PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Wrath of My Ancestors(Barbarian Subclass)

Amnoriath
2015-01-06, 06:34 PM
Some of the credit goes to BRKNdevil. I am wondering if the features are too much and if I am overestimated the value of attunement slots. You can say this is a bit of an experiment.

Ancestral Guardian
http://www.thecbg.org/wiki/images/1/1c/WikiBarbarian.png
Trials of the Past: At level 3 you become proficient in History checks and you may choose from a fighting style below.
Archery: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
Dueling: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
Two-Weapon Fighting: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
Additionally whether it be an heirloom or a piece of your history you have made an Ancestral Weapon of great significance to you. Regardless of what it is made out of it is considered just as strong as an equivalent metal weapon and is considered magical for bypassing resistance. You may also choose to use your Strength as your to hit modifier even on weapons that normally require Dexterity. You are considered attuned to this weapon without needing the time to normally do so. You can choose to attune a magical item in its place in which you can choose to unlock your item or Ancestral weapon as a partial action. You can choose to attune to either 2 one-handed weapons but it takes two slots. At levels 7, 12, and 17 it gains a +1 bonus.

Spellcasting: At level 3 you gain spell casting of an Eldritch Knight except they are wisdom based and you use the Cleric list without restrictions.

Wrath of the Elders: At level 6 when you initiate a rage roll 2d20's and take whichever roll you want. Any time during the rage you can choose to use the roll in place of any attack, ability check, or save you make before you roll. If you have made a melee attack against a creature during your rage you can force them to take the roll before they make one. An enemy can only be affected once per hour this way. At level 14 you may roll a second set of d20's for another roll.
When attuned and using your Ancenstral Weapon while raging as a partial action you may expend a spell slot to gain one of the following benefits which last until the beginning of your next turn. You may only benefit from one option at a time unless you possess two Ancestral Weapons.

Your physical attacks are treated as any metal for bypassing resistance. You also gain a bonus on physical damage rolls equal to 1+slot level.
Select an ability score and you gain a bonus to those checks except for saves equal to the slot level.
You gain a bonus on attack rolls equal to the slot level.
You gain a bonus to your AC equal to the slot level.
Select a save and you gain a bonus equal to the slot level.
You gain temporary hit points equal to 1d6+2(slot level).

Spiritual Infusion: At level 10 you gain expertise in History checks. Your Ancestral Weapon is considered to be as strong as Adamantine and it gains advantage on any save to damage or manipulate it. You may also assign a property below to it that you only can gain while attuned to it. If you are attuned to two weapons you may add one to each. You may change this property after a long rest. If you would already possess a feat listed below you may retrain it or take the Ability Score Improvement at this level.

You gain Sharpshooter as a bonus feat. If a target has total cover it may be treated as half cover against your attack so long as there is an opening adjacent to them even if you don't have a line of effect. Additionally if you make a critical hit with a ranged weapon you may roll another damage die.
You gain Great Weapon Master as a bonus feat. When using the Attack action with a two-handed weapon you can choose not to make a second attack in order to add your weapon's damage dice again to the damage and gain a +5 bonus to the attack roll.
You gain Polearm Master as a bonus feat. While wielding a reach weapon with two-hands you gain a +1 bonus to your AC. A quarterstaff and spear may be treated as if it had reach. A spear may be used for the purposes of the feat.
You gain Defensive Duelist as a bonus feat. If using the option given from this feat would cause the opponent's attack to miss you may make a melee attack with a one handed weapon.
You gain Dual Wielder as a bonus feat. If you would hit a creature with both weapons you roll one of your weapon's damage die dealing damage treating it as both kinds of damage if relevant.
You gain Shield Master as a bonus feat. The bonuses that apply to your Ancestral Weapon also apply to your shield when using it to bash. Additionally you may use the Dodge or Disengage action as a bonus action so long as you have a shield in hand and not prone or restrained.
You gain Crossbow Expert as a bonus feat. You may use ranged weapons for opportunity attacks in which your range is 10 ft. Any 1 rolled on a damage roll on ranged weapons is treated as a 2.

Warden of the Ancients: At level 14 you become immune to possession and Magic Jar like effects. You also can contact the spirits of your ancestors to gain one of the following benefits by deep meditation for 5 minutes. You must complete a short or long rest to use it again.

Choose one skill you aren't proficient in you become proficient in it. If you do choose a skill you are proficient in you gain expertise in it. This resets once you use this feature again.
You gain knowledge as if you cast Commune being able to contact all of your previous ancestors at once.
You regain effective spell slot levels equal to 1/2 class level(round down). The highest slot level you can recover is 5th and once you use this you must complete a long rest to use again.

Additionally while attuned and using an Ancestral Weapon you can not be disarmed nor can it damaged or manipulated so long as you are not incapacitated. You also gain another Extra Attack feature which stacks with your previous one when attuned and using an Ancestral Weapon.

Submortimer
2015-01-11, 04:46 PM
I like most of it, but just get rid of spellcasting. At the very least, make it the ranger list, or something more restrictive than the CLERIC list. In any case, Barb's generally need all three physical stats to be high, so the likelyhood that they will even have a score that will allow them to cast at all is pretty low.

Amnoriath
2015-01-11, 06:31 PM
I like most of it, but just get rid of spellcasting. At the very least, make it the ranger list, or something more restrictive than the CLERIC list. In any case, Barb's generally need all three physical stats to be high, so the likelyhood that they will even have a score that will allow them to cast at all is pretty low.

The cleric list at that point is pretty dedicated and the cantrips aren't that great for battle in comparison to other casting sub-classes. While it does seem to be a little shameless the domains actually bring in much needed diversity in comparison to the other arcane ones or even druid casting. Remember it uses the same spell slots and known as an Eldritch Knight. Also, the point would that they have to consider shaving down some of the physical stats like the Eldritch Knight.

Scarab112
2015-01-11, 07:20 PM
The cleric list at that point is pretty dedicated and the cantrips aren't that great for battle in comparison to other casting sub-classes. While it does seem to be a little shameless the domains actually bring in much needed diversity in comparison to the other arcane ones or even druid casting. Remember it uses the same spell slots and known as an Eldritch Knight. Also, the point would that they have to consider shaving down some of the physical stats like the Eldritch Knight.

The Druid spell list might be more fitting, although there are also a lot of good class features here outside of that. The spellcasting does feel a bit extraneous for that reason. I could see using the ranger list to limit it further, but overall it's not a huge deal.

You might consider giving it the ability to cast rituals from one of those classes instead, rather than outright giving it spell slots. It would help cement the idea that it's for out of combat utility.

Amnoriath
2015-01-11, 07:45 PM
The Druid spell list might be more fitting, although there are also a lot of good class features here outside of that. The spellcasting does feel a bit extraneous for that reason. I could see using the ranger list to limit it further, but overall it's not a huge deal.

You might consider giving it the ability to cast rituals from one of those classes instead, rather than outright giving it spell slots. It would help cement the idea that it's for out of combat utility.

1. The Druid is about nature, animals..etc this is about spirits and reverence of the ancestors. It really isn't. Well keep in mind that the bulk of those fighting abilities are tied with taking up 1 or 2 attunement slots. Again, some input in how attuned items scale through out a campaign to exactly know how good they are.
2. I originally started with that but then it became very hard to balance that with the fact it is a spirit guided "Fighter" in relation to the Champion as they were more passive. So I gave it spell slots to nova a bit with rage and it cleaned up the abilities as well as entered in a bit of resource management.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-11, 08:38 PM
I'm highly disappointed I saw no Mulan references....:smalltongue:

I would totally drop spell casting and give a spirit guardian of sort that works like the wizard familiar... Later on be able to cast divinity spells by asking said guardian questions.

Watch out for giving bonus feats, feats are really really really nice in this edition and aren't always balanced.

Amnoriath
2015-01-12, 06:39 AM
I'm highly disappointed I saw no Mulan references....:smalltongue:

I would totally drop spell casting and give a spirit guardian of sort that works like the wizard familiar... Later on be able to cast divinity spells by asking said guardian questions.

Watch out for giving bonus feats, feats are really really really nice in this edition and aren't always balanced.

1. Sorry:smallredface:, but that does give me an idea for a Fighter sub-class. Thank you
2. Expanding on what I said before it is two iconic, scaling manifestations that are passive so it really expands consistent options that aren't resource based. Again the casting is there as a means to not only work in utility but provide "guidance" bonuses with out completely emasculating other martial classes.
3. Yes they are, but it can't have any more than what a Fighter gets and they are paying 2 attunement slots for them.