PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next High Level Martial Maneuvers

Scarab112
2015-01-11, 04:38 PM
I noticed there was a lack of any new maneuver options at higher levels for the fighter, meaning they'd still be stuck with the various lower level options. I decided to come up with a few options to take at these higher levels. I tried to avoid making them objectively superior to low level options so that there would still be a reason to use the lesser ones. This is my first draft and I'm still testing with them, so there might be a few problems.

Now for the list itself. The level requirement on these was level 10. I thought it worked well as an easy number to remember and a middle point in the progression.

Stunning Blow Deals two superiority die worth of extra damage when you hit with an attack; target must make a con save or be stunned for 1 round. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

Powerful Swing Gives Disadvantage on the attack roll, but deals double the superiority dice damage.

Spinning Swing Replaces single attack, all creatures in your reach make a reflex save or take two superiority dice worth of damage. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

Athletic Prowess When you move, you can expend one superiority die, adding your superiority dice to any Strength, Consitution, or Dexterity ability checks you make until you stop moving.

War Cry Bonus Action, all allies who can see and hear you gain two superiority dice worth of temporary hitpoints. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

Wolf Pack Tactics When you hit with an attack, one ally who can see and hear you can move half their speed and make a weapon attack as a reaction.

Expert Deflection Reduce the damage from an attack that hits you or an ally within 5 ft. by two superiority dice worth. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

Barreling Charge Increase your movement speed speed by 30 ft for the turn. If you move more than 20 ft. before attacking an enemy in melee this turn, you deal extra damage equal to your superiority die to that enemy

You might notice that some of these maneuvers take two superiority die to use. This was because I deemed the particular effect more powerful or decided that it was two similar to an earlier choice, and increased the number of dice and therefore damage to make up for it. There are a few on this list I was considering doing it for, but I wanted to see if they were too powerful first.

Edit: Changed a few powers and fixed some potential wording issues.

I also made variants for the Ranger and Monk to utilize maneuvers. The Ranger replaces his spells to gain access, while for the monk it instead functions as a subclass. I'll post these later if anyone is interested.

Leuku
2015-01-13, 08:07 AM
Stunning Blow Deals two superiority die worth of extra damage when you hit with an attack; target must make a con save or be stunned for 1 turn. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

I think you meant "stunned for 1 round". 1 turn would make the stun end after your turn ends.

Powerful Swing Gives Disadvantage on the attack roll, but deals double the superiority dice damage.

Cool.

Spinning Swing Replaces single attack, all enemies in your reach make a reflex save or take two superiority dice worth of damage. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

I think this should target all creatures in your reach. It'd be rather hard to avoid attacking your allies when swinging your weapon in a wide arc.

Athletic Prowess Add your superiority dice to any Strength, Consitution, or Dexterity ability checks you make while moving this turn.

Good. Perhaps change the wording to match "Evasive Footwork", i.e. "When you move, you can expend one superiority die to..."

War Cry Bonus Action, all allies who can see or hear you gain two superiority dice worth of temporary hitpoints. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

I think it should be see AND hear you. It'd be kind of weird for an ally to be bolstered by your war cry while he's around the corner out of sight.

Wolf Pack Tactics When you hit with an attack, one ally who can see or hear you can move half their speed and make a weapon attack as a reaction.

This one is missing the "you can expend a superiority die" thing. I'd imagine the superiority die is added on to the damage the ally may deal. Also, again I think it should be See and Hear.

Expert Deflection Reduce the damage from an attack that hits you or an ally within 5 ft. by two superiority dice worth. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

Sounds good.

Barreling Charge Increase your movement speed speed by 10 ft. for the turn. If you move more than 20 ft. before attacking an enemy in melee this turn, you deal extra damage equal to your superiority die to that enemy

Seems... maybe a bit weak? Perhaps the movement speed increase should be 30 ft. Almost every other maneuver automatically adds the superiority die in damage, so this one is weakened by the fact that there is an additional condition to gain the benefit of the extra damage.

Shattering Blow If you hit, the target either has disadvantage on all attacks for one turn, or all attackers have advantage against him. If you choose disadvantage, reduce the damage of the target's attacks by your superiority die value for the turn. You must spend two superiority dice to use this maneuver.

This looks The Strongest maneuver here, as well as being too strong. Considering this type of maneuver allows you to spend the superiority dice after you've hit, then this maneuver is guaranteeing a nova round for you and your allies. Also I think you mean to write "for one round", not one turn. Either way, I think this is too strong. You've already got Stunning Blow, which will grant your allies advantage anyways if the stun is successful.

Scarab112
2015-01-13, 01:41 PM
This one is missing the "you can expend a superiority die" thing. I'd imagine the superiority die is added on to the damage the ally may deal. Also, again I think it should be See and Hear.

The main reason the superiority die isn't added is so that it doesn't completely obsolete commander's strike. This is very similar, except it takes only a single attack instead of your bonus action as well, and allows for movement.

This looks The Strongest maneuver here, as well as being too strong. Considering this type of maneuver allows you to spend the superiority dice after you've hit, then this maneuver is guaranteeing a nova round for you and your allies. Also I think you mean to write "for one round", not one turn. Either way, I think this is too strong. You've already got Stunning Blow, which will grant your allies advantage anyways if the stun is successful.

Looking at it again, I think you're right about that. I think I'll scrap it altogether.

Leuku
2015-01-14, 05:01 PM
Maybe Wolf Pack Tactics should be the reverse of Commander's Strike?

Wolf Pack Tactics: When an ally that you can see or hear hits with a weapon attack on their turn, you can use your reaction to move up to half your speed and make a weapon attack against the same target. When you do so, you expend one superiority die and add it to your attack's damage roll.