PDA

View Full Version : Is the Snarl a Boltzmann brain?

JessmanCA
2015-01-10, 02:54 AM
Forgive me but my OotS history often fails me, though I have read them all and some of the books.

Did the Snarl sort of coalesce out of chaos on its own like a theorized Boltzmann brain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

Or did the gods create it, or something else?

SirKazum
2015-01-10, 06:55 AM
Both, kinda. It was unintentionally created by the gods as a result of their bickering. Or maybe it coalesced out of a chaos infused with hateful divine energy. In any event (if we believe Shojo's story), it appeared on its own, but the gods were definitely involved.

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-01-10, 12:01 PM
If Shojo's story is accurate, the Snarl was formed when the divine threads that make up the world tangled together as a result of the gods' arguments. With each argument, the Snarl grew more complex and more intelligent. So, I think characterizing it as a Boltzmann brain is inaccurate.

Lombard
2015-01-10, 02:41 PM
I think you're just using a portion of the Boltzmann brain concept. While the concept does indeed propose a self-aware entity that arises out of the chaos of randominity, the concept also includes the paradox that such an entity will tend to observe an unusual degree of order since that was the requirement for it to randomly arise in the first place. We also aren't able to attribute the existence of the Snarl to randominity, as it's not clear whether it just happened to arise or was- in the OoTs-verse- an inevitable consequence of the existence of a certain level of coexisting paradoxes.