PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Renaissance/Punky Campaign

WannabeWallaby
2015-01-10, 03:16 PM
Hey folks!

I'm attempting to write my first full-scale campaign after playing for a bit over a decade, and I really want to run a Forgotten Realms campaign because of all the intrigue and the awesome source books available. The thing is, I want to flavor it a bit. I love the Renaissance era, and I really like some of the artistry in the later Final Fantasy games (magepunk-type stuff, almost Eberron-esque). I'm wondering how I can keep my players engaged in replicating that feel, as opposed to the typical Medieval feel that most of D&D has. I'm pretty sure I can manage my end.

Additionally, I want this to be sort of large-scale and global. The high seas, the deserts, the huge cities, etc. Can anybody direct me to some basic advice on designing plots for such a scale?

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-10, 03:37 PM
Don't do a Renaissance game. As in, the Renaissance was sorta a big deal in a few different places. I'd focus on one to really get the feel of it. I think FR is modelling the first era of it but I don't really know.

As for the players...Firstly, talk to them. Describe cool things they can fight or use that really bring this feeling forth. Find artwork and show them. Ask them what concepts of this type they'd like and work with them. Don't be afraid to bribe them. They want a Warforged? Make sure it is balanced, but now there's a warforged swashbuckler. If they have outside interests (Final Fantasy and history come to mind) then connect this world to their own interests.

In the game, describe things. Give life to cities and this technology. Tie the setting to the plots they find. Have NPCs interact with them that can show them this stuff. Have them rescue an old lady who is a magitech engineer who decides to make them new nifty things.

EDIT: To give yourself some breathing room, give your players the FR material. Ask them what THEIR favorite region is, and go from there. Its bribery that means you have to prepare 1 region at first while you do the first few sessions of them meeting up and the like.

WannabeWallaby
2015-01-10, 07:45 PM
Honest Tiefling,

Thanks! This really helps a lot. What do you mean by "don't do a Renaissance game" though? Sorry, just not quite getting what you mean given the rest of your post. Do you mean don't call it Renaissance, or what?

EDIT: Never mind, I was being slow. I got it. Thanks!