2015-01-06, 05:14 PM
Available Books/Material

Core/UA (no Paragon classes)
PHB2
All of the completes
RotW
RoS
Strongheart halfling from Faerun.

I want to create a Strongheart hafling knife thrower who is also a trap finder. I think a good build would include Rogue, Master Thrower, Whisper Knife, and probably swashbuckler. I don't think invisible blade is worth it on a throwing build.

I think Rogue 3, Swashbuckler 3, Master Thrower 5, WhisperKnife 9 would be a good combo though. But I am struggling on how to put it together and what feats to take....

Can anyone help me?

Wiggins
2015-01-07, 06:31 AM
Check out the Halfling Rogue variant for increased sneak attack with small thrown objects

You're exactly right that all of Master Thrower followed by at least some of Whisperknife is the way to go

I'd advise taking a look at at least some of Swordsage, Umbral Disciple and Bloodstorm Blade (Which needs some Warblade, but never grieve the need for a Warblade dip at level 5 it rarely makes a character worse)

Craven is the best feat for sneak attack if you're not going to become immune to fear
Sacred Strike is the next best if you're saintedly good
Knowledge Devotion is fantastic if you have the skill points for some knowledges to use it
Indigo Strike is pretty decent, and gets you to Umbral Disciple

Darkstalker is a must have for anyone who wants to hide

Don't count out Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot, they're great

Don't waste feats on things magic items can get for you, so make sure to buy Bracers of Murder, and depending on your campaign if you're worried about carrying around an evil item, see if you can get them turned to the service of good.

I'm a fan of doing this build but using little boomerangs, with Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet

Extra books to see if you can get access to;
Dungeonscape
Tome of Battle
Magic of Incarnanum
Champions of Ruin
Book of Exalted Deeds
Lords of Madness
Drow of the Underdark
Races of Eberron (for Boomerangs only)

Andezzar
2015-01-07, 06:44 AM
I'd advise taking a look at at least some of Swordsage, Umbral Disciple and Bloodstorm Blade (Which needs some Warblade, but never grieve the need for a Warblade dip at level 5 it rarely makes a character worse)Where can I find the Umbral Disciple?

Craven is the best feat for sneak attack if you're not going to become immune to fearJust become immune to mind-affecting. It covers most fear effects and lots of other stuff but is not immunity to fear.

Darkstalker is a must have for anyone who wants to hideHiPS even more so on a ranged sneak attacker. You cannot flank with ranged weapons.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-07, 07:02 AM
If you can pull it off (honestly, doubtful, it'd be a whole different build style), getting an animal companion from some source can set up flanks for you... I had a rogue/prestige ranger/wild plains halfling outrider that would charge an enemy, then leap from the saddle to land behind said enemy and sneak attack on follow up turns, once my mount had them flanked.

Wiggins
2015-01-07, 09:50 AM
Umbral Disciple is in Magic of Incarnum; gives skill bonuses, a miss chance and hide in plain sight

Wiggins
2015-01-07, 09:57 AM
Weaselguy, for the "making something to flank for you", have a look at Swordsage's "Distracting Ember", which is a 1 round swift summoning of a tiny fire elemental to set up flanking. Not great for ranged builds like this one, but you can't always stay at range and it's nice to have options.

I wonder if there are any other abilities that can make a swift action summoned monster (other than quickening a summon spell that has been made a standard action by another ability such as the conjurer wizard acf)

macdaddy
2015-01-12, 04:53 PM
I was thinking something like this, though I am not sure of the "optimal" level progression:

Strongheart Halfling
1. Rogue - Halfling Rogue Racial Substitution (+2d6 SA at 1st level for thrown weapons, -1D6 for Close Combat) - Point Blank Shot, B: Precise Shot
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Far Shot
4. Rogue - Halfling Rogue Racial substitution (Replace trap sense with ability to re-roll a reflex save once per day)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swashbuckler - Two Weapon Fighting, Gain INT bonus to damage!
7. Fighter - B: Weapon Focus Dagger
8. Master Thrower - B: Quick Draw
9. Master Thrower - OPEN FEAT (maybe Daring Outlaw, stacks Rogue and Swashbuckler levels for Sneak Attack?)
10. Whisperknife - B: Rapid Shot
11. Whisperknife
12. Whisperknife - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower - B: Snatch Arrows
15. Master Thrower - B: Improved Critical Dagger, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Whisper Knife
17. Whisper Knife
18. Whisper Knife - Improved Precise Shot
19. Whisper Knife
20. Whisper Knife

Halfling Rogue Racial Substitution - Races of the Wild page 160
Whisperknife - Races of the Wild page 135
Swashbuckler - Complete Warrior page 11
Master Thrower - Complete Warrior page 58

Any help on this build? Thanx

Barbarian Horde
2015-01-12, 05:45 PM
Ask to omit Magic Item Compendium.

Andezzar
2015-01-12, 06:00 PM
Ask to omit Magic Item Compendium.What would that help?

Barbarian Horde
2015-01-12, 08:02 PM
My bad not MIC.
He want this "Gloves of Taarnahm the Vigilant (PGtF, 10,000 gp) Gives any weapon you are holding throwing and returning weapon qualities."

Andezzar
2015-01-13, 01:39 AM
And how would omitting (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/omit) that book help?

Barbarian Horde
2015-01-13, 01:46 AM
Got to omit the book to get the item. Unless the DM just lets him take choice pulls. Those gloves would help with his dagger throwing in general opening a path for a different class choice possibly offering better optimization. From MIC he could get Strongarm Bracers which allows him to wield a weapon size larger then he can normally equip.

Get a Large or medium dagger of returning and throwing depending on what race you go with with just two pieces of equipment.

Andezzar
2015-01-13, 02:02 AM
Got to omit the book to get the item. Unless the DM just lets him take choice pulls. Those gloves would help with his dagger throwing in general opening a path for a different class choice possibly offering better optimization.If he omits the book, it and all its contents will not be available, so what the items do is irrelevant if he cannot get them.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-13, 02:06 AM
Yeah, pretty sure you got omit and allow mixed up there Barbarian_Horde...

Barbarian Horde
2015-01-13, 02:11 AM
;p I see what I did there. But yeah if the DM would "admit" It would just offer more options I think