PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to shrink magical items?

ILM
2015-01-07, 05:33 AM
Shrink Item only works on non-magical items :smallannoyed:. Any other option?

Gwachitallemall
2015-01-07, 06:49 AM
Shrink yourself?

IIRC, most magic items will automatically shrink with you, the only ones that won't are weapons and armor, which have a chance of growing or shrinking with you. 75% or so I believe.

I may be completely wrong too, I don't have my DMG in front of me, or my MIC, one of which has the rules on this specific use.

olelia
2015-01-07, 08:09 AM
Shrink Item only works on non-magical items :smallannoyed:. Any other option?

Would the glove of storing work?

Glove of Storing

This device is a simple leather glove. On command, one item held in the hand wearing the glove disappears. The item can weigh no more than 20 pounds and must be able to be held in one hand. While stored, the item has negligible weight. With a snap of the fingers wearing the glove, the item reappears. A glove can only store one item at a time. Storing or retrieving the item is a free action. The item is held in stasis and shrunk down so small within the palm of the glove that it cannot be seen. Spell durations are not suppressed, but continue to expire. If an effect is suppressed or dispelled, the stored item appears instantly.

Faint transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, shrink item; Price 10,000 gp (one glove).

ILM
2015-01-07, 08:44 AM
Would the glove of storing work?
Good thinking, but too expensive for my purposes. I'm trying to shrink some Aspect Mirrors (CS) to create cell phones, basically; this brings their cost up to 14,000gp which is a bit much.

I mean, I could always handwave different sized mirrors (or houserule Shrink Item to work on magic items too), but I'm curious now. I mean, so many magic items can be resized freely (such as when under the effect of a Reduce or Enlarge person spell), or rely on the Shrink Item spell to be created (such as the gloves you mention) - yet Shrink Item can't affect magic items for some reason, which is stupid.

Gwachitallemall
2015-01-07, 09:35 AM
Why not use a pair of sending stones instead? Cost 1400, in the MIC.

DigoDragon
2015-01-07, 09:55 AM
yet Shrink Item can't affect magic items for some reason, which is stupid.

The limitation is to prevent some shenanigans that players will think up, such as smuggling an army of golems into a city as a box of collectible action figures. :smallbiggrin: I can't think of any options other than to commission a pair of modified mirrors that are the size you want.

ILM
2015-01-07, 12:02 PM
The limitation is to prevent some shenanigans that players will think up, such as smuggling an army of golems into a city as a box of collectible action figures. :smallbiggrin:
Well, golems have magic immunity anyway...

Rubik
2015-01-07, 01:35 PM
Magic items are, unless otherwise stated, Medium sized, but they can be made for creatures of different sizes, so just procure or create a pair of mirrors that's sized for, say, a Diminutive sized creature.

Or you could cast Dispel Magic, cast Shrink Item and Permanency, and resize as necessary.

There's also the glove of the master strategist, from Ghostwalk. Costs a mere 3,600 gp, AND it gives 1/day True Strike in addition to the (otherwise) ridiculously overpriced glove of storing effect.

Darrin
2015-01-07, 05:08 PM
Put the magic item inside a non-magical container. Cast shrink item on the container*.

* = Note: I am not responsible for any "DIVIDE BY CUCUMBER" errors.

Cruiser1
2015-01-07, 09:47 PM
Shrink Item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkItem.htm) not working on magic items gives a foolproof way to detect a magic item. For example, Nystul's Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) can give an item a fake magic aura, and a failed will save will make you think the item is magical even after casting Identify. Therefore cast Shrink Item on any potential magic item, and if it doesn't shrink, you know it's magic! :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2015-01-07, 11:24 PM
Or you could cast Dispel Magic, cast Shrink Item and Permanency, and resize as necessary.
That assumes that the item will stay shrunken after Dispel Magic wears off. However, the restriction is not in the Target line of Shrink Item, but in the description:
You are able to shrink one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 1/16 of its normal size in each dimension (to about 1/4,000 the original volume and mass). The spell headers only need to be correct at spellcasting. The description restrictions apply throughout the duration of the spell.