PDA

View Full Version : If you had a flying mount...

Guran
2015-01-10, 06:13 PM
Today I held a session zero for a campaign I am starting. (5e) In this campaign, the players are sky knights of a powerfull empire and start out with a flying mount because I agreed with myself that it would be awesome. Now I have plenty of ideas offcourse, but I want to be sure not to miss any golden opportunities. So, if your DM became insane enough to have all of you start out with a flying mount, what is the one thing you would absolutely want to do with it? And please don't say you want to eat it.

Vereshti
2015-01-10, 07:33 PM
Interesting. What species is the flying mount? Is it intelligent?

The first thing would be to establish rapport with my mount. If you're going to ride a flying steed, you definitely want to be on friendly terms with it. A training scene might be a good way to establish a bond, as well as show off the tactics of aerial cavalry. What sort of tactics would they be? How would the aerial cavalry interact with the rest of the armed forces - are they skirmishers? Scouts? Shock troops? There are so many awesome things you can do with this idea!

Forrestfire
2015-01-10, 07:44 PM
If I had a choice of anything, I'd want a magic carpet, a broomstick, or some sort of magitech hoverbike. Preferably with it also being an intelligent item of some sort. If only because they first two are classics and the latter is cool.

In the realms of living things, I've always been partial to the more snakey flying dragons, and also griffons.

I'd use them to be an awesome skyknight of some sort, with a bow or a lance.

golentan
2015-01-10, 08:53 PM
Slip the surly bonds of earth and invest in a bow or ranged cantrip.

Seriously, I'd fly everywhere, I'd spend all my time playing with and building rapport with my mount, and I would never venture into dungeons or other scenarios where I'd be cut off from my mount unless I had to.

Also, if this is a big thing you have to reevaluate fortifications in your world. A castle keep's most secure location is no longer the top of the central tower, and combat is likely to be quick, ranged, and lightly armored (a suit of full plate is more of a hindrance to a personal flying mount than it is a boon to its wearer, especially since a single arrow striking a mount too weighed down to evade might send the knight tumbling to her death regardless of how much metal she wraps herself in).

Coidzor
2015-01-10, 09:30 PM
Well, I suppose I'd want to use it for overland travel, get things off of high shelves or off the tops of pillars in outdoor/open areas, and occasionally fly around doing mounted archery with something big and nasty that can throw rocks or something, hoping to do enough damage to distract it from murdering a town to bits or something.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-11, 01:33 AM
Flying parade! Bow to me and my fabulous mount, you earthbound peasants! Bow down, I say! ...I'd probably also need to buy some really impressive barding as well. And I need a groomer, I have knightly things to do.

jaydubs
2015-01-11, 02:46 AM
I'd train it to take part in all sorts of maneuvers and tactics only possible with a flying mount. Daring escapes (like the pickup scene from Batman Begins). Flashy entrances (suddenly bursting into a high tower window atop a griffon). Aerial passes while dropping lit grenades. You get the idea.

I'd also add in a lot of fighter pilot fluff. A squad name, a call sign, a wingman, etc. Probably draw some inspiration from Top Gun. Really invest in some esprit de corps. I mean, cavalry tends to be fairly elite troops in many armies. Flying cavalry... :smallcool:

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-11, 03:16 AM
Since you didn't specify what the mount is I can only assume that it's a Lillend and I would make out with it.

Rater202
2015-01-11, 03:18 AM
I'm quite partial to the idea of an Arcanist raining death down upon his enemies while riding on the back of a young(Read, Horse Sized) dragon.

The Idea of a brave Knight riding upon the back of a pegasus or Hippogriff also appeals to me.

Griffons not so much-read the stories, they's evil little bastards. Still, a Barbarian riding a griffon he beet the crap out of and thus befriended has merit.

And of course, an Elven archer on the back of a giant eagle is a majestic sight to see.

Tarvus
2015-01-11, 04:20 AM
I'd want some chances to lord my flight over the poor ground-bound mooks. Some literally air cavalry versus infantry warfare is always good fun. As a bonus, after they've had their fun, you can turn it around later as their enemies adapt. And nothing says "We've adapted" better than being met on sight with a cloud of arrows.

In the same vein, Air-to-Air combat. Meeting your opposite numbers amongst the enemy. If you ride Griffons maybe they ride wyverns. Its a bit cliche but rivalry can be fun.

Other than that, if they're animals or otherwise intelligent, a chance to customize them at least or even flesh them out as supporting characters. Even something as simple as a miniquest to find a smith to buy barding or having a quirk like always biting their rider when they try to take of their favourite blanket moves it from game mechanic to cherished NPC companion.

Guran
2015-01-11, 05:17 AM
Since you didn't specify what the mount is I can only assume that it's a Lillend and I would make out with it.
Ok, hold that thought. Now just to prevent me from ruining your fantasy, stop reading right here.

Interesting. What species is the flying mount? Is it intelligent?

The first thing would be to establish rapport with my mount. If you're going to ride a flying steed, you definitely want to be on friendly terms with it. A training scene might be a good way to establish a bond, as well as show off the tactics of aerial cavalry. What sort of tactics would they be? How would the aerial cavalry interact with the rest of the armed forces - are they skirmishers? Scouts? Shock troops? There are so many awesome things you can do with this idea!

I gave the players three options to choose from. A pegasus, a wyvern or a griffon. Now normally - at least according to the RAW - these creatures are not really at the same power level. However, there is nothing a bit of tweaking can't help. I gave each mount a little something to stand out for the players so I think each one has its charms as it is right now.
The mounts have all been trained to serve. They are part of an imperial order of knights, so they won't be trying to bite their riders' head off, unless they are being mind controlled or killed and then resurrected as zombies. In later parts of the campaign I might introduce newer, more exotic mounts. (No, not a lillend)

And there is a griffon - wyvern rivalry? Maybe I should throw that in as a little healthy strive between order members who ride wyverns and the ones who plow through the sky upon a griffon.

Flying parade! Bow to me and my fabulous mount, you earthbound peasants! Bow down, I say! ...I'd probably also need to buy some really impressive barding as well. And I need a groomer, I have knightly things to do.
Offcourse the order has its own Q department, always developing new armor and tools to make the mounts more awesome. That is offcourse until the order is outlawed for murdering the emperor and the characters have to flee.

golentan
2015-01-11, 05:25 AM
Why would anyone ever pick anything other than a wyvern?

LOVE wyverns.

Guran
2015-01-11, 05:32 AM

LOVE wyverns.

Because bronies excist:smallbiggrin:

golentan
2015-01-11, 05:37 AM
Because bronies excist:smallbiggrin:

I know, I am one. Still, given a choice between a pegasus and wyvern, unless I can request fluttershy I'm going with the one that looks like a dragon.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-11, 06:07 AM
To bad Asperii aren't an option, or hippogriffs.

As to the original question, I would want to set up a number of inaccessible aiere waystations radiating outword from the central base.

Vitruviansquid
2015-01-11, 06:57 AM

LOVE wyverns.

But if you don't have a pegasus, how can you fly up to Mount Olympus and laugh in the gods' faces?

golentan
2015-01-11, 07:04 AM
But if you don't have a pegasus, how can you fly up to Mount Olympus and laugh in the gods' faces?

On the back of several tons of pissed off, venomous lizard!

Coidzor
2015-01-11, 07:13 AM
The main reason to pick a pegasus over a wyvern would be for the speed difference in most cases I'm familiar with the beasties.

To bad Asperii aren't an option, or hippogriffs.

Huh. Never heard of Asperii before. Horses made out of cold air? That's neat.

goto124
2015-01-11, 07:17 AM
Huh. Never heard of Asperii before. Horses made out of cold air? That's neat.

Also keeps your butt cool!

Studoku
2015-01-11, 10:49 AM
Coincidentally, I just watched How to Train Your Dragon.

Jay R
2015-01-11, 02:08 PM
Besides fighting mounted, my ranger uses his giant owl even when fighting on the ground. The owl can divebomb an unsuspecting opponent, or watch for ambushes or other enemies.

Othniel
2015-01-11, 02:53 PM
In my most recent Pathfinder campaign (that just ended), I was playing a Shining Knight archetype Paladin (Lancer build) with a Griffon mount. I was hoping for some aerial combat, but that never happened. The funniest thing I got to do with it was have the Griffon take Hover (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/hover), whereupon it commenced to kick up a cloud of debris right around my fellow party members fighting below. Concealment for the win!

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-11, 05:21 PM
Ok, hold that thought. Now just to prevent me from ruining your fantasy, stop reading right here.

I gave the players three options to choose from. A pegasus, a wyvern or a griffon. Now normally - at least according to the RAW - these creatures are not really at the same power level. However, there is nothing a bit of tweaking can't help. I gave each mount a little something to stand out for the players so I think each one has its charms as it is right now.
The mounts have all been trained to serve. They are part of an imperial order of knights, so they won't be trying to bite their riders' head off, unless they are being mind controlled or killed and then resurrected as zombies. In later parts of the campaign I might introduce newer, more exotic mounts. (No, not a lillend)

And there is a griffon - wyvern rivalry? Maybe I should throw that in as a little healthy strive between order members who ride wyverns and the ones who plow through the sky upon a griffon.

Offcourse the order has its own Q department, always developing new armor and tools to make the mounts more awesome. That is offcourse until the order is outlawed for murdering the emperor and the characters have to flee.

Ok then obviously I'm picking the Wyvern and I'm gonna make out with it.

goto124
2015-01-11, 07:19 PM
Ok then obviously I'm picking the Wyvern and I'm gonna make out with it.

I don't think that's what we meant by 'mounting'.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-11, 08:03 PM
I think the real factor that should be influencing decisions is not which one is faster or better, but which one can be made to be far more impressive looking.

The Griffon/Wyvern thing is interesting. You should put that in. Perhaps the argument is because one type of monster has a nasty habit of eating trainers or breaking out. The mechanically superior one, of course. Or, they back different nobles. They could also be from different parts of the empire who do not get along.

Guran
2015-01-12, 04:08 PM
I think the real factor that should be influencing decisions is not which one is faster or better, but which one can be made to be far more impressive looking.

The Griffon/Wyvern thing is interesting. You should put that in. Perhaps the argument is because one type of monster has a nasty habit of eating trainers or breaking out. The mechanically superior one, of course. Or, they back different nobles. They could also be from different parts of the empire who do not get along.

Yeah and then the pegasus riders looking down upon that silly rivalry because they are above it. And as we are usually a very roleplay heavy group, I expect most mount choices are made by preference and suiting to the character.

And yes, there will be aerial battles. Not sure yet how I'm exactly going to do them.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-12, 04:30 PM
And yes, there will be aerial battles. Not sure yet how I'm exactly going to do them.

With UMD and wands, of course. :smile:

Lord Torath
2015-01-12, 04:36 PM
If the group is all from the same unit, they should probably all have the same kind of mount. The Pegasus could be used for scouting, the Griffons for light cavalry and the wyverns for heavy cavalry (or vice-versa if you are so inclined, or even both in the same role, and provides plenty of fodder for the rivalry). On the other hand, if the "unit" is a selection of the "best" put together to do commando-type work, feel free to let them have different types.

I also favor giving each mount some perks and quirks - the 2E DMG had some horse traits that might fit. Sparhawk's mount, Faran, was particularly bad tempered, but still got along alright with his rider (as his contribution to the festivities, Faran managed to step on both Sparhawk's feet at the same time when he tried to mount). Keladry's mount, Peachblossom, was also pretty bad tempered, and particularly loved the squawk Kel's friend Neal made when bitten. Complaining if not being able to bring a favorite blanket along is just perfect. And unless there's a reason not to, let each player decide the particulars of his or her mount's appearance - palmetto pegasus, tiger-golden eagle griffon, blue-green wyvern, etc. Purely cosmetic and personality things, though.

gom jabbarwocky
2015-01-12, 10:57 PM

Hell. Yes. Dogfights are awesome! Frankly, there is no game I can think of that can't be improved by dramatic mid-air action and WWII-style dogfighting. Sword & sorcery, space opera, urban fantasy, detective noir, conspiracy thriller, cyberpunk, Lovecraftian horror, erotic dating sim, nothing.