PDA

View Full Version : Eat souls?

Weiser_Cain
2015-01-09, 07:44 PM
Is there a way to eat the soul of my enemies (as a human)?... I'm asking for a friend.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-09, 07:45 PM
Pathfinder or 3.5? What is defined as a soul, and how soul-like does it need to be? And what books?

Weiser_Cain
2015-01-09, 07:50 PM
3.5, though I'm curious about what pathfinder has to offer.

As close to a soul as possible, taking their minds is kinda ok but not what I was going for.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-09, 08:00 PM
Ah, so the Hungry Ghost monk would not work. This thread might be of interest, however: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?190416-DnD-3-5-Capturing-Souls

Vhaidara
2015-01-09, 08:04 PM
Soul Eater, BoVD.

EDIT: Crap, as a human. You can't do soul eater as a human.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-09, 08:12 PM
Huh. Pathfinder has one that might be of interest: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/souleater

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-01-09, 08:30 PM
If you subscribe to the Cartesian schools of thought, there is no appreciable difference between mind and soul. As such, the personality parasite power would work to replace someone's soul with a copy of your own.

Derjuin
2015-01-09, 08:39 PM
Is there a way to eat the soul of my enemies (as a human)?... I'm asking for a friend.

A creature killed by a spell modified with the Reaping Spell (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050505b&page=4) metamagic has its soul "devoured", so that could work. Combine with the appropriate Jaw/Breath/other mouth-related damage-dealing spell of your choice. :smallsmile:

It can be tough to use, though, because it is a +3 metamagic, so you'll probably want to find ways to minimize/avoid that adjustment.

Troacctid
2015-01-09, 08:40 PM
Shapechange into a souleater (Magic of Incarnum p194). It's an evil outsider with the supernatural ability to eat the soul of anything that dies within 30 feet of it.

Epic-level Warlocks can also take the Souleater Incarnate (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a) feat to gain the same ability.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-09, 08:41 PM
Reaping Spell + Pathfinder Witch with Blood Transcription seems not so optimized, but definitely thematic. Am I the only one who thinks this person might be interested in the witch sometime in the future?

Killer Angel
2015-01-10, 05:53 AM
Could "summon a Barghest" work?

Necroticplague
2015-01-10, 12:42 PM
Soul Eater, from BOVD. Can't be entered by humanoids, so a human will need either a template, or a type-changing feat.

From Elder Evils, we have Harvester of Souls, which lets you eat up someone's soul when you CDG them, granting you temp HP and preventing them from being brought back while you're alive.

Souls do exist in physical forms in some scenarios. Outsiders body are there souls, so eating there flesh is the same as eating there soul.

Jack_Simth
2015-01-10, 12:49 PM
Yes.

Oh, you wanted more than that? Well, some of it depends on how you define "eat". For instance, if you cast Magic Jar, and posess someone, then their soul is now housed in a crystal (the Magic Jar focus). You can then pull out the Book of Vile Darkness, page 33, specifically "Souls as Power", which lets you use a soul as an optional spell component which you may then be able to eat the results of (like Goodberry), or to craft a magic item which you may then consume (like a potion). Straightforward to pull of as a Wizard-9.

Inevitability
2015-01-10, 12:59 PM
Dragons can eat gemstones, right? Just Trap The Soul some souls into gems and eat them. You are technically not 'breaking' them, just digesting, so you will not have to worry about randomly appearing halflings in your gullet.

Milo v3
2015-01-11, 12:00 AM
Dragons can eat gemstones, right? Just Trap The Soul some souls into gems and eat them. You are technically not 'breaking' them, just digesting, so you will not have to worry about randomly appearing halflings in your gullet.

Since digesting is the act of breaking down food (in this case a gem), it would break.

Raven777
2015-01-11, 12:07 AM
As a dragon, I would consider

randomly appearing halflings in your gullet.

more like a bonus, really.

Snowbluff
2015-01-11, 12:08 AM
Huh. Pathfinder has one that might be of interest: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/souleater

HT, that Souleater is how your read Souleater in 3.5. In 3.0, the native edition of the PrC, you get the energy drain for each attack.

You have to go vampire for the full energy drain experie- dammit, it's once/round in PF. Wight. You want to be a wight.

Inevitability
2015-01-11, 07:45 AM
Since digesting is the act of breaking down food (in this case a gem), it would break.

Hm... Isn't there a dragon with a disintegration breath? Use that on your food, eat the ashes. Still close enough, right?

Milo v3
2015-01-11, 07:46 AM
Hm... Isn't there a dragon with a disintegration breath? Use that on your food, eat the ashes. Still close enough, right?

If it's disintegrated, you've broken it. :smallconfused:

Weiser_Cain
2015-01-11, 11:01 AM
It's not the eating with my mouth mechanic I'm looking for, it's the absorbing their spirits for power thing. It could be via mouth or just holding a guy up by his lapels (they have those on armor right?) and pulling his soul out and adding it to you is what I want. I just realized that sounds a lot like the necromonger ability but it's not that.

Troacctid
2015-01-11, 12:21 PM
Necrocarnate is more or less a whole class built around doing that. You harvest the soul energy of people you kill and add them to your essentia pool. It doesn't literally consume their soul--they can still be resurrected normally IIRC--but it hits the Shang Tsung flavor you're looking for quite well.

Darrin
2015-01-11, 12:54 PM
A weapon made out of thinaun (Complete Warrior) sucks the soul of any creature slain by it into the weapon. However, there's nothing particularly interesting you can do with the soul once it's inside the weapon.

Jack_Simth
2015-01-11, 01:03 PM
A weapon made out of thinaun (Complete Warrior) sucks the soul of any creature slain by it into the weapon. However, there's nothing particularly interesting you can do with the soul once it's inside the weapon.
Correction: The soul of any living creature in contact with it when the creature dies. A very important distinction, and one of the consequences of this is very explicitly spelled out at the top of page 137 in Complete Warrior.

atemu1234
2015-01-11, 02:14 PM
Correction: The soul of any living creature in contact with it when the creature dies. A very important distinction, and one of the consequences of this is very explicitly spelled out at the top of page 137 in Complete Warrior.

Though since dropping something is a free action, it isn't that big a distinction.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-01-11, 02:19 PM
You could fluff exp gain as eating their soul.

This assumes you want to be Soul Eater Evans. >.>

SiuiS
2015-01-11, 03:15 PM
Soul Eater, BoVD.

EDIT: Crap, as a human. You can't do soul eater as a human.

Actually, not so bad. If you're willing to invest, you can set up the class so you only qualify for soul water on a temporary basis. You'll have to "hulk out" and he easiest way is a shape change ability, but it's a good holdover.