PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A merging of the minds

RurouniKakita
2015-01-07, 06:24 PM
So all the members of the party I am currently DMing for all seem to have acquired a second mind in their travels having used an ancient machine without really studying it or testing it and now when ever they fall asleep they run the risk of now waking as their original characters. They've decided that this is to much of a liability now and the party wizard is researching a way to make it stop. He is currently using a university that specializes in enchantment and the end result of his research will be that the second mind will be merged with the first with the original mind taking precidance. My question is this, is the enchantment school the correct one to go with or should it be transmutation? a combination of both would also be possible and what spell level would be expected for this type of spell?

atemu1234
2015-01-07, 09:05 PM
Remove Curse is a level three spell, I believe.

Troacctid
2015-01-07, 09:46 PM
Transmutation can physically fuse multiple beings together. Enchantment can mentally link multiple minds under a single, dominant will. Necromancy can channel and bind souls. Depending on the particulars of the situation, you might need any of the three, or some combination, or maybe you'd have multiple options.

The spell level of the new spell would depend on how powerful you want it to be. What benefits are they gaining from the splice?

RurouniKakita
2015-01-07, 10:12 PM
It isn't really a curse though. The party where exploring some old ruins that contained a variety of crystals that held a copy of peoples minds from a civilization long lost. They're a fairly Chaotic party with high intelligence, strength, and charisma but no real wisdom so leaping before they looked they used a machine that copied the minds to their own, the wizard actually picked up a blank one and copied himself but he doesn't know that yet (theorized that it happened but doesn't "know").

Renen
2015-01-07, 11:10 PM
Just make him meet a psion that tells him just how great Schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm) is.

Toilet Cobra
2015-01-08, 01:00 AM
Just make him meet a psion that tells him just how great Schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm) is.

Could be a good adventure hook... maybe during the early stages of his research he learns that, while his own efforts might eventually bear fruit, a powerful psion would be able to sort them out immediately. Maybe someone at the university knows of one.

Transmutation can physically fuse multiple beings together. Enchantment can mentally link multiple minds under a single, dominant will. Necromancy can channel and bind souls

I really like this breakdown. I'm definitely using this if a question about fusing two minds ever comes up (not as unlikely as it sounds). Based on OP's description, I'm guessing the answer lies in Transmutation. Maybe some sort of rejuvenating youth-magic could reboot them to an earlier form of their brains that doesn't have an ancient entity imprinted on it.

JDL
2015-01-08, 02:42 AM
Don't forget Conjuration to summon the mind out of the body and force it back into a container (eg. Soul Trap), or Abjuration to simply ward against the mind and seal it away where it can't affect you.

Illusion wouldn't really be much use here except to possibly craft a customized phasm that tricks the second mind into dormancy. Evocation would use the more direct approach of exploding your brains out of your nostrils to cure it.

Renen
2015-01-08, 02:57 AM
But if you REALLY want to get it out, just say that you used magic jar, and upon finding two sould in you the spell just went: "Hey bro, which one you want trapped in that gem"?

JDL
2015-01-08, 03:02 AM
Loophole: Now that soul in the gem gets to kick you out of your own body. Problem not solved.

Abjuration seems the cheapest option. By RAW, a Protection from Evil should provide ongoing suppression of any side effects of this second mind. As per the SRD:

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect.

Obviously the duration is a bit lackluster, but researching a longer lasting version without the other benefits or simply buying a custom continuous item of the spell should fix you up.