PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Disable Device

Snig
2015-01-09, 02:22 PM
I'm using PC Gen to create a character. I have a question I can't figure out about my skills.

When I put a point into Disable Device my modifier goes from 3 (dex mod) to 7 (I think I get 3 points for selecting it? but i'm still not sure how I get 7?) And I also get the skill Disable Device (traps) which gives me a total modifier of 10!

Anyone know how to explain these Misc Mods?

Almarck
2015-01-09, 02:34 PM
If it's a class skill you get +3 for the first rank of getting a skill in Pathfinder.

In 3.5 you originally had x4 ranks on level 1, so Paizo decided to cut out the Middle Man in pathfinder and instead making skills 1 rank per level instead of x4 on first. To compensate, the first rank in any class skill adds a +3 misc bonus.

Cross-class skills can be raised too, at 1 level per rank, but do not get the +3 class skill bonus.

Snig
2015-01-09, 02:47 PM
do you know why disable device (traps) gets a +6 misc mod, while just disable device only gets +3?

Almarck
2015-01-09, 03:13 PM
Did you take a level in rogue or another class with the trapfinding ability?

We need race and class data.

Snig
2015-01-09, 04:49 PM
lvl 1 gnome alchemist.

Ssalarn
2015-01-09, 05:17 PM
lvl 1 gnome alchemist.

Any archetypes, or just the Base Alchemist? Did you grab one of the gnome racial traits that affects Disable Device?

We know that you've got 1 (rank) + 3 (trained) + 3 (Dex), so there's got to be 3 more that are floating out there as a result of another option you took. A gnome with the Master Tinker alternate racial trait and a trait like Nimble Fingers could add a couple more points, and the Trap Breaker archetype would add 1/2 your level (which I believe would be calculated as minimum 1), so that could get you there.