PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Android character: sorcerer/fighter or magus?

MonkeySage
2015-01-06, 03:28 PM
I've recently introduced an npc who is an elven android. I've demonstrated that she is capable of both precise swordsmanship and spellcasting (shocking grasp specifically). But I'm wondering whether to make her a magus or a sorcerer/fighter. If I went with sorcerer, i'd use either the magic bloodline or something relating to her nature as a sentient construct. The former would work better if she was a cyborg, and I'm wondering if that may be the better path anyway.

What I know is that she's not all bolts and metal, she looks exactly like an elf with very little hint of the fact she's anything else, short of glowing eyes and the circuitry visible under her skin.

She's from an ancient crystal spires and togas type past.

Psyren
2015-01-06, 03:32 PM
Magus is better at actually combining swordplay and magic, as opposed to an Eldritch Knight-style build which is more a mage who happens to know how to use a sword, or a swordsman who knows some spells. Add to that the fact that (a) Androids and elves both have an Int bonus (not sure as to the stats of your hybrid race) and (b) you are focused around shocking grasp, which is the bread and butter of many Magi, and I think the choice here is clear.

Almarck
2015-01-06, 03:44 PM
Seconded. Magi are more flexible at combining melee and ranged than the PrC options in most of the book, mostly because PrC's from 3.5's core are rather lack luster compared to the base classes that have come since then.

But if you insist on Sorcerer, try taking the Impossible Bloodline. It fits constructs rather well. Bloodrager can work too, though you'll need to change things up.

Psyren
2015-01-06, 03:48 PM
Nanite Bloodline is a reasonable choice too (and quite nice for a gish), as is Sage.

Barstro
2015-01-06, 04:01 PM
Shocking Grasp is one of the spells that makes people consider Magus Broken, and you already have that as your theme. I vote for Magus.

Kurald Galain
2015-01-06, 04:26 PM
Magus, hands down.

Shocking grasp is their default spell, and indeed becomes broken if combined with too many of the following: intensify spell, keen scimitar, spell-storing weapon, and/or one level of crossblooded sorc.

Regardless of that, if you want a gish who can cast spells and fight at the same time, Magus is your best pick.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-06, 08:34 PM
Magus is the way to go. Not only is it already set up to play the way you seem to want the npc to; it's drastically less powerful then a sorcerer and thus has less of a chance of out shining your actual party.

malonkey1
2015-01-06, 10:31 PM
Why not play an Eldritch Scion Magus? You'd get the best of both worlds, having a bloodline and its benefits plus the magus's spellcasting swordsmanship.

DMVerdandi
2015-01-06, 10:49 PM
Dropping suggestion for based Arcanist.
Pick up the blood arcanist archetype. Nanite Bloodline, and choose touch spells.

Crazysaneman
2015-01-07, 03:06 AM
Arcanist for me too, but for blade adept. I like the flavor of the black blade from the magus, and with the exploits and spells of the arcanist it provides a lot of fluff and dimensions of power (dimension doorish ability as a 5' step on a gish? Yes please). Also you can take feats for your blade familiar, critical conduit comes to mind.