PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Flavor question

Shadowscale
2015-01-08, 06:32 AM
I was pondering the idea of trying to make a cultist character concept, what class base and prcs would be apropriate to go for this concept?

WeaselGuy
2015-01-08, 06:41 AM
really depends on the type of cultist you want, i suppose, but i would probably lean in the direction of the disciple of asmodeous, from book of vile darkness (i think... i'm afb atm). if you want to eventually become a cult leader (and who doesn't) i would optimize leadership, and beyond that, pick a class with bluff, diplomacy and sense motive. beguiler comes to mind, and probably fits thematically too.

just my 2c

atemu1234
2015-01-08, 06:43 AM
Divine bard for a nonthreatening one; disciple of (outsider name) for anything else.

Shadowscale
2015-01-08, 06:48 AM
I'm thinking a divine flavor demon summoning/worshipping kind of vibe.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-08, 06:52 AM
I'm thinking a divine flavor demon summoning/worshipping kind of vibe.

Then yeah, Disciple of [insert demon here] would seem to be your kind of thing. If you're not evil, maybe malconvoker.

Shadowscale
2015-01-08, 07:03 AM
Then yeah, Disciple of [insert demon here] would seem to be your kind of thing. If you're not evil, maybe malconvoker.

What book would those two be?

WeaselGuy
2015-01-08, 07:14 AM
well, as i said earlier, disciple of asmodeus (and other lords of hell) is in the book of vile darkness. pretty sure malconvoker is in complete arcane

ExLibrisMortis
2015-01-08, 07:33 AM
You can add a dip (well, 5 or 10 levels) into one of the classes that gives you circle magic, because nothing says 'cultist' like a ring of hooded figures chanting ominously. Circle magic classes include the Red Wizard of Thay (DMG 193) and Hathran (Player's Guide to Faerūn 59). Hathrans in particular fit the bill: they get a bonus on the planar binding/ally spells, and those spells are automatically added to your spell list as well (for any class which can cast 4ths - divine and arcane). Officially, hathrans must be good, and they have to be from a specific region, but you can easily waive the setting requirements and use only the stats.

edit: to participate in circle magic, you don't need those classes, just a feat; the above is for cult leaders more than followers.

DrMotives
2015-01-08, 11:52 AM
After Book of Vile Darkness, there were a whole bunch of extra "Disciple of X" PrCs in Dragon magazine, for pretty much every published demon lord ever statted out. In the Dragon magazine compendium, there's even a base class armored mage type int caster that's a servant of Orcus, demon lord of the undead.

Vhaidara
2015-01-08, 12:02 PM
pretty sure malconvoker is in complete arcane

Nope. Complete Scoundrel.

Almarck
2015-01-08, 12:10 PM
Is this just 3rd edition or do you mean 3.5? Mostly, because I don't know if that means you have access to 3.5 stuff or not.

Personally, I would go for a Binder myself. If you got Tome of Magic, it's a great class since it has all of the thematic elements of a secretive cultist. Harbor beings from beyond space and time in your body to grant you boons, and occasionally warp your image to suit the needs of using that power.

Simply even using any power requires you to make a pact with an other worldly being, most of which were former mortals who were exiled from... everywhere, deposed gods. One is a Lich from a certain infamous dungeon. You don't need to worry about spell slots and once you make a pact with a being you gain powers specific to that entity for the whole day.

Binders also are notable for being persecuted for their strange powers not related to the gods and can be quite distrusted if you play up the creepiness of such a character that harbors the essence of otherworldly beings in his flesh.