PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Spell - Magic Message (Feedback Wanted)

miner3203
2015-01-08, 08:57 PM
Hi,

I homebrewed this spell for my campaign (as an improvement on the message cantrip), and I'm looking for feedback and suggestions on it (flavor, balance, other ideas, etc.) Here it is:

Improved Magic Message
1st-level transmutation

Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a small bottle of black ink worth at least 10 GP per level of the spell, which is consumed)
Duration: 1 day

You enchant two pieces of parchment you can touch. While the spell is active, whatever is written on one paper appears on the other as long as both are within 500 miles of each other on the same plane. The message disappears after 5 minutes. The spell can be dispelled at any time by a command word of your choosing, when spoken within 5 feet of either sheet of parchment.
At Higher Levels. When casting this spell in a slot of 2nd level or higher, it has the following effects:
2nd-level slot: the spell lasts for 3 days and has a communication range of 550 miles
3rd-level slot: the spell lasts for 1 week and has a communication range of 600 miles
4th-level slot: the spell lasts for 1 month and has a communication range of 650 miles
5th-level slot: the spell lasts for 6 months and has a communication range of 700 miles
6th-level slot: the spell lasts for 1 year and has a communication range of 800 miles
7th-level slot: the spell is permanent until dispelled and has a communication range of 900 miles
8th-level slot: the spell is permanent until dispelled and has a communication range of 1000 miles
9th-level slot: the spell is permanent and cannot be dispelled except by the command word, which can also be used to reactivate it. It has an infinite communication range and can contact other planes.

Thoughts, comments, questions, and concerns (especially about the communication distance, I have a strong feeling that it's not quite balanced) are appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Jlooney
2015-01-09, 03:48 PM
With a casting time of 10 minuets why not put the ritual tag on it? Also with this spell why ever use the message spell again?

miner3203
2015-01-09, 05:46 PM
With a casting time of 10 minuets why not put the ritual tag on it? Also with this spell why ever use the message spell again?

For the ritual tag, I wanted the higher-leveled versions to take the same amount of time to cast. The advantages of the message spell would be: it is a cantrip, therefore being at-will, speaking is faster than writing, you can communicate with illiterate creatures, and the communication can't be intercepted.