PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class] Mountebank Fix

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-06, 10:23 PM
The mountebank retains its original class features and gains these in addition. I didn't reproduce the abilities that I didn't change (I only changed Aspect of the Damned) so as to avoid issues with copyrighted material.

Lv
BAB
FORT
REF
WILL
SPECIAL

+0
+0
+2
+2

+1
+0
+3
+3

+2
+1
+3
+3

+3
+1
+4
+4

+3
+1
+4
+4

+4
+2
+5
+5

+5
+2
+5
+5
Infernal Charm

+6/+1
+2
+6
+6

+6/+1
+3
+6
+6

+7/+2
+3
+7
+7
Master Beguilement

+8/+3
+3
+7
+7

+9/+4
+4
+4
+8

+9/+4
+4
+8
+8
Infernal Dominate

+10/+5
+4
+9
+9

+11/+6/+1
+5
+9
+9
Swift Beguilement

+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10

+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10
Infernal Manipulator, Poisoned Mind

+13/+8/+3
+6
+11
+11

+14/+9/+4
+6
+11
+11

+15/+10/+5
+6
+12
+12
Become the Patron, Supreme Beguilement, Aspect of the Damned

Infernal Patron: Infernal Charm (Su): The mountebank's dark powers allow her to corrupt the wills of weaker foes. By expending one use of her infernal patron ability the mountebank can replicate Charm Monster (DC 10 +1/2 mountebank's level + Charisma modifier) cast by a sorcerer with a caster level equal to her mountebank level except the DC to detect the influence by sense motive in increased by 10 and this power can only be used on targets that are already beguiled.

Infernal Dominate (Su): The mountebank's greater connection to the darkness allowed her to bind her foes' minds. By expending two uses of her infernal patron ability the mountebank can replicate Dominate Monster (DC 10 +1/2 mountebank's level + Charisma modifier) cast by a sorcerer with a caster level equal to her mountebank level except the DC to detect the influence by sense motive in increased by 10 and this power can only be used on targets that are already beguiled.

Infernal Manipulator (Su): Whenever a mountebank successfully deceives a target with a bluff check she may spend three uses of her infernal patron ability to immediately attempt to take control of their minds as Dominate Monster (DC 10 +1/2 mountebank's level + Charisma modifier) except this is not considered a mind-affecting, compulsion effect and may not be detected by non-magical means.

Poisoned Mind (Su): The mountebank may spend one use of her Infernal Patron ability to use Mind Blank on herself cast by a sorcerer with a caster level equal to her mountebank level.

Master Beguilement: A mountebank's powers no longer work merely on the mind but affect the truth of reality underneath. Beguiling Stare and Mass Beguile are no longer mind-affecting abilities and the DC of the knowledge (the planes) check to detect their usage is increased by 10.

Swift Beguilement: A mountebank may use Beguiling Stare as a swift action 1+Charisma Modifier times per day.

Supreme Beguilement: Beguiling Stare and Mass Beguile now last for four rounds and can be used multiple times against the same target the same day. Additionally a knowledge check no longer reveals that either ability was used.

Aspect of the Damned: The mountebank's soul comes due her master. She is dragged down to the lower planes to become the pawn of greater beings. She can avoid fate by, within one month of becoming 20th level, offering up 100 HD of humanoids controlled by her Infernal Manipulator and Infernal Dominate abilities in one sacrificial night. Unless she does she does not gain Become the Patron.

Become the Patron: The mountebank has come into her own as an infernal power. First her uses of infernal patron double. Her alignment switches to evil if it is not already and her type changes to outsider, she gains the evil subtype, damage reduction 10/good, and choose one of the following:
Demon: the mountebank gains the chaotic subtype, immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, the ability to Summon (Sp) a nalfeshnee once per day with a caster level equal to character level, and telepathy;
Devil: the mountebank gains the lawful subtype, immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, See in Darkness (Su), the ability to Summon (Sp) a cornugon once per day with a caster level equal to her character level, and telepathy.
Yugoloth: the mountebank gains immunity to acid and poison, resistance to cold 10, fire 10, and electricity 10, the ability to Summon (Sp) an ultroloth (MMIII) once per day with a caster level equal to her character level, and telepathy.

The Changes:

Good will save: It seemed odd that someone with the ability to deceive and beguile others was as strong willed as the average fighter, especially considering she managed to make a decent deal with a fiend (her soul only actually comes due on level 20).

Infernal Charm: The first few levels of mountebank are actually alright, nothing stellar, but okay. When you hit this first dead level is when things really go downhill. The mountebank's big theme is supposed to be deception, worming her way into the graces of other, hiding her true nature and corrupting them, so I went with one of the quintessential mind control spells. For much of her life a mountebank has a very narrow window to try to use it; beguiling stare lasts until the end of her next turn and a person cannot be hit by it twice on the same day, so it is not as dangerous as it seems.

Master Beguilement: This is one is a bit odd I admit, but quite frankly having your entire offensive set gunning off of mind-affecting abilities is pretty horrific. The Infernal Charm/Infernal Dominate abilities are still mind-affecting so there still defenses against it.

Infernal Dominate: This is pretty much an upgrade to Infernal Charm, costs a little more, a little easier to detect, but hey, dominate! Still takes two turns to fire off.

Swift Beguilement: Well, it did. At this stage we are seeing some pretty powerful stuff off of casters, so no longer being bogged down to "beguile" "stuff" "beguile" "stuff" seems almost overdo at this point. I just slotted it into a dead level.

Infernal Manipulator: Excruciatingly powerful, yes. But it is coming online at 9th level spells, so there are bigger guns coming out, even from T3/T4 casters. What makes this dangerous is that your biggest defense is Sense Motive and Bluff is a class skill for the mountebank (and Charisma is really their primary attribute).

Supreme Beguilement: One last boost for the road folks and to help you out on your quest to cull one hundred HD worth out humanoids.

Aspect of the Damned: Originally this was "slap half-fiend on and go directly to the lower planes" with some fairly nebulous escape clause stuff. 1) I don't like leaving my character up to DM whimsy and 2) that seemed like an odd dump, just a big ol' honkin' template. I liked the fluff so I kept the concept but I made the process discrete and instead gave two more thematic abilities for completing the final task.

Become the Patron: Fairly standard stuff here initially, outsider, dr, etc. Picking the demon or devil traits is a bit odd, but at this point the idea is you have become like a living duke/minor prince of the lower planes. You have sold many souls for power and have comitted dark acts and are now receiving your true reward.

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-07, 12:13 AM
A nice buff to a crappy class. But what do they do against mind-affecting-immune foes besides cry in the corner?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-07, 09:59 AM
They can still beguile them post-10 to use Deceptive Strike. It's not much but it's there. Also don't forget they are a 6+int skill class with a nice list, including UMD. The goal here is to goal them a better niche than "expert with bad class features."

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-07, 04:24 PM
They can still beguile them post-10 to use Deceptive Strike. It's not much but it's there. Also don't forget they are a 6+int skill class with a nice list, including UMD. The goal here is to goal them a better niche than "expert with bad class features."

Ah, I missed the Master Beguilement ability. I like.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-07, 07:53 PM
The big goal was to emphasize the corrupting nature of the lower planes and how insidious it can be; only the wary (sense motive) and the strong willed (Will save) can resist it. Eventually it becomes impossible to notice it is so subtle, but that is when corruption is really at its most dangerous.

Mechanically I wanted to give them some offensive options, although I am thinking an HD limit may be in order to prevent minionmancy issues (although wizards do seem to avoid them on their own).

dragonjek
2015-01-08, 02:32 AM
I like it. I've always held an interest in the Montebank, but the class was... sub-par. And honestly, how did anyone think it was a good idea to punish someone for reaching 20th level?

You've ramped up both their power and the fiendish nature of the class, and provided abilities that are interesting both thematically and mechanically. I do wonder about the demon/devil summoning, though--if they are supposed to be a sort of minor lord of the Lower Planes, wouldn't they be able to summon even lower ranked fiends? It seems like a demon lord or devil prince would be... upset... over losing such a powerful soul. Do they still need to pay some sort of fealty to their once-masters to keep the almost godlike beings from just ripping their little fiendish domains apart?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-08, 02:05 PM
A 20th level character is a monstrously powerful thing, theoretically as strong as a pit fiend or balor (by the pretty bad CR rules). A balor can summon a balor or marilith and a pit fiend can summon a cornugon, so it seems alright to me, from a fluff perspective. From a power level perspective having a meaningful summon is very important, so I wanted something that was thematically appropriate and a decent grab off of Planar Ally.

I rewrote Become the Patron to include yugoloths and to clarify what it does exactly.

SangoProduction
2016-01-04, 05:57 AM
This is kinda cool.