PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cost efficient items for a Ranged Inquisitor

Barstro
2015-01-11, 12:23 PM
My character is rather role-play light, so my concern is being useful in combat.
Most enemies will be undead
As of now, there are no real spellcasters, so it will be just Inquisitor spells that I can rely on (No Haste)
I play by the rules, so I must consider Cover and Concealment

Relevant attributes
Deadeye Bowman (ignore -4 if cover is provided by only on ally)
14(+2) STR
18(+4 ) Dex
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Coordinated Shot
Upcoming; Deadly Aim, Weapon Focus, Manyshot, Clustered Shots (If I find it necessary)

Current Equipment
Darkwood (masterwork) Composite (STR +2) Longbow
Various Arrows (blunt, pronged, etc.)

Expected Purchases/Upgrades;
+1 Adaptive Bow (3,000 gp)
Efficient Quiver (1,800 gp)
Weapon Blanched arrows (base of cold iron (1 sp each))
...50 Adamantine (500 gp)
...50 Ghost Salt (100 gp)
...50 Silver (25 gp)
Bracers of Falcon's Aim (4,000 gp)
Bane Baldric (10,000 gp)

Other Thoughts
Eventually make bow Seeking (+6,000 gp)
Boots of Speed (12,000 gp) (not that an extra attack is as useful for Ranged as it is for Melee)

Strategy and Reasons,
Inquisitor can use Greater Magic Weapon to add +X to bow for hours per day. For this reason, I do not need to pay money to add bonuses to the bow and can instead add abilities. I have not checked opportunity cost of other level-3 spells that might be better, though.
Inquisitor gets Bane and Judgement for increased damage, hit, and crit confirm. But, those each need Swift actions, so it will take at least two round to get all bonuses.
It's unlikely that I will want to use rounds to cast spells with durations of less than minutes/level.

Any thoughts on where I can improve or what I can buy?

T.G. Oskar
2015-01-11, 06:00 PM
I'd consider at least Lesser Designating (and eventually Greater Designating) if your party intends to use weapon attacks on the enemy. You can eventually spread your attacks and grant bonuses to different enemies, and a +2 to attack/+2 to damage is pretty decent (it's a morale bonus, though; Greater Designating grants +4/+6). Note that both Designating properties are rather costly (+2/+4 cost) and don't affect your hits, though.

How well can you, or any of your allies, cause any fear effect? If any of your allies relies on attacks with DC, the Cruel enchatnment is cheap and effective. Between shaken and sickened, you impose a -4 on saving throws, and also on attack rolls, which is pretty solid.

Check the Ranged Tactics Toolbox content, since it has some nice enchantments. In particular, you'll want Cyclonic since it ignores the penalties from bad weather, and also bypasses Wind Wall (in case a savvy spellcaster uses it against you). Also, if 3rd party content is allowed (i.e. if you can get Psionic weapon enchantments on your weapon), highly consider the Energy enhancement, as it allows you to create free energy-based arrows with all the properties of your bow, including the free Bane and the Judgment bonuses.

As for wondrous items, I'd consider a Belt of Incredible Dexterity/Physical Might (+X to Dexterity, and the latter can also apply it to Strength or Constitution), Belt of the Weasel (early on, grants a +2 to Dexterity and lets you fight well while prone, including ignoring the penalties on attack rolls with ranged weapons while prone) and/or Shadowform Belt (+6 Dexterity and up to 10 rounds worth of incorporeality), since all are pretty nice for Archers. The rest are really to your discretion, though you already got some of the best Bracers anyways, the chest item (the Bane Baldric) is pretty much custom-made for you, and the Boots of Speed are a "usual suspect" regarding feet items.