PDA

View Full Version : Roy vs Zombie Dragon

hamishspence
2007-04-01, 10:11 AM
I would say that this situation would be a houseruled one rather than a standard grappling one. My reasons are as follows:

1: You can't initiate a grapple against something 2 sizes bigger than you.
2: While grappling, you can't move unless you succeed at a grappling check. Plummeting dragon, anyone?
3: It's a zombie dragon! 1 action per round, so can't move and grapple at same time!

So, I would treat it as an object, since it can't move and do anything else. So Roy is making a Jump check to land on dragon (climb check to hang on, since he didn't land on top of it, Balance once he is on top of it.) Ride only comes once he's astride it.

In most difficult situations, one should houserule it if there is no obvious existing rule.

Threeshades
2007-04-01, 11:44 AM
you are merely trying to explain with wich rules he is holding on to the dragon, do i see that right?

its surely a situation where the DM needs to decide how to do it. I'd say a climb or maybe just a strength check.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-01, 03:10 PM
well i'm saying since D&D grappling involves attacking i'm thinking instead of grappling the dragon he's climbing the dragon. What the dc is to climbing a dragon i dunno.

Jawajoey
2007-04-01, 06:39 PM
Whatever the saves in question are, Roy appears to have succeeded in them, which is good enough for the sake of the story.