PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pact of the Coven (Warlock)

mictrepanier
2015-01-10, 08:36 PM
Would you please evaluate this feature as a warlock pact ? And do you think a witch may be another name for a warlock ?

Pact of the Coven

Your patron offer you way to stride distances fast to attain ceremonies with other warlocks. Folklore call these warlocks witches.

You can materialize then straddle to fly on a an implement to ride on, like a stick, a broom, a pitchfork. Your flight speed is 60 feet, but you have very poor maneuverability (you cannot fly in enclosed spaces or make tight turns). Flying in this manner is clumsy, and you cannot cast a spell, make an attack or maintain any spell which requires concentration while flying. If you take any damage while flying, you must immediately use your reaction to make a Dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to damage taken to avoid falling off (if you don’t have a reaction left, you automatically fall off). For these reasons, flying in combat is very dangerous. Invocations may greatly improve your flight.

-------------------------------

Invocation

Flight (prer 18th level, pact of the flight)

Flight spell at will

inspiration: BMCDaniel at www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?401243-Witch-Class/

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-10, 09:05 PM
Pact of the Coven, possibly? Alternately, pact of the Circle.

I like the idea of traditional witches being Warlocks. They even have Hex as a cantrip!

Also might want to tag this thread as 5e.

mictrepanier
2015-01-10, 09:09 PM
Updated. Do you think this pact correct, under or over powered ? And the subsequent invocation ? Since it make the pact itself obsolete, I guess it should at a lower level than expected for a 3rd level spell at will. 12th as per pact of blade stonecap invocation ?

demonickin0
2015-01-12, 11:55 AM
Flying has always been something in DnD that I have noticed is something they don't like to hand out. Flight has only been broken when the entire party can fly haha. From personal experience DMing and playing, players that can fly any way they want makes Side-quests super easy, because it basically becomes fast travel while the rest of the party does a dungeon or something, but in my opinion spending my Pact on flight isn't necessarily worth it, maybe if they could manifest the Broom or something, or maybe even a non-combative flying mount, that would be pretty bad ass. Also, I would optionally add feather fall if they fall from this mount. Just because Tome and Bladelock are already amazing, you have a lot to compete with.

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-12, 01:41 PM
I'd actually be in favor of expanding this from a Pact to a full-blown Patron, because then we can have our ritual books and our magic brooms. Also that lets us put a few Druid spells on the Warlock list (to match the flavor of a witch dwelling in the forest, etc), and possibly make the flight scaling in power (and thus better balanced across levels).