PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Connor Stonewall, Shield Anvil of the Hospitallers (or ive never played a pally!!)

Blackhawk748
2015-01-07, 08:24 PM
As the title says i have never played a pally before, so im looking for a bit of RP help. Now i generally play LN, NG, NN, or CG characters so this is a bit out of my zone. Connor is a paladin of Protection and Healing whose code is as such:

1. You should strive to be the best that you can be, so that you may help others.
2. If you can help others, and not hurt others by doing so, you should do so.
3. You are a trained healer, help where you can, when you can.
4. Be where you can do the most good, if able, whether this be on the battlefield or in the sick tents.
5. You should always be respectful and civil to everyone, even your enemies.

Clarifications
All Shield Anvils should be cautious of those who ask for help frequently. It is possible that they have begun to rely on you and expect, or even worse, demand what is your "duty". Note Aspirant that this is not your duty, you have come here, of your own free will, to help others. That is your choice. People such as the above example attempt to pervert our code and turn us into slaves. Do not allow this to happen. The best way to help others is to teach them how to help themselves, many problems can be solved by the person asking for help, all they require is guidance. Give them that guidance.

One other thing, im trading my Special Mount out for a Unicorn cohort who has a human alternate form, and she is this characters wife.

So not only am i playing a pally for the first time, i am also playing a married character for the first time and as such i am seeking advice.

Ninane
2015-01-08, 10:57 AM
If you played CG characters before you're at least somewhat familiar with acting within a certain set of personal standards for a good(ish) purpose. Your restrictions just are a little more confining now, since stepping out of those standards has the added penalty of probably losing your wife as well as your holy blessings bestowed to you as a Paladin. So if you fall, you'll fall hard, losing probably everything that you built this part of your life around. Maybe your character handles that well, so certain in faith and action that it's not even a concern. Maybe he is slowly becoming disillusioned with his work, seeing a sickening level of dependency and sloth in those he helps that his faith falls in question, but he keeps going for the love of his wife and fear of losing her. Maybe you're just a naive guy who fell in love with the first woman he found, the uniwoman, and he dedicated himself to the path of the Paladin of Protection and Healing with her as his teacher and lover.

I dunno. You seem to have a lot of experience in roleplaying so I don't think you'll have as much difficulty as you think unless your DM is an absolute jerk about falling. Just think of how your character's personality meshes with that of your Code, and whatever you find in that answer will help guide you with how to act. Your guy had a life/personality/traits before he dedicated himself to this cause. How they changed, if at all, after taking on this code is big determining factor for how to roleplay your new guy.