PDA

View Full Version : vermin lord

j_spencer93
2015-01-06, 08:44 PM
A player of mine really can not make up his mind for a build but has always been interested in this class, however i think it looks very underwhelming. IS this class strong or a trap?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-06, 08:48 PM
If you are talking about the one from BoVD then its capstone will explode your game. It still uses the "make a hivemind rules" they later took out of dark speech, so he just needs to summon up some vermin (or be in a particularly seedy place) and suddenly CL 20+ sorcerer! Otherwise it loses casting which sucks but it is pretty neat. As long as your players aren't going too high end and you fix that capstone it should be fine.

eggynack
2015-01-06, 08:49 PM
It only advances casting half of the time, and isn't full of any ridiculousness, so mostly a trap. Even a dip isn't all that interesting, as it takes a feat and doesn't give you much. As I recall, the hivemind capstone might have some amusing ramifications, though I'm unsure of their nature.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-06, 09:02 PM
It only advances casting half of the time, and isn't full of any ridiculousness, so mostly a trap. Even a dip isn't all that interesting, as it takes a feat and doesn't give you much. As I recall, the hivemind capstone might have some amusing ramifications, though I'm unsure of their nature.

I once had a caster level of ~200. It was amusing since it mostly provided un-dispellable spells. The big problem is access to 9ths at 13th and the fact that spells like Gate and Wish are drawn off the hivemind's experience pool, not yours, making them quite spammable.

I also though it was 7/10 for some reason, so I would recommend soften the capstone, give it 7/10 casting and call it a day.

j_spencer93
2015-01-06, 09:17 PM
ok ill keep this in mind. can i have a rough build idea please.