PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a Dragon with Multiple Personality Disorder

Zaninel
2015-01-06, 11:25 PM
Hello everyone,

This might sound like an odd situation but I'm trying to see if you guys might know a good way other than killing the dragon in question in how to deal with this. Preferably I'd like to keep them both alive since they haven't done anything to anyone. One personality is good or at least neutral and the other is evil and they are aware of each other. They are contained at the moment but my character feels guilty about the situation because this happened because of one of the other party members. Our assets include a druid, a cleric, multiple arcane mages, and a pretty hefty pile of gold. If there was a way that I could separate the different personalities that would be my personal choice in the matter.

Tarvus
2015-01-06, 11:40 PM
Well, Heal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm) is often fluffed to be able to remove most forms of insanity (not just Insanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm)). But thats fluff and would also likely take the simplest route of removing the newest personality to "restore" the older one.

Other than that, if its truly treated as another mind, psionic sandwich?

I think the most likely way, given it's not truely another mind, is perhaps one of the copying spells (simulacra, ice assassin, clone) - you cast Heal on the original to free the base personality, and then mindrape or Program Amnesia the copy to give the newer personality free reign?

Do note that your alignment might take a hit for keeping both around unless you're lawful (and have a prior agreement) or Neutral on the Good-Evil axis. Dragons are pretty powerful forces for their respective teams and releasing an evil one could be considered an evil act and releasing a good dragon might not be in an evil characters interests.

holywhippet
2015-01-07, 12:22 AM
If you have enough levels to try it, see if the DM will let you use the clone spell to make a duplicate then a wish spell to transfer one of the personalities to the clone.

Rockphed
2015-01-07, 12:28 AM
If you have enough levels to try it, see if the DM will let you use the clone spell to make a duplicate then a wish spell to transfer one of the personalities to the clone.

This is where my mind started going when somebody mentioned psionic sandwich. Honestly, you have a dragon contained. This means it is either a very young dragon, or you are very powerful.

Another option might be to use heal to cleanse the insanity from the dragon, and then cast a modified reincarnate on the newer personality. Unless they are fragments of an original, older personality, in which case things get dicey. You have a druid and some arcane casters. Reincarnate is 4th level last I checked. Researching a 5th or 6th level "Dragon Reincarnate" should be doable.

Malroth
2015-01-07, 12:29 AM
if your party is evil or pragmatic, Empowered Shivering Touch followed by your choice of Mindrape or Coup de Grace'.

DrMotives
2015-01-07, 12:34 AM
I wonder if you could use magic jar to remove one personality. Like the mental equivalent of surgery to separate conjoined twins.

SowZ
2015-01-07, 12:38 AM
Show him numerous studies that MPD isn't real and other disassociative disorders explain the disconnect and memory lapses in a more compelling way more consistent with how the brain actually compartmentalizes, and watch him disappear into nothingness.

DrMotives
2015-01-07, 12:44 AM
If the dragon has seen that John Lithgow movie about multiple personalities, that won't work. The dragon will know it's a creature of fantasy, and seeing the Lithgow fantasy is all that's needed to confirm its MPD's existence.

Lathund
2015-01-07, 02:37 AM
If the dragon has seen that John Lithgow movie about multiple personalities, that won't work. The dragon will know it's a creature of fantasy, and seeing the Lithgow fantasy is all that's needed to confirm its MPD's existence.

+1 internet for you

Zaninel
2015-01-07, 02:42 AM
I laughed harder at some of these more than I should have. I'll see if the DM will allow us to transfer a conciousness to a clone.