PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Gestalt rules (Pixie/Warlock)

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-01-06, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone i got a couple of questions about making a pixie warlock gestalt.

1. Savage species says that you can't multiclass with a monster class until you finish the monster class. does this include gestalt characters.

2. does a monster class count as a class or a race, because i have heard an argument that it counts as a race even through that it is named a MONSTER CLASS

3. the pixie class from savage species says that pixies get a feat at level one. is this a bonus feat or is it the feat that all first level character get.

4. this is not really a rule question. but my dm won't let my take the mortalbane feat unless i have good backstory reason to want to deal more damage to living beings. so what would be a good backstory idea for this feat.

Renen
2015-01-06, 05:56 PM
From what I know:

1) It means once you start taking pixie on one side, you gotta finish it. If the other side of the gestalt in Warlock, nothing is stopping you from switching from warlock to a PrC.

2) Its a monster "class" for most purposes. It hives you hit dice, it gives you feats, etc. But it can be considered a race because its not you training in something but more like... learning to use your natural gifts granted to you by your race.

3) It means a normal feat. To my knowledge only humans, their variants and the strongheart halfings have the "free feat"

4) *Obligatory grumbling about basing your backstory on mechanics and not mechanics on backstory.* Well... you could say that after losing your family to a bunch of bandits that were NOT of any one race, you decided to hate ALL living things. Why not also all constructs and undead? I dunno... just say your character didnt think quite that far ahead and just said "I have all that lives".

Zakerst
2015-01-06, 06:32 PM
I have little to add but what Renen has said is true, the rules in SS indicate you have to finish the class before multiclassing out of it, normal gestalt is not multiclassing, as soon as you add more than 2 classes it is though (PRCs naturally ignoring the exp penalty), Monster classes are both classes and determine your race (i.e. you cannot be a human with levels in pixie), the feats it's mentioning are the feats gained from HD it's mentioning them to remind the player. [note for my group I was able to make a successful argument to allow two monster races to be gestalted together, however if you choose to go that rout the argument is yours to make and discover]

And while I wouldn't suggest doing something silly like working your whole backstory for a feat if you have to, you could go with something along the lines of not believing fey to be true mortals and maybe having had your woods invaded my mortal races, and/or perhaps having made a pact with some eldritch horror to gain your warlockyness, perhaps some twisted version of a nature god or super predator, after all they feat on the living not the dead or constructed.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-06, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone i got a couple of questions about making a pixie warlock gestalt.

1. Savage species says that you can't multiclass with a monster class until you finish the monster class. does this include gestalt characters.

The side with the monster class cannot multiclass until the pixie class is taken in its entirety. The other side is unaffected,

[quote]2. does a monster class count as a class or a race, because i have heard an argument that it counts as a race even through that it is named a MONSTER CLASS
Both. It is a race that is taken as a class. You are a pixie from level one but will have time to come into your full pixie powers.

3. the pixie class from savage species says that pixies get a feat at level one. is this a bonus feat or is it the feat that all first level character get.
You don't receive feats every 3 class levels from the monster class like a normal character. Instead you get them every 3 HD, which you do not receive consistently. There are not bonus feats. I would talk with your DM, but I would rule you get none of the listed feats from the pixie side and keep the normal character level feats, since you have level in a character class.

4. this is not really a rule question. but my dm won't let my take the mortalbane feat unless i have good backstory reason to want to deal more damage to living beings. so what would be a good backstory idea for this feat.
Malice and spite. Maybe you sold your soul just a little for power. I would go with you are a partially redeemed evil pixie (you used to use your powers to prey to trespassers into your domain) and still keep your enhanced damage as a legacy of the life you cannot quite bring yourself to leave behind.

Renen
2015-01-06, 10:05 PM
1. Savage species says that you can't multiclass with a monster class until you finish the monster class. does this include gestalt characters.[quote]
The side with the monster class cannot multiclass until the pixie class is taken in its entirety. The other side is unaffected,

Both. It is a race that is taken as a class. You are a pixie from level one but will have time to come into your full pixie powers.

You don't receive feats every 3 class levels from the monster class like a normal character. Instead you get them every 3 HD, which you do not receive consistently. There are not bonus feats. I would talk with your DM, but I would rule you get none of the listed feats from the pixie side and keep the normal character level feats, since you have level in a character class.

Malice and spite. Maybe you sold your soul just a little for power. I would go with you are a partially redeemed evil pixie (you used to use your powers to prey to trespassers into your domain) and still keep So, Basically mostly whayour enhanced damage as a legacy of the life you cannot quite bring yourself to leave behind.

So, Basically mostly what I said?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-06, 10:26 PM
Yeerrrrpppp. But more technical. I have had a bad day and skimmed the thread and jumped to answering. No offense meant.