PDA

View Full Version : D&D d20 - Improved Shot on the Run?

TheSultan
2007-03-31, 07:46 PM
So I was reading an old issue of Dragon - #329 - and the class acts article about knifers (fighters who specialize in throwing knives) got me thinking: is there a feat that allows you to make your full allotment of attacks while moving as a full-round (or full attack) action?

Perhaps something like this:

Improved Shot on the Run [General, Fighter]
You may make multiple ranged attacks while moving as a full-round action.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Shot on the Run, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you may move up to your base speed and make the same number of ranged attacks as you would using a full attack action. You may combine this feat with rapid shot. The attacks must be made with a weapon with which you can normally make multiple attacks in one round. You may make the attacks from any square along your move path. Each attack suffers a -4 penalty. This action provokes normal attacks of opportunity for movement.
Normal: You cannot move (except for a 5-foot step) when using a full attack action.

Kyace
2007-03-31, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure about the balancing issues, but it might require the archer having line of sight to the target at the start and middle of movement. I know when you make ranged attacks from a mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#combatwhileMounted) and the mount moves the whole turn, you take line of sight from the halfway through the movement. You might use that as a baseline, like allowing hustling with a -4 penalty to hit.

Also, quick draw only really makes sense if they are throwing daggers or something. Drawing ammo is already a free action.

TheSultan
2007-03-31, 08:30 PM
Good points, good advice. Now when you say "hustle" are you saying the character should be able to move twice their base speed and make these attacks, or are you just refering to hustle as the move that is combined with another action?

Abjurer
2007-03-31, 09:10 PM
The whole idea of a full-round attack is that you're giving up movement to focus entirely on shooting. This feat is unbalanced, because now you don't need to stop shooting to move, or stop moving to shoot. Maybe as an epic feat, but not as it is.

Kyace
2007-03-31, 09:31 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake with the hustle. I mean, how about a -4 to all attack if you use this improve shot on the run? Or -8? Something to simulate the shaky aiming you must make to shot while moving.

TheSultan
2007-03-31, 09:48 PM
The whole idea of a full-round attack is that you're giving up movement to focus entirely on shooting. This feat is unbalanced, because now you don't need to stop shooting to move, or stop moving to shoot. Maybe as an epic feat, but not as it is.

Assuming a -4 penalty to each attack, would you find cutting the movement in half reasonable?

Abjurer
2007-04-01, 07:38 AM
That might do the trick.
I'm no professional on the rules, but that sounds fairer to me.

Matthew
2007-04-04, 08:02 PM
If you are going to create a Feat like this for Shot on the Run, you should probably do the same for Spring Attack, Ride By Attack and Fly By Attack - it seems only fair.

It's not unbalanced in the sense that Full Attacks are underpowered, but it potentially a very powerful Feat. You might want to take a look at my Rapid Shooting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34559) Feat Tree.

Peregrine
2007-04-04, 10:26 PM
If you are going to create a Feat like this for Shot on the Run, you should probably do the same for Spring Attack, Ride By Attack and Fly By Attack - it seems only fair.

How's this?

Improved Ride-By Attack [General]
Prerequisites: Ride 9 ranks, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, base attack bonus +6
Benefit: While mounted, you may use the full attack action to make your full number of melee attacks, even when your mount moves more than 5 feet. You may only make a single melee attack from each 5-foot square through which you and your mount move. If your mount's movement does not exceed its speed, then any remaining attacks may be used from the square in which you stop. You draw attacks of opportunity normally while using this feat.
Normal: If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack, at the end of the move.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Ride-By Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

vv Matthew: Good idea. I just threw in 1 rank when putting in the prerequisites' prerequisites (and because all the core feats that need a skill, only require 1 rank in it). But 9 ranks works well for me too.

Matthew
2007-04-04, 10:28 PM
Looks good to me. I might have opted for Ride Ranks 9, though.