PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

questionmark693
2015-01-10, 02:43 PM
So there's an alternate system in UA for qualifying for a prestige class-basically just make skill checks that are easy at level one. So bearing that in mind, I'm looking at Archivist 1/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 10/X 8. Do you guys think that can become worth it? Or maybe do the same thing but as a wizard/druid, using lost tradition and getting dual ninths? I'm expected to pick up some slack with healing, and druids get vigor, so i think thats doable....what are your thoughts?

RenaldoS
2015-01-10, 03:19 PM
This is 100% up to your DM and you should talk to him/her about it. Doubly so since you are proposing to use a variant rule which is the purview of the DM.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-10, 03:39 PM
I'd say using a rule to slap together some Tier 1 classes should really depend on the rest of your party, through Mystic Theurge is...Meh in my opinion.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-01-10, 03:44 PM
...Isn't Archivist an arcane caster that can learn spells from divine lists?

atemu1234
2015-01-10, 03:48 PM
...Isn't Archivist an arcane caster that can learn spells from divine lists?

Nope. Purely divine.

questionmark693
2015-01-10, 05:10 PM
The dm has asked me try to be too powerful, and has specifically oked these build ideas...im just wondering if its better to do these, or a straight druid or archivist build (because I have to help keep up with the healing)

eggynack
2015-01-10, 05:32 PM
Out of the theurge builds, I'd go for the wizard/druid, because of arcane hierophant. Class features are nice, even if they're relatively minor, and the fact that you don't top off at ten total theurge levels is a good thing. As for overall power level comparison, I think theurge and not-theurge builds are roughly comparable assuming early entry. You gain a bunch, but a caster level is obviously a big deal, and losing out on class features from some prestige classes can be a real downside. I'd tend towards the non-theurge, personally, both because I like accessing higher level spells faster, and because I sometimes enjoy approximating an out of class spell in class.

sideswipe
2015-01-11, 07:21 AM
have you considered, wizard 10/ ur priest 2/ mystic theurge 8?

dual 9ths at level 20, rebuke undead for divine meta magic, etc. its not perfect but hey.

there are ways to juggle it so that by level 14/15 you have 9ths divine and 7ths arcane and later gain 9ths arcane a level or 2 after normal.