PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crusader/Swordsage gestalt horrible or great idea

Jackofalltrades
2015-01-08, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone.
so i built a LV1 human Crusader with flaws for a upcoming campaign. i have gone through at least a dozen ideas already until i have decided firmly on Crusader. but the DM had hinted that he might or might not make it a gestalt campaign. so my original idea was Crusader/Bard. but then i also had a different idea, how about a Crusader/Swordsage? i know, i know, that's MAD, that was until i rolled 16,16,16,16,15,14 ability scores. (best scores that i ever rolled for a character :smallbiggrin:) so i put them in this order
STR 16+3
DEX 16+3
CON 16+3
INT 14+2
WIS 16+3
CHA 15+2
So I thought this would be a great Melee build. Good BAB, Good AC, all Good saves, 6 skills+Int+human skill points, LOTS of Maneuvers and i get a somewhat better weapon focus for free.
Basically the Idea of this Character is he going to be a Neutral Good Ex-Captain of the 4th knighthood of a kingdom and he is very tough to damage but is also very skilled in sword combat, knowing many different styles of swordplay.
I've heard that Warblade would be a better idea. but for me having a pretty balance build is very appealing to me.
so far for my 4 feats i have Extra granted Maneuver, Stone Power, Power attack, and i don't know what to take as a forth. I wanted a Bastard Sword but i know that probably a bad idea. might as well go with Greatsword. also i going to start with Scale armor but before i get to Lv 2 i going to either get a Chain shirt or Mithral Breastplate so i can also have the Wis AC bonus. just can't afford Chain shirt at LV1. so thats my Build. any suggestions would be helpful, especially what to take as a 4th feat (note: i don't think i need Adaptive style right away.)

note: i don't need any arcane or Divine spell caster stuff i have 2 friends that are also playing that love messing around with that stuff. also Psonics are not Allowed.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-01-08, 10:46 AM
since you have power attack and don't know what else to take, maybe you should take cleave so that if you are fighting two enemies you can drop one attack the other.

d20familiar
2015-01-08, 10:50 AM
Crusader // Incarnate gestalt seems like a better idea to me.

Troacctid
2015-01-08, 10:55 AM
Crusader and Swordsage gestalt together fine. Their chassises complement each other pretty well. The main conflict between the two is they both need standard actions for their maneuvers, and you only get one standard action at a time. Luckily, you can solve this by putting lots of boosts, counters, and utility maneuvers on the Swordsage side, and using the Crusader side for strikes. Let Swordsage handle your swift actions while Crusader handles your standards.

sideswipe
2015-01-08, 11:11 AM
i suggest (since you want crusader as your main side) crusader 20//swordsage 5/ fighter 2/ master of nine 5/ swordsage 8

you can swap crusader or swordsage at your choice.
the fighter dip is for the pretty steep amount of prerequisite feats for master of 9 (but so worth it)

master of nine gives a couple of stances, 5 extra readied manuvers and 8 manuvers known across 5 levels and from any of the 9 disciplines.

that is a tonne more than any other class. and you will have a character with a TONNE of counters and boosts, and have most ready all the time, and switch them every time you recharge.

on top of that you only drop one initiator level on the off side of the build. and for that you gain so much.

i really want to play this now :smallbiggrin:

Jackofalltrades
2015-01-08, 11:29 AM
since you have power attack and don't know what else to take, maybe you should take cleave so that if you are fighting two enemies you can drop one attack the other.

Hmmm... that might work. was looking for something more flashy, but it might work better then i think it will.

i suggest (since you want crusader as your main side) crusader 20//swordsage 5/ fighter 2/ master of nine 5/ swordsage 8

you can swap crusader or swordsage at your choice.
the fighter dip is for the pretty steep amount of prerequisite feats for master of 9 (but so worth it)

master of nine gives a couple of stances, 5 extra readied manuvers and 8 manuvers known across 5 levels and from any of the 9 disciplines.

that is a tonne more than any other class. and you will have a character with a TONNE of counters and boosts, and have most ready all the time, and switch them every time you recharge.

on top of that you only drop one initiator level on the off side of the build. and for that you gain so much.

i really want to play this now :smallbiggrin:

won't be able to go Master of 9. campaign will only go until Lv 7 or 9. so i might just go straight Crusader/Swordsage Lv8

Jeff the Green
2015-01-08, 06:32 PM
Hmmm... that might work. was looking for something more flashy, but it might work better then i think it will.

Instead maybe Combat Reflexes? Crusaders are good at AoOs and your Dexterity is actually pretty good. Or Imperious Command—you should have plenty of skill points for Intimidate, and cowering is nice.