PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Run and flight

MediaMoogle
2015-01-07, 04:24 AM
Can I use the feat Run while Wild Shaped into a bird, say a hawk or an eagle?

Madhava
2015-01-07, 04:47 AM
Can I use the feat Run while Wild Shaped into a bird, say a hawk or an eagle?

Sure, I don't see why you couldn't.

Although you'd probably be a whole lot faster if you just used your wings and flew, instead. Hawks & eagles are not strong runners.

But an ostrich, on the other hand...

goto124
2015-01-07, 05:26 AM
Sure, I don't see why you couldn't.

Although you'd probably be a whole lot faster if you just used your wings and flew, instead. Hawks & eagles are not strong runners.

But an ostrich, on the other hand...

If you're a penguin, just swim away.

Jeff the Green
2015-01-07, 06:43 AM

Despite the name, you can run (and thus use the Run feat) while flying. For that matter, you can also Jump, which is nice if you have Sudden Leap.

Andezzar
2015-01-07, 06:47 AM
For that matter, you can also Jump, which is nice if you have Sudden Leap.What makes you think that?

Jeff the Green
2015-01-07, 07:01 AM
What makes you think that?

The fact that when the skill description says "you can jump" (though not in those words) it doesn't require that you start or end on a surface or that you use your land speed..

Andezzar
2015-01-07, 07:23 AM
That you can jump does not mean you actually do jump by gaining altitude in flight. Plain English requires you to push of from a solid surface to jump. You cannot do that in flight.

How about jumping while completely immersed in water?

Duke of Urrel
2015-01-07, 03:41 PM
I believe you can use the Run feat while you fly, but you must conform to the usual rules for running (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#run), flight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly), and tactical aerial movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#tacticalAerialMovement). In other words, when you "run" while flying (which the rules explicitly allow you to do), you must move in a straight line, you can't carry more than a light load, and you can't move at full speed at an upward angle unless you have perfect flight maneuverability.

EDIT: The Wild Shape ability also presents no barrier here, because of the following text (from here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)):

Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) Hit Dice, Hit Points, skill ranks, feats, Base Attack Bonus, and Base Save Bonuses.

The boldface is my own. The druid's Wild Shape ability is based upon the Alternate Form ability, from which the passage above is quoted.

Jeff the Green
2015-01-07, 11:43 PM
Rereading the text, I got the text of Jump and Sudden Leap mixed up. While it doesn't give you blanket permission to jump, you do have blanket permission to use Sudden Leap. You make a Jump check and move that distance; you don't actually have to be able jump. (Same thing with some of the other Tiger Claw maneuvers.)

Curmudgeon
2015-01-07, 11:59 PM
Rereading the text, I got the text of Jump and Sudden Leap mixed up. While it doesn't give you blanket permission to jump, you do have blanket permission to use Sudden Leap. You make a Jump check and move that distance; you don't actually have to be able jump. (Same thing with some of the other Tiger Claw maneuvers.)
You do have to be able to Jump. The instruction to make a Jump check brings you back to the normal limitations of the skill:
Use this skill to leap over pits, vault low fences, or reach a tree’s lowest branches.
Check: The DC and the distance you can cover vary according to the type of jump you are attempting (see below). Your Sudden Leap Jump check is required to be one of the types of Jump listed in the skill description, which in turn all require you to be able to Jump normally (push off from a surface). What you do with the Jump check varies from the norm for Sudden Leap, but the requirements for making a Jump check do not change.

MediaMoogle
2015-01-08, 09:58 PM
My original intent is to wild shape into a hawk and use the run feat as a means to turbocharge my flight speed. But the visual of a hawk trying to run away on foot will have to be roleplayed.

Andezzar
2015-01-08, 10:10 PM
So I wasn't clear enough, my intent is to wild shape into a hawk and use the run feat as a means to turbocharge my flight speed."Running" while flying is not a problem, jumping while flying is:
A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.

When running, you move five times your normal speed (if wearing medium, light, or no armor and carrying no more than a medium load) or four times your speed (if wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load).
Also running never increases your speed, it allows a greater distance to be traveled in a round.