PDA

View Full Version : Best way to build encounters in 5e

Sullivan
2015-01-08, 12:42 PM
I'm going to be Dming my groups fist 5e campaign in a little less than a week and was wondering how well the encounter builder template works. My first impression is that the XP budget that is suggested may be to easy, but then again I usually play 2e. one encounter I have falls a little over the hard category and is only a orc and two goblins (100+50+50)x2. I know that in 2e building a good fight was a little more of an art than a science. Im also a little worried of a TPK right out of the door if I get a little to carried away. Are there any suggestions on what goes into a good fight in 5e?

Madfellow
2015-01-08, 01:45 PM
If you like harder encounters, then try to make more of your encounters hard instead of moderate. As long as you can avoid the Deadly category, you're probably fine. People talk about combat in 5th being brutal, but I think that has more to do with the HotDQ adventure module being intentionally stacked against the players. The CR recommendations in the DMG seem to work fairly well, as far as I've been able to tell so far.

Sullivan
2015-01-08, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense because most of what I have been reading has been based around encounters from the modules. I've never used CR or an XP budget before so I'm a little skeptical.

LucianoAr
2015-01-09, 10:49 AM
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

this is pretty useful

Demonic Spoon
2015-01-09, 10:59 AM
The XP budgeting system is pretty solid in my experience.

Particle_Man
2015-01-09, 01:26 PM
Also it should be modified according to the tactical skills of your players. Do they fight like Napoleon Bonaparte? Make the encounters a bit harder. Do they fight like Napoleon Dynamite? Make encounters a bit easier.

And that can apply to your monsters tactics too. If the party is not doing well, let the monsters make more tactical errors.