PDA

View Full Version : Angelic Sorceror

KiltieMacPipes
2015-01-09, 08:31 AM
I'm trying to make a Sorcerer subclass based on angelic heritage, but I'm stumped for 1st level abilities. Here's what I've got.

1st: ?? - Darkvision, maybe?

1st: ??

6th: Angelic Fury - When you cast a spell that does damage, you can spend 1 Sorcery Point to have that spell deal radiant damage instead of it's original damage type. This does not count as a metamagic effect.

14th: Angel Wings - Just like the Dragon ones.

18th: Truesight - As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to activate the incredible discernment of your ancestors. For 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration, you have Truesight as described in the Monster Manual to a range of 60'.

I'm trying to steer clear of any good/evil opposition built in, so I can't come up with anything mechanical that makes sense to me, and the ones I can come up with are "does x vs evil/outsider" or whatever.

You guys are always good for sweet ideas, so thanks in advance.

Ichneumon
2015-01-09, 08:56 AM
Well, in theory the angelic heritage should be for the Aasimar what the dragon heritage is for the dragonborn, so you could look at what kind of abilities the Aasimar get in the DMG for inspiration.

On level 1, the dragon heritage gives you the draconic language and you add your charisma-bonus to interactions with dragons. You could change it to the Celestial language and interactions with celestials. In 5e 'celestial' is a creature type, including not only angels, but also stuff like couatls and the pegasus.

The damage type that one would think of with celestials is 'radiant', but there aren't as many sorcerers spells that deal radiant damage. So, what if, instead, at level 6, when you cast a damage dealing spell, like fireball, and it hits, you get to add your charisma bonus of radiant damage in addition to the normal fire damage? Or maybe you can spend a sorcery point to instead make the fireball also count as radiant damage, for the purpose of by-passing resistance to damage types?

MadGrady
2015-01-09, 09:33 AM
Perhaps you could add something like the cantrip "Light" is added and doesn't count towards you spells known. Later on, add things like daylight, etc.

FadeAssassin
2015-01-09, 04:42 PM
18th: Truesight - As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to activate the incredible discernment of your ancestors. For 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration, you have Truesight as described in the Monster Manual.

One question: How Far? Truesight needs a Radius just like Dark Vision

Scarab112
2015-01-09, 04:59 PM
You could consider adding a few cleric spells to their repitoire. I'd rexo.mend mostly blasting ones that deal radiant damage. I think that would get across the heritage in a more flavorful way without breaking much.

Amnoriath
2015-01-09, 05:33 PM
1. You ought to consider to post this in the Homebrew section.
2. As many have said you can dissect this as the Draconic Sorcerer. Aside from what was said it gets permanent Mage Armor, an effective d8 hit die, and a free energy resistance. So, you have to go a little outside of radiant energy blasting. I would suggest something along the lines of a Magic Circle like effect and maybe some summoning.

Starsinger
2015-01-09, 06:08 PM
Cure Wounds and/or Healing Word as (a) bonus spell(s) known?

unwise
2015-01-09, 10:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing about cure and heal spells. It would give them some different utility to other sorcerers, letting them off-heal. I considering giving them access to some basic healing, but lots of cure and restoration style spells. I would make them spend sorcery points on casting them though. So they are not the go-to guy in the party for that sort of stuff. It would cement them as the 'in a pinch, he can do it' sort of off-healer.

Protection from Good/Evil sounds like a very appropriate ability. At high levels, it could be an innate ability. In 4e Angels had extra defense when they were uninjured. Maybe give these guys the protection spell innately, when they are unhurt. So landing the first shot on an angelic descendant is really hard for evil/good folks.

I would consider giving them advantage on social rolls with the faithful of their specific heritage's religion, but disadvantage with all opposing faithful. Sort of like the Dragonblood guy has with dragons, but a bit more useful (I think the Dragon one is too narrow and should at least extend to all slightly draconic creatures).

KiltieMacPipes
2015-01-09, 11:24 PM
One question: How Far? Truesight needs a Radius just like Dark Vision

Good call. Fixed.

Ichneumon
2015-01-11, 03:51 PM
I'm trying to steer clear of any good/evil opposition built in, so I can't come up with anything mechanical that makes sense to me, and the ones I can come up with are "does x vs evil/outsider" or whatever.

Remember that in 5e, Protection from Good/Evil, is focussed on alignment, but on creature type, so it might still be very appropriate, since Angels often fight against different kinds of creatures (undead, demons, aberrations).

Kryx
2015-01-11, 07:49 PM
I made an angelic bloodline in my homebrew - it's essentially the dragon bloodline. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aGlSiAbLxyN04vmaOjDt1os3jVy9PhN2iNLvc19I7XU/edit#

Feel free to steal whatever you want.

Rfkannen
2015-01-11, 08:11 PM
I made an angelic bloodline in my homebrew - it's essentially the dragon bloodline. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aGlSiAbLxyN04vmaOjDt1os3jVy9PhN2iNLvc19I7XU/edit#

Feel free to steal whatever you want.

giggle, I would totaly play an archon decended sorcerer.

"Where does you magic come from?"

"My great grandpa was a flying ball of light"

I also found the archon blooded aasimar in pathfinder hilarius.