PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Undead crit hits

Alucard2099
2015-01-09, 10:02 AM
I have a player who just hit my undead monster with a crit hit. I know in 3.5 undead were immune to them but I can't find any info for 5th ed... any help?

dead_but_dreaming
2015-01-09, 10:16 AM
Undead are not immune to crits anymore.

GiantOctopodes
2015-01-09, 10:32 AM
Nor sneak attacks. In fact, no one is immune to Sneak Attacks anymore, and I've yet to see a creature immune to crits. Just doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

eastmabl
2015-01-09, 10:35 AM
For those who think the undead may be less park because of, this they have compensated with more hp and other cool abilities.

Spacehamster
2015-01-09, 10:35 AM
Don't think any creatures are immune to crits, if you want enemy immune to crits you have to give it a suit of adamantite armor, that grants crit immunity. :)

Person_Man
2015-01-09, 11:02 AM
Exceptions to general rules are contained within the monster/feat/spell/etc description themselves (as opposed to being written into the general rules or creature types themselves, which makes the general rules a lot harder to remember and implement). So you only have to apply them if you're using that specific monster/feat/spell/etc, and the rule for doing so would obviously be right in front of you. Its part of the basic 5E game design.

In this particular case, if a creature is Immune or Resistant to something, it says so in their description. No monster I've read is Immune or Resistant to Critical Hits or Sneak Attack. (Though many are Immune or Resistant to non-magical damage or Piercing or Slashing or Bludgeoning damage, which has the effect of making them Immune or Resistant to Crits or Sneak Attack if they deal that type of damage).

Inevitability
2015-01-09, 02:55 PM
It's even turned around. A crit is one of the few ways to finish of a zombie without the chance of it crawling back up a turn later, radiant damage being the other.

RedMage125
2015-01-11, 12:34 PM
Which is something I LOVE, btw.

I liked what 4e did with "Zombie weakness" (which was any critical hit kills a zombie, so like a headshot in zombie fiction), although that did lead to a few lucky shots in my 4e games (dragonborn fighter opened combat with a Hurl Breath -1d6+2 damage, and took out a zombie hulk with 80+ hps).

So zombies have a chance to keep coming back, but a clean headshot or radiant damage takes them out.