PDA

View Full Version : Computer Dragon Realms advice

No brains
2015-01-07, 01:43 PM
I might try Dragon Realms at some point in the near future and would like some pointers on how not to be a miserable failure.

I'm thinking of playing a Prydaen Barbabrian, possible of 'flame' persuasion because it seems easy, but if there's another better introductory class, let me know.

Whammydill
2015-01-09, 09:29 AM
Been a while since I played Dragon Realms, but that shouldn't be too hard for you to do that combination. Stay away from Thief and Empath as they are a little rough as a first choice. I started with a Elothean Warrior Mage who was convinced he was a Dwarf. Lots of RP was had with him.

They were tweaking a lot of monster difficulties when I last played so I couldn't say what is fightable at low levels. Goblins, watersprites, rats, and random animals near town were doable.

Just remember in your downtime try to find someone who is teaching a skill you want. As long as they aren't mind locking you or something you should be able to learn as you rest.

DodgerH2O
2015-01-09, 06:11 PM
Oh wow, I've logged so many hours in DR during my life, but it's been a loooong time, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My Prydaen Barb was one of my favorites, as I also played a Thief Commoner, I was able to use that knowledge to pretend that he was of the shadowy persuasion, which is usually the opposite of how things go. It's a good combination, and your natural claws make brawling a lot of fun. I liked to start off with throwing weapons and then move into melee with claws, it wasn't the most effective combat approach (no parrying), but it was a blast. I'd say if you're new to the game grab a broadsword and shield, much more forgiving.

My advice is to try and buy your starting stats up to at least 10 each, and don't underestimate how important mental stats are during the early game. You need skill ranks to "level", and once you get to 5th or so you'll have plenty of points to raise your combat stats. Trying to do the "dumb Barbarian" thing and putting all your points into physical stats is just going to backfire.

Other than that, the community was incredibly helpful. I took several newbies under my wing in my time, and most of them later paid that forward, teaching the next generations of players. Most Guilds have an area where members socialize during their downtime, find these places and ask questions! Use the in-game HELP often. I used I think DIR (Directions command) constantly when I was new, don't be afraid to rely on it until you get your bearings.

It was a great game, with an amazing community and staff, hopefully you enjoy it. I'll never forget some of the excellent RP that went on in that game, and the combat is some of the best I've experienced in any computer game. The game isn't for everyone, but if you're interested enough to try it you're probably the right type of person for it.

No brains
2015-01-10, 09:39 AM
Been a while since I played Dragon Realms, but that shouldn't be too hard for you to do that combination. Stay away from Thief and Empath as they are a little rough as a first choice. I started with a Elothean Warrior Mage who was convinced he was a Dwarf. Lots of RP was had with him.

They were tweaking a lot of monster difficulties when I last played so I couldn't say what is fightable at low levels. Goblins, watersprites, rats, and random animals near town were doable.

Just remember in your downtime try to find someone who is teaching a skill you want. As long as they aren't mind locking you or something you should be able to learn as you rest.

These days it turns out sleazy louts in the middens are the chumps to gun for. I actually tried to fight some rats and got killed mysteriously fast! Your completely reasonable, logical advice got me killed! :P So far I think the cause was me trying to grapple them. They kept me stun locked and I couldn't get away until I was bleeding to death. It's weird how a barbarian cat can fist fight five men but not three rats...

Oh wow, I've logged so many hours in DR during my life, but it's been a loooong time, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My Prydaen Barb was one of my favorites, as I also played a Thief Commoner, I was able to use that knowledge to pretend that he was of the shadowy persuasion, which is usually the opposite of how things go. It's a good combination, and your natural claws make brawling a lot of fun. I liked to start off with throwing weapons and then move into melee with claws, it wasn't the most effective combat approach (no parrying), but it was a blast. I'd say if you're new to the game grab a broadsword and shield, much more forgiving.

My advice is to try and buy your starting stats up to at least 10 each, and don't underestimate how important mental stats are during the early game. You need skill ranks to "level", and once you get to 5th or so you'll have plenty of points to raise your combat stats. Trying to do the "dumb Barbarian" thing and putting all your points into physical stats is just going to backfire.

Other than that, the community was incredibly helpful. I took several newbies under my wing in my time, and most of them later paid that forward, teaching the next generations of players. Most Guilds have an area where members socialize during their downtime, find these places and ask questions! Use the in-game HELP often. I used I think DIR (Directions command) constantly when I was new, don't be afraid to rely on it until you get your bearings.

It was a great game, with an amazing community and staff, hopefully you enjoy it. I'll never forget some of the excellent RP that went on in that game, and the combat is some of the best I've experienced in any computer game. The game isn't for everyone, but if you're interested enough to try it you're probably the right type of person for it.

Thank you for the advice! I've raised my wisdom and discipline to 10 each and I'm gaining ranks at a pretty good clip! Fighting with claws is awesome these days as barbarians can do combos. Claw, punch, slap, kick! It's a a pretty unique experience. I did invest in armor and a sword and board for survivability, but I have not yet sprung for any missile weapons. With the way combat seems to work in DR, are they really worth it?

DodgerH2O
2015-01-10, 09:36 PM
Thank you for the advice! I've raised my wisdom and discipline to 10 each and I'm gaining ranks at a pretty good clip! Fighting with claws is awesome these days as barbarians can do combos. Claw, punch, slap, kick! It's a a pretty unique experience. I did invest in armor and a sword and board for survivability, but I have not yet sprung for any missile weapons. With the way combat seems to work in DR, are they really worth it?

The combos are important, I liked figuring out my own, the key is to improve your balance and conserve fatigue while putting the opponent off balance, then use a stronger attack (Claw is perfect for this, or lunge with thrusting weapons) to hopefully inflict a major wound. As you've learned, stunning can be a death sentence. If they haven't changed it too much, Circle Elbow Claw was a good simple combo to recover balance.

For missile weapons, they're useful for several reasons. Firstly, as a Barb you will need to have ranks in multiple weapons in order to advance. Missile weapons are also good when you hunt opponents with poor defense but who can quickly tear you apart in melee. If you can wound them from missile range before closing to melee you begin combat with a significant advantage. Even if you want to stick to melee I'd still work a Crossbow into your combat routine. Keep it loaded as you search for opponents and open up combat by firing it, then put it away and ready your weapon of choice as the enemy closes in. Once the enemy is dead, recover your bolt, reload the crossbow, rinse, repeat. One warning, WEARing a loaded crossbow had a small but nonzero chance to accidentally fire a bolt. Every time this has happened to me it missed me but I feel like I've seen someone get shot by their own crossbow...

One more thing, for Armor, you should probably stick to Leather or Light Chain. You can mix and match to gain multiple skills at once but you'll be more hindered in and out of combat. I believe Barbarians can eventually train the encumbrance off of lighter armor but it won't be noticeable until several dozen ranks.

Things are probably fairly close to the same, it sounds like, so hopefully this advice isn't too dated. How are you enjoying the game?

Whammydill
2015-01-12, 09:58 AM
These days it turns out sleazy louts in the middens are the chumps to gun for. I actually tried to fight some rats and got killed mysteriously fast! Your completely reasonable, logical advice got me killed! :P So far I think the cause was me trying to grapple them. They kept me stun locked and I couldn't get away until I was bleeding to death. It's weird how a barbarian cat can fist fight five men but not three rats...

Lol, sorry to hear that. When I last played it was pretty erratic what I could fight. One day I could go up north and handle a room full of reavers. The next I was getting owned by single goblins...go figure. I never quite understood what all goes on behind the desciptions with the mechanics. One time I had my chest detonated...in a blow barely worth mentioning...stupid blood wolves. Balance and fatigue is the name of the game.

I like the engagement distance thing of Dragonrealms but I like seeing calculations. I usually strayed back to where I started, Gemstone, because of that. Dragonrealms was more dynamic though and pretty fun.