PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building an Orc Fighter (Tips appreciated)

5w337x7007h
2015-01-07, 05:14 AM
Tuesday was a long awaited session that ended in an unusual feeling for me, I was playing the group cleric, a tengu, and got eaten by a giant gar. I'm not upset, sorta happy actually, I get to try out a character development that I want to play with.

I'm making a Lvl 6 Orc Fighter, and my stats are as follows.

Str 22
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 5
Wis 12
Cha 5

I've looked up how to play him, so as far as I can tell, he'd act as a socially awkward, simple-minded fellow. And his profession is that of the group Viscera Cleanup Janitor, though he most-likely will be the cause of the majority of the viscera that he cleans up.

I'm just trying to figure out feats now. And I think I went overboard on the Cleave aspect.
Current feats for the build are as follows.

Power Attack, Cleave
Combat Reflexes
Cleaving Finish
Great Cleave
Weapon Focus - Falchion
Improved Cleaving Finish

I'm thinking the build might be too quickly built, like I'm missing something important.

BWR
2015-01-07, 05:46 AM
Combat Reflexes is likely a wasted feat. Unless you have a reach weapon and other ways to consistenly get them, you're better off with something else. Weapon Focus is better at lower levels than higher, but as a Fighter you have feats to spare.
Furious Focus is a classic (ignore PA penalty on your first attack).
If your DM allows the ARG, there are several Orc only feats that are pretty nice. Grudge Fighter gives you a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage against targets who have attacked you this combat.
Orc Weapon Expertise allows you to choose from a number of minor but useful bonuses, like getting a +2 shield bonus to AC while wielding a two-handed weapon.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-07, 05:55 AM
If that's the case I'll replace combat reflexes with furious focus. It does seem more beneficial to have a power attack without issues even if it's only the first attack per round.

So after Improved Cleaving Finish I'm thinking Iron Will would definitely help, considering my will is only a 12.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-07, 03:59 PM
Any other advice? I'm beginning to worry I'm over thinking this, but should I get Toughness in place of another and just move everything up a level?

Ssalarn
2015-01-07, 04:55 PM
Any other advice? I'm beginning to worry I'm over thinking this, but should I get Toughness in place of another and just move everything up a level?

It's fairly hard to screw up an orc fighter (especially at the level you're looking at) which is probably why you aren't getting a lot of hits.

Your stats are already pretty solid, I wouldn't bother with Toughness. Furious Focus is a good replacement for Combat Reflexes, and your other feats are all pretty much where they should be for this level.

Are you sticking with generic Fighter (I'm assuming so based on the stat spread), or are you grabbing an archetype like the Two-Handed Fighter? With all that STR it seems like Overhand Chop and the other THF abilities would be a smart way to go.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-07, 10:17 PM
Well I was looking at Sash of the Sun Champion which offers a 4 level jump for armor training and bravery. I'm trying to be the tank of the group, as well as the janitor, so those boosts would be a boon, wouldn't they?

5w337x7007h
2015-01-07, 11:35 PM
I think I'm gonna build up a Sword & Board, like the one in Rogue Eidolon's fighter guide. Seems like a good idea to go with, considering I want to tank for the party.

Sayt
2015-01-08, 12:15 AM
If you wanted to take Combat Reflexes, I'd suggest a reach polearm and the Disruptive line instead of the Cleave line.

Alternatively, you actually have the feats to get Shatter Defenses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shatter-defenses-combat---final), Intimidating Prowess (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/intimidating-prowess-combat---final), Cornugon Smash (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cornugon-smash-combat)and Hurtful (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/hurtful-combat).

Only problem is that you need two feats at 6th level, so you can't have it all at 6.

Feint's End
2015-01-08, 03:05 AM
I think I'm gonna build up a Sword & Board, like the one in Rogue Eidolon's fighter guide. Seems like a good idea to go with, considering I want to tank for the party.

The problem is there are no real tanking mechanics in pathfinder so while you will be hard to kill enemies can just ignore you.

I suggest you look at third party if you want to tank or at a reach weapon in combination with crowd control feats if you want to go fighter ... The best way of tanking is to stop enemies from reaching your allies.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-08, 11:59 AM
Well considering the penalties to Int Wis and Cha, how should I stat myself up? It's a 25 point buy.

Also, should I try out Polearm Master archetype?

Ashes
2015-01-08, 02:30 PM

How will you use your falchion if you're sword-and-boarding?

5w337x7007h
2015-01-09, 02:12 AM
I'm not really sure how I want to build this Fighter, it's plaguing my mind. I don't want the enemy to get near my allies, so I want to throw up a good combative style that'll say, "You gotta go through me to get to them." Even to monsters much bigger than I am.

Feint's End
2015-01-09, 05:48 AM
I'm not really sure how I want to build this Fighter, it's plaguing my mind. I don't want the enemy to get near my allies, so I want to throw up a good combative style that'll say, "You gotta go through me to get to them." Even to monsters much bigger than I am.

Are you willing to use 3rd party.? Dreamscarred press has the warder who can actually tank.

Otherwise you'll need to go with a reach weapon.

skypse
2015-01-09, 06:31 AM
Drop Cleave feat tree. It seems useful and stuff but it is very situational and takes away your full attack action since it is a standar action itself. Better take two-weapon fighting and grab an Orc Double-Axe. Weapon focus/Specialization+Orc Weapon Expertise for the extra AC and you are golden.

Consider taking the two-handed fighter proposed above since double-axe as a 2handed weapon and it can REALLY hurt.

Also taking a 1lvl dip in barbie and grabing Ferocious Action racial feat. You already got a ton of hp and with the +4 boost in CON you will be able to tank much longer and the extra 10 speed (considering you are using Medium armor with this DEX) gives you a big advantage on battlefield positioning and charge ranges. Plus it will help you with your low Will Saves since rage adds 2 Will.

Spore
2015-01-09, 07:07 AM
I really like the feats Saving Shield and Antagonize for your style. Sadly the latter requires the enemy to hear you and understand your language.

5w337x7007h
2015-01-09, 01:19 PM
Alright! I've decided! I'm going to go the sword & board build with the Phalanx Fighter archetype. It lets me turn a polearm into a one-handed weapon, a shield for dealing with guys up next to me.

Any issues with this plan?

I'm gonna adjust and use this build, http://taking10.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-best-two-weapon-fighter-build-in.html