for the beginning of the performance.

This one is for that special lady in my heart. Many a night have we sat next to the fire and spoken until the sun finally rises in the sky. At these words, many giggles break out from the crowd, most notable from Amber who has resurfaced from her labors in the cellar. At the sound of Davfalcon's words, she begins to blush and compulsively dry her hands with her apron, even though there isn't a single drop of moisture on them.

The tune begins with a long and low note before transforming into a medium pace tune, and grows quieter as you all walk out the door.

Does anyone else have a pipe and pipe weed for smoking? Finn will smoke right through his supply at this rate. Anyway, once you are all outside you have the stables directly across the street from you and, back the way you came, is the trickling fountain. In that direction is also another entrance to the city. There are a few people milling around the street, while several walk past you to enter the turtle. The fire spinner is one of the few that remains from the crowd you saw earlier. He is sitting on the edge of the fountain counting his take for the day.

Where would you like to go in order to start the ritual? It requires one hour of uninterrupted casting for it to be successful.

"Ill have to get myself another pipe. Mine broke falling into a horses trough a few nights ago. My tobacco got wet on that occasion aswell"

Looking at the stables across the street.
"Finn have you ever seen stables that clean?"

DM7581
2015-02-04, 09:22 AM

Vital Statistics:

Come to think of it, Tobias, I never have, but where I'm from everything else is just as different. There is something especially "clean" about the city compared to what I'm used to.

DM, what did it cost me for the food and drink? Also, since you mentioned it, I'll go and buy some back-up tobacco before the shops close and hang near the fountain for everyone else.

Ketiara
2015-02-04, 09:45 AM

Vital Statistics:

Come to think of it, Tobias, I never have, but where I'm from everything else is just as different. There is something especially "clean" about the city compared to what I'm used to.

DM, what did it cost me for the food and drink? Also, since you mentioned it, I'll go and buy some back-up tobacco before the shops close and hang near the fountain for everyone else.

Ill tag along and get a pipe and Tobacco.

Christ. Michael
2015-02-05, 10:07 AM
Ammon sees the surrounding and looks for an area where he will not be heard or draws attention to himself. Though he sees shops closing up around him he is certain that he will be able to survive and find shelter in an outdoor environment. He continues till he finds a suitable place and begins burning coal speaking the needed verses of his rirual.

--------
Must I roll for Something?

No need to roll. You've got the alley behind the Turtle as well as several others behind the establishments on this street, or you can find accommodations at an inn. If you go into an inn, you should consider disclosing to the innkeeper that you're lighting stuff on fire indoors. Another options is casting it here by the fountain where there aren't that many flammable things and there's a water source in case someone gets singed. Do you want to go outside the city after all?

DM, what did it cost me for the food and drink?
Whoever's paying, it's 4 cp/mug and 3 sp/portion of lunch.

Finn, you remember there being a tobacco stand at the Merchant's Circle when you were there earlier. You can show Tobias. It's a short walk away from where you are, about 10-15 minutes. As you walking further into the circle, you notice that most of the smaller pop-ups are no longer there, the loud voices that echoed off the walls are absent, and most of the shops towards the back end are closing and shuttering their windows. The tobacco shop is not only identified by the smells emanating from its inventory, but also the sign outside with three brown leaves with their stems all pointing towards the center on a white background. Just outside the door, you see the owner sitting down having a smoke from his own pipe.

Vodoc?

I shared the entire folder on drive where all the character sheets are stored. I realized that by only sending out links to the files therein, it made it a hassle on updating them. It meant you or I would have to download them, update them, re-upload it as a separate file, then send the link of the new file. The pdf does not actually replace the versions when you use the "Manage Versions" option. It's not 100% streamlined, but I eliminated the last step of sending out a new link each time a uploaded to the folder by giving you all direct access. By sharing the entire folder, it made all your character sheets visible to everyone else, but I changed that. I like the idea of only the DM and the player being privy to that information. It's up to you all to share whatever you want with the other players.

There's also a calendar I've been working on. You all have access to them for knowledge of upcoming holidays, phases of the moon, festivals, and for just keeping track of days gone by. I'll be adding a few more things as we go along. The gold star lets you know what day "today" is.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-05, 11:45 AM
The calendar is a cool feature. Very immersive.

Vodoc stays up late gambling, not at the Turtle. Its too proper. He'll hit up all the grimy spots, not above using deception (glyph:nuf) to cheat.

Then trance out 4 hours from about 4 am to 8 am, just outside the city, in a spot suitable to meditate on the gods, (reciting mantras tattooed on arms, prayer beads, hand signs, and yoga-like poses).

Followed by ritualized exercises to sharpen strength and speed before breakfast, then looks for the rest of the group.

AMMON
2015-02-05, 01:25 PM
Ammon will approach the in keeper and request a room. He will relay that he will be burning incents inside the room but that will be all. He is certain that if seen conducting this spell by onlookers from the town that they will suspect him at some evil doings. Best to conduct such in private. I Approach the innkeeper and inquire how much for a room.

Ketiara
2015-02-05, 05:38 PM
"Shopkeeper, if you have time I would like to purchase 1/2 pound of your best tobacco and a pipe of some sort... Do you have a favourite pipe you would recommend for a man like me?"

If I have to make a check to lower the price I would like that.

If he has a pipe at a reasonable price and tobacco I'll buy it and get back to the turtle inn and find a room for the night.

EDIT: Im also going to be doing some archery gambling when I get back... And drinking ofcourse.

Christ. Michael
2015-02-07, 11:31 PM
Just as your mind wanders to thoughts of gambling and swindling swindlers, you hear the fire spinner get up from the fountain and speak to himself,

All in all, not a bad take for a day's hard work. Now, time to try my luck again at Miss Maggy's Parlor for a game of dice. Maybe Chance will smile upon me some more. Not like last time when I got cleaned out...

Your ears perk up at the word dice, and you follow him. He leads you to a building past the stables.

The building the spinner stop in front of has a door flanked by two pink rose bushes, and that's the nicest thing about it. It is hardly even a building, and more like a shack. The roof looks like it's threatening to fall off, and the "door" is just a blanket that might have been white in its past life.

Past the blanket you see a wizened old woman in a dark blue robe with a few figures sitting around her in a half circle, each with various piles of coins in front of them - the largest is in front of the old woman. She's holding a cup with two dice. When you walk in behind the fire spinner, the cup and dice disappear into her sleeve faster than you thought her crooked fingers capable of moving. She looks at you with suspicious eyes, scanning you for any kind of official insignia. Satisfied that you're not part of the city guard, she motions you to sit down with a grunt. She passes out two wood blocks to you and two to the fire spinner, and the circle widens for you both to join.

It's a simple game of Odds and Evens. All the players play individually against the woman. Each block has, in white chalk, written elven characters for "O" or "E". You put the amount you bet in front of you, along with a block for your guess.

Place your bets, she croaks.

Give me three guesses and bets so I can roll the results, and we'll see if you wish to continue after that.

You came at the right time, my friends. I was ready to close shop for the day as soon as finished my pipe. I will not deny you the pleasures of a good smoke, so please come inside.

Look around you. In here you shall find the finest a tobacco leaves Esteroth has to offer. No where else shall you find a greater selection and the incomparable quality as what I have on my shelves.

There, the leaves of Hirthwau. These purple delights are harvested only by moonlight. You'll find it peppery up front with a long, savory finish. Or the weeds of the Poykean Sea. That one is known to be well-stocked on the Potentate's galley. These are 20 silvers and 24 silvers per pound, respectively.

Perhaps you would enjoy the Dwarves' Kunchuftel. It is specially grown, packed, and transported underground. In fact, it never sees the light of day until you first open up the pouch. It helps it retain its moisture for a slower burning smoke- one that will fill your home with scents of cinnamon and open up your appetite for a lord's feast. This one is 16 silvers per pound.

And here we have a selection of tobacco for those with a less, er...developed palate: the Goronbina. It is a tobacco blend that is grown locally, here in the valley, and is regularly kept in stock. The price for this variety is 5 silvers per pound.

As for pipes, they are all hand-made by local artisans. My stock is made by members of the Woodcarving Guild in conjunction with the Metal Workers Guild for pipes that have a bit more personality. Take your favorite one of the wall, as they are all 1 gold coin. Investing in a good pipe is investing in the knowledge that this will be the last pipe you will ever need. I will even have your name inscribed on it. It will truly be one of a kind!

There are also a handful of simple clay pipes. With regular use, they will endure for about one year. At 2 silvers each, they are a bargain.

So, what would you like?

Tobias, what would you like to say to the merchant? Make a Persuasion roll along with your appeal. Same for you, Finnan, in case you want to chime in.

Ammon, the nearest inn is just across the way from the fountain. It's a fairly large building with its three floors. The sign out front is in the shape of a giant hand shifting from an open palm-up position, to a closed position, as if beckoning you to enter.

Once inside, the first person you see is the innkeeper, a human female that introduced herself as Nancy.

Please, please. Come in. Take your hood off an' make yourself at home. Will you be staying with us long? We have a room available on the second floor for 5 silver pieces a night. Would you like to stay there?

Her accent can be pinpointed to the farm country in Western Pallas. Her tone is very warm and welcoming. Though her voice does not reveal anything, her smile falters and she frowns slightly trying to figure why you would refuse to doff your hood once you're indoors. Your black eyes with their thousand points of light seem to be making her a little uneasy.

Incense, you say? Her nose wrinkles a little at your mentioning of burning things inside of a room All of our rooms have fresh straw on the floors, an' we even have some scented candles. We prefer to use those instead of incense or anything else. I'm sure it won't be a problem, just as long as you're careful. Were you hungry? We have a separate room with tables and chairs where we can serve you.

The sound of steps and a liquid swishing inside a jug alert you to someone coming up behind you. It is a large man with a dark brown, almost black, beard taking a drink from his container. He's got a white apron with various stains down his front over a black shirt, black and white checkered pants, and a black hat tilted to one side.

Naw, Nancy. Kitchen's closed. SWIG We're allll closed up for the night.

How is that possible? We haven't even served dinner yet.

Well, the meat order never came in today. We've got nothing to serve except some pasta and some bread leftover from breakfast this morning.

Guajiroshi, really? What are we going to do with all of our guests?

SHRUG I dunno what to tell you, but this jug of Ol' Gerbin's and I have a date at Miss Maggy's. See you tomorrow.

Luckily for you, you already ate at the Turtle. Following shortly after Guajiroshi, there's a stream of disgruntled people coming from the steps and the dining area, all headed towards the exit in search of a meal. This bodes well for you because most of the rooms should be unoccupied while you perform your summoning ritual.

Nancy leads you up to your room. As you go upstairs to your room, you pass by several paintings and candle holders mounted on the wall to light the way. Standing before a door, Nancy pulls out a candle from her pocket and lights it with another on the wall before she leads you inside. The flickering light shows you a modestly furnished room with a straw bed and a small table with a single chair. A slight smell of citrus wafts from the candle she lit.

This one's my favorite scent. It reminds me of the trees back at home. Anyway, I'll let you settle in. I'm downstairs if you need anything. I've got to try to figure out this food situation.

Finally, you are alone and can confidently assume you won't be disturbed. Go ahead and describe your ritual for me.

Ketiara
2015-02-08, 09:07 AM
You came at the right time, my friends. I was ready to close shop for the day as soon as finished my pipe. I will not deny you the pleasures of a good smoke, so please come inside.

Look around you. In here you shall find the finest a tobacco leaves Esteroth has to offer. No where else shall you find a greater selection and the incomparable quality as what I have on my shelves.

There, the leaves of Hirthwau. These purple delights are harvested only by moonlight. You'll find it peppery up front with a long, savory finish. Or the weeds of the Poykean Sea. That one is known to be well-stocked on the Potentate's galley. These are 20 silvers and 24 silvers per pound, respectively.

Perhaps you would enjoy the Dwarves' Kunchuftel. It is specially grown, packed, and transported underground. In fact, it never sees the light of day until you first open up the pouch. It helps it retain its moisture for a slower burning smoke- one that will fill your home with scents of cinnamon and open up your appetite for a lord's feast. This one is 16 silvers per pound.

And here we have a selection of tobacco for those with a less, er...developed palate: the Goronbina. It is a tobacco blend that is grown locally, here in the valley, and is regularly kept in stock. The price for this variety is 5 silvers per pound.

As for pipes, they are all hand-made by local artisans. My stock is made by members of the Woodcarving Guild in conjunction with the Metal Workers Guild for pipes that have a bit more personality. Take your favorite one of the wall, as they are all 1 gold coin. Investing in a good pipe is investing in the knowledge that this will be the last pipe you will ever need. I will even have your name inscribed on it. It will truly be one of a kind!

There are also a handful of simple clay pipes. With regular use, they will endure for about one year. At 2 silvers each, they are a bargain.

So, what would you like?

Tobias, what would you like to say to the merchant? Make a Persuasion roll along with your appeal. Same for you, Finnan, in case you want to chime in.

Persuasion: roll 8+0=8

Ill have some Hirthwau leaves. Lets say a pound, and as for pipes, ill have two claypipes. I have a habit of sitting on them.
Lets say 20 silver for the lot?

AMMON
2015-02-08, 07:20 PM
Ammon, the nearest inn is just across the way from the fountain. It's a fairly large building with its three floors. The sign out front is in the shape of a giant hand shifting from an open palm-up position, to a closed position, as if beckoning you to enter.

Once inside, the first person you see is the innkeeper, a human female that introduced herself as Nancy.

Please, please. Come in. Take your hood off an' make yourself at home. Will you be staying with us long? We have a room available on the second floor for 5 silver pieces a night. Would you like to stay there?

Her accent can be pinpointed to the farm country in Western Pallas. Her tone is very warm and welcoming. Though her voice does not reveal anything, her smile falters and she frowns slightly trying to figure why you would refuse to doff your hood once you're indoors. Your black eyes with their thousand points of light seem to be making her a little uneasy.

Incense, you say? Her nose wrinkles a little at your mentioning of burning things inside of a room All of our rooms have fresh straw on the floors, an' we even have some scented candles. We prefer to use those instead of incense or anything else. I'm sure it won't be a problem, just as long as you're careful. Were you hungry? We have a separate room with tables and chairs where we can serve you.

The sound of steps and a liquid swishing inside a jug alert you to someone coming up behind you. It is a large man with a dark brown, almost black, beard taking a drink from his container. He's got a white apron with various stains down his front over a black shirt, black and white checkered pants, and a black hat tilted to one side.

Naw, Nancy. Kitchen's closed. SWIG We're allll closed up for the night.

How is that possible? We haven't even served dinner yet.

Well, the meat order never came in today. We've got nothing to serve except some pasta and some bread leftover from breakfast this morning.

Guajiroshi, really? What are we going to do with all of our guests?

SHRUG I dunno what to tell you, but this jug of Ol' Gerbin's and I have a date at Miss Maggy's. See you tomorrow.

Luckily for you, you already ate at the Turtle. Following shortly after Guajiroshi, there's a stream of disgruntled people coming from the steps and the dining area, all headed towards the exit in search of a meal. This bodes well for you because most of the rooms should be unoccupied while you perform your summoning ritual.

Nancy leads you up to your room. As you go upstairs to your room, you pass by several paintings and candle holders mounted on the wall to light the way. Standing before a door, Nancy pulls out a candle from her pocket and lights it with another on the wall before she leads you inside. The flickering light shows you a modestly furnished room with a straw bed and a small table with a single chair. A slight smell of citrus wafts from the candle she lit.

This one's my favorite scent. It reminds me of the trees back at home. Anyway, I'll let you settle in. I'm downstairs if you need anything. I've got to try to figure out this food situation.

Finally, you are alone and can confidently assume you won't be disturbed. Go ahead and describe your ritual for me.

AMMON enters the room and places his belonging into the far corner of the room. Grabbing his small bag of supplies he pulls a chair towards the center of the room. He takes a seat leans back and gives a long sigh of relaxed relief.

AMMON thinks to himself:
Such a long journey... How did I ever end up here old man? Lets see if this spell you gave me will work out

AMMON pulls out The brass brazier, charcoal, incense, and herbs he obtained from the merchant he made a pact with from his bag. Finally removing his cloak he trows it on the bed and stretches out his arms as far as he can as though he is trying to touch either walls of his room. AMMON grabs a bowl of warm water and a rag polishing off the brass brazier cleaning it in hopes to make it as new as possible. Looks towards the window and opens it before beginning.

AMMON sits on the floor legs crosed in the center of the room with all of his supplies in front of him, all ingredients in their own pile ready for use. The tiefling rubs his hands together vigorously accumulating heat in both his palms then claps them together 3 times immediately placing them over his eyes. at this point AMMON white eyes with no visible sclera turns black with small points of light throughout the balls of his eyes. He is now at the gate of a different realm with fog as far as the horizon of this strange plane.

AMMON bellows in a firm tone at this gate:
Keeper of The Gate, Lord of Hidden Road Between This Realm and The Next, I call on you. A follower of the Old Ways calls out to you. Open the gate between this Realm and the Next for I would traffick with the willing

AMMON is now at the face of the gate, the gate lets out a large gust of air flowing inward toward the door of the gate as it slowly creaks open. The door opens fully as AMMON is pulled immediately to physical body.
The charcoal is the first to be set ablaze in the brazier, his arms now flowing like water in the air above the burning charcoal. He utters words in an arcane tone as though repetitive motion.

As his arms are moving, his tail moves to the pile of incense grabbing a pinch and tossing it into the brazier of burning charcoal. The room is now filled with a pleasant aroma of amber and sandalwood.

AMMON now verbalizes in infernal:
I call upon a willing entity. If there are any among you who would reveal yourself to me this night then be with me now in this sacred space. Indicate your presence

AMMON continues this almost meditative movements of his hands and arcane chanting and then finally with his trial once more grabs the herbs that were piled near the brazier and tosses them into the fire mixture.

He continues this ritual until a presence is revealed from his spell.

DM7581
2015-02-09, 10:52 AM

Vital Statistics:

I did buy the first round of drinks and probably had at least 2 more. That, with the food set me back 5 SP and 4 CP. I also take a rune inscribed pipe (the 1 GP variety), looking at my more "simple" pipe and finally getting the chance to upgrade. I still stow the other pipe in case I ever lose this one.

Back home, 'Ma would have slapped me for spending a gold coin in just a pipe. Ha! I'll also take a pound of the Dwarves' Kunchuftel. Yes, that one sounds good. As for the pipe, let is say "Finnan High-hill." F-I-N-N-A-N, H-I-G-H-dash-lower case H-I-L-L. Yes. This will do nicely (examining his soon to be new pipe).

That sets me back another 16 SP and 1 GP. I made the changes on my sheet. Do you want me to upload this whenever I go shopping?

Persuasion is 9+0=9. I guess I just pay asking price here.

I take my leave for the rest of the night. I assume we may be meeting in the tavern so I look for a room there. In the PHB, a "poor" room (common room in the tavern) runs 2 SP, so I will take that. Of course, on my way back to the tavern, I see myself saying:

Eh, what's the harm in one more mug of ale?

Let's make that 3 and say that Finnan drinks and sings the night away with whoever would have his company, retiring late, up early and hungry for breakfast fit for a Halfling. Yes, that would be another 3 SP? There he will wait, feasting until everyone meets up and is ready to head out.

Day one has set me back 3 GP, 7 SP, and 6 CP. I start thinking to myself that this whole extravagant city lifestyle will not last without some sort of income. I hope there is some coin in this little adventure for me.

Ketiara
2015-02-09, 01:05 PM
tobias drinks for a total of 40cp also counting what he gets when he gets back to the inn.
He eats for 4sp and the pipes and tobacco is 20-24sp.
This is a total of 28-32 sp.

Tobias thinks nothing about spending around half his wealth in one night... Money is ment to be spend!

Semi drunk Tobias is persuaded to a few games of archery. Tobias will bet 1 gp pr game and max loose 5 games.
Im not quite sure what to do to win? But Im guessing its 3 arrows and if I get enough points Ill win? Or am I shooting against someone?

Either way heres the first three arrows:

Roll 10 + 7 = 17
Roll 4 + 7 = 11
Roll 12 + 7 = 19

Apparently the alcohol has effected Tobias more than he thought. But win or loose he is up for another round.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-09, 11:32 PM
I bet 1 g per throw and all evens.

Christ. Michael
2015-02-11, 07:39 PM
As you all have correctly ascertained, you did not successfully convince the tobacco merchant to provide you with any sort of discount. He's much too shrewd a salesman to let go of his profits.

Congratulations on your purchases of some of the finest tobacco products in the land. It seems that you all have quite the lungs. hehe. That should be enough leaves in there to last you both well into Tetor (2 months from now). As long as you keep them in the pouches and out of water, you should have no fear of the product turning. Please do come back when your supply runs now.

As he walks you out, he warmly waves at the two of you with a big grin on his face for having made such a large sale before closing.

Now as you both head back towards the Painted Turtle, Finnan, you see Tobias hand twitching and gripping his bow, as if just itching to use it. Keep in mind that the Turtle is only a tavern, not an inn. The second story is probably for storage or Brownbeard and Amber's sleeping quarters. There is the Come On Inn, where Ammon is staying, if you're looking for a place to sleep.

When you open up the door, you are hit by a wall of sound. The amount of people crowded into the Turtle is astounding. Walking in is incredibly difficult, and you feel like you can't help but step on people feet while pushing your way through the seemingly solid crowd. It takes you quite a while before you can make it to the bar where Brownbeard is working away, serving his family's brew. Amber, you can see, is carrying another spitted lamb to the hearth for a total of three. It seems the crowd has quite the hunger tonight.

Davfalcon is still on the large middle table, except now he is joined by a few people dancing to the tune blown on the pipes. You can hardly hear it over the din, so he drops his instrument, held by a leather sash, and quietly starts singing Oh, Thomas. Oh Thomas... . The crowd quickly quiets down as they all strain to hear the song. Slowly, the crowd picks up the bard's tune.

Thomas, my boy. Will you ever come home?
Well, now mother that may never be.
Oh, Thomas. Oh, Thomas. Why would you leave?
Well, now mother, my lord calls for me.
Thomas, my Thomas, stay at home. Why do you go far?
Well, now mother, my lord called me to war.

Tobias, you remember this song is one your father and grandfather sang together many nights. Your father was one of the few that made it out of the Valley on that fateful day the armies clashed. By that time, your grandfather had already retired and was too old to serve. You saw the effect of war had on your father. He became a bit more distant, but he would always embrace you after singing this song with tears in his eyes. Many of your friends in your village grew up without their fathers to tend the fields after they were called away, never to return, never to be embraced by their children again. The memory of him coming over the hill after being away so long is all too vivid. After a few drinks in you, you can't take it anymore. You are a man of action, and the emotion brought upon by this song is too much to bear. Grabbing your bow, you issue a loud challenge in the tavern.

A uniformed individual in the back stands and walks towards you. I'll take your challenge. Let us wager 6 silver coins for the best of 3 shots. Without any targets, you tie your rope on the fountain outside with your grappling hook as the target. Finnan, would you like to join him or continue singing in the bar until you fall asleep and rise again for breakfast?

Before each of you takes your three shots, the other gives it a push to have it swing like a pendulum. You elected to go first and, of your three shots, only the first and last make contact with the hook. Now, it's the challengers turn. The individual's first shot goes wide. He exhales rather loudly, and takes a moment to concentrate before nocking another arrow that hit one of the claws, and quickly releases another arrow that hits the hook dead-center, hitting it so hard that it starts spinning. You both are at 2 hits a piece.

At the start of the second round. the archer goes back by 50 paces and aims. All three miss, with the last one just shy of the swinging hook. You have thee shots left, Tobias, and the potential to win 18 silver pieces if you make each shot.

Three times the old woman speaks, and three times the dice is rolled. Place your bets.
Results:5+6 (11), 5+6 (11), 4+1 (5). That's rough, but you lose 3 gold coins. The Fire Spinner right next to you, however, has a tidy pile of 15 silvers in front of him. It seems my luck has taken a turn for the better, after all, he whispers to himself. Everyone else in the circle is shooting dirty looks at him, as they seem to be on a losing streak like you. Would you like to continue or would you like to retire to the forest before the evening bells rings to signal the closing of the gates?

As you ask who is willing, you hear a response -Amaymon...-. What's strange is that, you take a moment to locate the sound, but you can hear nothing. It is speaking directly into your mind. Louder and louder it grows. -Amaymon...-. In the physical world, the flames go from orange and yellow to black and blue. Higher and higher it climbs, until it is almost licking the roof. "Who will answer the call," you repeat. -AMAYMON!-

The flames dancing high cast longer shadows and your arms spread across the walls. Long, winding snakes, black on the walls, swirl together, condensing into a shadowed hunched figure. Cruel looking horns sprout from its head, with long, wicked nails traveling along the wall towards your throat. Right before the claws would have reached your throat, you utter a name in Infernal. At the sound of its true name, the hand recoils and the figure releases a slow, angry hiss. -I will serve...- The shape shrinks again, its horns retract, and a short, pointed beak lets out an audible shriek. The claws melt together and merge into its plummage, the shadowy span extending onto the three walls behind and beside you. Finally, the flames in the brazier begin to die out. The dark flames reveal a black and night blue breast that blends into a purple, and eventually a bright, blood red color emerges closer to the tips of its wings. Your new servant teeters on its yellow feet, steadying itself on its coal black claws, before it beats its wings and takes flight. It lands on your shoulder and pierces the silence with another shriek. Behold, your fiendish hawk.

That sets me back another 16 SP and 1 GP. I made the changes on my sheet. Do you want me to upload this whenever I go shopping?
I put this outside of your spoiler so everyone would know to update their character sheet whenever you add/remove inventory. 'Cause if it's not on your character sheet, you don't really have it. I've got my own notes and I'll compare it to whatever version you have uploaded on Drive. In the case of battles, I'll track the HP, and I'll only ask for you all to update it at the end of combat when your total will remain a bit more stable.

One note in particular to Ammon: at the beginning of the day, send me your selection of spells through PM or just a message saying your spell sheet was updated. Otherwise, I will assume you prepare the exact same spells at the same level the next day.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-11, 07:47 PM
I use perception to see if the dice are rigged. I take ten.

Then I ask: are you cheating? And use insight to judge if she's lying. Also taking ten on that.

Ketiara
2015-02-11, 08:40 PM
As you all have correctly ascertained, you did not successfully convince the tobacco merchant to provide you with any sort of discount. He's much too shrewd a salesman to let go of his profits.

Congratulations on your purchases of some of the finest tobacco products in the land. It seems that you all have quite the lungs. hehe. That should be enough leaves in there to last you both well into Tetor (2 months from now). As long as you keep them in the pouches and out of water, you should have no fear of the product turning. Please do come back when your supply runs now.

As he walks you out, he warmly waves at the two of you with a big grin on his face for having made such a large sale before closing.

Now as you both head back towards the Painted Turtle, Finnan, you see Tobias hand twitching and gripping his bow, as if just itching to use it. Keep in mind that the Turtle is only a tavern, not an inn. The second story is probably for storage or Brownbeard and Amber's sleeping quarters. There is the Come On Inn, where Ammon is staying, if you're looking for a place to sleep.

When you open up the door, you are hit by a wall of sound. The amount of people crowded into the Turtle is astounding. Walking in is incredibly difficult, and you feel like you can't help but step on people feet while pushing your way through the seemingly solid crowd. It takes you quite a while before you can make it to the bar where Brownbeard is working away, serving his family's brew. Amber, you can see, is carrying another spitted lamb to the hearth for a total of three. It seems the crowd has quite the hunger tonight.

Davfalcon is still on the large middle table, except now he is joined by a few people dancing to the tune blown on the pipes. You can hardly hear it over the din, so he drops his instrument, held by a leather sash, and quietly starts singing Oh, Thomas. Oh Thomas... . The crowd quickly quiets down as they all strain to hear the song. Slowly, the crowd picks up the bard's tune.

Thomas, my boy. Will you ever come home?
Well, now mother that may never be.
Oh, Thomas. Oh, Thomas. Why would you leave?
Well, now mother, my lord calls for me.
Thomas, my Thomas, stay at home. Why do you go far?
Well, now mother, my lord called me to war.

Tobias, you remember this song is one your father and grandfather sang together many nights. Your father was one of the few that made it out of the Valley on that fateful day the armies clashed. By that time, your grandfather had already retired and was too old to serve. You saw the effect of war had on your father. He became a bit more distant, but he would always embrace you after singing this song with tears in his eyes. Many of your friends in your village grew up without their fathers to tend the fields after they were called away, never to return, never to be embraced by their children again. The memory of him coming over the hill after being away so long is all too vivid. After a few drinks in you, you can't take it anymore. You are a man of action, and the emotion brought upon by this song is too much to bear. Grabbing your bow, you issue a loud challenge in the tavern.

A uniformed individual in the back stands and walks towards you. I'll take your challenge. Let us wager 6 silver coins for the best of 3 shots. Without any targets, you tie your rope on the fountain outside with your grappling hook as the target. Finnan, would you like to join him or continue singing in the bar until you fall asleep and rise again for breakfast?

Before each of you takes your three shots, the other gives it a push to have it swing like a pendulum. You elected to go first and, of your three shots, only the first and last make contact with the hook. Now, it's the challengers turn. The individual's first shot goes wide. He exhales rather loudly, and takes a moment to concentrate before nocking another arrow that hit one of the claws, and quickly releases another arrow that hits the hook dead-center, hitting it so hard that it starts spinning. You both are at 2 hits a piece.

At the start of the second round. the archer goes back by 50 paces and aims. All three miss, with the last one just shy of the swinging hook. You have thee shots left, Tobias, and the potential to win 18 silver pieces if you make each shot.

It is only when drunk Tobias looses his cool. And only rarely so. The leaves he bought was his fathers favorite, and his father always bought these or brought these leaves home after he had been out on a campaign. So the smell of these particular leaves brought memories of love, connection, and the joy a father being home could bring!

Starting this competition is a desperate call to his dead father, now he is in need of spiritual help to actually not making a fool of himself.

Whispering to himself as he strings his bow:Dear father, why do I always get myself into these situations? I hint at a whisp of your memory and then I loose my cool in desperate attempts to prove myself to you.

I have never been allowed to engage in actual fighting, so my only outlet is these taverngames

Tobias looses his first arrow as he utters the last word... and while in flight he draws another, which is drawn to full as the first hits, as the first hits the 2nd is loosed, and midflight the third is nooked, and fired.

Tobias whispers to himself:
Father I need your guidance, patience, and understanding to get me through this. And while you are at it, could you perhaps trip the pretty serving girl while she is passing... me as a gentleman is the best way to win the attention of the women. So If you could help me out with that along with my aim, id appreciate it!.

Tobias fires 3 arrows at the moving target:

Roll:
2+7
19+7
14+7

And readys for whatever female drops into his lap.

DM7581
2015-02-12, 05:04 AM

Vital Statistics:

I use perception to see if the dice are rigged. I take ten.

Then I ask: are you cheating? And use insight to judge if she's lying. Also taking ten on that.

Taking 10 is so 3.5. Not to play DM or anything, but there is no 5e equivalent unless I'm mistaken.

Note taken on the sheets. I am out of town for the weekend, so I'll get on it with the upload.

As far as Finnan, let's say he parties the night away at the tavern.

Christ. Michael
2015-02-12, 10:58 AM
Taking 10 is so 3.5. Not to play DM or anything, but there is no 5e equivalent unless I'm mistaken.
Strictly speaking, there is not a "taking a 10" option in 5e. In this particular instance, the rule that applies is passive perception.

Your perception does allow you to notice that something might be off. You noticed nothing during the first two die rolls but, on the last one, you noticed her wrist flick forward before she flipped the cup on the ground to reveal the dice roll.

Everyone in the room stops and diverts their attention to you, and then the old woman. Everyone edges slightly away from you in the face of this accusation. There seems to be a great amount of reverence for this woman, and no one dares to call her a cheat. She places your most recent bet into the pile before her, as a dusty laugh escapes from her throat as her answer. One of her wrinkled, spotted hands points at you then points towards the dirty sheet, motioning you to leave.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-12, 04:15 PM
That's what I meant. Passive perception. Butt out Rob, it's not your show. Still love ya tho.

Dm; With a smirk, I graciously exit, but begin to stalk the old woman (obviously from the furthest distance away possible) I want to know where she goes, what she does with the money, and her defenses (magic, bodyguard, etc)

"Selune, cast your veil to hide me under your auspice of darkness."

Ketiara
2015-02-13, 05:28 PM
Does Tobias notice whats going on around Vodoc? passive perception 15

I just realised that Im at the Turtle and Vodoc is at Miss Maggie's so no way I could notice whats going on with him.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-13, 06:06 PM
Does Tobias notice whats going on around Vodoc? passive perception 15

"Peace, my friend. The gods will balance the scales."

-...Through their sacred agents - I think quietly.

Ketiara
2015-02-13, 07:29 PM
"Peace, my friend. The gods will balance the scales."

In my current emotional state Im ready to stand up for anyone, regardless of me winning or loosing the archery challenge but Vodoc even more so. His sharp observations earlier some might have found offending, but not Tobias. Sometimes the right questions asked at the right times have an astounding effect.

But as I hear his words or see them written on his face from afar, I nod as to say

"I got your back if needed"

As previous post, I have no way of knowing this as Im at a diffrent inn tavern

Eruasaidh
2015-02-13, 08:04 PM
"Thank you. I was not my words that moved you, but the spirit of the gods which moves through the faithful. Give me time to observe this ancient cheater (the old woman).

Her cheating me doesnt offend me. I too, cheat at games. In this way, I honor both the Tymora, godess of luck and Cyric, god of lies, for lies and luck are intertwined... In the Eshunna, they are sometimes depicted as bickering spouses. Let them argue and decide who wins at gambling.

However, I -caught- her cheating, which was an omen from one or both of these gods. So I must now discover their intention and my required action towards her; help or harm.

She might be using the stolen money for kind acts, selfish acts, or evil acts... Which I will reciprocate towards her, according to what I receive in prayer. If you wish to assist me, I am grateful. Selune conceal us."

AMMON
2015-02-14, 03:43 PM
I greet my familiar Amaymon into the physical form and inspect its body and wings to his talons. After seeing him I have him take flight out the window in for to test my sight through the eyes of my hawk. Flying through the town i wish to see through the eyes of my familiar.

DM: What time is it not at this point?

Christ. Michael
2015-02-23, 08:38 PM
Dm; With a smirk, I graciously exit, but begin to stalk the old woman (obviously from the furthest distance away possible) I want to know where she goes, what she does with the money, and her defenses (magic, bodyguard, etc)

"Selune, cast your veil to hide me under your auspice of darkness."

Once you exit Miss Maggy's parlor, you retreat a safe distance and inconspicuously keep an eye on the front door. While waiting outside, you see a few people come in and a few people leave. Of the people that leave, the fire spinner is one of the few that is walking out with a pep in his turn in fortune. The loud GONG originating from the city's center signals that the sun is completely hidden under the horizon and the closing of the gates. After a few hours of watching, most of the players leave the shack. The only one that remains is a large fellow you saw swaying his way into the shack with a large clay jug in one hand. Maggy has not exited the building. Did you want to back inside?

I greet my familiar Amaymon into the physical form and inspect its body and wings to his talons. After seeing him I have him take flight out the window in for to test my sight through the eyes of my hawk. Flying through the town i wish to see through the eyes of my familiar.

DM: What time is it not at this point?
It's sunset now. One of the benefits to getting a modest room is the access to a window. It's a view overlooking the area around the fountain. Amamymon's talons grip your arm over your cloak before you release it through the open window. Sitting down again to concentrate, the room you are in and the sound of the candle flickering all disappear as you close your eyes. When you open your eyes again, you see the trickling fountain in spectacular focus. Every crack and scuff is revealed to you through Amaymon's sharp vision. The fountain becomes a smaller and smaller until it is nothing but a pinprick as your hawk continues to ascend higher and higher. Rufta is laid bare before you. The first thing you notice is a shimmering dome above the city that would invisible to the naked eye. There are five beams of light that compose the dome. They originate from each of the 5 gates, all converging above city's central tower. They magnify each other and extend over the entire city. Your knowledge in the magical arts allows you to recognize this as concentrated and persistent Control Weather spells. Above the sphere there is a gray sky dropping rain into the valley below. These drops never make it to the city and, the city remains warm, dry, and comfortable.

Amaymon dips below the dome to continue surveying the city. The tower is clearly in the center with five roads that would lead you to each of the gates. Behind the inn, in the North East part of town, are rows and rows of housing. The majority of the houses in this district you see larger buildings with multiple floors, gardens, and balconies. Right next to this section, in obvious contrast, the buildings become smaller and considerable less luxurious. They seem like they were all cut from the same mold. Thin and cramped buildings in long rows make up this district. Many of the residents are loitering in the streets with a few fires lit in the street. On a particular alley there is a group of people watching two people fighting in the center of it.

To the East you see large buildings with various banners in front of them. A hand wielding a hammer striking an anvil, a golden harp with a few notes floating above it on a field of green, and a silver scale with coins being weighed on a red background are just a few that you see that identify the various guild halls and their respective warehouses. The blacksmith's hall is unique among them in that there is a great plume of smoke floating from a large chimney to the sky above.

To the South and near the base of the tower, you see large training clearings and a large barracks. There are rows of armored knights doing drills in the fields next to the barracks. In some of the fields, the knights are standing several yards before each other, releasing blasts of fire, whirling balls of acid, and missiles of force from their hands towards the other- some making contact, while others bounce off harmlessly from an invisible shield before they charge and slash at eachother with their blades. In another field you see several armored individuals on horseback, practicing their archery. You can infer that this is the city's fighting force of Eldritch Knights, charged with defending the city and policing the streets.

To the West you see the greatest concentration of temples representing different deities, even though there are some scattered throughout the city and others outside the walls. Masked, robed, and chanting individuals can be found near the places of worship. Several of them can be heard prophesying about doom while others pass out food to the less fortunate. A small portion of the quadrant includes the Merchant's circle, which you all have already explored.

The last buildings you see of note are five at the foot of the council tower. Each of the buildings has the flag of the different kingdoms: the dancing lions of Palla, the green field and owl of Troinnor, the bloody axe of Wermaggan, the crescent moon Edaz, and red crab on sea green of Poyko.

Tobias, I was mistaken in writing "and the potential to win 18 silver pieces if you make each shot." The stakes for the best of three shots remain unchanged. Sorry for the confusion.

Your first shot goes wild and misses the swinging grappling hook. Invoking your father allows you to steady your hand and aim for you to hit the hook and a claw twice. Your challenger while clearly disappointed at losing out on the coins, cannot help but give you congratulate you on a good contest.

Usually, my eyes do not fail me like they did tonight. It was well-shot on your part. My name is Breiries. I am a part of the order of knights in charge of defending the peace brought upon by the Council. I had a day away from my duties and, after a few mugs of Brownbeard's brew, who can resist a good challenge of skill and the prospect of earning a few coins? He offers you a gloved hand to shake. Tell me, bowman, what is your name and where do you come from? Let us talk over another mug of brown.

Ketiara
2015-02-24, 02:50 AM
Tobias, I was mistaken in writing "and the potential to win 18 silver pieces if you make each shot." The stakes for the best of three shots remain unchanged. Sorry for the confusion.

Your first shot goes wild and misses the swinging grappling hook. Invoking your father allows you to steady your hand and aim for you to hit the hook and a claw twice. Your challenger while clearly disappointed at losing out on the coins, cannot help but give you congratulate you on a good contest.

Usually, my eyes do not fail me like they did tonight. It was well-shot on your part. My name is Breiries. I am a part of the order of knights in charge of defending the peace brought upon by the Council. I had a day away from my duties and, after a few mugs of Brownbeard's brew, who can resist a good challenge of skill and the prospect of earning a few coins? He offers you a gloved hand to shake. Tell me, bowman, what is your name and where do you come from? Let us talk over another mug of brown.

Tobias has learned from his mistake of being too honest earlier and showing his feeling too openly is a bit more reserved but by no means unfriendly or unwelcoming.

Tobias grabs Breiries lower arm giving him a proper warriors handshake.

It says a lot of a man who is gracious in defeat! So let me respond in kind and pay for the first round. Its the least I can do. My name is Tobias Brogan I was once employed in King Pallas army, but in this time of peace He didn't feel like spending these vast amounts of gold on wages I guess so a lot of us was released from our contract.

Tobias asks the serving lady for two mugs of browbeard.

Now I wander the realm seeking fortune where I can. Chance brought my to Rufta and I'm pleasantly surpriced. So far this great city has brought nothing but good companionship and opportunity. I might hang around here for a bit and see what the city can bring me and what I can bring to the city.

After paying for the beers (4cp/mug = 8cp gives the leftover 2cp as tip) with his newly acquired silver, he tugs the rest (17sp?) in a secure pocket in his vestment. And with a cocky smile

And so far its brought me a nice addition to my wealth.

Tobias stuffs his pipe and motions for Breiries to help himself to some of his tobacco.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-24, 07:49 AM
I need more information before proceeding

From previous post: "I want to know where she goes, what she does with the money, and her defenses (she may be a witch, have a bodyguard, etc)"

Christ. Michael
2015-02-25, 10:31 AM
Tobias, the earnings of the contest were 6 silver pieces. I made a mistake in the post before that one. Let's sY you spend the rest of the night singing with Davfalcon's crowd, Finnan, and Breiries.

Vodoc, you can go back and investigate what is happening behind the blanket. Maggy's has not left, even after all the players -with the exception of the swaying jug-bearer. Without further investigation, there's not much more I can tell you.

DM7581
2015-02-25, 12:42 PM

Vital Statistics:

I suppose I am drunk and/or passed out at the tavern. At some point in the night, I stumble to my quarters. This has been a heck of a day for the little Halfling. I'll be awaiting the group the next morning over breakfast.

Eruasaidh
2015-02-25, 03:34 PM
I creep over and listen, peek through the crack or a blanket.

My intention is to see what shes doing with the money. I'm willing to stalk her for several days over an extended period of time to achieve this.

Ketiara
2015-02-25, 04:39 PM
Tobias, the earnings of the contest were 6 silver pieces. I made a mistake in the post before that one. Let's sY you spend the rest of the night singing with Davfalcon's crowd, Finnan, and Breiries.

well even though the weight of the coin is lighter, Tobias tries to make the same points.

During the night Tobias lets Breiries know that if he needs the help of a small group of fortune seekers for whatever, he should seek me out.

At some point Tobias gets too drunk and passes out or strike fortune with some girl. Either way, when he wakes he join Finnan and the others at the breakfast table.

AMMON
2015-03-03, 08:00 PM
I take a breath following the scenes that i just winessed. I have ammaymon hang out to watch and alert me if any danger is near close but free to do what he pleases. At this time i prepare for sleep to await the next day.