PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Human/Half Golem Monk PRC Help

willowsgrave
2015-01-08, 02:10 PM
Hello, My name is Carl and I have a Human/Half Golem Monk. I am looking to get help on best prc for my build.
First let me explain the Half golem part. During game play I was eaten by a Night Hag and my DM himself came up with saving my character by creating a Half Golem. I am still kinda novice to d&d so bare with me. I am at level 9 and I am going into level 10. My question is what prc is good for my build if any and when should i start?

MY Stats after Golem template:

Str 28
Dex 13
Con 20
Int 9
Wis 12
Char 8

Level Feats:

Dodge +1 to AC
Mobility +4 to AC threatened
Improve Initiative +4 to Initiative
Spring Attack
Combat Reflexes

Monk Bonus Feats:

Improve Grapple (bonus feat lvl 1)
Deflect Arrows (bonus feat lvl 2)
Improve Disarm (bonus feat lvl 6)
Monk Class:

Flurry of Blows
Improved Unarmed Strike
Evasion
Fast Move
Still Mind
Ki Strike: Unarmed consider magic and lawful
Slow Fall: 50
Purity of Body
Wholeness of Body
Improve Evasion

Necroticplague
2015-01-08, 03:24 PM
Based on your stats, I'd recomend re-training some of your feats (literally, any of them but Imp. Initiative) so that you qualify for Fist of the Forest, then maybe going for Forsaker. As for "when", you should have started PRCing out several levels ago.

Metahuman1
2015-01-08, 03:38 PM
If possible, I'd retrain improved Disarm for Improved Trip.

Now, a question. Does your DM allow either Psioncis Rules or Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords?

willowsgrave
2015-01-08, 03:53 PM
If possible, I'd retrain improved Disarm for Improved Trip.

Now, a question. Does your DM allow either Psioncis Rules or Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords?

He will pretty much allow any from official D&D Books or appropriate 3rd party. Basically not home brew.

willowsgrave
2015-01-08, 03:55 PM
Based on your stats, I'd recomend re-training some of your feats (literally, any of them but Imp. Initiative) so that you qualify for Fist of the Forest, then maybe going for Forsaker. As for "when", you should have started PRCing out several levels ago.

I am a novice and I was just going to play the monk class straight, and then at level 6 I became a half golem. Then My DM ported my character to a new campaign with new players, and I continued leveling as a monk. Now I am getting the hang of it and I am thinking on make it more optimized.

Metahuman1
2015-01-08, 04:43 PM
Ok, so, your new. Tell me, have you ever read over the Tier system for classes and why each Class is in it's Tier?

I ask because while not official assessments, there a pretty good starting point to understanding the strengths, weaknesses, capability's and limits of each class.

Now, to make a longer story that you should likely still read if you haven't yet short for the matter at hands sake, Monk, looks good in theory, but doesn't work as well in practice, particularly as you get into high level play as you are starting too. There are, however, ways to get a character that plays like a more effective monk.

The first would be to retrain Improved Disarm for improved trip, using the rules in the players handbook 2. From there, begin taking levels in swordsage, using the unarmed class variant. You'll want to pick up adaptive style from the same book the swordsage is in.

The Second, would be to being taking levels in Psyckick Warrior, and take the feats Monastic Training and Talshlorana (I probably spelled it wrong.), which are found in one of the Eberron Books. You'll probably want to invest in some items that increase your Wis Score if you go this route to help you have better use of your powers.

atemu1234
2015-01-08, 10:50 PM
Ok, so, your new. Tell me, have you ever read over the Tier system for classes and why each Class is in it's Tier?

I ask because while not official assessments, there a pretty good starting point to understanding the strengths, weaknesses, capability's and limits of each class.

Now, to make a longer story that you should likely still read if you haven't yet short for the matter at hands sake, Monk, looks good in theory, but doesn't work as well in practice, particularly as you get into high level play as you are starting too. There are, however, ways to get a character that plays like a more effective monk.

The first would be to retrain Improved Disarm for improved trip, using the rules in the players handbook 2. From there, begin taking levels in swordsage, using the unarmed class variant. You'll want to pick up adaptive style from the same book the swordsage is in.

The Second, would be to being taking levels in Psyckick Warrior, and take the feats Monastic Training and Talshlorana (I probably spelled it wrong.), which are found in one of the Eberron Books. You'll probably want to invest in some items that increase your Wis Score if you go this route to help you have better use of your powers.

I second checking out tiers.

Feint's End
2015-01-09, 08:49 AM
I disagree on going Tashalatora. He has too many Monklevels to do it effectively. To go Tash you basically take 1 monk level at most (or 4 if you go Ardent).

I recommend taking a 1 level dip into Swordsage (Tome of Battle) and then going 10 levels Shadow Sun Ninja which progresses Monk Abilities and gives you a lot of nice class features.

edit: are you allowed to retrain feats? Otherwise you can get psychic reformation manifested on you for a small fee and basically retrain feats. You want to retrain some of those (Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack are all fairly bad).

Necroticplague
2015-01-09, 10:17 AM
edit: are you allowed to retrain feats? Otherwise you can get psychic reformation manifested on you for a small fee and basically retrain feats. You want to retrain some of those (Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack are all fairly bad).

Also, combat reflexes is questionable when your DEX mod is +2

willowsgrave
2015-01-09, 11:36 AM
I will have to talk to my DM about retraining, but if I recall I thought I need combat reflex for a prereq. I do appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

Metahuman1
2015-01-09, 03:33 PM
I disagree on going Tashalatora. He has too many Monklevels to do it effectively. To go Tash you basically take 1 monk level at most (or 4 if you go Ardent).

I recommend taking a 1 level dip into Swordsage (Tome of Battle) and then going 10 levels Shadow Sun Ninja which progresses Monk Abilities and gives you a lot of nice class features.

Really? I agree it's less then perfectly optimized, but I figured it would not be bad, and certainly better then more Monk?

And, en, I've never been a big fan of Shadow Sun Ninja.