PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A horrific flesh golem based BBEG / campain arc

gawwy
2015-01-07, 05:17 PM
Hi all,

Im putting together a BBEG who collects corpses to rip them apart and make horrifying part flesh part construct things to defend his base where he is building a Flesh Golem (or a Cadaver Golem, (Heroes of Horror pg. 149-151)).

i know that i want a room with the BBEG and the Flesh Golem in it to be the climax of the adventure but im unsure of what smaller creatures i could use in the lead up or have patrolling around the base.

was gonna have the lair in the sewers of a large city with a large hidden room being the main base so ideally the horrors should range from small size up to large at the biggest.

any idea on thematic creatures?

thematic build for the BBEG?

Mr Adventurer
2015-01-07, 05:24 PM
Crawling Claws.

Is the theme Constructs, or Flesh?

If Flesh, you can go for either Undead or Aberrations, or a mix!

atemu1234
2015-01-07, 06:03 PM
There's also cadaver golems from Heroes of Horror.

Nibbens
2015-01-07, 06:46 PM
I'd say, throw your PC's for a loop. No monsters leading up to the dungeon - just Haunts. The only thing that remains around this horrific thing is memories of the creatures he killed - make the haunts affect your players experience the sensations of what the golem did to his victims.

When your PC's finally encounter the thing - it will be a much more epic/satisfying conclusion.
***Also, in the conclusion - have a bunch of crawling claws (the severed hands of his victims) to add as cannon fodder along with the golem. 10-20 should be a good number. Overwhelm the PC's with them so it evens out the action economy and they are forced to face the BBEG for more rounds than they'd like to - giving him plenty time to bring up details of the victims during the final fight...

gawwy
2015-01-07, 06:51 PM
the theme was gonna be flesh. i do like that idea of haunts and handcrawlers. may have to throw a couple of aberations and undead in the lead up but not many. :D will definatly use a cadaver golem

Mr Adventurer
2015-01-07, 06:56 PM
the theme was gonna be flesh. i do like that idea of haunts and handcrawlers. may have to throw a couple of aberations and undead in the lead up but not many. :D will definatly use a cadaver golem

Beware that the Cadaver Golem's special attack seems to be "as a standard action, remove any part of a target creature and add it to itself". The way it's written is to add special abilities to the golem, e.g. Darkvision from stealing eyes. But there's nothing in there, as far as I know, that stops it stealing heads, or brains, or hearts. These might not add special abilities (unless stealing a mind flayer brain...) but the PC in question is likely to be put out at being instakilled as a standard action with no attack roll or saving throw...

gawwy
2015-01-07, 07:12 PM
with that description sounds like the intended target was an already dead or helpless creature. and that's exactly how ill run it.

Jergmo
2015-01-08, 03:30 AM
Isn't there an Ooze in Heroes of Horror that's the congealed blood of many people who have been murdered/executed? I may also be thinking of Libris Mortis.

gawwy
2015-01-08, 04:03 AM
that there is the blood amniote a large undead with ooze traits.

deals 1d4 con damage on hit with melee attacks.

if does enough con damage it splits in two.
both have full hp.

NICE