PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood the next frontier.

Pages : [1] 2

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-07, 01:27 PM
A Brief history

The year was 2431, the world's population had reached critical mass. Two sides sought solutions to this problem. The World Market Directive (WMD) who treated national governments like puppets and playthings planned to unleash weaponized viruses into the low income populations worldwide, decreasing the population through democidal eradication of the poor. Meanwhile a humanitarian group made of private investors, scientists, and engineers, known as the New Earth Coalition, purchased and re-purposed several decommissioned subterranean missile silos in the American mid-west. There they secretly constructed six vessels known as Arks. Each Ark was equipped with terraforming technology that could enhance a planet's surface and atmosphere to support human life. They were loaded with cryochambers full of seeds, fertilized embryos of various animal species, and carefully selected crew of 12 doctors, scientists, farmers, and engineers. Each ark was piloted by an android who was programmed to not only pilot the shuttle, but to operate the terraforming tech and the cryochambers.
Unfortunately, the New Earth Coalition was found out before they had a chance to select targets for each arc and set paths to these target planets. The Silos came under attack and the the arcs were launched to prevent them from being destroyed. The first shuttle was shot down, the second made it into orbit and it was presumed that it was on route to mars, but the third ship was struck by an EMP weapon as it was launched. The solid fuel rockets continued to propel it straight out of the atmosphere and on out of orbit and into space before they burned out and left it in drift. However the ships electronics were heavily damaged, the communications and navigation controls were destroyed. The Android pilot was shut down until its systems automatically reset nearly 100 years later. The Cryochambers were enclosed in metal casings that acted as Faraday cages and protected them from the blast.
Once the Android pilot reached its reset point it powered back up, and though it had no memories of its personal past it maintained its programming and was able to resume some control of the derelict craft. The arc was landed on an unknown moon in an unknown galaxy, the moon had no signs of intelligent life, but it showed signs of simple plant and reptilian life forms. The terraforming began and soon the crew and cryocargo were reanimated. The terraforming had unanticipated effects on the native life by causing accelerated evolution and creating several species of primitive humanoid lifeforms. During the process of unpacking and growing the cargo, some of the crew stumbled upon a centuries old book of tales that had been stowed in the ark. The tales were of a simpler time and an easier life than any of them had ever known, and it was decided then, that these tales would be the basis of their new society.
Six generations of humans have been born to the deadwood colony since the landing, initial resources are in need of replenishing. The native populations are present, but largely unknown to the colonials, who never venture out too far from deadwood, a town which is built from the lumber of trees killed in the arc landing.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-10, 12:10 AM
"I suppose you're all wondering why I've gathered you here today." Says Sheriff Caleb Newhall, kicked back behind his desk, boots crossed over the left corner. "Well, the answer is all around you. We're running out of resources. Can't sustain the town here much longer. We're going to need another settlement, somewhere safe, with plentiful resources. That is where you come in. I'm putting my hopes in the chance that you folks can find us a new place to call home. You may be wondering why a Smith, a Doctor, a Purveyor of tonics and elixirs, a bounty hunter, and a classy lady like miss Lyna here would be the chosen for such a task. Well the fact of the matter is, quite simply, each of you has a bit more grit than the rest of the folks here. Whether that be from alien influence or just plain drive to survive, the fact remains that most folks wouldn't last a week outside of town. He drops his feet to the floor and sits up. "Past year or so we've had folks leaving out on there own, never to be heard from. That could mean that they've found a place to drive a stake in the ground, and are livin' life just fine; but between the injuns, wild animals, and the just plain unknown, I wouldn't bet on the odds of that bein' the case. Now I've arranged for you folks to travel with a native guide. She,... well I think it's a she anyhow, kinda hard to tell, oh uh... She should be along any minute now." He eases back in his chair once again, but doesn't prop his feet. "Y'all go ahead and talk amongst yerselves, an get to know each other better."

Heeroshin
2015-01-10, 10:56 AM
Standing in the back of the group is Myr, an Elfish Gunslinger. Few of you notice he's even there until the mayor mentions him. He's tall, slender, and decked out in full Old Western garb, his clothes are caked with dust from his recent excursions. A face wrap covers his face from his nose down and he keeps his hat tipped low. His dirty grey hair is braided and falls from his back to hang past his knees. Any perceptive characters who frequents the saloon would notice he is often sitting there in a corner drinking whiskey and reading a book.

Myr walks away from the back of the group to a nearby wall and leans against it. "I'm not useful to you outside of taking a man down." Folds his arms and looks for words under his hat. "Give me my rifle and a clear line of sight and I'll start picking them off before they've even seen me. Didn't have much hand-to-hand training, so our chances are better if you keep the enemy out of my face. I'm trained as a spotter, too. So if you need someone to survey the land i'm one of your better choices." He falls silent.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-10, 10:57 AM
A short male figure leans against the wall, He wears a long coat covers most of his body, from his back, through the coat, a pair of wing sprouts, Grey Feathers growing from them. His coat seems stained with age and weird substances. His face seems alien, a slightly over grown nose, small beady eyes, a wisps of a beard growing at the side of his jaw, but none on his chin. From inside his coat you can make out he wears a bandoleer, and a thick belt. The hat he wears has a low brim, but has a thick back across it to hold it on his head. He tips his hat to the group.

"Names Swizzlestick, Ill be your scientist"

Andrew Markham
2015-01-10, 11:18 AM
Sitting in a chair listening to the sheriff intently is an oddity: a blue-skinned humanoid with white eyes. He dresses in a ornate gray robe, and carries no visible weapons. He takes a few notes on parchment as Newhall speaks, and nods in acknowledgement of the two who speak to the group.

After they have finished, the blue-skinned man turns his chair so he is half-facing the others chosen, and half facing the sheriff. In a refined, educated, and slightly snotty voice, he declares, "I am Hanar, and many of you know me as the local healer. What you don't realize is that my true occupation is as an Arcane Researcher. I shall not trouble you with details on the subject, but decided to say I have significantly more to contribute to this outing than my small talent with healing magics. In exchange for the time I am taking away from my own pursuits for the sake of this town, I would like an agreement that any items of arcane significance we might find shall pass through my hands first, for study and analysis, before ownership of them is decided. Is there any objection to this?"

While the matter is decided, he turns to the sheriff and asks, "Outside of the obvious need for food and water, what other resources would you consider to be a high priority?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-10, 12:20 PM
"Well, I'd say I'm putting a lot of trust in your collective judgement Doc. Food, water, and shelter are paramount, other qualities I'll leave to your discretion. " Sheriff Newhall says, letting out a heavy breath.

palupton
2015-01-10, 11:01 PM
On the backside of the room, leaning against the wall, keeping an eye on things out the window, and arms folded in front of her, a tall and distinguished woman stood listening to the others. She wore an almost floor length, deep burgundy bustle skirt with a split up to her mid-thigh that revealed black netted tights and mid-calf sensible boots when she moved, and a rich golden colored, under-bust corset over a black 3/4 sleeve shirt. A rich brown leather belt was tilted over her corset with strange markings inscribed on it, and there was a single visible hilt sticking out from near her left hip. Her most defining features were her voluminous red hair that hung in loose ringlets to her waist, half of it pulled back to keep it out of her face, and her piercing eyes that looked metallic they were so vibrant and grey. They complimented her sun-kissed skin well. She turned her gaze into the room as it fell silent, a small smirk playing on her lips.

"Classy Miss Lyna, here. Light on my feet, and never been afraid to fight up close and personal. Decent at finding things too, if I do say so myself. Nice to meet ya." she said with a slight country twang, and a slight nod of her head.

Ulfy
2015-01-11, 10:07 AM
Standing amongst you is a very tall fellow with jet black skin and 2 downturned horns off of his forehead. He is very broad at the shoulders giving him a look of have done quite some time in hard labor. With his thumbs in his belt, he seems to be taking a posture of pondering. "Well, name's Ulfgar, muh friends call me Ulfy. Um from the the smithy jus' down duh street. If'n it needs hammerin', be it fixing or destroyin', ah kin do it. Jus' don't get on muh bad side an' we'll be ahight."

Andrew Markham
2015-01-11, 10:20 AM
"Well, I'm pleased to meet you all," Hanar says politely. "Sticks, Miss Lyna, Master Ulfgar...and what was your name, Mister bounty hunter?"

Aven
2015-01-11, 11:46 AM
The door creaks open and a very interesting looking native walks through. She is very small stature, barely passing 5 feet with smooth bark brown skin. She has the look of a willow tree, very thin with long green vine hair that sweeps down her back, held back from her face by a simple blue headband. In her right hand her long slinder fingers hold a very sturdy quarterstaff, her left fingers brushing through the beautiful sleek black fur of the panther padding next to her. Her eyes are the startling green of trees in the height of spring, but they seem a tad nervous, as though she is not quite used to being in this kind of surrounding. Her voice is soft “Um hi? I’m Aven…I was asked to help a group? I was asked to be a guide.” Her eyes flit to the Sheriff, “Is this them?”

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-11, 12:58 PM
Swizzlesticks looks over everyone as they speak and they come in. He has a look of recognition to Doc, But he seems to give a charitable hat tip to Lyna. He opens his mouth to speak, but someone comes into the room as he does, and he stops. His eyes go over the new guide. Interest seems to be the adjective to describe his demeanor.

He walks toward the guide, his little boots making much more noise then would be expected for someone the size of a child. He holds out his hand for a greeting.

"I'm Swizzlestick, Aven, Ill be your Scientist"

Heeroshin
2015-01-11, 02:12 PM
Looks at Hanar "Myr."

palupton
2015-01-11, 04:37 PM
Lyna's eyes jump to the door as the newcomer appears along with her panther companion, and as Aven introduces herself in a quiet voice, Lyna's eyes scan over her. Her gaze pauses briefly on the hand moving across the animal's fur before they move to Swizzlestick's outstretched hand in greeting and then pass over him in curiosity, an eyebrow raised in surprise. Her expression quickly changes from curious to thoughtful as she continues to watch from her spot on the wall, the world outside the window seemingly forgotten. She takes a moment to really assess everyone standing in the room before she looks at Sheriff Newhall in anticipation, but she chooses to remain silent for now.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-11, 05:56 PM
Hanar takes a relaxed pose in his chair. "Yes...Aven, was it?...The sheriff was just explaining to us that we must find new resources for our little town of Deadwood. I am Hanar, arcane researcher and town doctor." He nods his head respectfully.

Aven
2015-01-11, 06:48 PM
When Swizzlestick approaches, the ears of the panther seem to twitch backwards, however in that moment Aven taps a finger on the panther's shoulder but doesn't say anything. At his friendly greeting her face breaks out in a happy smile, her green eyes shining. She does seem a bit confused when he offers her his hand and copies his hand extension exactly...she does not seem very familiar with handshakes.

I am very glad to meet you all, and I hope I am able to help you out. Oh and my companion's name is Addi. She nods to her panther

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-11, 08:38 PM
Sheriff Newhall shifts with a bit of a start as the large cat enters his small office. He quickly calms however seeing it in such good behavior.

"Well good, now that we're all gettin' acquainted, there's a few things I'd ask of ya. You know, just to see how well you work together. I wouldn't want to send you off into the wild unknown I'll equipped.

First off, McCoy has lost a few head to some kind of predators. It's probably just Wolves, or Coyotes, but we're not certain. Why don't y'all have a look around and see if you can't put a stop to it. Then come on back here and we'll discuss some other matters."

He stands, walks to the door and props it open for all to exit.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-11, 08:55 PM
Hanar gets up, nods to the sheriff, and walks out the door. He waits for the group to gather in the street.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-11, 11:15 PM
Swizzlesticks follows Doc out to the street, pulling his wings in a little so they dont hit the door. He begins thinking about the local area and creatures in the area.

[roll0] Knowledge Nature
[roll1] Knowledge Local

He looks to Doc with a frown on his face.

"Who brings wolves and Coyotes with them to a new planet? That just seems dumb from an outsider perspective. But its well within the range of possibility that there is a native life form involved. "

Andrew Markham
2015-01-12, 10:22 AM
Hanar looks solemn as he replies, "We were trying to preserve as much of our original planet as we could. Who knows, even now, what survived there." Hanar gazes into the sky as he says, "I suppose they figured the wolves and coyotes deserved a chance to survive too, Sticks." He looks back down and says, "Let us reserve judgment until we have caught the trail. Who amongst us is skilled in such things?" Hanar looks to the group at large for an answer. "We should head over to McCoy's property and go from there."

Aven
2015-01-12, 11:09 AM
Aven nudges Addie the panther a little to get her moving and they both step outside. Almost immediately Aven looks more comfortable under the open sky as opposed to being under a roof. As she steps into the sunlight a small little bloom of a flower tucked into her hair opens its petals.

I do not know where this McCoy's property is, but I should be able to help with these wayward animals.

Ulfy
2015-01-12, 12:42 PM
"Well, if we are headin' straight out, I have tuh go git a few things. Gimme 5 minutes." Ulfgar heads off toward his shop and just a few minutes later you see him riding back on an enormous mammoth. Also, lashed within hands reach of him is a large black axe. "Ok. Les' roll"

palupton
2015-01-12, 01:29 PM
Lyna pushes off the wall in the small office and lets her arms drop down to her sides as she walks out, looping her thumbs through d-rings attached to the bottom of her corset. She looks around at the others as she steps into the sun, briefly squinting at the change in light, before looking around at the surroundings to see if she spots anything out of the ordinary.

She turns and looks at Ulfgar with a raised eyebrow and poorly hidden smile as he rides back on his mammoth. Then she tries to stifle a chuckle as she looks at Hanar and speaks up.

"I'm decent at tracking and such, so I'll have a look around as we get close." she says with a nod. Then she looks at Ulfgar and smiles as she continues "Well, you certainly know how to make an entrance, don'tcha?"

[roll0] perception check
[roll1] survival check

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-12, 01:36 PM
As Ulfy returns Swizzlesticks seems to be taken aback looking as the massive mammoth. He blinks a little before shacking his head.

"Well, there goes any stealth we could have hoped for. Ol McCoys should be in that direction, If you all want to do your ground listening techniques in that direction"

He points in the direction of the Farm in question, He remembers visiting there to check out soil samples, looking for magnesium, Sulfur, and irradiated materials.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-12, 02:01 PM
Once everyone is ready to move out, you all proceed toward the ranch. Drawing near the northern fences Lyna notices that the cattle in this area are distressed and she can see movement in the high grasses. She quietly indicates the direction to Myr who climbs to the top of a nearby standstone and peers out through his rifle scope. Calling back down to you all he says "There's two of them, and these ain't no wolves. They look like big cats with wings, and.....messed up faces, almost human-like. They're about 400 ft out."

Andrew Markham
2015-01-12, 02:37 PM
When the huge mammoth appears, Hanar's jaw drops, then he bursts out laughing at Swizzlestick's wry comment on the subject.

Once at the ranch, Hanar hears Myr's description and thinks to himself, "What kind of creature could that be...?"

Knowledge Nature: [roll0]
Knowledge Arcane: [roll1]

"Sounds like a native creature that's been transformed. People call it an 'Androsphinx'. It flies and is strongly magical. There might be more, depending on whether these two are part of a group or have broken off to form their own group. They've probably started attacking here because the domesticated wildlife are easier prey than they can get in the wild. If we are going to engage them, we should be prepared to deal with magic. I would be fascinated to study one of them and determine the extent to which they have been transformed..." Hanar trails off and begins muttering to himself. He casts a spell on himself in preparation for possible combat.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-12, 03:49 PM
As Hanar casts, the cattle seem to spook. The Androsphix are moving your direction. (they are now 375' away)

[roll0] Aven and Addi
[roll1] Lyna
[roll2] Myr
[roll3] Ulfgar
[roll4] Swizzelstick
[roll5] Hanar
[roll6] male AS
[roll7] Fem AS

IO:
Swizzlestick
Myr
Ulfgar
Androsphinx Male
Aven and Addi
Lyna
Hanar
Androsphinx Female

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-12, 03:52 PM
Swizzlesticks cracks his neck and smiles, he pulls forth a vial.

"Guess its time for..... science!"

He downs the vial, his gulps unnecessarily loud as the fluid flows through him. His veins on his neck and hands turn black as some fluid concoction effects his body. His body seems to jerk and shake for a moment as his muscles seem to tone and tighten. He then looks up and jumps upward as his wings spread, taking him to the air. As he moves he draws an awkward looking pistol from his Bandoleer and begins looking toward the moving grass.

(Take Mutagen, +4 Dex, -2 Wisdom, +2 Natural Armor, Move 20ft Up. )

Heeroshin
2015-01-12, 06:42 PM
Myr undoes the flap on the largest pocket on his bandoleer and slides his hand into it. He withdrawals his rifle from the impossibly small pocket. "Give me a minute." He undoes the other large pocket flap with his other hand and withdraws his scope. He lays down and attaches the scope to his rifle. "Move on, i'll be fine here"

Ulfy
2015-01-12, 07:30 PM
Ulfgar grabs his axe and slowly slides off his mammoth preparing to move forward.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-12, 07:49 PM
The male androsphinx bursts out of the tall grass in a powerful charge. He chases after one of the smaller heifers and when he is within range, he lashes out with a huge paw full of razor sharp claws.

90' movement north, now 285' south of the party.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] possible dmg

The beast's claw slashes deeply into the cows neck spilling blood and stealing breath all at once. The heifer crumples to the ground, her neck makes an audible pop even at this distance as her rear end flies over her front and crashes to the ground in a cloud of dust. The cow lies there dead and the predator wastes no time digging in.

(Andro male scores a critical hit and deals a 60point fatal blow. He is suffering an AC penalty for one round.)

Aven
2015-01-12, 08:21 PM
Aven gathers herself up and climbs up on Addie. Letting the panther pad forward on soft paws, she holds her arms out slightly from her body, preparing for the worse, should it happen. She waves a willowy hand across her throat ((ooc casts speak with animal on herself)) and raises her voice to the androsphinx.

Male, why do you hunt such easy, insignificant pray? Why do you not seek out better in your own territory?

((ooc using both move actions to move closer to the animals))

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-12, 08:32 PM
"Who are you to challenge my kill? This is my meal, and you'll have none of it. Begone now, lest we see who's claws are sharpest."

The male Sphinx looks up, and growls at a menacing volume. Before tearing into the cow once more.

Aven
2015-01-12, 08:45 PM
[roll0]

Aven laughs

Beastie if I had wanted to steal your kill, I would have, and not spoken a word. I ask again, why kill in another's territory? Do you not have your own?

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-12, 08:50 PM
" This is my territory. I claim it as the alpha. Do you wish to challenge me?"

You hear Aven growling back at the sphinx.

Aven
2015-01-12, 09:05 PM
[roll0]

Aven pauses, then growls and snarls even louder
There is already an Alpha of this territory. Not you. To challenge me, is to challenge my pack. Run along back to your own territory.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-12, 09:05 PM
"How's the conversation going?" Hanar calls to Aven.

palupton
2015-01-12, 09:39 PM
Lyna follows after Aven and Addie with a grace that seems to indicate one who is used to being silent on their feet. As she moves, she pulls a hidden kukri from somewhere under the folds of her skirt, and draws the bastard sword hanging at her side, readying herself for a fight she fully expects to get ugly and fast. She glances back for a second at Hanar as he calls out to Aven, then turns her attention back to the androsphiynx in case one of them decide to attack.

((OOC, both moves used for the forward motion closer.))

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-12, 10:45 PM
With Aven's last comment the hackles on the male sphinx rise.
[roll0]
Lyna moves 60ft in and is now standing 20ft behind Aven.

Hanar is next.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-12, 11:48 PM
Hanar casts a spell on himself (Stoneskin), then uses his arcane reservoir to open a small rift in space and steps through. He appears standing next to Aven. "So...this negotiation doesn't look like it's going very well."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-13, 09:12 AM
With the growing threat to her mate's kill, the female Androsphinx lets out a mighty roar before taking to the air. The cattle begin stampeding to the west. Pods of quail and other birds take to the sky and fly off in various directions. A snake passes over Hanar's boots and continues north in a state of panic. A raven flies north. A large boulder about fifty feet behind her, crumbles into smaller stones and falls apart. (Everyone make a Will save including the animals.) She flies 75' towards her mate gaining 20' in altitude.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-13, 09:15 AM
Once everyone has made a DC19 Will save Round two will begin with Sticks.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/shadowwalker19/mapDW1.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/shadowwalker19/media/mapDW1.jpg.html)

IO:
Swizzlestick
Myr
Ulfgar
Male AS
Aven & Alli
Lyna
Hanar
Fem AS

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-13, 09:30 AM
Upon hearing the roar Swizzle sticks seems to shake with the sound of the roar... the unknown.... hed never heard anything like that.... and it shook him... to the core. Dropping his Pistol He his wings stretched to their max as he turned in the opposite direction and flew 100 Away and 20 foot up

Heeroshin
2015-01-13, 02:32 PM
Lining his scope up with the creature, Myr got a magnified view of the creatures face as it's roar filled the air. Unable to shake the feeling of impending dread filling his mind, Myr jumped straight up and moves 30 ft away from the creature.

(Two move actions taken: one to get up from prone, the other to move at 30ft base land speed due to medium load)

Ulfy
2015-01-13, 03:42 PM
A strange sight as it is, the big man drops his axe and takes off in the opposite direction.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-13, 04:57 PM
Ulfgar's Mammoth rears in terror and bolts south. (80')

Where is your pack now, little one? I've told you, this is my territory now. You should move along and let us be.

As the male Sphinx growls and roars a shimmering field appears around him. He flares his wings to appear larger and more threatening.

Addi stirs and turns to run, Aven quickly dismounts and lands facing the androsphinx pair. A stern look crosses her bright green eyes. Addi continues to retreat northward (80')

palupton
2015-01-13, 06:52 PM
As the blood curdling roar ripped through the air, every hair on Lyna's body stood on end. Momentarily paralyzed with fear, she took a deep and shaky breath to try and regain her composure, but all she accomplished was giving her body the push it needed to turn tail and run. She couldn't stop her hands from shaking, no matter how much she tightened her hands on the grips of her drawn weapons to steady them, and they fell to the ground as she tried to get as far away from the pair of androsphinx as she possibly could. She looked around at her new found companions to see how they faired, if they were just as afraid as she was. She was mildly surprised to see Aven and Hanar still so close to the beasts.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-13, 08:33 PM
Hanar listens to the sounds of people fleeing behind them, and glances over at Aven, now dismounted. "The closer one just enhanced his melee defenses with a spell. I'll take the one up in the air. You deal with the one you were talking to."

Hanar uses his dimensional slide (move action) to shift 130 feet straight forward, appearing about halfway between Aven and the two sphinxes. He then utters a quickened spell to enhance his aim (Quickened True Strike, swift action). He then pulls from his arcane energies to make his next spell more potent (+2 DC), and shoots a ray at the sphinx in the air.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
(Must make a DC 26 Fort save for reduced damage)
Damage if fails save: [roll1]
Damage if saves: [roll2]
If HP reduced to 0, creature is entirely disintegrated.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-13, 09:01 PM
A huge beam of energy surges through the female sphinx. She barrels in the air from the impact, but then she corrects, wounded and furious she swoops down upon Hanar.
We've given you chance to leave, and you attack. Now you will die.

Charge to Hanar 110' flight.
[roll0]to hit
[roll1]dmg

Her wounds seem to be distressing her, causing her to swing wide, nearly striking herself.
She then continues to glide on another 50 ft north.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-13, 09:14 PM
Swizzlesticks Continues to grasp about the air before him. He pulls forward as fast as his wing allowed him, to escape from the great beasts surely that were chasing him. (round 2 of running. 100 feet away, 20 ft up.)

Heeroshin
2015-01-13, 09:28 PM
Myr breaks out in a dead sprint, one hand clutching his hat tight to his head. His fingernails digging into the leather as he tries to cover the fear in his mind with his hat. He sprints 90 ft away with little sign of stopping.

(Full round action of sprinting with a medium load.)

Ulfy
2015-01-13, 09:37 PM
The sound of thrashing and ripping plant life continue in the direction Ulfgar took off in.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-13, 09:51 PM
Ulfgar has encountered a Br'er thicket. This is difficult terrain and takes twice the move speed to move through. You may not run through it. (Ulfgar only moves 30' this turn.)
The mammoth continues south (80')

The male Sphinx, clearly angered, belts out a loud, but not magical roar as he charges toward Hanar.
How dare you attack my mate, this will be your undoing foul creatures.

Charge 85' to Hanar.
Claw swipe [roll0]
[roll1]DMG.

He drags his claw across Hanar's form and comes back with a paw full of sparkley dust akin to mica sand. He looks slightly baffled for a brief second.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/shadowwalker19/mapDW2.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/shadowwalker19/media/mapDW2.jpg.html)
Swizzlestick 180ft off map
Myr 105ft off map
Ulfgar 140ft off map
Lyna 50ft off map

Aven
2015-01-14, 11:08 AM
That's enough Aven's voice sounds a little sharper than it has before.

She brings her left arm up to her mouth, and there on her wrist is tied some leather cord; a bead dangling from it. She whispers something to the bead only ((ooc activate Karma bead)), then raising both hands up she focuses very intently upon the Male. She moves her hands through the air, as if she were shaping something invisible, at the end making an extremely violent ripping gesture.

((Hungry earth spell))

[roll0]

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-14, 11:21 AM
The ground beneath the male sphinx begins to creak and crack, it crumbles to loose sand and begins to spread out 20 feet in every direction. Both the Sphinx and Hanar begin to sink into the loose sand. (Both creatures now have the grappled condition.)

Lyna is up.

Meanwhile Addi continues to charge north (80')

palupton
2015-01-14, 12:06 PM
As she continues moving onward and away from the horrors of the androsphinx, Lyna gathers part of her skirt in her hands to help expedite her escape. She runs blind, following only her instinct along the way as adrenaline surges through her, with no signs of slowing down in sight.

(120' away)

Andrew Markham
2015-01-14, 02:58 PM
Hanar's pure white eyes turn furious. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?" he shouts in anger, and begins struggling to escape from the quicksand. He snaps his fingers, trying to get off a quick spell before he drowns in sand, but having little hope it will succeed.

CMB, DC 20:[roll0]
Concentration check to cast, DC 38: [roll1]

Aven
2015-01-14, 03:13 PM
Aven looks please with herself as the ground starts to gobble up the Male...that slowly turns to slight confusion to dawning comprehension as the ground starts to eat up Hanar too.

OH! Oh no! That wasn't supposed...oh no

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-14, 03:41 PM
Watching the magic energies move forth from Aven the female androsphinx decided not to turn back to Hanar but rather to challenge the source of her mate's predicament. She charges forward, raking her claws as she passes.
Fly charge, 55'
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] DMG.
Continues on 60' before stopping.

Her claw scrapes across the thick bark like skin of the small druid, but cannot pierce it.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-14, 03:48 PM
Somewhere in the distance, in the back of his mind, he can almost hear the screams of battle, but the ringing of the roar of the sphinx spurs his muscles as the tendons of his wings pulls even harder just to flee the area. (3rd round of fleeing, 100 ft away, 20 feet up.)

Heeroshin
2015-01-14, 04:04 PM
Myr continues running on, making great distance between him and his rifle and the vision he saw in it's scope.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-14, 04:06 PM
Myr begins running across a bed of loose gravel. (Dc10 acrobatics check or fall prone. Success = difficult terrain.)

Heeroshin
2015-01-14, 04:09 PM
Myr's dusty boots hit the loose gravel.

Acrobatics (1d20+2)[12] (rolls from dice forum, GM allowed paste)

The fear still strong in his mind that the gravel is no concern to him as he continues another 45 ft away

Ulfy
2015-01-15, 09:55 AM
The sound of thrashing and grunts of frustration/urgency continue as Ulfgar can still be heard running through brush.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-15, 10:27 AM
The Male Androsphinx tries to tear himself loose from the ground, flapping his wings in an effort to escape.

[roll0] DC 20

He then flies 80' north toward Aven.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-15, 10:54 AM
Hanar gapes at the ease with which the androsphinx escapes from the perilous quicksand. "Well you've lost him now! Turn off the spell! Do something! I can help you fight them off!" His voice is quickly rising to panic as he sinks into the sand.

Aven
2015-01-15, 11:50 AM
Aven frets for a moment before sinking to the ground. Placing both her hands upon the earth she making a smoothing out motion.

((ooc casts Dispel magic, greater))

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-15, 12:03 PM
The earth releases its grasp on Hanar and returns to its original firmness.
Addi continues further north.
Lyna is up.

palupton
2015-01-15, 01:42 PM
As Lyna continues on her path, her muscles tired and weary and her chest heaving, she has to slow down to try to catch her breath. She stops entirely and sinks to her knees for a moment before fear and adrenaline spur her onward further, sure that she won't be safe if she stops now. The sounds of battle are faint behind her now that she's so far away, and growing ever more faint every second.

(30' away)

Andrew Markham
2015-01-15, 02:47 PM
Hanar flexes his muscles, glad to be freed from the greedy earth. He is ready to leap back into the fight. He moves forward 30 feet, so that he is 50 feet from the male threatening Aven. Hanar applies his knowledge of metamixing to craft a fireball of maximum power (casting Maximixed Fireball), and adds more arcane power to make it more potent (+2 DC). He then chucks it at the heavily damaged female androsphinx far in the distance and detonates it (targeting the female androsphinx directly)!

(Maximized Fireball deals 60 damage; DC 23 Reflex save for half)

He then uses metamixing once again to quickly cast a spell (Quickened Admonishing Ray) at the male. As he shoots three rays at the male androsphinx, he shouts at Aven, "I am attempting to take this one alive! If we are very lucky, we may be able to deal with this without loss of life."

Ray 1 Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Nonlethal Damage: [roll1]

Ray 2 Ranged Touch Attack: [roll2]
Nonlethal Damage: [roll3]

Ray 3 Ranged Touch Attack: [roll4]
Nonlethal Damage: [roll5]

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-15, 05:05 PM
The Female sphinx barrel rolls as the flames draw near, avoiding the brunt of the blast. Her fur is singed and she leaves a trail of smoke as she turns wide, returning toward Aven. She lands just north of the Druid and swipes at her with her claws.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Once again it seems she is thwarted my the druid's thick bark.

The male is hit with all three blasts of concussive force but seems to shake it off as if only minorly effected.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-15, 05:57 PM
Reaching upward with all his might Swizzlesticks does a climb 120 feet upward. Wanting to put as much distance between him and sphinxs.

(300 feet away, 200 feet up. )

Heeroshin
2015-01-15, 07:23 PM
Myr finally stops, heavily breathing from his exhausting run. His mind clears and he's able to think. He turns around and starts his slower trek back across the gravel towards his gun.

Acrobatics (1d20+2)[4]

Drained, Myr falls against the gravel and takes his time to get back up again.

Ulfy
2015-01-15, 07:42 PM
Still crashing and thrashing away, you hear "Bear?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-15, 08:09 PM
The male lands just south of Aven, now flanking with his mate. He swipes at her with his powerful claw.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] dmg

Aven
2015-01-15, 09:31 PM
Even though the claws of the beasts don't seem to be doing any harm against Aven's tough skin, she retreats 15 feet back, just to get out of claw range. She then raises her right arm and violently gestures towards both beasts.

((ooc casting burst of nettles))

[roll0]

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-15, 09:58 PM
As Aven steps away both Sphinx take an opportune swipe at her.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

They're shared precision catches Aven off guard as claws from both directions pierce her bark and pain her flesh.

Just then a burst of acidic nettles explodes from the spot Aven was in wounding both sphinx. The female teeters at the wounds and appears to be on the very edge of her own weakness.

palupton
2015-01-16, 06:52 AM
Lyna pushes onward slowly, exhausted and afraid. Just a bit further. Then I should be safe, she tells herself, not really believing it in her panic.

(30' away)

Andrew Markham
2015-01-16, 09:32 AM
Seeing the weakened state of the female sphinx, Hanar changes his plans. Instead of moving, he channels spell energy into his arcane reserves (sacrifice 5th level spell slot, +5 Arcane Reservoir). He metamixes a quick Magic Missile spell (casting Quickened Magic Missile) that will unerringly strike the dying sphinx. Hanar hopes to push her to near death.

5 Magic Missiles
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

He then shoots rays of fire at the male (Maximized Scorching Ray).

Ray 1: [roll5], deals 24 damage
Ray 2: [roll6], deals 24 damage
Ray 3: [roll7], deals 24 damage

He says to the male, "Your mate is dying. We are stronger than you. Leave this place and seek other hunting grounds, and I will heal her."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-16, 10:23 AM
With Hanar's barrage, both sphinx fall to the ground. The female breathes her last breath, while the male struggles to hold on to life as he fades into unconsciousness.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-16, 10:26 AM
Swizzlesticks, so far away, his head clears as the fear in his chest subsides. He frowns. He begins to glide back toward the group.

Fly back 120 feet.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-16, 10:31 AM
Swizzlestick is now 160' off map and 200' in the air (please roll con check)

Myr is up.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-16, 10:53 AM
Hanar curses at himself. He urgently steps through a rift and appears 60 feet away at the female sphinx's side. He then touches her and expends most of his remaining arcane energy to attempt to bring her back from the brink of death. (Spending 5 points, casting Breath of Life)

Heals [roll0]

He looks up at Aven and says, "Talk to her. They're defeated. They should leave." He then goes to examine the male.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-16, 11:20 AM
Swizzlesticks flies down and eventually swoops up his dropped pistol before landing between the sphinx.

"Save them if we can! I would like to run some experiments and possibly take samples."

He looks to thier druid and to Doc

"Verdict?"

Aven
2015-01-16, 11:32 AM
Aven recovers quickly from the mates joined attack and moves a close to them as quickly as she can
((ooc casts speak with animal))
She waves a hand over her throat again and waits for the revive spell to be activate and for both of them to have their eyes open.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-16, 11:34 AM
"I believe they will live. I've initiated data collection, Sticks. We'll learn what we can before we send them on their way...if they can be convinced to save themselves."

Hanar casts a spell on himself (Deathwatch) and examines the status of the male sphinx. During the examination, he uses his arcane sight to examine the flows of magic through the creature's body, hoping to later correlate them to parts of the creature's external anatomy. He pulls out a book and starts scribbling notes on what he sees.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-16, 12:47 PM
As the female gasps back to life she looks around and begins dragging herself to her wounded mate. She rests her paw on his (cast CSW [roll0]) as she watches him regain consciousness her lip begins to snarl looking around at you all.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-16, 02:13 PM
Hanar looks on in fascination as the female sphinx cures the other one, noting where the magical energies flow through her. He steps back 10 feet and readies an action to cast a spell should they attack. Hanar glances up from his work at Aven, waiting for her to speak.

Aven
2015-01-16, 03:06 PM
Aven crouches down till she is eye level with the female and speaks softly with no menace in her voice

We have now imposed our dominance upon this territory. We did not want to battle to begin with, but even though we did, we will not allow you and your male to die. It would not be right. You are both strong creatures, very imposing. I know you will not have trouble finding your own territory that you can rule.

Ulfy
2015-01-19, 09:14 AM
Ulfgar comes back grabs his axe and gives a look of exasperation as he goes tromping off in search of his Mammoth.

palupton
2015-01-19, 12:16 PM
Lyna shakes her head as it finally clears of fear, and she stops moving to look around. Once she has her bearings, she heads back towards the group, slightly disappointed to have been so full of panic. It takes her a few minutes to walk back, and she staggers as she gets close. She assesses the scene in front of her with slight confusion, as some of the others gather so close to the pair of downed androsphinx. She heads straight for her weapons, picks them up, and slides them both easily into their sheaths. The kukri disappears into the folds of her skirt once again, as if it were never there, and her bastard sword hangs at her side.

After a moment of looking on at the scene in front of her, she settles down in the grass nearby, close enough to still hear everything being said, but far enough away that she'd have a little extra time to react if something went wrong.

"Looks like I missed most of the action. Has anyone figured out why they were in the area to begin with? Or if there's more lurking nearby?" she asks out of curiosity.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-19, 12:49 PM
Not removing his eyes from the creatures, he answers, "They're hunters. They were just following the prey, and found our domesticated cattle by far the easiest to hunt."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-19, 04:19 PM
Shaking off the pain from his many wounds, the male stands, once again.
"We....are....defeated. Your alpha is strong. We will leave your territory."

He begins to lick his wounds. (CSW [roll0])

Ulfgar finds his mammoth 240' south of the group grazing amid the cattle. They return just as Addi makes her way back to Aven. She approaches slowly, head down and tail between her legs. She lies down at Aven's feet, silently, and without looking up at her.

Ulfy
2015-01-19, 04:46 PM
Ulfgar rides back atop his Mammoth and raises an eyebrow at the scene before him.

"So, why aren't we or them dead?"

Aven
2015-01-19, 05:00 PM
Aven throws her arms around Addie and nuzzles her face into the panther's neck fur for a moment before addressing Ulfgar

They have recognized our superior strength and will be leaving to find new territory. There is no need to kill them

Heeroshin
2015-01-19, 09:51 PM
Myr appears out of the distance and walks up to his gun. He reaches down and picks it up. After a moment of thought, he holsters it in his arms and joins the party.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-19, 11:05 PM
"Fascinating," Hanar mutters to himself. He shuts his little book and says, "Well, I believe I have made all the observations I require. Sticks, are you done yet? These creatures should leave the area, and then we should go report our success."

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-19, 11:10 PM
Swizzlesticks looks at the creatures. He thinks over possible actions and sighs.

"Yea. Anything Id want from them, it would be beneficial for them to be deceased while I do it. So they are free to go. As long as they understand that if they return, their removal will be far more lethal next time. "

He moves as he assures that everything of his is put away before heading back toward town with Doc.

Ulfy
2015-01-20, 01:00 AM
Ulfgar flexes.

"Oh yes, superioradly stronger!"

He then gives an obviously joking smile. He pats his Mammoth and brings it about to head back home.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-20, 08:40 AM
As they begin leaving, Hanar addresses the group at large. "Ladies and gentlemen, I thank you all for your contribution to our success. After reporting our success to the good sheriff, I should like to thank you all by buying a round of drinks, or perhaps a good meal. Would everyone be amicable to that?....err, I mean," Hanar clears his throat and speaks more uncertainly, "How..would y'all...like me to buy..y'all...some drinks? My apologies, I don't speak with others often."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-20, 08:44 AM
As Hanar finishes his note taking and you all prepare to leave, Aven dismisses the beaten Sphinx and they take to the air. They fly south until they are nothing more than specks on the horizon. Some of the cattle have began to wander back and they resume grazing in the tall grasses.

When you get back to town the sky is a swirl of purples and pinks and the sun is nearing it's western perch.

palupton
2015-01-20, 12:30 PM
After the sphinx leave and everyone starts to head back towards town, Lyna pushes herself to her feet and follows after them. As she listens to the group at large, she can't help but start to crack a smile. What a group we make, she thinks to herself.

When Hanar stumbles over an uncertain speech pattern, she gets up beside him and throws a friendly arm over his shoulders. "You talk however you want, Love. We'll catch on, or we'll look atcha like you're nuts." she says with a warm expression; a smile on her lips, and light in her eyes. She lets her arm drop from his shoulders in an effort to keep him from being too uncomfortable, but keeps pace beside him as they walk.

"I doubt many of us would turn down drinks or food, if you're sure you want to take on that expense. I know I could sure use it!"

Ulfy
2015-01-20, 03:24 PM
Ulfgar starts humming a work cadence on the ride back.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-20, 04:59 PM
As the six of you wander down the main street through town you begin to hear piano music and boisterous chatter from within the saloon. With the evening sun fadeing, it seems inviting.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-20, 07:36 PM
Swizzlesticks looks to Doc as the saloon musica can be heard.

"You buyin? I think youll live to regret that offer"

He laugh's continuing to head toward the sheriffs office.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-21, 08:46 AM
"I am indeed buying, except I'm not paying for the mammoth," Hanar says with a chuckle. He resists the allure of the saloon to follow Sticks to the sheriff.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-21, 02:53 PM
The group falls in line behind Sticks and Hanar and you make your way to the Sheriff's office. Sheriff Newhall is just closing the door as you walk up behind him.

"Back so soon?" He says, sounding quite surprised as he turns around to see you. "I suppose you'll be wanting the reward money then?"

Andrew Markham
2015-01-21, 04:32 PM
Hanar blinks in surprise. "I don't recall you mentioning a reward when you gave us this assignment. I assumed it was one more thing we were doing for the town's survival. However, having now mentioned it, I shall gladly accept this reward, as I used a large portion of my arcane power to procure said results." He looks around at the others. "I...suppose everyone else should also be entitled to a share due to their participation, as it gave me greater impetus to bring the full might of my powers to bear."

Aven
2015-01-22, 02:53 PM
Aven pokes her head into the room looking fairly out of sorts. It is pretty obvious that she doesn't know what to do with herself in this very industrialized town.

Heeroshin
2015-01-22, 03:17 PM
Myr waves his hand and shakes his head "The main objective wasn't achieved, pest control is a necessary evil. No reward required here."

palupton
2015-01-22, 11:28 PM
Lyna walks into the office at the back of the group, arms folded over her chest, and eyes looking longingly back towards the saloon. She looks at the sheriff with a raised eyebrow as he mentions a reward. "Reward? I don't recall any mentions of a reward. Granted, times are tough, so I wouldn't turn one down either." she says as she looks over the group.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-23, 11:18 AM
Sheriff Newhall is slightly taken aback when Myr speaks up. "Failure? You weren't able to drive off the predators? What do you need in order to complete the task?" he then pans back and forth between Hanar and Lyna. "and why are you willing to take McCoy's money when your bounty hunter says that you couldn't drive off these wolves.?"

Heeroshin
2015-01-23, 11:55 AM
Myr abruptly waves his hands "Not my intention to mislead. My mind is on finding the new location. Taking care of these pests does not warrant a reward on my part, That objective was complete. Sorry for the confusion."

Andrew Markham
2015-01-23, 12:30 PM
"We engaged the creatures, two Androsphinx by name, and drove them off. We chose not to kill them, although we had that option. This is what Myr means. I'm quite certain they now understand that McCoy's land is protected by someone who's stronger than they are, and can kill them if they should return. Our native guide was quite useful in communicating this to them."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-23, 01:06 PM
"I see. Well if that's the case, McCoy should be happy with that."
He walks back into his office and unlocks a drawer in his desk. He draws out a box and unlocks it as well. Opening the box, he removes a canvas bag and sets it down on his desk in front of you.
"There you go. That's $6500. Not too bad for a day's work. Get some rest and be back here in the morning, there's one more thing I need to ask of you before you head out on your own."

Andrew Markham
2015-01-23, 01:20 PM
Hanar opens the bag and begins making stacks of money. In short order, he has 5 even stacks of bills. "Since our bounty hunter friend is waving his pay, that leaves $1300 for myself, Sticks, Miss Lyna, our native guide Aven, and Master Ulfgar. Unless anyone else is forfeiting their pay...?"

Hanar picks up his stack of money and puts it away. "With that being done, I believe the saloon is calling to us!"

Ulfy
2015-01-24, 05:08 AM
Ulfgar collects his share.

"I'm gonna just check in on the shop and hit the hay. Not much of a drinker. See y'all in the mornin'."

He collects the reigns of the Mammoth and starts heading towards his Smithy.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-25, 02:26 PM
Seeing Aven's hesitation, he picks up one of the stacks of money and takes it out to her. He holds it out for her to take it and says, "I don't know if your people have something similar, but we call this money. It can be used to barter for goods and services. It's your reward for helping us." Hanar shrugs somewhat self-consciously and says, "Don't mean to be condescending- just don't know your folk are like."

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-25, 05:06 PM
Swizzlesticks takes his money and looks to those remaining.

"I look forward to drunken adventures on Doc's Dime. Please, join us, well bond and stuff."

He begins to head toward the saloon but stops with Doc.

"Whats the Hitch?"

Aven
2015-01-25, 08:45 PM
Aven looks at Hanar with her large green eyes as he explains it to her. After he finishes she smiles widely at him and says in her soft voice I am not offended at all. I have lived most of my life in solitude up to this point, so I fear I don't always understand your ways. I like the explaining

Andrew Markham
2015-01-25, 09:23 PM
Hanar grins widely. "Well then, allow us to continue the explanations by showing you the saloon." He gestures in the direction Sticks is waiting impatiently. "It's a place where people get together to eat, drink, play games with cards, and spend their money. I'll warn you, it'll probably be loud if it's busy, and your cat will surprise them, but they'll just have to get over it." Hanar heads off to the saloon with Sticks, giving Aven time to follow.

palupton
2015-01-25, 10:29 PM
Lyna walks up to the desk and picks up her stack of coin before depositing it in a pouch attached to the bottom of her corset, a pouch that would have missed notice if she wasn't messing with it. She smiles and tips her head at the sheriff before turning and walking out of the office after the others, her red curls bouncing softly with every step.

As the group walked toward the saloon, she stood a little taller, held her head a little higher, and let her eyes rake across the windows of the upper floor. Nothing seemed amiss, and her eyes seemed to get a bit brighter the closer they got to the building.

They were going there to spend money, and she would likely be making it. It was near that time for business to be booming upstairs, after all, and the sounds of laughter and music pouring out of the building were inviting and warm.

"There shouldn't be too much of a fuss; most people come for the entertainment and the booze, so they generally don't care much for what else goes on. Unless there's a fight. Fights always draw attention." she says with a small chuckle from just behind the others.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-25, 11:03 PM
Having all business with the sheriff completed, you all make your way to the Saloon , Lyna stays a few steps behind as she counts the lights from the second story windows. Sheriff Newhall locks up and disappears into the shadows of an ally running next to his office.

Swizzlestick thrusts open the Saloon's swinging doors, an entrance fit for a man three to four times his size. Hanar and Myr entered just behind him, each catching a door so as to prevent them from swinging back outward. Aven and Addi enter, apprehensively, with the cat having to squeeze a bit to fit through the door. A young lady in a frilled yellow dress with matching layered petticoat quickly walks up to address you. "Oh, no dear, we can't be having no critters in the parlor. The misses would have a fit, and just think of the mess if it were to get wild. Oh that certainly would not do. There are hitchin' posts out front an' a stable in the back. I'm sure She? would be fine in either case." she has a look of obvious fear on her face standing so near this large cat. "oh my my" she mutters as she starts to step away. Simultaneously, six large and rather burly looking men scatter from a nearby table leaving a deck of cards and a half pitcher of beer sitting in the center. They stammer toward the back and out of a rear door.

Lyna is still a few steps outside.

Meanwhile Ulfgar finds the smithy still hot and his apprentice Brahn still working by lantern light.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-25, 11:36 PM
Swizzlesticks Swivels back on the lady in the yellow dress.

"Oh but wouldnt the missus be so happy if such a well behaved animal sat quietly in a corner eating a large amount of "paid for" food from the kitchen on the Tab of Doc here? I think the missus would love having you line her coffers."

He gives her a smile before swivelling back again before heading to the Bar. He literally climbs up the chair before standing on the stool, waiting until the bar tender comes back.

"Keep! Doc here says he is paying for drinks so I have some special orders for our droughts tonight, iffin u want the money still right?"

Andrew Markham
2015-01-26, 09:52 AM
Hanar comments, "Well, it appears we have scared away a large part of their business for the evening. Pity, but who can blame them?" Hanar looks to Aven and says, "It IS true that it is considered rude to bring large animals into places like this. The two of you seem close though, and I wasn't going to tell you she had to stay behind."

While Aven is deciding what to do, Hanar approaches whoever is taking money. He looks through his pockets and begins pulling out bills and coins. Eventually he makes a stack of both on the counter. "I'd like to pay for the five of us in advance please. Here's $3000." Hanar grimaces at Sticks. "HE may only use HALF of the tab- if he tries to spend any more than that, he can pay for it himself. The rest will cover myself, the two ladies, and our silent friend here." He gestures towards Aven, Miss Lyna, and Myr. "I hope it is not rude to ask that anything we don't spend be returned to us at the end of the evening. Thank you very much."

palupton
2015-01-26, 01:17 PM
Noises of people scattering and recognizable voices come floating out of the doors to Lyna's ears as she takes the last few steps up to the saloon. She pauses briefly, takes a deep breath, exhales as she pushes the doors open, and steps across the threshold to face the scene before her. She raises an eyebrow at Swizzlesticks' back as he walks to the bar and shakes her head slightly.

She turns her attention to the young woman in the yellow dress and takes a few steps towards her. "It'll be ok, Millie, dear; they're with me tonight. There's nothing to be afraid of." she says in a calming voice as she reaches out and rests a hand gently on Millie's cheek, then lets it fall to her shoulder for a moment where she gives the frightened girl a gentle squeeze. "We'll take my normal table. I'm sure there won't be any trouble, isn't that right, Aven?" she says in a voice that is soft and kind, as she let's her arm drop back to her side and turns her head to look at Aven and Addie, a reassuring smile on her face.

"Don't worry about the business. They'll be back sooner than you think, once they realize it's safe and they get an itch for more booze." she says with a smile as she folds her arms over her chest and looks between Aven and Hanar.

She then turns once more back to the young Millie. "Why don't you go grab a shot, relax for a few minutes, then get back to work once you're calmer, ok?" she says as she reaches one arm forward and gently grips Millie's chin in an almost motherly manner.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-26, 08:26 PM
The barkeep is a well-fed greying man in a striped shirt and suspenders under a stained apron. He has waxed moustaches and plump cheeks that blush when he grins. He stiffles a chuckle as Sticks climbs the chair and then places a freshly polished glass to the counter when the Gnome begins to order. When Hanar places $3000 on the bar to open the tab his jaw literally drops. After a brief moment he stutters out a few words of comprehension, along with a slightly shaken nod of his round head. He reaches under the bar and pulls out a whiskey bottle wrapped in dark oilcloth. Sweat beads on his brow as he contemplates opening it. "Oh Miss Lyna don't pay for drinks sir"

Swizzlestick remains at the bar for a moment while the rest of you settle into a table in the forward corner of the bar. From here you have views of the stairs, the second story landing, the bar and most of the parlor floor including a small stage with a piano set off to the left and a bit of open floor fit for dancing. Addi lies down along the wall with her rear in the corner.

Aven
2015-01-26, 11:22 PM
Aven seems rather taken aback by the crowd and the noise of the tavern. After a few almost breathless moments she gives herself a little shake.

Yes...of, of course! Addie is perfectly well behaved and she knows better than to frighten anyone on purpose. I promise it'll be like you don't even notice her after a while.
Aven reaches out and threads her long fingers through Addie's fur for a moment before going to take a seat

Andrew Markham
2015-01-27, 08:50 AM
Hanar asks for a single glass of whatever wine the saloon might have before sitting down at the table. He nods at Miss Lyna and says, "My thanks to you, Miss Lyna, for clearing that up. Now we can all socialize in comfort."

He looks to the group at large and says, "Now that we are settled, I thought perhaps we could spend some time getting to know each other a little better. If we are going to be working together on this project for the forseeable future, we should understand one another well enough to trust each other with our lives, for this is surely what shall come to pass. Perhaps we should feel free to ask each other questions, and give answers in return. Well, except for Sticks, who I'm sure is going to commit himself to spending as much money as possible."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-27, 05:08 PM
As Swizzlestick ponders over what to order the barkeeper sits down the whiskey bottle in his hands and grabs a half bottle of common red wine from behind him and pops the cork to pour Hanar a glass. While he pours the wine Sticks glimpses the label on the whiskey bottle and notices that it is written in a gnomish script that he hasn't seen since he left his home world.

It reads
Throatburn
Brown Whiskey
170 proof

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-27, 08:57 PM
Swizzlesticks sees the bottle as his eyes go wide. He laughs with glee and he picks up the bottle.

"Put this on his tab. All of it!"

He moves over to the table with everyone else.

"So what fabulous truths has my doctor been sharing with you?"

Ulfy
2015-01-27, 11:49 PM
Ulfgar enters the saloon backwards waving to someone outside.

"Goodnight, Brahn!"

As he turns back around, nearly bumping into someone moving about the place, he glances around for a good place to sit. Seeing the rest of the party, he grabs up an extra chair, spins it so the back is to the table, and sits facing the group.

"Sorry 'bout not joinin' ya right away. Had to check on the shop and stable Mayble. Ah'm sarvin'! What for grub t'night?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-28, 02:15 PM
When Swizzlestick heads back to the table with the bottle of gnomish whiskey, the bartender follows with a stack of small glasses and a bowl of ice chips. Upon hearing Ulfgar he asks "What can I get ya?"

Ulfy
2015-01-28, 08:33 PM
"Dinner and some Sassparilla?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-28, 09:20 PM
Something, or someone out of the window suddenly catches Myr's eye. He stands, tips his hat to the ladies and, without a word, steps out into the night and disappears into the shadows.

The bartender nods and steps away. He returns moments later with a bowl of chili, a wedge of cornbread and a tall sarsaparilla on ice. "Anything else folks?"

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-28, 09:37 PM
Swizzlesticks takes five glasses from the bartender, pops open the whiskey bottle and pours liquid into the five glasses. He then puts the remainder of the bottle in the center of the table.

"Alright, The rest is for the table."

He smiles a grin that broods trouble and knocks the first glass back without a care.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-28, 09:53 PM
As Myr leaves suddenly, Hanar looks to the table and says, "Well that was ominous. I wonder if he'll be returning." Hanar's face then brightens as Ulfgar's food arrives. "Oh cornbread, nice! I'd like a piece."

Hanar looks at the whiskey Sticks places at the center of the table. "I think I shall stick to my glass of wine. I find it best not to risk losing control and accidentally unleashing my magic." He takes a sip of his wine and grimaces. "Miss Lyna, might your establishment have...a somewhat better vintage?"

Ulfy
2015-01-28, 10:04 PM
As Ulfgar's food arrives, you would think he hadn't eaten in days, for as soon as it hits the table, he digs in ferociously. After a few seconds, he stops and notices the look on everyone's faces. Snatching up the Sassparilla, he takes a few gulps.

"Sorry. Not used to eatin' with city-like folk. Poundin' steel all day, then comin' home to go pretty much straight to bed, doesn't leave much time for eatin'.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-28, 10:31 PM
Swizzlesticks looks back to the bartender.

"next bartender..... a snack.....um.... do you have some sort of meat finger food? appetizer sort? spice? or sauces.... potatoes.... cheeses? "

He smiles as he slams another shot back, a devilish grin staying on his face.

Aven
2015-01-28, 10:39 PM
Aven picks up her glass and sniffs it experimentally. Tilting her head to one side she examines the contents for a moment before taking a sip. Her eyes immediently grow wide and she gasps for air as the burning hits her throat.

I'll um... wheeze wheeze ...just have water!

palupton
2015-01-28, 10:45 PM
Lyna looks at Hanar with a thoughtful expression. "There might be. Give me a moment." she says as she stands and makes her way to a door off to the side of the bar. She's gone for a couple of minutes before she emerges from the depths with a very dusty and dark stained bottle in one hand, and a short, round, clear glass bottle filled with an amber liquid in the other.

She pauses briefly to talk to the bartender, holding up the dusty bottle for him to see, and he nods before she smiles and walks back to the table.

"I know nothing about wine, but Walt seems to think this one shouldn't be too bad. I certainly won't ever drink it, if it's something you're interested in." she says as she offers him the bottle. The label appears to be yellowed-white with a golden embellished script written across it. Parts of the letters appear to be missing, perhaps worn off by being handled often.

The shorter bottle she sets in front of herself and stares at for a moment before apparently deciding it was worth it. She reaches forward and pulled the cork out of it, tilting it back in a very un-lady like manner over her mouth, skipping over the use of a glass. Then she replaces the cork and sets the bottle back down on the table as if nothing had happened. The label is missing off of the bottle, but the glass has the letters "PYRAT" standing out near the bottom rim of the bottle.

"Swizzlesticks, you seem awfully excited about that bottle of gnomish whiskey. Has it been a while since you've seen it?" she asks as she picks up a glass filled with the strange whiskey and smells it before setting the glass back down with an eyebrow raised, clearly uncertain about it.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-28, 10:52 PM
"We'll see what we can do"
The bartender says before teetering off behind the bar.

He returns with a tray of sausages, a wedge of cheese with a knife, a stack of dried bread slices,(like large krutons), and some sliced fruits. He also has a pitcher of water. (It has a tannish color and you can see tiny particulate matter in it.)

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-28, 11:01 PM
Swizzlesticks Wings shutter after the second Shot and he smiles as he licks his lips. He slips a slice of cheese on a peice of sausage and stuffs it into his mouth.

"Actually yea. Its been.... ages since ive seen anything of my people Its a nice reminder of home. "

He takes a third shot without even a difference to the smile on his face.

"how about you? you drink often?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-28, 11:12 PM
"I do apologize "
Walt says as he brings out a wedge of cornbread on a small plate for Hanar.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-28, 11:37 PM
Hanar smiles at Walt and thanks him. He then regards the dusty bottle, dusting it off slightly. Hanar peers at the bottle, rotating it to try and make out the text of it. Finally, feeling unsure about the unknown vintage, he incants a brief cantrip while holding the bottle. Hanar tilts his head to the side, and his pale white eyes seem to pierce the bottle, analyzing its contents.

After a moment, Hanar picks up the bottle and attempts to pull out the cork. His frail arms pull at the cork, but have next to no effect. He grabs the cork with his teeth and twists, but it barely twitches. Hanar puts the bottle back on the table and looks around the room, at neighboring tables, for something. Finally he mutters to himself, pulls a wand out of his robes, and taps the cork. The cork leaps out of the bottle and lands on the table, rolling slightly.

Smiling in satisfaction, Hanar points the open end of the bottle at his nose and sniffs slightly. "Ah, fruity," he announces, and pours himself a single glass of it. He swirls the red wine in his glass, sniffs it again, and takes a small sip.

palupton
2015-01-28, 11:45 PM
"Not often, no. It pays to stay clear in my line of work. You would be surprised at how often I end up in a fight over one of my girls, an I try to keep Walt and the others out of it if I can." she says with a slight chuckle as she watches Swizzlesticks wings shudder.

She reaches forward and takes a couple of slices of fruit, a piece of the dried bread, and cuts a sliver of the cheese off of the wedge to nibble on. She eyes her own bottle of whiskey out of the corner of her eye for a moment and debates drinking more of it. It had been a terrifying day after all, and she couldn't recall the last time she had felt like that.

It didn't take more than a moment before she had the fruit and some of the bread gone, and then she shrugged and picked up the bottle again. "But today has been a long day, and I think a few strong drinks are justified." she says as she uncorks it and pours the liquid fire straight into her mouth for a second time. This time when she sets the bottle down, she doesn't bother to put the cork back.

"How is that? Better?" she asks as she directs her attention to Hanar and the dusty bottle. She had to fight back the urge to laugh as she watched him fight the cork out.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-29, 02:12 PM
"Yes, a much better vintage, thank you." Hanar swishes the wand slightly before putting it away. He takes a bite of the cornbread and relishes the simple tastes. "I must say Miss Lyna, that despite being the most normal out of our current company, you are taking our strange appearances quite in stride. I often receive mistrust from citizens of this town when I visit, which is why I prefer to remain on the outskirts and mind my own business. I greatly appreciate your willing acceptance."

Hanar turns to Aven. "I wonder, Aven, if your situation is a similar one, as you mentioned you have lived mostly in solitude. If I may ask without being rude, was this voluntary? Are there others of your kind on this world?"

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-01-29, 03:17 PM
Swizzle Sticks continues to eat from the Sausage and Cheese, and when he starts to eat the crouton bread and hears Hanar statement he begins to choke a little before he takes another shot to wash it down. (fort save [roll0]

"You mean your not a regular person like the rest of these people, hanar?"

He wings shiver again as the drink burns his throat.

Aven
2015-01-29, 05:05 PM
Aven picks up some fruit and bread and nibbles for a moment listening to everyone talk. When her name is spoken she looks startled for half a moment before relaxing.

There are others of my race here, but we don't usually interact a lot. We are born from seedlings, so unlike most sentient races, we do not have a family or pack. I was born by myself and I haven't know much of life aside from that. I made friends with Addie when I was a sapling so I believe she can be counted as family.
Aven smiles lovingly towards her panther

Andrew Markham
2015-01-29, 06:18 PM
Hanar strokes his chin in thought as he muses, "I see...a race that comes from seedlings. Fascinating. Well, you seem content with your situation."

Hanar smiles at Swizzlesticks. "I haven't had the opportunity to perform surgery on myself, but so far as I know, I am still technically a human being. However, my outer appearance was transformed by my encounter with your...hmm...escorts, and their inappropriate atmosphere. Also I no longer feel quite as old as I used to, which is quite a blessing for one of my age. The outer differences are quite obvious...I'm puzzled by your obliviousness. Are you unable to discern the difference in pigments between our skin, or my lack of color in the eye?"

palupton
2015-01-29, 09:12 PM
Lyna seems slightly puzzled for a moment when Hanar asks about her acceptance. "You mean to tell me that you aren't like other people?! Oh my, what is this world coming to??" she says with a strange tone that doesn't suit her and an expression of mock disgust on her face that melts away almost as soon as it gets there. She smiles fully and warmly and for a brief moment, you can almost see her heart shining in her eyes.

"In all seriousness, ya'll haven't given me reason to distrust you. I fully believe that the way someone appears isn't a good reflection on the people they are. Horrible things can come in beautiful packages, and wonderful things can come in ugly ones. Besides that, fear, distrust, and hate, have no place in new relations, so I look past the surface and accept everyone until they give me reason not to. I'm happier for it, and people around me tend to be happier too, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that!" she says after a moment, looking around at each of them as she says it. Whether it's the alcohol, the environment, or just the subject in particular, her country accent seems more prominent than it was before.

Ulfy
2015-01-29, 10:50 PM
As the song changes to a very lively tune, Ulfgar stands up.

"That's my tune!"

He reaches his hand out to Lyna and bows.

"May I have this dance?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-29, 11:08 PM
As you are chatting and getting used to one another's company a lovely young lady (http://www.westernemporium.com/store/media/oldwest_ladies_14_full.jpg) in a red dress comes strutting down the stairs and walks up to your table. "Evenin' Madam. Who are your friends?" she tips her obviously masculine hat toward Lyna as if saying "look what I 'found'".

palupton
2015-01-30, 10:25 AM
Lyna looks from Ulfgar in his bow and offered hand to the woman who has addressed her, and she has a split second of visible conflict. She takes a deep breath, nods almost imperceptibly to herself, and looks at the woman. Lyna's eyes inspect the hat that she has tipped on her head, and then scan down the length of her before settling on the woman's face. One of her eyebrows raise in curiosity before she speaks.

"I'm sure no one would mind if you introduced yourself while I take Ulfgar up on his offer to dance." she says with a sly smile just before she stands and takes Ulfgar's hand. Her free hand moves to tap a finger on the side of her nose before it drops back to her side. It could have been a signal for something, but it was so small and quick that it could pass for nothing if it needed to.

She gives the woman a meaningful look as she starts to step away. "Behave yourself, Rose. I'll be back in a few." she says almost over her shoulder. She was sure that anything Rose would have to discuss could safely hold for a couple of minutes for her to enjoy herself and be friendly.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-30, 10:39 AM
As Ulfgar and Lyna step off to dance Rose takes a seat in Ulfgar's backwards turned chair, the folds of her dress parting to either side and revealing fishnet stockings. She places her newfound hat in the center of the table and looks around. "So, how's everyone doing tonight?" she asks, flashing a smile.

Andrew Markham
2015-01-30, 11:38 AM
Hanar shrugs and takes another sip of his wine. He then pulls out his little book and begins reviewing his notes from earlier in the day. He shows the woman no interest.

Ulfy
2015-01-30, 12:32 PM
With a boyish grin on his face, Ulfgar starts to lead Lyna around the emptiest area so as to not bump or bother anyone as they skip and dance!

Aven
2015-01-30, 11:46 PM
Aven smiles sweetly to the new comer.

Rose? I like those flowers. Did you name yourself for them?

palupton
2015-01-31, 12:47 AM
Lyna goes along with Ulfgar, letting him lead the dance. It was quite obvious that dancing was not normally her thing, but despite that, she still moves with a natural grace, grinning and laughing softly as they go. Her long red curls sway behind her and seem to be trying to wrap themselves around her shoulders the longer she moves.

"I'm not complaining, but why ask me to dance?" she asks after a short moment, her eyes bright with happiness. She needed to do this sort of thing more often.

Ulfy
2015-01-31, 07:22 AM
"This is my favrit' song and why not ask the purtiest lady in the place to dance to such a lively tune?"

He smiles sheepishly as they continue to round the floor. You get the feeling that if blushing could be seen on his skin, he would be.

As the song twinkles to the end, Ulfgar slows down and bows and kisses Lyna's hand.

"Thank you, Ms. Lyna, fur dancin' with me."

Grinning from ear to ear, he winks at Lyna and turns around to head back to the table.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-31, 08:31 AM
"Well, my callin' card says Desert Rose, but my friends call me Rose. And yes I suppose I did." she gives a soft chuckle. "I wear red, so the fellas will remember. Can't have your best customers forgetting your name after all."

After the song ends, the music stops briefly. Millie and her troupe of dancers (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/19/article-1267269-07BA5A89000005DC-925_468x448.jpg) take the stage and introduce themselves, followed by a short clogging session. A different pianist takes a seat at the keys and the show begins.

palupton
2015-01-31, 10:19 PM
Lyna grins back at Ulfgar's comment, and her cheeks turn a soft pink color. "It was my pleasure to dance with you." she says as she follows after him to the table.

"I hope that Rose was on her best behavior while I was gone." she says as she returns to the table and looks around at everyone. She rests one hand on Rose's shoulder while she stands behind and to one side of her. She reaches forward and grabs her whiskey bottle off of the table and tips it back for a very long drink as she straightens before continuing. "If ya'll will excuse us for a moment, Rose and I have some things to discuss." she says with a tip of her head and a gentle squeeze on Rose's shoulder before letting her hand fall back to her side.

She takes a few steps away towards the long bar top, and turns back to look at Rose. She makes a smooth motion with her head that was quite clearly telling her to follow along, but it didn't quite qualify as a jerk.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-01-31, 10:45 PM
With that Rose stands and follows Lyna to the bar.

(Due to the music playing and the hushed tones used, eavesdropping will require a DC 15 perception check)
"Yes Madam? What is it?"

Andrew Markham
2015-01-31, 11:30 PM
Hanar has now become deeply engrossed in his notes from the battle, and begins analyzing them for new data.

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]
Knowledge Nature: [roll1]

palupton
2015-02-01, 10:15 AM
Lyna looks at Rose with a strange expression for a moment before settling on an almost neutral one, and then crosses her arms across her chest to avoid talking with her hands, her bottle of whiskey still firmly held in one.

"Do you still have a client upstairs?" she asks before turning to look at the table and the lone hat still resting in the center of it. A small grimace crosses her expression when she looks back at Rose.

"The hat, Rose. Please tell me that no one is going to be coming looking for that and stirring up trouble to get it back." she says as her expression becomes slightly exasperated, as if it were a common occurrence for Rose to take some sort of trophy from her clients.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-01, 09:00 PM
Lyna proves just how tough she is as yet another drought of her bourbon barely phases her.

Rose answers back to her line of questions.
"Oh no ma'am, in fact I came down to see if any of your friends were looking for company. Business has been aweful slow tonight. Probably on account of what happened in town today. Bank got held up. That's where the hat came from too. One of them lost it as he was riding off, I couldn't see just letting it lay there in the road to get trampled on."

palupton
2015-02-01, 09:37 PM
Lyna hesitates, takes a deep breath, and then lets a sly smile cross her face. She nods slightly and then tilts her head in the direction of the table.

She takes another shot of her whiskey before she turns and heads back to the group. She pauses after a step, and looks back at Rose.

"Just... Don't push too hard if they don't bite. Today's been a long day for us too."

Lyna walks the rest of the way to the table and sits down in her chair. She crosses one leg over the other and takes yet another shot of her whiskey before setting the bottle down on the table in front of her.

"Sorry about that. So, how are things going here? We should probably start working on a plan for the journey out of town soon." she says a little offhand, as if she knows it should be done, but isn't something she really wants to think about at the current moment.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-01, 10:35 PM
Hanar lowers his book slightly to acknowledge Lyna as she returns. "Well, as I understand it, we have another task to test our abilities tomorrow. We have no specifics as to what we will be facing, so we shall have to be prepared generally. However, I don't think we will be leaving town just yet. Still, it would behoove us to be prepared for that eventuality. In addition to my already demonstrated methods of laying waste to our opposition, I am capable of producing magical effects which can provide us a safe, warm place to spend nights on the road, allow us to keep a watch without depriving anyone of sleep, and summon forth a horse for myself to ride on. I can create a disk to carry large amount of supplies, so we shouldn't need a cart or pack horse. I also have a wand which can summon water a number of times, so a number of our basic travel needs should be accommodated."

"As to the trial we are supposed to go through tomorrow, I AM curious as to the skills each of you possess which were eluded to by our good Sheriff. Obviously we know that Aven possesses magic as well, albeit of a different nature than my own, but I am curious as to what everyone else has to contribute. Sticks, have you prepared your usual array of alchemical mixtures?"

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-02, 01:09 PM
Swizzlesticks slams another shot back and smiles (fort save [roll0]) And his Wings quiver again as he makes a skewed face.

"I thought your people turned blue as they got older...."

He shakes his head after a bunch of people seem to move around and say things, but he seems to stay still for a moment or two, he then looks up again as he is spoken to again.

"Well... you know I shoot exploding bullets.... and I have an array of potions that only I can take to do a multitude of things....."

He smiles wide.

"Plus Im handsome"

Ulfy
2015-02-02, 07:37 PM
Ulfgar reaches for the hat that Rose had on that is sitting in the middle of the table. He starts to look over it seeming to check for size and shape.

"Just don't make me angry. Unless our lives are on the line... But then, you wouldn't have to worry about that."

Andrew Markham
2015-02-02, 07:53 PM
Hanar reads out loud as he writes, "Master Ulfgar's contribution...being very angry. Got it. And you, Miss Lyna?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-02, 09:04 PM
Swizzlestick appears to be getting slightly tipsy.
You are now in stage 1 inebriation.After a failed fort save at the DC of the beverage being consumed, the character gets a +2 morale bonus to physical stats for [roll0] hours. Additional alcoholic intake within this time requires Fortitude saves at a -2 Morale penalty to avoid going to Stage II. The temporary Constitution bonus to fort saves does not apply to drinking fort saves.

Rose walks by Ulfgar running her fingers along his shoulders as she passes. "You like that hat? It'd look good on you." she flashes another smile before turning back towards the stairs.

palupton
2015-02-02, 09:27 PM
Lyna makes a face as if her stomach may have turned, and eyes her whiskey bottle for a moment before leaning forward and replacing the cork in it. She sighs and crosses her arms across her chest as she leans back a bit in the chair.

"Well, I'm decent at tracking things, being sneaky, finding traps, the usual. I'm definitely an up close and personal kind of fighter." she says as she stares in an almost enchanted way at the hat on the table. Her eyes jump up to Rose as her fingers drag lightly over Ulfgar's shoulders and her voice catches Lyna's attention. She has to purse her lips slightly to avoid smiling, and instead turns her gaze to Swizzlesticks to see how he's fairing with all of that gnomish whiskey. She doesn't address him, just watches him briefly to see if he's shakey yet.

Ulfy
2015-02-02, 10:08 PM
"Nah. It's a little raggedy. I'm starting to like the finer things in life.", he says as he eyes Lyna and smiles.

He hands the hat back to Rose.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-02, 10:35 PM
Rose accepts the hat back, and scampers back up the stairs. It would take more than a sideways comment to rile her feathers. Time passes and you begin to grow tired. As you leave the saloon, one by one, you notice the full moon beaming down on you. Each of you wander back to your own dwellings, with the exception of Aven and Addi who seem to be comfortable just sleeping out under the stars. (You are able to get a full night's rest and replenish expended spells or abilities. Also if the magic users wish to update their prepared spells they may do so.)

A rooster calls out his morning revalry as the first beams of sunlight pierce the night sky. Once you have awoken and completed your morning rituals you gather together once more at the front porch of the Sheriff's office. Sheriff Newhall has not yet arrived when you get there.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-03, 10:09 PM
Swizzlesticks frowns looking at the closed sign and begins to investigate the area and try to remember where the sheriff lives, should they need to go get him.

[roll0] Perception
[roll1] Knowledge Local

Andrew Markham
2015-02-03, 11:01 PM
"Our good sheriff is always wearing a badge, a five-pointed star, if I recall. I can cast a spell to locate that badge, and hopefully he will be attached to it."

Hanar casts a spell, closing his eyes to concentrate intently on the image of the sheriff's badge.

"Interesting...the sheriff's badge is not anywhere within the considerable range of my spell, which I believe is approximately 1000 feet. Since this spell will last for the next 15 minutes or so, I suggest we ride around town until I can pick up its location."

Hanar casts another spell, throwing a small fluff of air into the air next to him. A pony appears there with a a bit and saddle. Hanar mounts up and says, "I'll return when I catch a signal!" and rides off.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-03, 11:37 PM
The pony wheezes and grunts as Hanar mounts up, his long legs hang so low that his boots occasionally scrape the ground as he goads the pony into a gallop. Hanar rides straight down the main street then begins to circle the town expanding his search radius by 200 ft each lap. After about 6 minutes nearing the end of his third lap he finally senses something to the west. About a quarter mile out from the porch where the search began.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-04, 07:44 AM
Swizzlesticks nods to Hanar and smiles to everyone else as he spreads his wings.

"Ill check out his house, be back soon."

With a great pull upon his muscles he takes to the air and heads toward the sheriffs house.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-04, 09:40 AM
Hanar casts a cantrip and points at Swizzlesticks as he flies away. He begins whispering.

Swizzlesticks hears, "Stop. We should go together. This may be part of the test."

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-04, 10:09 AM
He spins mid flight and faces him as he flies backwards.

"come on then old man!"

Andrew Markham
2015-02-04, 02:30 PM
Hanar turns his pony to face the group and says, "Sticks is flying west, which is apparently where the sheriff's house is. I have located his badge in that direction also. I believe we should proceed there. I have a suspicion that this may be a test to see how we gather information and work together, but I have no evidence to prove this."

palupton
2015-02-04, 09:21 PM
Lyna was running a little late to meet up with the others at the sheriff's office, and as she walked down the street, her emerald green skirt swayed back and forth around her ankles. It was a little shorter than the burgundy skirt she'd had on the day before, with a split almost all the way to her hip. Under it, she wore thick black leggings that were skin tight, but didn't hinder movement. Her golden under-bust corset had been swapped for a rich brown over-bust one made of leather, and the shirt beneath it was black like the one she'd had on the day before, though it had a little more movement to it. She was still wearing the same boots, belt with strange writing around it, and weapon arrangements, though they were slightly less concealed than the day before. Her long red hair had been pulled back into a braid to her waist that swung back and forth around her shoulders like a whip that threatened to snap at a passerby.

As she caught sight of the building, she looked up and saw Swizzlesticks in the air flying off. It only took another second before Hanar spoke and caught her attention. When she saw that he was on a pony, which he made look smaller than it was, an eyebrow and the corner of her mouth quirked upwards.

"I'm late and already missing the fun. Sounds like there may be trouble ahead. Lead the way, Hanar. I'll keep an eye out for anything out of place." she says with a touch of amusement to her voice that drops off the longer she talks.

Lyna looks around the area for anything unusual, and plans on following the others with both eyes scanning for information. A feeling tells her that this probably isn't just a test, but she doesn't voice her concern as it may be worry over nothing.

((Added)) She notices something that catches her interest and speaks up. "Hold on; does anyone else think it strange that there are muddy prints on the porch? The ground is pretty dry around here." she says as she kneals to touch the prints to see if she can tell how old they may be.

"There are still damp spots here and there. These are... an hour old? If that? Hanar, how far do you think that badge is from here? If you had to ride around to sense it, then it isn't at his house." she says as she stands and looks at Hanar with a thoughtful expression.

"Sheriff Newhall usually stables his horse here 'round back. I think we should go check, since he's unlikely to have taken her out for a short trip." she says to no one in particular.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-04, 10:32 PM
Swizzlesticks yells out.

"No horse round back!, lets check out his house, Come on guys!"

Andrew Markham
2015-02-04, 10:33 PM
"I sense the badge approximately a quarter mile to the west of here. If we move in that direction, I will be able to home in on it specifically. However, since my spell's duration will continue for several more minutes, it's worth checking out the stable. Since you seem to be skilled at this sort of tracking, and I have little skill in that field, I will follow your lead as you collect more evidence. Let me know if my magic can assist you in any way."

palupton
2015-02-04, 11:13 PM
Lyna looks up at Swizzlesticks as he yells out, and then back at Hanar. "Even though the horse isn't in the stable, there may be another clue there. It will only take me a moment to check if you want to head towards the house and I'll catch up to y'all. It certainly won't hurt to pinpoint that badge while we have a chance." she says as she makes a move to go around back. She hesitates for a moment before she turns and disappears towards the stable.

There, she finds mud matching that on the front porch, and prints from both the horse and some boots running through it. "The mud is the same, but I wonder where it came from. I don't remember hearing rain any time last night...." she says to herself more than anything.

Ulfy
2015-02-04, 11:30 PM
Ulfgar sticks around with Lyna incase there's trouble and to offer a ride.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-04, 11:31 PM
Hanar shakes his head and follows Lyna, trying to keep the others in sight. "No ma'am," he responds, "Sticks can do as he likes, but if there is some chance of hostile encounters, the rest of us should stay together."

Hanar looks down at the mud. "Our native guide has spent a lot of time out and about, and she knows a thing or two about mud," Hanar continues, remembering the quicksand incident wryly. "I bet she could figure out if this mud is significant somehow. I shall endeavor to see if it is magical in some way, just in case."

Hanar waves Aven over, hoping she will come look at the mud. He then casts Detect Magic and concentrates on the mud. If he finds nothing, he will sweep the entire stable.

Ulfy
2015-02-05, 09:04 AM
"Hey, Aven! You can talk to your cat, right? Have it sniff that mud and ask it what animal it smells. 'Cause that ain't mud. Not normal mud anyways."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-05, 09:10 AM
Hanar doesn't seem to find anything magical in the stables.

Aven
2015-02-06, 06:16 PM
Aven comes up riding on the back of Addi. As she gets closer to the group, the panther stops and Aven slips off her back. Aven places her hand on the panther's cheek and smiles. Letting Addi go off and do what she was asked to do, Aven joins the rest.

Ulfy
2015-02-06, 08:34 PM
"So, whatever was in there either really had to go, got scared, or marked its territory."

Aven
2015-02-06, 08:46 PM
After Addi sniffs the mud she looks up at Aven. Aven then turns to the rest of the group

She told me that there really isn't anything special about the mud...it is mud and horse urine... She makes a slight face as she says this

palupton
2015-02-06, 08:51 PM
Lyna kneels down and lets her eyes follow the "muddy" tracks around, and she shifts her weight to keep following them with her eyes. She stands back upright after a moment and takes one more quick look around. "The tracks through here seem to be heading back out front." she says more to herself than anything, but loud enough to be heard. She takes a few steps in that direction and at the edge of the building, she can see the hitching post and the tracks leading to it.

She continues following the tracks with her eyes, but doesn't go out of sight or earshot of the others. She looks up at the sky to see where the sun is before looking back down at the ground and letting her eyes jump around while she thinks. "These tracks are leading west. That would put us moving in the direction of Swizzlesticks. Is there anything else you can see here, or should we go ahead an start followin' these?" she says as she looks back over at the group. She seems to be a little uncomfortable about this situation, and even though she is used to being in charge of the brothel, this is different. This could get someone killed.

Ulfy
2015-02-06, 09:03 PM
Ulfgar gets down off of Mayble and checks the front door one more time.

"Yep. Still locked and everything normal on the inside."

He climbs back into the saddle on Mayble, offering Lyna a ride and a hand up.

palupton
2015-02-06, 09:14 PM
Lyna looks up at Ulfgar and gives him a small smile before she reaches up and takes his hand. She easily gets up on Mayble's back behind him. "Thank you, Ulfgar. Alright, looks like we should be ready to go." she says as she looks around at the others.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-06, 09:37 PM
Everyone mounts up and begins to follow Sticks' lead, however before you reach Sheriff Newhall's house Lyna can tell that the tracks turn off into the open land beyond the town limit. (Do you continue to the house or follow the horse tracks?)

Andrew Markham
2015-02-06, 10:08 PM
Hanar concentrates for a moment, then points in the direction of the tracks. "The sheriff's badge is that way, just at the edge of my spell's range, 900 feet or so. Let us continue with the tracks." If he can not hear, Hanar uses his Message spell to send the same words to Sticks.

Ulfy
2015-02-06, 10:15 PM
Ulfgar addresses Lyna.

"Tracks sound good?"

palupton
2015-02-06, 10:36 PM
Lyna nods. "Following the tracks would definitely be my vote. The sheriff could be in trouble at the end of them." she says as she looks down to follow the tracks with her eyes.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-07, 02:24 PM
Swizzlestick reaches the sheriff's house and finds it empty. Nothing seems out of place so he looks back to the rest of the group and notices them heading out of town. Hurrying to catch up he makes a bee line for the party.

Just as Sticks catches up with you, you see on the horizon a saddled horse that appears to be dragging something (DC 20 perception to identify). The horse has stopped to graze.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-07, 02:51 PM
"The sheriff's badge is still 450 feet off. That might not be him. Let us check quickly and continue to follow- either to find him or avenge him."

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-07, 08:53 PM
swizzlesticks flies forward to scout from overhead

Ulfy
2015-02-07, 09:37 PM
Ulfgar rides forward at a slightly faster than normal pace.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-07, 09:53 PM
Hanar closes his eyes and focuses on his spell. He points and moves his hand until he points directly at the horse. Then he sighs in resignation. "Let us go examine the scene and see if we can determine what has happened." Hanar rides over to the horse, slowing down on approach so as not to frighten off the animal.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-07, 10:10 PM
Swizzlestick flies higher to survey the surrounding area. While Hanar and Ulfgar move on to investigate the scene with the horse. It takes just over half a minute to reach the top of the hill where the horse is grazing. Aven and Addi approach cautiously and hang back a bit as to not frighten the beast of burden.

Upon drawing near, you see the body of a man, still and face down. His foot is caught in the horse's stirrup. His clothes are soiled from being dragged and his shirt is soaked with blood. Hanar's magical sense tells him he is now next to his target.

Swizzlestick lands next to Hanar, and says "There's a house down in the valley. It's about a half mile from here."

Andrew Markham
2015-02-07, 10:44 PM
Hanar's eyes turn slightly whiter as he stares at the body intently. Then Hanar announces, "He's alive, but just barely holding on." Hanar casts a spell while still on his horse. "He should no longer be losing blood. Now I can attend to his specific injuries in due time." Hanar dismounts and begins slowly approaching the body, so as not to frighten the horse.

If he is able to reach it, he touches the body and uses arcane reserve to cast Cure Critical Wounds, healing [roll0] damage.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-07, 10:58 PM
The rise and fall of lungs breathing can now be seen from the man's back, where before these subtle movements were too weak to be visible. A small cloud of dust erupts from either side of his head as he coughs loudly. His wounds close and he begins to rise off the ground, freeing his foot and pushing up with his arms. As he sits up and shakes his head, dust circles him. You can recognize Sheriff Newhall, though he is very dirty and his clothes are torn and tattered from the rocky ground. He looks around.

"Oh! It's you. I don't know how you found me but I'm glad you did." a look crosses his face as if a thought had suddenly occurred to him and he quickly dashes down the hill a ways and ducks behind a thick woody shrub. He waves you down to his new position.

Ulfy
2015-02-08, 12:48 AM
Ulfgar rides down to the bushes and offers a hand to Lyna if she wants get down and hide, a look of concern on his face. He stays mounted and looks in the general direction the Sheriff is looking, hoping for a good view from his slightly elevated position.

Perception: 1d20+12

Andrew Markham
2015-02-08, 09:35 AM
Hanar raises one eyebrow skeptically, but follows the sheriff's actions, dismounting and walking the pony off the beaten path. He then looks around for a clue of what the sheriff is reacting to.

Perception: [roll0]

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-08, 11:03 AM
Both of you notice that the crest of the hill now blocks your view of the valley.

"Thanks Doc, thought I was a goner there. I rode out this morning to try and see what we were up against. The bank was held up yesterday while you were out at McCoy's ranch. I was pretty sure it was the Blackwall boys. They let out of here a few months back with their old man. They claimed our water rations were too strict and thought they could make it better on their own. I thought for sure they had withered up out here. After yesterday's events I decided to send you out to bring them in, but I wanted to gather some information for you. I guess they were expecting me. I did get close enough to see that they've taken up with some injuns and at least one of them is a heluva shot. I was at least a quarter mile off when I caught a round."

Sheriff Newhall pats his chest where he had been shot. He finds a piece of lead that must have been forced out as Hanar's magic closed his wounds.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-08, 09:14 PM
Swizzlesticks quickly hides in cover with the sheriff and looks around.

"So... you want that we should take the men down? take back the money? and save the day? cause that's what I'm hearing. "

He begins taking potions from his pouch.

(Drink Shield Potion, +4 Sheild bonus)
A sparkling opaque force feild glimmers around Swizzlesticks as he quaffs the first potion.

(Drink Long Shot potion +10 ft range to weapons)
Swizzlesticks Eyes seem to sharpen as his pupils open wide.

(Drink Barkskin Potion +3 NA enchantment bonus)
Swizzlesticks skin seems to grow increasingly hard.

(Drink Monstrous physique Potion *Charda* +2 size bonus to Dex, and +1 Size bonus to NA)
His form changes to a creature armored in dense, bony plates, this four-armed creature drools wretched strings of black bile from its fanged maw.

(Drink Blood Armor Potion, for each 5 points of S/P damage, gain +1 enhancement bonus to AC)
Swizzlesticks armor seems to be coated in a crimson Ichor as his new form looks toward the house.

(Drink Mutagen +4 Dex, -2 Wisdom, +2 Natural Armor, alchemical bonus)

The new creatures muscles tighten and become taunt with its new flesh as it pulls out four guns, one for each of his arms. It grins as a black ichor drools from his face.

"Well it looks like we have some fun to handle then.... doesnt it sherriff? lets go get some bank robbers."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-08, 09:38 PM
The Sheriff's skin goes pale, and he visibly shudders as Swizzlestick changes into a hideous creature.

"In all the years I've known you, I'd never have seen that coming. *gulp* Well, bring 'em in if you can."

Andrew Markham
2015-02-08, 10:23 PM
Hanar seems unphased by Swizzlesticks' new form. He says to the sheriff, "Considering your recent brush with death, perhaps you had best stay out of the fighting."

Hanar casts Shield (+4 Shield bonus to AC) upon himself. Then he announces quietly, "I believe I shall dedicate my magical efforts to the preservation of life in this encounter, rather than the destruction I caused yesterday. I shall provide protections for anyone who wishes them." He approaches Swizzlesticks and casts a spell which turns his skin into stone (gives DR 10/adamantine for 130 minutes), then uses a wand on him.

Use Magic Device, DC 20: [roll0]
If successful, Aid- [roll1] temporary HP, rest as Aid spell, 3 minutes

"If anyone else wishes some of these protections, you have but to ask. I have one wand I can use just before battle begins, Sticks."

Then Hanar points at the group and begins mouthing softly. Everyone hears Hanar's voice whisper near their ear, "This particular tribe favors ambushes and sneak attacks. With the way we found our sheriff, I believe there may already be such an ambush nearby, ready to spring. Be subtle, but look for it."

Ulfy
2015-02-08, 10:28 PM
"Or I could spring their trap and the rest of you could counter ambush.

palupton
2015-02-09, 12:07 AM
Lyna glances around for anything that stands out to her, any sign that Hanar may be correct in assuming there's an ambush already in place. As she looks around, she slides smoothly and almost cat-like from her spot on Mayble's back and hunkers down near the sheriff. She seems completely unphased by Swizzlesticks' transformation, minus a slight widening of her eyes. "Hanar, if you don't mind, some extra protection would be appreciated." she says softly without really looking at him.

Instead, her gaze is behind him, and she looks around as subtly as she can manage, looking just beyond each person in the group in turn. As soft as a mouse, she continues. "I'm going to see if I can get a better vantage point in a moment. Don't track me with your eyes if you can help it." she says as she shifts her weight slightly in preparation to move.

"I'd appreciate a moment to try and scout before we spring any "counter-ambushes", if that's ok with you, Ulfgar." she says as she looks directly at him, but she throws a smile in his direction to show that she isn't cross about the idea.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-09, 12:55 AM
Hanar nods subtly, and casts Stoneskin on Lyna.

Aven
2015-02-09, 04:38 PM
Aven closes her eyes for a moment and a look of concentration wrinkles her forehead. After a brief moment the bark-like texture of her skin seems to ripple and it looks like her skin hardens considerably (Wild Ironwood armor)

Her green eyes tighten in the corners and she looks a little concerned

I am ready and prepared...I don't like the thought of an ambush.

Ulfy
2015-02-09, 08:15 PM
Ulfgar nods to Lyna.

"A lil surprise couldn't hurt, Aven."

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-09, 08:38 PM
Swizzlesticks nods and looks to Ulfgar.

"Go in at a run on the big beasty, and Ill take to the sky, youll get there before me, And ill save you once they reveal themselves.... Ill try my best to leave one alive...."

With that he spreads his taunt muscular wings and takes to the air, 120ft up.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-09, 10:02 PM
[OOC you are grouped together 15-25 feet from the crest of the hill, beyond that, the cabin is 2,640 feet away. The terrain is desert and there are several low shrub/brush cover plants and the occasional small tree. The grade is steady, descending about 500 in altitude over the distance. There are two steep drops at around 1100' and around 500' from the cabin.]
[roll0] Ulfgar
[roll1] Swizzlestick (+3 from temp)
[roll2] Hanar
[roll3] Lyna
[roll4] Aven
[roll5] Rifleman

IO is:
Ulfgar
Sticks
Aven
Rifleman
Lyna
Hanar

Ulfy
2015-02-09, 10:12 PM
"See you on the other side."

Ulfgar grips the reigns tight and lowers himself as close to Mayble as possible while putting her at a charging run!

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-10, 07:41 AM
Sticks continues ascending, but begins a movement toward the house. 60 ft up, 60 ft toward the house.

Aven
2015-02-10, 05:19 PM
Aven swings back up onto Addi and follows in the same direction as the guys

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-10, 06:28 PM
Somewhere in the distance the rifleman lies in wait.
[roll0]

It is Lyna's turn

palupton
2015-02-10, 10:00 PM
Lyna looks on as the others go charging in and sighs as she hangs her head. She turns to look at the sheriff, sees his horse, and an idea strikes her. She wastes no time mounting the horse and looks down at sheriff Newhall from the saddle. "Sorry, sheriff, but you stay here. I'll bring him back safe as I can." she says before she urges the horse onward.

(Moves 50' in the direction of the others, off towards one side while following the lay of the land)

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-10, 10:07 PM
As Lyna nears the sheriff's horse a dry rattling is heard. She mounts the horse just as a dusty rattlesnake strikes at her heel.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] (if hit roll fort save)

The snake narrowly misses Lyna, but it manages to spook the horse who rears slightly before darting off to the left of the rest of the group, rider and all.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-10, 10:48 PM
While still pondering what to do, Hanar uses a Quickened Magic Missile to deal with the rattlesnake, lest it disrupt himself or the Sheriff.

Damage: [roll0]

Hanar ponders the strategy of the situation. If there is an ambush, it won't be all the way at the house. Thinking of what he knows of the bandits and injuns, he climbs up onto his pony and focuses on the image of a rifle. Hanar figures at least one of them will have one, to make the sort of shot that injured the sheriff. He reaches out with his magical senses to locate the nearest rifle to his current location (casting Locate Object).

Ulfy
2015-02-11, 12:24 AM
Ulfgar continues forward at Mayble's top speed, looking for any sign of a sniper or ambush...

[roll0] perception

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-11, 07:47 AM
With all his mighty effort, Swizzlesticks wings pull him through the air closer and closer toward the long away building, serving as a major attention getter in the sky, 120 foot closer.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-11, 11:43 AM
Five tiny explotions blow the rattlesnake to pieces. Ulfgar keeps his eyes peeled as he and Mayble barrel forward, but he has yet to see any sign of trouble. Sticks flaps along drawing closer to the target.

It's Aven's turn.

Aven
2015-02-12, 11:22 AM
Aven has Addi slink forward at a slower pace than Ulfgar, keeping her eyes sweeping around in case of danger.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-12, 11:31 AM
Somewhere in the valley the rifleman takes an action. Ulfgar, Mayble, Sticks, Aven, and Addi may roll perception checks to see if they noticed anything.

palupton
2015-02-13, 07:50 PM
Lyna brushes her hands down the side of the horse's neck to calm him, and then urges him forward into a run, still following the lay of the land to stay as hidden as possible and heading towards the house. She looks around to see if she can spot anything as she goes.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-14, 12:21 AM
Hanar shakes his head at the amusing notion of gathering intelligence from the rear, and rides his pony after the rest of the group. He makes sure to stay back from Ulfgar and his mammoth, and keeps focus on his spell.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-14, 10:17 PM
The morning dew, still wet on the leaves of the few sparse plants growing in the valley, glistens; ushering insects and lizards out of their hiding spots to drink their fill before the sun grows hot and high in the sky.
Ulfgar and Mable barrel forward towards their goal. There is a hunger in the Smith's eye as he watches the house grow larger and larger with his approach. Mayble runs for 24 more seconds before slowing her pace a tad. Catching her breath after about 6 seconds she returns to a full gait for another 30 seconds. Along the way the running mammoth charges over the edge of a 25' drop off in the terrain. Ulfgar barely manages to keep control of her as they drop. Mable lands hard but stable taking [roll0] nonlethal damage. (Mayble may run one more round before needing another "break") (total movement 1520 feet bringing you 1840 from the Sheriff.)
Swizzlestick keeps his eyes peeled as he continues to fly at a brisk but comfortable speed. Even from his vantage point he can't make out much more than a beast's shadow. (1200 ft more travel, putting you 1440' from the Sheriff)
Aven and Addi plod along at a comfortable pace, not wishing to draw attention they keep Mayble and Ulfgar between them and the house. They move on, falling a good deal behind until Aven spy's a tree that she favors and nudges Addi alongside it. Climbing from Addi's back she quickly blends into the branches leaving the large feline to lie at it's roots and wait. (Move an additional 800' now 960' from the Sheriff.)
Now comfortably nestled into his perch the gunman peers out at the hill before him, his attention is definitely drawn to the charging mammoth and her rider, though he also notices a strange looking bird and a large sleeping cat which he finds odd.
Lyna rushes around to the south at breakneck speed, she sees a ravine ahead of her. Tightening her grip on the reigns and leaning forward against the horse's neck she leaps the beast over the gap. She is able to see the hundred foot casm below her with a creek in it's belly. She lands safely and continue s on south, then west, then finally turning north. (The horse will need to either rest next round or con check.) (Total movement 2350', I'll have to plot course to know how far from the sheriff since you didn't move in a straight line.)
Hanar works his pony to a gallop and sets off after Ulfgar. The pony is faster than Mayble and slowly begins to shorten the 320 foot gap between them. Seeing Mayble tumble off the drop with all the grace afforded Babe the Blue Ox, Hanar pulls back on the reigns of his pony and braces as the pony leaps from the edge. A few loose stones tumble with the pony's last hoofbeat. The pony lands on a rock and takes 9 dmg. His heart racing, and adrenaline flowing Hanar thinks for a moment that he has sensed his object, but the feeling quickly fades. (Total movement 1640', you are 1640' from the sheriff and 180' behind Ulfgar.)

Ulfgar is up.

Ulfy
2015-02-14, 11:58 PM
Ulfgar charges on, preparing for Mayble's next break. He draws his axe from its holster on the side of Mayble, hefting it in one arm for now, back and parallel to Mayble.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-15, 08:57 AM
(Wes is indisposed so I'm posting on his behalf.)
Swizzlestick continues to fly toward the house. He looks for anything suspicious or any sign of movement.
[roll0] perception.

Aven
2015-02-15, 06:19 PM
Aven shifts slightly in her tree in order to get a slightly more comfortable footing...other than the rustle of some leaves, she remains where she is.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-15, 06:50 PM
A sound like Thunder crashes through the valley trailing with echoes. A small object richochets off of Ulfgar's axe and slams into the ground throwing up a cloud of dust.
[roll0] stealth to remain hidden (shooting penalties applied)

It's Lyna's turn

palupton
2015-02-15, 11:06 PM
Lyna can see that there is definitely someone in the south side of the house, but with her distance from the house, she can't make out who it is. She slows down and lets the horse rest from its breakneck speed and looks on at the house, and around the area to see if she can find the source of the gunshot. She tries to stay under cover and hidden as she continues her approach.

(Added) As Lyna watches on, the glass of the window on the south side of the house blows straight outwards and spays the ground in front of it. She can't see who or what caused it.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-16, 12:50 PM
Hanar hustles the horse forward more, finally bringing the house into range of his spell. He nods and looks around, finding none of his allies close enough to contact. He looks up at Sticks and spends a point of arcane energy to begin molding a spell, readying it for casting at the proper time.

Ulfy
2015-02-16, 12:54 PM
Ulfgar brings Mayble to a slower pace so that she may catch her breath.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-16, 02:36 PM
{sorry for the delay, placed everyone as close to accurate as I could. Each hex is 10' for now until we get closer.}
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/shadowwalker19/DeadwoodM2map1.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/shadowwalker19/media/DeadwoodM2map1.jpg.html)

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-02-16, 03:30 PM
Swizzlesticks moves another 120 feet West as he puts one of his pistols away (Calling Revolver).

He keeps a look out, trying to get a better look at the shadow he saw at a further distance.

[roll0] Perception

Aven
2015-02-16, 06:07 PM
Addi the panther stays where she is, half hidden by the tree, however with a sudden flurry of feathers a hawk suddenly rises from the tree and streaks for the roof of the house

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-16, 06:30 PM
A hawk flies out of the tree Aven was just in, it moves 60 feet toward the house.

Just then another deafening clap echoes through the valley. Hanar feels a sting as hot lead pierces his shoulder (take 19 DMG).

With that sound Swizzlestick sees the head of a reptilian creature rise up from behind the house as it stands on it's hind legs briefly.

palupton
2015-02-16, 07:51 PM
Lyna pats the side of the horse and after a moment urges him onward again. At the sound of the gunshot, she jumps slightly and swivels around trying to find the source of the sound, hoping that she'll have better luck now that she's closer to the house.

Andrew Markham
2015-02-16, 10:02 PM
Hanar leans down and says to the pony, "Catch up with me as you can without hurting yourself." He then slides off the pony into a rift and appears 130 feet west. On foot, he moves 25 feet southwest until he can see the window of the house.

He points towards the location of the rifle and, knowing they probably won't hear, says with great anger, "Word of advice!! Don't shoot someone who can SHOOT LIGHTNING!!!" Hanar casts a potent Chain Lightning (+2 DC), hitting the sniper, his rifle, and anyone else standing within 30 feet of them.

Damage: [roll0], DC 26 Reflex Save for half

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-02-16, 10:25 PM
With lightning arching all around him, the gunman grips his rifle tightly and rolls to his left avoiding the full brunt of the shock, the electricity continues to arch and pop for a few more seconds as shrieks of pain can be heard from in and around the house.

It's Ulfgar's turn.

Ulfy
2015-02-17, 03:17 AM
Ulfgar ramps Mayble up again and aims for the left side of the house.