PDA

View Full Version : Well, DOS games live on.

Antonok
2015-01-06, 08:10 PM
Interesting site (https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2#collection) I came across. Has a crap load of different old MS-DOS games (some are demos, some are full games, etc) that you can play in your browser. Wasted most of this evening in nostalgia land.

Dunno, just thought I'd share this for the fellow old school gamers out there.

~WARNING~ Does contain some NSFW games, browse at your own risk.

Gnoman
2015-01-06, 08:19 PM
Several of the games on that site aren't work-safe, in case you didn't notice.

Antonok
2015-01-06, 08:24 PM
Oh, No I did not. I mostly searched for specific games. I'll amend the first post with a NSFW.

Edit: Wow. That was... a heck of a thing to miss O_o (started scrolling thru the games)

Psyren
2015-01-06, 08:32 PM
Engadget article (http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/06/internet-archive-dos-games/)

I was following this when they were starting it up, and they were still working out some of the kinks with emulating DOS games in... Javascript, is it? Nice to see it coming along so well.

And I just saw Alley Cat. Yay!

Iruka
2015-01-07, 11:38 AM
Several of the games on that site aren't work-safe, in case you didn't notice.

Are there any games that are safe for work? :smalltongue:

Maryring
2015-01-07, 12:11 PM
Depends on which gaming company you work for. :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2015-01-07, 12:28 PM
Didn't one of the Space Quest games have a Boss Button built in that transformed it into spreadsheets?

Psyren
2015-01-07, 04:55 PM
Depends on which gaming company you work for. :smallbiggrin:

Or who's standing behind you :smalltongue:

Didn't one of the Space Quest games have a Boss Button built in that transformed it into spreadsheets?

Most of the old sierra games had this. LSL dumped you to fake dos prompt IIRC.

Flickerdart
2015-01-07, 05:37 PM
I actually know one of the people who worked on this (his code is what actually loads the game ZIP), it's some pretty neat stuff.

veti
2015-01-07, 06:15 PM
There's a Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2?? Well, there goes my weekend.

I'm still waiting for someone to port Elite to a pure-Javascript implementation that I can play offline. It should be possible...

Gnoman
2015-01-07, 11:32 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to port Elite to a pure-Javascript implementation that I can play offline. It should be possible...

Why not just play Oolite?

factotum
2015-01-08, 03:31 AM
Or get one of the originals from Ian Bell's website? He has pretty much every version ever, and since he's the co-creator of the game, I assume everything is legal and above board with them.

shadow_archmagi
2015-01-08, 01:12 PM
There's a Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2?? Well, there goes my weekend.

Wait, what? There's an actual Leather Goddesses of Phobos ONE!?

I thought that game title was a joke for a throwaway line in Sierra games!

veti
2015-01-08, 03:08 PM
Wait, what? There's an actual Leather Goddesses of Phobos ONE!?

I thought that game title was a joke for a throwaway line in Sierra games!

Oh, it's a real game. And it's on that site too.

I just read of the sequel that it has graphics and voice acting, so I've lost interest. The original is pure text, and I don't think a high-end modern PC working flat-out could come even remotely close to the quality of graphics and voice acting in that.

Why not just play Oolite?

Good idea, and thank you for reminding me to try that...

SaintRidley
2015-01-08, 05:15 PM
Jill of the Jungle? Overkill? Warlords? Flying Tigers? My childhood has been resurrected.

There are a few games that are unplayable due to needing to consult the manual to start them. I'm looking at you, Empire.

Gnoman
2015-01-08, 05:18 PM
Replacementdocs probably has them.

Crow
2015-01-09, 06:56 PM
I can't believe this isn't Websensed. Yes!

Krade
2015-01-10, 03:26 PM
Replacementdocs probably has them.

Thank you for this. So much. I never knew that site existed. One of my all time favorite games, Dungeon Hack, requires the manual to pass the first level and every seller online I've found says "Disc Only". Many of those same sellers have the manual for sale separately for twice as much as the game itself, so I never got it again. Now? Now I've already ordered them game and downloaded the manual:smallbiggrin: