PDA

View Full Version : What abilities will Elan gain from the dashing swordsman class?

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-01, 01:31 PM
We already know all the business with the puns, but what other skills will he gain?

Perhaps bonuses on bluff or sleight of hand checks? Or maybe he won't get a penalty on improvised weapons?

melchizedek
2007-04-01, 01:36 PM
Why would improvised weapons get involved? It's the dashing swordsman prestige class.

Possibly something similiar to the Grace bonus to reflex saves that the swashbuckler gets. He might get to apply his charisma bonus to saving throws.

Gaelbert
2007-04-01, 01:56 PM
Maybe bonuses to charisma based skills, such as diplomacy. Dashing Swordsman seems to be based on charisma

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-01, 02:02 PM
Why would improvised weapons get involved? It's the dashing swordsman prestige class.

But what dashing hero doesn't know how to fight the villain off using a bit of wood until he can recover his sword?

Green Bean
2007-04-01, 02:08 PM
Well, if I know narrative causality (and I know narrative causality), the class abilities could include

-reduced falling damage
-bonus to diplomacy and bluff checks while interacting with the opposite gender
-can make a special save against fatal damage (i.e. anything that would kill the Swordsman)
-low grade Protection from Arrows spell active at all times

Vespe Ratavo
2007-04-01, 02:10 PM
Maybe at tenth level he gains the ability to call upon the Awesome Power of the Deus Ex Machina. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina)

brian c
2007-04-01, 02:13 PM
Well, if I know narrative causality (and I know narrative causality), the class abilities could include

-reduced falling damage
-can make a special save against fatal damage (i.e. anything that would kill the Swordsman)

if that last one is the case, then Roy's gonna feel dumb for pushing him out of the way of those arrows

Legendary
2007-04-01, 02:24 PM
Or perhaps Roy was affected by the spell and protected Elan. :smallbiggrin:

PirateMonk
2007-04-01, 02:24 PM
1. Should this be [spoiler]?
2. Probably the ability to apply his Charisma bonus to all sorts of things. And Inigo Montoya-style Catch Phrase Immortality: You can not die or fall unconscious from low HP due to a BBEG if you continually spout the same line.

Kaerou
2007-04-01, 03:34 PM
Inspire Monologue [ex]
The Dashing swordsman is able to get an enemy villain of above average standing to stand still and monologue on a successful diplomacy or bluff check vs a DC equal to the enemies CR+5. The monologue gives the opponent a 50% chance to fail to act each turn as per the curse spell as they reveal their dastardly plans to the Dashing Swordsman.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-01, 06:00 PM
Inspire Monologue [ex]
The Dashing swordsman is able to get an enemy villain of above average standing to stand still and monologue on a successful diplomacy or bluff check vs a DC equal to the enemies CR+5. The monologue gives the opponent a 50% chance to fail to act each turn as per the curse spell as they reveal their dastardly plans to the Dashing Swordsman.

Does the curse spell break when you attack them? I think this should break when you attack the villain since not even the villain with the lowest possible wisdom is going to stand still and talk about his plan while you are stabbing him or her.

Also I wonder what the requirements for the prestige class are. I would think you would need some skills in taunt and maybe weapon focus with the rapier.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-01, 06:04 PM
if that last one is the case, then Roy's gonna feel dumb for pushing him out of the way of those arrows

But maybe Elan isn't high enough level in the prestige class to get that yet.

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-01, 06:10 PM
I've yet to see the Carve Initial feat, or Remove Dress with Rapier, or Dramatic Entrance theme (Works like a bard song, activated whenever swinging through a window), or even Fight Left-handed With As Much Skill As The Right (If anyone says Ambidexterity I banish you to Not-Getting-The-Reference-Hell). TBH he's not even trying. I've yet to see a witty parlance between him and another accomplished swordsman, and that should be on the dashing swordsman prereq list.

NeonRonin
2007-04-01, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking at higher levels, a Dashing Swordsman gains the Supernatural ability: U Can't Touch This. Gives the Swordsman at least a +4 Deflection bonus against monsters and NPCs that are four or more hit dice- or character levels- lower than he is. (It still gives them a chance to hit, but it's a big longshot... think the security officers trying to shoot Neo in the first Matrix film, and missing horribly. Only Agent Smith got him- because they were close in levels/hit dice.)

Querzis
2007-04-01, 09:58 PM
I Wont Lose

Require 6 level in dashing swordsman.

If the dashing swordsman was defeated or even killed by a stronger single opponent, he can do a speech about is determination and how he cannot lose now. If the speech fail (DC 15 based on charisma) then the opponent just laugh and say «you are weak» before he kill the dashing sworsdman.

If the speech succeed, the dashing sworsman is able to launch a powerfull attack that automatically deal 80 damage to his target, even if he wasnt able to hit him before. You cannot evade or make any save against a succesfull I Wont Lose. If the opponent is killed, the dashing swordsman is healed for some reason but if the dashing swordsman didnt killed him, the opponent coup de grace the dashing swordsman and say : «You were a worthy opponent».

Summon Old Friend

Require 8 level in dashing swordsman

After a failed I Wont Lose or a successfull I Wont Lose that didnt killed the dashing swordsman target, the dashing swordsman can scream the name of a party member or any other friendly PC. If the scream fails (DC 15 based on charisma) the dashing swordsman just die like he was supposed to (see I Wont Lose for more informations).

If the scream is succesfull, the ally appear from nowhere to save the dashing swordsman. After screaming, the dashing swordsman stay on the ground and cant attack or move even though he is conscious. As long as your ally and the opponent are fighting, the dashing swordsman cant be healed or hurt by anyone or anything. If the ally defeat the opponent, then the dashing swordsman is healed for some reasons. If the ally was killed or defeated by the opponent, then the dashing swordsman block the coup de grace with his body and tell is ally to run in his last breath. The ally is automatically back to 10 hp and must run away. The opponent cant run after the dashing swordsman ally for the next 30 turns for some reason.

Kamikaze

Require 10 level in dashing swordsman

The dashing swordsman do a speech about how hes going to kill his opponent even if he die. If the speech fails (DC 20 based on charisma) nothing happen. If the speech succeed, the dashing swordsman and his target kill each other and they cant be revived for some reason (see Grom Hellscream for more informations).

Trilo
2007-04-01, 10:17 PM

-reduced falling damage

Those are brilliant.

pirateshow
2007-04-01, 10:26 PM
As a professional theatrical swashbuckler myself, I submit that the Dashing Swordsman can probably:
-ride down sails or large curtains with a dagger
-Summon up a bit of his opponent's history (bardic knowledge-style) and sue it in his repartee, stunning the villain for just.. long... enough!
-and he possibly gets the ability to always have a sword at hand on a successful Charisma check. Any buckler worth his swash can, in a pinch, pull a serviceable blade out from a coat of arms or umbrella stand.

kpenguin
2007-04-02, 12:05 AM
Female Companion (Ex.)
At (x) level, a Dashing Swordsman gets a female sidekick to fight alongside him, flirt, and eventually make out with at a dramatic moment (usually right after/before fighting BBEG)

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 12:20 AM
He'll pretty much get to use CHA in place of every other modifier, ever.

Yes, even his swim checks will be affected.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-02, 12:27 AM
Female Companion (Ex.)
At (x) level, a Dashing Swordsman gets a female sidekick to fight alongside him, flirt, and eventually make out with at a dramatic moment (usually right after/before fighting BBEG)

But could Haley hold down two jobs at once like that? :smallconfused:

Just going with established DnD powers, he may get:

Acrobatic Charge
Some sort of Re-roll ability
Evasion (unlikely)
Cha bonus to attack
Weapon Focus (Rapier) (Bonus Feat)
Parry a la Duelist PrC (or something, I'm not sure what it's called)
Cha bonus to AC

Kreistor
2007-04-02, 12:41 AM
I created a Dashing Swashbuckler class for a player of mine who really liked Elan's Dashing Swordsman. I modelled it on Elan, of course.

I included an ability called, "Conveniently Placed Rope 1/day". This ability, gained at 3rd level, plaes a rope or rope-like item in the encounter that can be used for dramatic purpose. (It can't be used to get across an undefended pit, for instance, but it could be used to swing down to a lower floor to catch a fleeing villain.)

Green Bean
2007-04-02, 03:47 AM
Improved Comeback: A Dashing Swordsman can only be 'quipped' by another Dashing Swordsman of equal or higher level

Final Words: A Dashing Swordsman can remain conscious and speak normally while at negative HP. All other effects of unconsciousness apply

The Bigger They Are...: A Dashing Swordsman gets a +2 bonus to all attack rolls, as well as a +2 bonus to AC and saves when singlehandedly fighting an opponent of higher ECL

factotum
2007-04-02, 04:04 AM
Surely any Dashing Swordsman should also get a +2 circumstance bonus for fighting on a staircase or on a dining table. :smallsmile:

Threeshades
2007-04-02, 06:21 AM
I think he will also get a bonus on wooing individuals of the opposite sex.

And yes something that involves swinging around on a rope.

Strategos
2007-04-02, 07:27 AM
Perhaps the Cheat Death ability, the the Death Delver PrC from Heroes of Horror? That is auto-passing the fort saves against being killed outright from coup-de-grace and massive damage. Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge would be theme in well as well. I also agree with giving the Dashing Swordsman Acrobatic Charge.

What about these abilities as well? (I'm not used to Homebrewing so I apologise in advance if my language in them are a little clunky.)

Sense Dramatic Moment (Ex) Beginning at 1st level, the Dashing Swordsman can sense events of a dramatic/theatrical manner. If anything suitably dramatic happens within 100 feet of the Dashing Swordsman he is entitled to a DC 15 Charisma check to determine its location and distance.

Dramatic Enterance (Ex) At 5th level the Dashing Swordsman becomes a master of using the environment and his equipment to full effect while moving in a dramatic fashion. The Dashing Swordsman can always take 10 on the following skill uses as long as they are used in a suitably dramatic fashion: Escape Artist, Jump, Ride, Tumble and Use Rope. At 10th level he can choose to automatically count as rolling a 15 on these checks. This is the same as taking 10, except the number is 15.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-02, 08:18 AM
Plot Hole: If no one is able to see him the dashing swordsman gains a +2 circumstance bonus on all rolls to avoid traps or any other potentially lethal situation.

Greater Plot Hole: If the dashing swordsman suffers damage below 0 hp and is left unattended he automatically stabilises and starts regaining health at a rate of 1 point per round. He will be fatigued upon returning to consciousness.

Bonus feats

Detect Foreshadowing: The DS gains the ability to detect any object which, in the near future, will prove useful or important.

Anti-Hero: A DS of neutral alignment may perform any actions without becoming evil, as long as it will have some benefit for them of which they are aware.

BigDumbFighter
2007-04-03, 04:12 PM
Here's a few guesses:

Character Sheild: This ablilty magically diverts an enemies arrows, swords, or other attacks, and redirects them at a nearby character with less importance, even at point blank range, and regardless of opponents accuracy. Also helps protect Dashing Swordsmen after plunging off rooftop.

Affect Minions: Causes low level opponents, no matter how lethal they are against NPC's, to suddenly become horribly inept and clumsy and easily defeated around Dashing Swordsmen.

Craft (MacGyver): Allows Dashing Swordsmen to escape traps, disable explosives, and inflict nolethal damage upon unsuspecting ememies using items considered otherwise useless. If the character lacks required items, they will magically appear in the area in which they are needed.

Awning Fall: The Dashing Swordsmen's can leap out any window with minimal damage, provided there is a series of stratgically positioned awnings to break their fall. Alternately, branches, dumpsters, and even otherwise sharp rocks can be used as substitutes. Damage is reduced by -5 if Dashing swordsman has leapt from the window with love intrest.

Distraction: If the Dashing Swordsmen is ever defeated by enemy on a moving object, he possessed the ability to keep the opponent distracted long enough for the moving object to pass under a large object. Prevents Dashing Swordmen from suffering a Guilt Check over having to kill enemy himself. Damage is increased by +10 if Dashing Swordsmen tells the enemy to "duck."

Turn Minion: Should the Dashing Swordsmen ever be cornered by an enemy, he can convince the enemy's dim-witted second-in-command into attacking the enemy. The second-in-command will then be struck down by another random henchmen (See: Character Sheild).

Motivation: Dashing Swordsmen can inflict increased damage based on his motivation for trying to defeat the enemy. "Sworn Revenge" "Death of Close Relative" and "Protect Love Intrest" are the most powerful. "Just Because I Can" caused a -5 damage reduction.

kpenguin
2007-04-04, 03:01 AM
Craft (McGyver): Allows Dashing Swordsmen to escape traps, disable explosives, and inflict nolethal damage upon unsuspecting ememies using items considered otherwise useless. If the character lacks required items, they will magically appear in the area in which they are needed.

MacGvyer skill? Love it!:biggrin:

kpenguin
2007-04-04, 03:03 AM
Craft (McGyver): Allows Dashing Swordsmen to escape traps, disable explosives, and inflict nolethal damage upon unsuspecting ememies using items considered otherwise useless. If the character lacks required items, they will magically appear in the area in which they are needed.

MacGvyer skill? Love it!:biggrin:

brian c
2007-04-04, 04:46 AM
I Wont Lose

Require 14 level in dashing swordsman.

If the dashing swordsman was defeated or even killed by a stronger single opponent, he can do a speech about is determination and how he cannot lose now. If the speech fail (DC 15 based on charisma) then the opponent just laugh and say «you are weak» before he kill the dashing sworsdman.

If the speech succeed, the dashing sworsman is able to launch a powerfull attack that automatically deal 125 damage to his target, even if he wasnt able to hit him before. You cannot evade or make any save against a succesfull I Wont Lose. If the opponent is killed, the dashing swordsman is healed for some reason but if the dashing swordsman didnt killed him, the opponent coup de grace the dashing swordsman and say : «You were a worthy opponent».

Summon Old Friend

Require 16 level in dashing swordsman

After a failed I Wont Lose or a successfull I Wont Lose that didnt killed the dashing swordsman target, the dashing swordsman can scream the name of a party member or any other friendly PC. If the scream fails (DC 15 based on charisma) the dashing swordsman just die like he was supposed to (see I Wont Lose for more informations).

If the scream is succesfull, the ally appear from nowhere to save the dashing swordsman. After screaming, the dashing swordsman stay on the ground and cant attack or move even though he is conscious. As long as your ally and the opponent are fighting, the dashing swordsman cant be healed or hurt by anyone or anything. If the ally defeat the opponent, then the dashing swordsman is healed for some reasons. If the ally was killed or defeated by the opponent, then the dashing swordsman block the coup de grace with his body and tell is ally to run in his last breath. The ally is automatically back to 10 hp and must run away. The opponent cant run after the dashing swordsman ally for the next 30 turns for some reason.

Kamikaze

Require 20 level in dashing swordsman

The dashing swordsman do a speech about how hes going to kill his opponent even if he die. If the speech fails (DC 20 based on charisma) nothing happen. If the speech succeed, the dashing swordsman and his target kill each other and they cant be revived for some reason (see Grom Hellscream for more informations).

Besides the fact that there's no such thing as a 20 level PrC...? Good ideas though, I like "summon old friend"

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-04, 06:31 AM
Theatrics [General]: The DS gains an XP bonus for any action which increases the danger he's in or allows for a visually impressive escape.

lord_khaine
2007-04-04, 07:21 AM
there is, the last 10 lvs is just epic lvs

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-04, 04:20 PM
Dashing Swordsmen can only be killed by named monsters. Any enemy who doesn't have a name can only reduce a Dashing Swordsman to 0hp.