PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed More questions about Contingency

AngelOfFaith
2015-01-09, 08:37 PM
Questions. I have them.

OK, so Contingency[PHB 213] is a pretty cool guy.
What can I do with this? Can I use a scroll for the accompanying spell? Can I use a wand or staff? I assume I can cast Contingency from a scroll, can I buy two scrolls - one Contingency and one other and go wild? The PHB only says "You can place another spell upon your person... must be one that affects your person... one-third your caster level". So I guess it shouldn't be an area spell but it's kind of vague for me. The range of Contingency is Personal so I have to cast it myself but can someone else cast the "spell to be brought into effect"? Can it be a non-arcane spell? Can it be psionic?

How about Craft Contingent Spell[CA 77]? It says someone can cast it on me and I need to stay put. But can the creator use scrolls? It's written that the person crafting it has to know it. Does that mean they can't use an item with a spell they know on it? Also on CA 139 it says "If the bearer of a contingent spell is the target of dispel magic, the contingent spell might be permanently dispelled". Can't I just make a contingent for when someone casts Dispel Magic on me in order to counter that?

I'm asking because I'm a fairly paranoid Sorcerer and I'm wondering whether I should take any of them. But spending a 6th lvl spell known slot for a spell I'm going to cast once a week seems daft. And if I take the feat I can only use spells I know and there aren't that many spells I know that can save me in a pinch.

jedipotter
2015-01-09, 09:34 PM
Can I use a scroll for the accompanying spell?

Yes

Can I use a wand or staff?

By RAW, no.

I assume I can cast Contingency from a scroll, can I buy two scrolls - one Contingency and one other and go wild?

Yes.

The PHB only says "You can place another spell upon your person... must be one that affects your person... one-third your caster level". So I guess it shouldn't be an area spell but it's kind of vague for me.

The spell needs to mostly have a range of ''0'' or Touch, or otherwise effect only the caster. It's left vague.

The range of Contingency is Personal so I have to cast it myself but can someone else cast the "spell to be brought into effect"? Can it be a non-arcane spell? Can it be psionic?

No, you must cast the companion spell. It could be a divine spell, if you can cast one. By RAW psionics don't have spells, so you can't use one here.

How about Craft Contingent Spell[CA 77]? It says someone can cast it on me and I need to stay put. But can the creator use scrolls? It's written that the person crafting it has to know it. Does that mean they can't use an item with a spell they know on it? Also on CA 139 it says "If the bearer of a contingent spell is the target of dispel magic, the contingent spell might be permanently dispelled". Can't I just make a contingent for when someone casts Dispel Magic on me in order to counter that?

Scrolls:Yes. Most magic items don't ''cast'' spells, so no. But it will depend a bit.

And, most likely not. A trigger must be an event that effects the caster and that they are aware of, and the spell only knows what the caster knows. And in most cases the caster won't know it's a dispel until they are effected by the spell. And once effected by the spell, it's too late for the trigger to be activated. And that is if ''targeted with a targeted dispel is an allowed trigger''(I would not allow it).

I'm asking because I'm a fairly paranoid Sorcerer and I'm wondering whether I should take any of them. But spending a 6th lvl spell known slot for a spell I'm going to cast once a week seems daft. And if I take the feat I can only use spells I know and there aren't that many spells I know that can save me in a pinch.

The spell/feat has it's uses.

For example: grapple is covered with immediate Freedom of Movement.
Magic Circle Against Evil on a failed save against a compulsion
magic jar when unconscious
Remove Paralysis when paralyzed

illyahr
2015-01-10, 02:18 PM
You can basically use these for any sort of situation you can think of, that's the beauty of the spell.

However, be careful if you aren't running a high-op game. You can only have one contingency effect active at any given time but Craft Contingent Spell has no such stipulation. You could, theoretically, have as many Contingent Spells active as you have time to craft. This generally breaks what little game balance there is in this game as you can have a Contingent Spell active for every situation to the point where you can have multiple effects go off on a single trigger.

Dropped to 1/2 HP? Cast bull's strength, bear's endurance, cat's grace, fox's cunning, eagle's splendor, stoneskin, protection from evil/good/law/chaos and mage armor all at the same time without using any actions. :smallcool:

AngelOfFaith
2015-01-11, 03:24 PM
Yes

By RAW, no.

Why is this? Is it because one is a spell completion item and the other are spell trigger items?

For example: grapple is covered with immediate Freedom of Movement.
Magic Circle Against Evil on a failed save against a compulsion
magic jar when unconscious
Remove Paralysis when paralyzed

I think there was a thread about this already but how do triggered spells that have a target different from you work? If i Contingency a Magic Jar do I have to specify a target and hope it is within range when it triggers or do I choose the target when that happens?

jedipotter
2015-01-11, 03:54 PM
Why is this? Is it because one is a spell completion item and the other are spell trigger items?

That is exactly why. Though this is one of the many check with your DM kinds of things, as some do allow ''any'' spell to be used.

I think there was a thread about this already but how do triggered spells that have a target different from you work? If i Contingency a Magic Jar do I have to specify a target and hope it is within range when it triggers or do I choose the target when that happens?

Well, there is nothing in the rules that covers this. Most people agree that as you have to cast the spell when you put it in a Contingency, you have to make any decisions then. You don't get the effects of casting a spell when the Contingency goes off...the spell just goes off.

Note: Magic Jar always places the casters life force in a crystal/gem (''the magic jar'') first. Then, if the caster wants too, they can choose a target to jump into...if they want too.