PDA

View Full Version : Pointy Thing That Hurts When You Step On It [Creature]

Demented
2007-04-01, 05:13 AM
(Unintentionally) ...In honor of the April Fools member ranks.

/-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/

Scalehorn Crawler

"Oh fie it, again! I stepped on another one!"

Size/Type: Diminutive Vermin
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), Climb 5 ft. (1 square)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Size, +1 Dex, +2 Natural Armor), touch 15, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-17
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 1'/0'
Special Attacks: Living Caltrop
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Natural Defense
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 13, Con 10, Int —, Wis 12, Cha 1
Skills: Climb +3, Hide +13*
Feats: –
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, Trap (6-20), Army (20-200)
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Scalehorn crawlers are tiny, mottled-brown crustaceans. They typically scuttle around cave floors and crawl up cave walls, eating plants and catching smaller vermin with their claws. The most distinctive feature of a scalehorn is its shell, actually a single, hollow, thorn-shaped scale which covers the creature itself. This scale can grow to up to two inches high and is as hard as steel, with a dangerously sharp peak. Oftentimes, inexperienced adventurers and spelunkers will first encounter a scalehorn crawler by stepping or sitting on one.

While living scalehorn crawlers have been used as weapons, either as caltrops or armor spikes, they have never been shown to be particularly effective. The empty scales are likewise useless, refusing to stand upright and being too brittle to fashion as weapons or even jewelry.

Combat
When threatened or disturbed by larger creatures, a scalehorn clamps itself to whatever surface it is currently clinging to and pulls its scale tightly over itself so that it is completely protected. A scalehorn affixed in this way is nearly impossible to dislodge and its hard armor is a significant deterrent to mundane predators.

Natural Defense (Ex)
As a immediate action, a scalehorn can attach itself to any solid surface (not flesh) which it is currently touching. While protected in this state, the scalehorn gains a hardness of 10 and is immune to grappling, but loses its dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and can take no other actions. The scalehorn can detach itself as a free action and will usually do so if it is in danger of drowning or suffering energy damage.

Manually dislodging the scalehorn requires a DC 30 Strength check, or a break check against the DC of whatever the scalehorn is attached to. If forcefully removing the scalehorn from an object, the object suffers 5 damage if it is mundane, bypassing hardness, or no damage if it is magical.

Living Caltrops (Ex)
A creature that moves into a square (or spends a round fighting while standing in such a square) containing scalehorn crawlers suffers an attack from the scalehorns as though they were caltrops, with the exception that the BAB of the attack is determined by the collective HD of the scalehorns in the square.
{table]Crawlers|Total HD|BAB
1-7|1|+0
8-11|2|+1
12-15|3|+2
16-23|4-5|+3
24-25|6|+5[/table]

Skills
Scalehorn crawlers have a +8 racial bonus to climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check even if rushed or threatened. *Because of its color, a scalehorn crawler receives a +4 bonus to hide checks when in cave-like environments.

/-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/ /-/

Redbacked Scalehorn Crawler

"...And if that doesn't convince you to wear shoes, nothing will."

Size/Type: Diminutive Vermin
Hit Dice: 1/4d8+1 (2 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), Climb 5 ft. (1 square)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 Size, +2 Natural Armor), touch 14, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-17
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 1'/0'
Special Attacks: Living Caltrop, Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Natural Defense
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 11, Con 12, Int —, Wis 12, Cha 1
Skills: Climb +3, Hide +12*
Feats: –
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, Trap (6-20), Army (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 1-3HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: —

The redbacked scalehorn crawler is a slightly larger version of its plainer cousin. Redbacked scalehorns are identifiable by the dull red stripe that runs from the front of their protective scale to the tip. In addition to this stripe, their scales are armed with a potent poison, making them very dangerous to unwary travellers. Special care should be taken when traversing areas with redbacked scalehorns.

Combat
In combat, a redbacked scalehorn behaves like a normal scalehorn.

Natural Defense (Ex)
As a immediate action, a scalehorn can attach itself to any solid surface (not flesh) which it is currently touching. While protected in this state, the scalehorn gains a hardness of 10 and is immune to grappling, but loses its dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and can take no other actions. The scalehorn can detach itself as a free action and will usually do so if it is in danger of drowning or suffering energy damage.

Manually dislodging the scalehorn requires a DC 30 Strength check, or a break check against the DC of whatever the scalehorn is attached to. If forcefully removing the scalehorn from an object, the object suffers 5 damage if it is mundane, bypassing hardness, or no damage if it is magical.

Living Caltrops (Ex)
A creature that moves into a square (or spends a round fighting while standing in such a square) containing scalehorn crawlers suffers an attack from the scalehorns as though they were caltrops, with the exception that the BAB of the attack is determined by the collective HD of the scalehorns in the square.
{table]Crawlers|Total HD|BAB
1-7|1|+0
8-11|2|+1
12-15|3|+2
16-23|4-5|+3
24-25|6|+5[/table]

Poison (Ex)
Injury, Fortitude DC 11, initial damage 1d6 Str Damage, secondary damage 1d6 Con Damage. The save DC is Constitution-based. This poison is normally contracted by stepping on a scalehorn. There is also a 5% chance to become poisoned when handling a scalehorn, such as to dislodge it from a wall. This poison cannot be extracted from the scale by nonmagical means.

Skills
Scalehorn crawlers have a +8 racial bonus to climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check even if rushed or threatened. *Because of its color, a Scalehorn Crawler receives a +4 bonus to hide checks when in cave-like environments.

Abjurer
2007-04-01, 08:38 AM
That's brilliant!
I very much like it.

A good non-magical, non-combat-oriented pain in the rear.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-04-01, 12:27 PM
If you didn't already, this should be submitted to the Monsters in the Playground. It's a good idea.

Jalil
2007-04-01, 03:13 PM
For the red back, the poison should be listed under 'Special Attacks' section, I think. Possibly the special defense?

Otherwise, I like it.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-01, 03:21 PM
Living calltrops! Hehehe. Cute.

Squatting_Monk
2007-04-01, 06:14 PM
I love it! I can just see my adventurers stumbling into a cave covered with the little crawlies. If they linger for too long, some might crawl up on their armor and become impossible to dislodge. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: W00t! Halfling in the playground!

martyboy74
2007-04-01, 06:50 PM
How do they attach themselves to surfaces? Does it still work after their death? If so, I see another bag of holding in the future.

Also, Squatting Monk, why are you still a halfling, and not a...something else in the playground?

\/ Actually, I meant putting them in said bag. Wouldn't want them in with the rest of your stuff, would you.

Demented
2007-04-01, 07:25 PM
They attach themselves to surfaces by whatever method seems optimal. As far as I know, special abilities don't continue to work for corpses unless explicitly stated to.

Still, the mention of their somehow being related to the creation of a bag of holding has piqued my interest. :smallwink:

@Jalil: Done.

As for the Halfling rank: The old ranks weren't deleted, just reduced to their minimum, so users with exactly 50 posts will have the Halfling rank, but 51-99 is Pony. I presume that makes it easier to revert back to normal ranks once April Fools is over.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-01, 07:29 PM
This definitely should be MitP'd; I think that it's the only homebrew monster I've ever seen on these forums that I would actually use.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-02, 07:00 PM
Wow, cute! I want one! Only worries is that some players (ie. me) might kill them, scoop out the shells, reinforce with iron, and poison people. Honestly though, GREAT monster. Definitely submit.
*bookmark*

Demented
2007-04-02, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately, I can't add a poll into this thread (unlike some other lucky people), so I'd have to make a new thread. I suppose I could make a new thread and ask a mod to merge this thread into the new one...

Mewtarthio
2007-04-02, 11:30 PM
It'd be easier to PM a mod and ask them to add a poll, wouldn't it?