PDA

View Full Version : New Satyr Race

Endal
2015-01-06, 11:18 PM
These are the stats for a new race I wanted to put together. I created it by mixing the Monster Manual's description with the Halfling and Half-Elf races. Let me know what you guys think.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2

Age. True creatures of the feywild, Satyrs reach their full maturity within the first few years of their lives. They have a child-like abandon because of their quick maturing process and will usually live up to 200 years. Satyrs will generally become wise as they reach their 150th year, though this is not guaranteed.

Alignment. Satyrs range in the Chaotic spectrum of alignment and will often disregard the concequenses of the hedonism they incite in others

Size. Satyrs are a little bit taller than Halflings, but shorter than Elves. Your size is Medium

Speed. 30ft

Darkvision. Due to your fae heritage, you have superior vision in the dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if you were in bright light, and in darkness as if you were in dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Satyr Nimbility. You can cross over difficult terrain as though it were normal

Fay Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects

Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in two one Charisma based skills

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice Sylvan

Naanomi
2015-01-06, 11:25 PM
Fey Ancestory seems a bit strong, it is better than the Gnome Cunning racial which is one of the big selling points on Gnomes.

Given there are only 3 charisma skills (and intimidation is a poor fit), maybe just say 'proficient in Deception and Persuasion'?

Also, why do they not speak Sylvan?

Endal
2015-01-06, 11:42 PM
Heh, funny that you mention Sylvan, because that's the race my guy took. I can easily see that being a good swap there instead of the Common +1.

Good call on the Charisma change, though I could also see a Satyr being an aggressive character (if need be) and being somewhat intimidating. If a goat man slammed into me, I'd be intimidated (shrugs) Either way it works.

Fey Ancestry was one that I pulled out of the MM. I suppose it would be a good change to make that something that would be advantage on saving throws against illusory or enchantment spells. Basically make them resist the stuff that they're famous for.

Naanomi
2015-01-06, 11:48 PM
Or make it once per long rest; so it is good but not clearly superior to existing options.

Endal
2015-01-07, 12:00 AM
Good point. And to think, I was figuring y'all would attack the +3 stat points :D

AirApparent
2015-01-07, 01:57 AM
Also, would it be nimbleness instead of nimbility? I don't think that's a word.

Elves and half-elves get fey heritage which is advantage v. Charm spells. Sounds like a pretty good fit for satyrs if you ask me.

Balor777
2015-01-07, 05:40 AM
It would be nice to have advantage to stealh checks on natural environment in my opinion.

Rowan Wolf
2015-01-07, 07:23 AM
Here I was expecting a Dionysian bonus action feature like Imbibe Wine or Seduce.

mictrepanier
2015-01-07, 07:01 PM
directly from the MM, we have:

Satyr

Medium size
fey tag
Speed : 40 ft. +10’ than normal
Abilities adjustments: +2 Dx, +1 Ch
Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan

Magic Resistance. The satyr has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Ram: The Satyr has an highly efficient unarmed damage - 2d4 caused by a head butt

Feldarove
2015-01-07, 07:44 PM
I think I would allow them to pick one charisma based skill to be proficient in.

The fey have a force of personality, but choose how they use it. Some are seducers, some use their heritage to frighten the common folk, and some are sly.

If you drop skill prof down to one, its easier to justify the amazing advantage on magic saving throws. (which is too OP imho).