PDA

View Full Version : Wraiths on Nightmares!

Vorpal Pete
2007-03-31, 11:55 PM
I'm looking at having the dead of my campaign world collected and borne to the underworld by mounted wraiths. I'd like to mount the wraiths on nightmares, and in most ways it's a nice match. But!

Wraiths and their steeds would be incorporeal to the living (and on the ethereal plane). They would be substantial to the dead, who are also incoporeal to the living. So...

If the living were to enter the ethereal plane and fight a mounted wraith, the nightmare would be given the incorporeal trait and would do damage as a wraith (incorporeal touch d4+con drain) instead of the normal flaming hooves stuff. How would that affect the EL (normally a 7, I think).

If the dead were to try to ward off the wraith so as not to be taken to the underworld, the wraith would be corporeal and would need another attack form. I'm leaning toward giving the wraith a paralyzing touch when it's corporeal - perhaps a DC14 Fort save or be paralyzed. I may actually give the wraith a sword and have it do normal damage when it's corporeal in addition to the paralysis power. So how would the wraith being corporeal affect the EL?

Matthew
2007-04-02, 09:43 PM
Not really sure what you are asking here. The EL wouldn't change as far as I can see, but I could well be wrong.

1337_master
2007-04-02, 09:49 PM
Make it a GREATER wraith on a nightmare, + A couple of regular wraiths on nightmares.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-02, 10:07 PM
Make it a GREATER wraith on a nightmare, + A couple of regular wraiths on nightmares.

Now that's just beating a dead horse. :smallamused:

Ranis
2007-04-02, 10:35 PM
Now that's just beating a dead horse. :smallamused:

Ah, come on now, don't get all hoarse over it. :smalltongue:

Eighth_Seraph
2007-04-02, 10:48 PM
... ... ...
... ... ... ... ..wha? Believe I pun Feebleminded is by.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-02, 11:13 PM
Sounds like you need some good old fashioned horse sense then!

Oh come on, don't look at me like that. He set it up and everything.

TSGames
2007-04-03, 12:25 AM
Incorporeal is not the same as ethereal.

Bagera
2007-04-20, 09:40 AM
You could just give them a ghost touch saddle.

Vik
2007-04-20, 10:04 AM
Incorporeal is not the same as ethereal. QFT. If they are ethereal, then by now way other than force effect can you affect them from the material plane, but when on the ethereal plane they are just solid. Unless you give them a way to come into the material plane, think of them as the same monsters but in another plane - not changing their CR in any way.

Well, in fact you'd have to remove the incorporeal ability from the wraith, which would lower its CR.