PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Monk Quick-Fix: Add Bard Casting of Self-Buffing Spells (PEACH, Genius/Stupid)

johnbragg
2015-01-10, 10:50 AM
Consider the poor Tier 5 Monk. The Monk "fluff" is mind-over-matter, that mental discipline pays off physically.

So what if you take that fluff seriously in terms of D&D 3.5 "physics" and let monks cast self-buffing spells? Since I'm all about the quick-fix, let's say we use the Bard casting progression for spell slots and spells known, casting off of Wisdom.

Self-buffing either makes the monk a competent melee combatant, or adds plenty of out-of-combat utility. Does that get the Monk into Tier 3? Raise him to the top of Tier 5? Tier 4?

There are less than 30 self-buffing spells in the SRD by my count, so we're not that far from a fixed-list caster.

(The class is still practically invalidated by the existence of the Monk's Belt, but I think that's mostly a problem with the Monk's Belt)

So, genius or stupid?

Deepbluediver
2015-01-22, 01:09 PM
The problem with quick-fixes is that they tend not to address the huge variety of issues certain classes have or the depth of the problems with them.There's nothing inherently wrong with gestalting classes a bit, but somehow spellcasting just feel wrong for the monk IMO.
If you're focusing mainly on passive buffs, why not just make them auras instead?

In terms of judging power, merely patching some of the monk's melee-combat deficiencies would bring him up to tier-4, at most, and a weak tier-4 at that, since he's still armor-less, limited in weapon selection, and feat-starved.

When I tried to "fix" the monk, I basically rebuilt the entire class from the ground up. It works, I think, but it's by no means quick or simple. If you're curious though, you can find the link in my extended signature.

Zaydos
2015-01-22, 01:27 PM
Define self-buffing spells. Do you just mean any spell with a personal range and a buff effect? Do you mean any single target spell with a buff effect?

I'd say you want to go through and make an actual spell list based primarily off of Transmutation (maybe Divination as well) with a few clerical Evocation effects (Divine Power) and make them either used as Spell-like Abilities or look at Psionics instead of magic and make a psionic monk.

johnbragg
2015-01-22, 09:32 PM
Define self-buffing spells. Do you just mean any spell with a personal range and a buff effect? Do you mean any single target spell with a buff effect?

I'd say you want to go through and make an actual spell list based primarily off of Transmutation (maybe Divination as well) with a few clerical Evocation effects (Divine Power) and make them either used as Spell-like Abilities or look at Psionics instead of magic and make a psionic monk.

Self-buffing spells have a range of "Self" or "Touch" and increase the target's abilities in some way.

0 Level
Cure Minor Wounds
Detect Magic, Detect Poison,
Guidance, Resistance, Virtue
Read Magic
Know Direction

1st Level--29 spells in the SRD, many of which would be weak choices for one of your few spells (auras, mantras koans etc) known
Bless
Comprehend Languages
Cure Light Wounds
Detect Evil/Good/Law/Chaos, Undead, SEcret Doors, Animals and Plants, Snares and Pits
Divine Favor
Endure Elements
Entropic Shield
Hide From Undead
Protection from Evil/Good/Chaos/Law
Remove Fear
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith
Shield
Mage Armor
True Strike
Disguise Self
Enlarge/REduce Person
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Jump
Longstrider
Magic Fang
Pass Without Trace
Speak With Animals

2nd level
Aid
Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor
Cure Moderate Wounds
Delay Poison
Find Traps
Remove Paralysis
Resist Energy
Lesser Restoration
Undetectable Alignment
Protection from Arrows
Detect Thoughts
Locate Object
See Invisibility
Blur