PDA

View Full Version : Candlekeep Setting material?

Xhosant
2015-01-07, 10:48 PM
Ok, any of you vets here happen to know what book I should plunder for as complete and detailed a description of Candlekeep? (In case it rings more bells, it's the library-fort at Baldur's Gate, Forgotten Realms).

I can use as much detail as I can get my hands on (as a setting), up to and including maps of the cupboards and personality traits for the local rats. The more detail as a setting, the better.

Palanan
2015-01-07, 11:36 PM
In terms of sourcebooks, I don't know if there's anything nearly as detailed as you're hoping for.

The best I've been able to find in the books is the one-column entry on p. 226 of the FRCS. There's another half a page (including sidebar) on p. 89 of the AD&D Grand Tour of the Realms, from 1993, but the entry in the FRCS is much more comprehensive, and adds more detail about wards and a guardian wyrm-spirit.

However, there's also an Introduction to Candlekeep (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ck_scroll.htm) on the official site itself, being a twelve-thousand-word essay written by Ed Greenwood and presented in an irritatingly narrow, cutesy-scroll format. Copied and pasted in Word it runs to 28 pages (before formatting), and that's probably your best bet for detailed information.

Jergmo
2015-01-08, 03:28 AM
I was going to say "Play Baldur's Gate." :smallwink:

Bullet06320
2015-01-08, 03:43 AM
The best source of information for Candlekeep is the Baldurs Gate PC game and is considered official cannon
The game comes with a booklet that includes Volo's Guide to Baldurs Gate and has a 2 page blurb on Candlekeep
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Candlekeep

Volo's Guide to the Sword coast also has a 2 page blurb

The novels Baldurs Gate, Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad, The Lost Library of Cormanthyr all have scenes that take place in Candlekeep
and there is another one, for the life of me I cant remember the name that has a scene that takes place in Candlekeep, and also has a tie in to the Threats from the Sea series

Bullet06320
2015-01-14, 03:11 AM
http://www.candlekeep.com/index.html

candlekeep compendium volume I has an npc in candle keep, Ivor Stonefists
altho I think technically 3rd party still has some good material in those

I was looking for something else and came across that, hope it helps

Sian
2015-01-14, 10:59 AM
Candlekeep compendium is 3'rd party yes, but looking at the general authorlist you find a few names that have later gone on to make official stuff (George Krashos, Brian R James, and iirc one or two more).

Otherwise, i'd say that scouring the Candlekeep forums might be the best bet, as either they know where to look or Ed Greenwood have made a few more detailed mentions

Bullet06320
2015-01-15, 01:38 AM
and anything written by Ed Greenwood is considered cannon and official material, as per the contract terms when he first sold Forgotten Realms to TSR

Sian
2015-01-15, 04:19 AM
and anything written by Ed Greenwood is considered cannon and official material, as per the contract terms when he first sold Forgotten Realms to TSR

unless its explictly is said otherwise by official books

Bullet06320
2015-01-15, 06:02 AM
unless its explictly is said otherwise by official books

yes, true. I read somewhere(web article I think) that the designers have had to work around some of things that Ed Greenwood has posted places