PDA

View Full Version : [FATE Accelerated] Rules-Lite Pokemon

Thomar_of_Uointer
2015-01-11, 10:51 AM
I'm worried that if I got into too much detail on these it will bog things down. FAE is a simple system, and I'd like to keep it that way.

FATE Pokemon

This document outlines how to use the FATE Accelerated rules to run a pokemon-based tabletop RPG. It's expected that the reader is already familiar with the FATE Accelerated rules. http://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

1) New Rules

1a) Aspect Types
Every aspect has one type associated with it (such as Normal, Fire, Grass, Water, etc.) This applies to setting aspects, trainer aspects, pokemon aspects, and even situational aspects. Whenever an aspect is invoked and it seems like its type would make it advantageous given the current aspects in play, the invoke's effect is increased. The invoke grants a +3 bonus instead of +2, or it can be used to only reroll some fate dice instead of all the dice.
When in doubt, use the Normal type.
Optional Rule: If you go look at a pokemon strategy guide or the finely-curated Bulbapedia, there's this big complicated type effectiveness chart with over three hundred entries on it. You can use that chart for the above rule if you really care about that kind of thing.
1b) Hit Points
Hit points are a replacement for the stress track. Pokemon and trainers start with 4 hit points. Each time you fail a Defense roll against an Attack action, reduce your character's hit point total by the number of shifts. If your hit point total is reduced to 0 or less, you are unable to take anymore actions for the rest of the scene. At the end of each scene your trainer's hit points are restored to full, but your pokemons' hit points aren't restored until you visit a pokemon center or at the end of a minor milestone. At the end of minor milestone you may reduce your trainer's refresh by 1 to increase your hit points maximum by 2.
In nonviolent situations you may want to call them "Stress Points" instead.

2) Making Your Region (5 setting aspects)

It is highly recommended that you base your region off of the part of the country you live in. Come up with a name based on its history, or steal a cool name from a nearby county.

2a) Geography Aspect
2b) Seasonal/Climate Aspect
2c) People/Cultural Aspect
2d) Government/Technology Aspect
2e) Troublemakers Aspect

It's recommended that your troublemakers be "saturday morning cartoon villains". Thieves don't want to kill you or your pokemon because that would raise things to a felony and get them in trouble with law enforcement. Eco-terrorists don't want to kill you or your pokemon because they believe deep down you're a good person, they just want to inconvenience you so that you "wake up to the truth". They should show up once per scenario, but they don't have to play a major or defining role all the time.

3) Making The Current Town (3 setting aspects)

3a) Industry/Business Aspect
3b) Gym Leader Aspect
3c) Current Event Aspect

4) Making Your Trainer (standard approaches, 3 character aspects, standard refresh and stunts, 4 hit points, 1 mild and 1 moderate consequence)

It is recommended that you keep your stunts within the bounds of "because I'm a ___ I get +2 to rolls when I ___", even if your character has supernatural abilities or specialized pokemon training.

5) Making Your Pokemon (2 pokemon, 2 character aspects, 4 hit points, 1 mild and 1 moderate consequence)

Pokemon use their trainer's approaches. Pokemon do not have stunts or refresh, but they can benefit from their trainer's stunts and fate points. Pokemon heal hit points differently from their trainers, as described in 1b. Each pokemon has a mild consequence (which is cleared at the end of each scene) and a moderate consequence

6) Advancement

6a) Training And Milestones
Any improvement you can make to your character can be made to one of your pokemon instead. Gaining a new aspect is a significant event for a pokemon, likely related to learning a unique move or evolving.
6b) Catching A Pokemon
Catching a pokemon is a use of the Overcome action. The GM should set the target number based on the pokemon's remaining hit points, rarity, and anything else that might matter. If you fail your roll by 2 or more, the pokemon gains a boost. If you fail to catch a pokemon at 0 hit points, it regains 1 hit point and acts immediately.
6c) New Pokemon
Whenever you achieve a significant milestone, you can reduce your refresh by 1 and spend your downtime training a new pokemon you have caught. You can still use a caught pokemon without properly training it, but it gains the Untrained And Wild aspect with two free compels per scene for the GM.