PDA

View Full Version : No love for Galavant?

thorgrim29
2015-01-09, 12:52 PM
I watched the first two episodes of the ABC musical fantasy comedy extravaganza yesterday, and I like it a lot. The cast is stellar, the music is catchy, and it's very funny. I watched it with my sister, and we're not able to just say Galavant anymore, we have to sing it. Anyone else watching it?

Palanan
2015-01-09, 01:16 PM
No love here, sorry.

I lasted for about the first five minutes, maybe seven. Whenever Galavant was face-stomped into oblivion after his babe dumps him for the king. That seemed as good a place as any to switch channels.

Scarlet Knight
2015-01-09, 01:56 PM
No love here, sorry.

I lasted for about the first five minutes, maybe seven. Whenever Galavant was face-stomped into oblivion after his babe dumps him for the king. That seemed as good a place as any to switch channels.

That's funny...that's exactly the spot they lost me.

Coidzor
2015-01-09, 07:20 PM
It seemed potentially interesting but I just heard of it about a week ago from the Youtube ads.

Haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Legato Endless
2015-01-09, 10:50 PM
I was fairly hyped, but the humor killed it.

Too broad for my taste. I was hoping for more of a parody, not another influx of generic sex jokes.

Palanan
2015-01-09, 11:00 PM
That was the main reason I quit as soon as I did. Just...not funny, at least not to me.

: /

DoctorFaust
2015-01-10, 12:00 AM
Thought it was pretty good. Seemed like what Doctor Horrible would have been if it had been set in Disney, only, y'know, somewhat less so. I do agree that the humor got tiring at times.

Some pretty decent songs, though. Might pick up the opening and Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever when they get released.

Starbuck_II
2015-01-11, 01:22 PM
No love here, sorry.

He needed a Rebuilding, Fall From Grace, and redeemed hero moment.

It was decent. Next episode will determine how I feel.

hamlet
2015-01-13, 09:34 AM
The best that can be said about it is that it's better than Krod Mandoon. Worlds better.

Catchy music, actually.

But overall, it's pretty crud.

I do like the actor playing the king, though. He amuses me.

Brewdude
2015-01-13, 02:54 PM
Honestly, I liked Krod Mandoon better. I just finished two episodes and found it...boring.

hamlet
2015-01-14, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I liked Krod Mandoon better. I just finished two episodes and found it...boring.

I hated Krod Mandoon. It was crude to the point of being beyond absurd. It read like it was written by a squad of drunken frat boys.

I felt betrayed by it: it set back Fantasy as a genre a lot.

Reddish Mage
2015-01-14, 12:01 PM
I hated Krod Mandoon. It was crude to the point of being beyond absurd. It read like it was written by a squad of drunken frat boys.

I felt betrayed by it: it set back Fantasy as a genre a lot.

I am sure the writers of Krod Mandoon would sig this :smallcool:

hamlet
2015-01-14, 01:12 PM
I am sure the writers of Krod Mandoon would sig this :smallcool:

I'm sure that they would, actually. More's the pity.

huttj509
2015-01-14, 02:13 PM
I want to like Galavant. It feels very hit or miss. Episode 3 had more miss than hit (Mel Brooks probably could have pulled it off though, but they're not Mel Brooks). 1 was great IMO, 2 was good, and 4 was fun (People keep forgetting I'm not JUST the guy who gets to eat the raisins).

The "Oy, what a knight" number felt really muddy in execution, as well as feeling like a 2 line gag stretched out too long.

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-14, 11:00 PM
Haven't watched any of it yet, but "Jackass In A Can" came floating across my Facebook feed this evening via the SCA crowd and now I have to. :smallwink:

Mewtarthio
2015-01-14, 11:14 PM
I'm finding that I enjoy the scenes with the King way more than the "main" plot. A lot of Galavant & Co's scenes feel like they veer into shallow parody territory* (plus... whatever the hell "Oy, What A Knight!" was supposed to be), but the bits with the King can consistently make me laugh. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for dark humor (finally, a romantic comedy that actually acknowledges that everyone involved is an unlikable monster!).

*Not all of them, mind. I thought the "climactic" joust in Episode 2 was actually pretty funny.

DoctorFaust
2015-01-15, 12:16 PM
I feel like the show would be much better if they had bigger (or stronger) choruses. The songs the leads sing are generally fine, but the ensemble numbers seem small to me.

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-15, 08:03 PM
Just finished the pilot, and I really don't know what made the first few people to comment quit in the first five minutes. :smallconfused: I mean, it's not like something of the sort didn't have to happen; if he rescued her in the opening credits there wouldn't be a show. :smalltongue:

russdm
2015-01-15, 09:31 PM
I do like the actor playing the king, though. He amuses me.

That would be Timothy Omundson (I think its spelled like that). He was playing Detective Lassiter in Psych and was on Jericho as mayor of another town.

I watched at my sister's place and that it was pretty great. Reminded me of the The Gamers movie and stuff those actors later did like Journeyquest. Seemed to be mainly poking fun at heroic fantasy stuff. I am looking forward to watching more Friday night.

DiscipleofBob
2015-01-15, 09:46 PM
This show on ABC; Seemed like I wanted to see;
A musical known as Galavant;
With cameos galore; Weird Al, that dude from Psych and more;
Feels tongue in cheek this Galavant;

This spoof felt like a fresh new premise;
Light-hearted, funny, and full or promise;
But with all this hype and buzz; disappointing it was;
A real shame this show this Galavant'

A halfway decent opening; Nice twist with super bi!ch queen;
But they just keep on singing Galavant;
And every single song; goes on for far too long;
They keep repeating Galavant;

I want so much to enjoy it;
But long, repetitive songs just destroy it;
So halfway through minute four; The first song was still a bore;
I quickly grew tired of Galavant;

However I liked the king; but I find something bothering;
With a tyrant who's brain-defective;
A clueless, hopeless wuss; Completely oblivious;
He should call a certain psychic detective;

Do yourselves a great big favor;
Just skip this droll, unfunny labor;
Men in Tights this is not; Instead go see Spamalot;
They're both much better than this Galavant!

Palanan
2015-01-15, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob
*snip*

Thing of beauty. I'm smiling more reading this than when I was watching the actual show.

:smalltongue:

Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin
Just finished the pilot, and I really don't know what made the first few people to comment quit in the first five minutes.

So halfway through minute four; The first song was still a bore;
I quickly grew tired of Galavant….

That's it in a catchy nutshell.

Instead go see Spamalot….

I'll be watching Downton Abbey.

:smallbiggrin:

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-15, 10:48 PM
That's it in a catchy nutshell.
Ah. So Philistines with no appreciation for musical theater. Gotcha. :smalltongue:

And in point of fact, the opening song lasts a hair over two minutes, and isn't repeated in the subsequent episode. :smallwink:

Mewtarthio
2015-01-15, 11:49 PM
"Not as good as Spamalot" is quite possibly the nicest insult you can say about anything. But, hey, I'll admit it's hit-or-miss; I think it's worth forty-five minutes a week, but I can see why others give it a pass.

The main thing I'm interested in is how they managed to make a musical television series. Before this, I'd mostly figured it would be impossible, or at least highly impractical (Glee doesn't count, since it's nothing but covers). I'll have to see what my sister, the musical theatre nerd, makes of it.

Legato Endless
2015-01-16, 12:04 AM
This show on ABC; Seemed like I wanted to see;
A musical known as Galavant...

Heh.

Ah. So Philistines with no appreciation for musical theater. Gotcha. :smalltongue:

And in point of fact, the opening song lasts a hair over two minutes, and isn't repeated in the subsequent episode. :smallwink:

I like the fact that the uncouth invective is immediately abutted by a technical snipe against artistic license.

The main thing I'm interested in is how they managed to make a musical television series. Before this, I'd mostly figured it would be impossible, or at least highly impractical (Glee doesn't count, since it's nothing but covers). I'll have to see what my sister, the musical theatre nerd, makes of it.

Yeah, I actually wouldn't mind seeing this succeed. Mostly in the vain expectation we might get more of the ilk, with potentially wittier jokes.

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-16, 03:14 PM
I like the fact that the uncouth invective is immediately abutted by a technical snipe against artistic license.
Well what did you expect me to say? The complaint seems to be that a musical dares have an overture. I mean, really? :smallconfused:

AdmiralCheez
2015-01-16, 03:32 PM
You know, I really do hope it continues. It's a good concept, and has some potential, but I can see why they would stick to the really obvious/unfunny jokes in the beginning, to play it safe and draw in people. If they get more time to develop it, they might branch out and try some new, interesting material, at which point I might enjoy it. Because let's be honest - if you have knock-knock jokes in your script, you should throw it out immediately. Telling it while acknowledging that it isn't funny doesn't make it funny; it's still a knock-knock joke.

Legato Endless
2015-01-16, 03:41 PM
Well what did you expect me to say? The complaint seems to be that a musical dares have an overture. I mean, really? :smallconfused:

Consider it a sign of the times, and weep at the stark declination of audience attention span?

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-17, 02:40 AM
You know, I really do hope it continues. It's a good concept, and has some potential, but I can see why they would stick to the really obvious/unfunny jokes in the beginning, to play it safe and draw in people. If they get more time to develop it, they might branch out and try some new, interesting material, at which point I might enjoy it. Because let's be honest - if you have knock-knock jokes in your script, you should throw it out immediately. Telling it while acknowledging that it isn't funny doesn't make it funny; it's still a knock-knock joke.
The knock-knock joke isn't the joke in that scene, though. :smallwink:

AdmiralCheez
2015-01-17, 12:20 PM
The knock-knock joke isn't the joke in that scene, though. :smallwink:

I know, I just really hate knock-knock jokes. :smalltongue: Especially that banana-orange one. Of all the bad jokes in the world they could have picked, it had to be that one.

Scarlet Knight
2015-01-17, 01:58 PM
I wondered if I gave up too soon, so I tried Galavant again. I saw the episode where the Jester tries to teach the King to be funny, and once again said, "meh". Not terrible, but not funny enough to keep me.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by Mel Brooks and Monty Python, which is rather unfair to a TV show.

Dienekes
2015-01-17, 03:53 PM
As a fan of musicals, comedic parodies, and heroic fantasy I gave the first two episodes a watch with my brother.

He liked it. I thought it was pretty average. The songs are fairly forgettable, and only King Lassiter is really funny. I think I'll pass on this one.

russdm
2015-01-17, 04:38 PM
Instead go see Spamalot;
They're both much better than this Galavant!

What the heck is Spamalot? I know its not Monty Python Holy Grail movies. It sounds like a terrible movie, not worthy of praise. So far, everything I have heard about Spamalot suggests it might be like Tom Green's Freddie got fingered, a movie that should have all copies burned from existence.

DoctorFaust
2015-01-17, 04:49 PM
What the heck is Spamalot? I know its not Monty Python Holy Grail movies. It sounds like a terrible movie, not worthy of praise. So far, everything I have heard about Spamalot suggests it might be like Tom Green's Freddie got fingered, a movie that should have all copies burned from existence.

It's the musical version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and I think it was written by Eric Idle. And while I do like Galavant, Spamalot is superior in almost every way.*

*Assuming you like Monty Python's style of humor.

BannedInSchool
2015-01-17, 05:00 PM
*Assuming you like Monty Python's style of humor.
IIRC, I saw a documentary in which they said they were trying to transcend styles of humor, and so were irked that "Pythonesque" became a thing. :smallwink:

huttj509
2015-01-17, 06:59 PM
IIRC, I saw a documentary in which they said they were trying to transcend styles of humor, and so were irked that "Pythonesque" became a thing. :smallwink:

Let me put it this way. "And now for something completely different" and "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" weren't meant ironically at the time.

Spamalot: Wonderful referential humor. While the plot is based on Holy Grail, it's not just a rehash of the same jokes. My personal favorite (recommended for anyone who's performed or enjoys a lot of musicals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqR90J-hRtE

Lord Seth
2015-01-17, 07:27 PM
Surprised this show is getting such an underwhelming response here. I thought it was hilarious...

Really looking forward to Weird Al appearing in the next episode.

russdm
2015-01-17, 08:27 PM
Surprised this show is getting such an underwhelming response here. I thought it was hilarious...

Really looking forward to Weird Al appearing in the next episode.

I agree with you. Especially the bit with the pirates stuck on land which was pretty hilarious. I think it will be pretty good and impressive for later episodes, plus excited to see Weird Al.

Read about Spamalot at Wikipedia. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with it and the holy grail movie is better.

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-18, 01:51 AM
First of all, Spamalot is a live Broadway musical, which is a completely different animal from a TV serial, even a musical one.

Second, it is fantastic. Galavant is merely amusing and not-terrible, but not being as good as Spamalot is, as noted above, about the nicest insult you can throw at any musical comedy. :smalltongue:

Dienekes
2015-01-18, 06:09 PM
I agree with you. Especially the bit with the pirates stuck on land which was pretty hilarious. I think it will be pretty good and impressive for later episodes, plus excited to see Weird Al.

Read about Spamalot at Wikipedia. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with it and the holy grail movie is better.

1) Holy Grail is better.

2) How can you judge a comedy through a wikipedia article? Hell, reading a synopsis of Life of Brian would be one of the strangest least funny things ever (And then an alien shows up and Brian gets dropped off some distance away. The Roman centurion corrects Brian on his spelling.) So of course it won't seem good. But if you enjoy Holy Grail and music it's definitely worth a watch. There are some pretty clever songs as well as many nods to the original.

The New Bruceski
2015-01-19, 07:34 PM
I haven't seen this week's episodes yet. It's been very hit-or miss for me. The joust and pirates were great, and all-in-all the Galavant side of things plays off each other well. Over in Valencia, though, they write a character to be a complete limp noodle and then try to hang every scene on him. The jester, guard, and cook are all good supports, but they aren't supporting anything.

DiscipleofBob
2015-01-19, 07:49 PM
Now without rhyming...

The reason I compare it to Spamalot and Men in Tights is because this series is trying to be those things.

Honestly, Galavant isn't terrible, but it's not great either. It's gotten a little better in recent episodes. I stuck around for Weird Al and the plot's picked up enough that I'll probably see it through.

At the very least, it looks like the actors are having fun with it, and it doesn't grossly offend me like so much other modern TV. I genuinely hope it does well enough to at least inspire similar endeavors in the future.

hamlet
2015-01-20, 08:58 AM
No, it's not terrible, but it's just not very good at all. Now and then it'll elicit a chuckle and most episodes I'm smiling more than I'm rolling my eyes, but for the most part it's just quite terrible in a goofy sort of way.

I think, for the most part, what saves it from the complete dreck pile is the fact that it's very clear that the actors are completely aware of how bad it is and are just there having fun with it and poking fun at the whole thing.

Still, I really wish we could get a good fantasy series that isn't "guilty pleasure." I've always fantasized about a LOTR show done "right." Imagine an animated LOTR, weekly hour long show over the course of a few years without the added junk from PJ's version and just kept a little closer to the books. I'd be so happy.

Starbuck_II
2015-01-20, 11:21 AM
Adventure time is the closest to a D&D cartoon we will ever have.

But back to Galavant: I liked the monks. I saw how they were pairing the 4 characters but I dismissed it.

Also I did like the ending. Didn't expect that.

Renegade Paladin
2015-01-20, 08:18 PM
(plus... whatever the hell "Oy, What A Knight!" was supposed to be)
Having just watched it (lagging a week behind on Hulu), it's obviously a play on Fiddler on the Roof. You're not allowed to do a musical comedy without taking a shot at it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6VKf6bXCCo) :smallamused:

Palanan
2015-01-25, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by hamlet
I've always fantasized about a LOTR show done "right." Imagine an animated LOTR, weekly hour long show over the course of a few years without the added junk from PJ's version and just kept a little closer to the books.

I've often dreamed of much the same. Not sure about the animated part, but something that follows the books more carefully, which takes its time with the Shire, the barrow-wights, the interlude with Tom Bombadil, all of it. That would be fantastic.

Sadly, issues with rights and PJ aside, the cost would likely be prohibitive for a live-action series that maintained the visual standards we've come to expect.

Renegade Paladin
2015-02-08, 12:50 AM
Well, I watched to the end a couple of days ago.

It was interesting that the real villain of the piece - and the first to actually kill a named, recurring character - was Madelena. Also, the tactic of actually begging for a second season was interesting. :smalltongue: