PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Zelda

Mewtarthio
2007-03-31, 07:27 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/31/april-fools-alert-1-wii-tvs-future-zelda/

Yeah, it's fake. But still, what if? What would you do if you learned the next Zelda game would be set in the far future?

Legendary
2007-03-31, 07:34 PM
Part of me would go: WTF is wrong with Nintendo? Sony is giving them every opportunity to rise back to the top console, and THIS is what they come up with?

Part of me would go: OMG!!!! GORONS IN SPACESHIPS FTW!!!!!

I think that the left and right sides of my brain need to talk to each other more.

blackout
2007-03-31, 07:38 PM
Hmm...Link with a handheld laser cannon...

averagejoe
2007-03-31, 07:47 PM
When I was younger I had an idea like this. So I'd be cool with it for nostalgia's sake, although probably not if the changes were as dramatic as what they showed.

starwoof
2007-03-31, 07:49 PM
I would be really angry, but secretly be like 'keeeewwl'.

Just as long as they explicitely stated that it was not canon. At all.

tgva8889
2007-03-31, 07:49 PM
Maybe if it wasn't too dramatic.

Granted, I'm not a really big Zelda fan, so my opinion really isn't representative. I am much more of a Sci-Fi Space fan, so I would be greatly interested. Perhaps introduce more planets, etc, and give him a Spaceship "named" Epona. That would be cool.

Neek
2007-03-31, 08:01 PM
This might be a good idea. More than likely a bad idea. I'm going to call the bluff; at the end of that talk, though, they made a jocular mention about the implications of releasing this. Releasing a rumor before April 1st is almost a dead give-away of them trying to fool us.

Though this is a better idea than, say, a Zelda-based MMO.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-31, 08:09 PM
This might be a good idea. More than likely a bad idea. I'm going to call the bluff; at the end of that talk, though, they made a jocular mention about the implications of releasing this. Releasing a rumor before April 1st is almost a dead give-away of them trying to fool us.

Thought that was a given.

Neek
2007-03-31, 09:03 PM
Thought that was a given.

Sorry. I meant to state, for the record, I was not fooled. They should have leaked this months ago. A good April fool's joke takes years of deceit to make it right.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2007-03-31, 09:24 PM
AWESOME!!! -Is my first reaction.

This may not be real, but recent zelda games are getting more high-tech. In twilight princess there was widespread use of cannon, so they might as well put guns into the next one.

Legendary
2007-03-31, 10:13 PM
You're neglecting the city in the sky, holding itself up with propellers, and the whole mine complex, with magnetic devices. Oh noes, it IS turning into a high-tech sci fi story...

THE ZELDA OF MY YOUTH IS GONE!!! I WILL NEVER FORGET IT! *cries uncontrollably*

Ooh, shiney.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-01, 12:37 AM
And let's not forget Wind Waker's introduction of metal gunboats (think Ironclads) and primitive submarines. And seriously, the Master Sword is the ultimate weapon of light, so why can't it be the ultimate weapon of lightsaber?

Of course, a sci-fi Zelda is technically impossible, since at the end of A Link to the Past the essence of the gods themselves states that the Master Sword sleeps forever after Ganon's final defeat within the Sacred Realm. Unless, of course, you go down the other branch of the splitting timeline...

Dr._Weird
2007-04-01, 08:56 AM
Hey, thanks for not putting that in spoiler tags, Mewtarthio. I mean, it's not like I want to find out the ending to a story by myself or anything. :smallmad:

Anyway, a futuristic Zelda would be a lot better than what they're putting out now IMO. The whole Oh-no-PeachZelda's-been-kidnapped-again-time-to-fight-the-same-badguys-again storyline is getting kind of stale.

averagejoe
2007-04-01, 12:01 PM
Wow, I am glad I skipped over Mewthario's post. :smallmad:

Let's see the possibilities, because I actually have thought about this once upon a time, and I find it too creepy to just let go. Epona's already a motorcycle. He could have a portable AI called NAVI (which would stand for something clever,) which would have data on weapons, enemies, etc.

Legendary
2007-04-01, 12:01 PM
Isn't Mario getting an adventure through space of his own?

And Zelda's kidnappings are at least a little more varied nowadays. Look at TP, she was TECHNICALLY kidnapped the entire time, but there wasn't any need to rescue her until the game was almost finished.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-01, 12:20 PM
I might want to buy it, if it wasn't transparently a lot of cobbled-together FFVII and Star Wars prequel concept art.

Now, the "prequel to WoW" (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/01/april-fools-alert-5-wiihelm-and-the-wow-tinfoil-cap/) reported on the same website...that's wombatin' hilarious. And I actually recommend it to anyone who doesn't get the joke. It'll be a great game.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-04-01, 12:35 PM
I might want to buy it, if it wasn't transparently a lot of cobbled-together FFVII and Star Wars prequel concept art.

Now, the "prequel to WoW" (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/01/april-fools-alert-5-wiihelm-and-the-wow-tinfoil-cap/) reported on the same website...that's wombatin' hilarious. And I actually recommend it to anyone who doesn't get the joke. It'll be a great game.
Yeah, that cracked me up as well. And made me want to pull out my copy and play it some, actually...

As for Future Zelda, I think the underlying concept is actually very cool. The April Fool's Day announcement linked here obviously is too much like FF7 or Star Wars, but I think a techno-fantasy Zelda game could work. For example...

The Twilight Palace in Twilight Princess had that kind of vibe to it. The Mirror of Twilight itself and Ganon's sword of light, though magical in nature, also could fit conceptually.

In general, though, I think it should avoid a <random>punk theme. FF7 did a more or less steam- or dieselpunk fantasy world very well, and if you get too close to that concept, it just feels like a copy-cat. Plus, while Zelda can do dark very well (two of the best, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, both often have pretty dark and grim moments), it stays to a more epic, classic swords & sorcery adventure even in those cases. The grimness isn't because the world itself is rundown or despotic - rather, it's a rather nice place under assault from forces of darkness. Keep to that style, and I'd love to see a Future Zelda game.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-01, 01:02 PM
Hey, thanks for not putting that in spoiler tags, Mewtarthio. I mean, it's not like I want to find out the ending to a story by myself or anything. :smallmad:

...Sorry. I'd thought that it had reached the point where everyone either knew the ending or didn't care about spoilers. It came out it 1992. Did they just remake it?

(Ah, GameFAQs has it coming out for the Wii last January. Sorry, I didn't know.)

Beta
2007-04-06, 01:04 PM
Though this is a better idea than, say, a Zelda-based MMO.

Now theres a really good idea, a Zelda-based MMO(-rpg). By gameconcept it could be a bit like a shooter ; Arena's with 8 - 16 players killing each other and respawning 5 sec after dying until the time runs out. All over the place there could be different weapons and powerups to pick up, like bombs, deku nuts, fire/ice/light/silver/bomb arrows, bomchu's, megabombs, a boomerang, a slingshot, firerods, icerods, medalions that allow you to use Bombos/ Ether/ Quake spells, magic gems that allow you to use Din's fire/ Nayru's love/ Farore's wind spells, etc. Mixed together with the ranged weapons could be various melee weapons, shields, outfits and potions.

Now THAT would be fun. :elan:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-06, 04:52 PM
Fun, yes. Zelda? Not really.

I'd play it as a minigame on the next Zelda, or a Quake mod. And yes, I'm aware you were being sarcastic. It still sounds entertaining.

Gemini
2007-04-06, 05:03 PM
I think It'd be pretty funny, actually. I would look foward to it.

averagejoe
2007-04-06, 05:26 PM
There are too many MMORPG's anyways; we do NOT need a Zelda one. If I wanted to interact with really stupid kids (or adults acting like kids) then I'd play WoW. Or, you know, just interact with my friends. :smallannoyed: