PDA

View Full Version : Disrupt Undead Healing

apocryphaGnosis
2015-01-11, 05:37 PM
In the description for the spell Disrupt Undead it says: "You direct a ray of positive energy."
Since positive energy heals living creatures, can you use this spell as a heal for Sorcerer/Wizards?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-01-11, 05:58 PM
No, spells and special abilities only do what they say they can do, nothing more. That spell is a Necromancy that produces positive energy for the purpose of harming undead, and nothing more. Spells that heal living creatures are Conjuration (Healing) spells, not Necromancy spells, with only a few very specific exceptions (Vampiric Touch). Unless a Necromancy spell specifically says it can heal a living creature, it cannot by default.

Telok
2015-01-11, 06:35 PM
In the description for the spell Disrupt Undead it says: "You direct a ray of positive energy."
Since positive energy heals living creatures, can you use this spell as a heal for Sorcerer/Wizards?

No. Positive energy does not inherently heal things, spells and effects heal things. Some spells or effects that heal may use positive energy, but positive energy is not healing. Example: The Ravid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ravid.htm) and Turn Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead) do not heal anything despite being the direct application of positive energy.

jedipotter
2015-01-11, 07:13 PM
No. Though the rules never explain this. This is yet another spot where D&D needs rules of magic.

I say it works like this:

Pure Positive Energy is harmful to the living. It's simply too much raw power and it will do living beings harm. Only positive energy that has been filtered is safe. And filtered positive energy is [healing] energy. And for the most part, only the gods know the ''secret'' of filtering pure positive energy.

Though this works best if you put all the [healing] spells under the school Necromancy, it still works in Core as your ''conjuring the energy from somewhere else(aka the positive material plane, filtered by your god).

Threadnaught
2015-01-11, 09:20 PM
No. Though the rules never explain this. This is yet another spot where D&D needs rules of magic.

I say it works like this:

Pure Positive Energy is harmful to the living. It's simply too much raw power and it will do living beings harm. Only positive energy that has been filtered is safe. And filtered positive energy is [healing] energy. And for the most part, only the gods know the ''secret'' of filtering pure positive energy.

Though this works best if you put all the [healing] spells under the school Necromancy, it still works in Core as your ''conjuring the energy from somewhere else(aka the positive material plane, filtered by your god).

Conjuration [Healing] Bard Spells disagree with that last point, but for the most part, the rest of your post is at least supported by the Positive Energy Plane as it appears in Manual of the Planes. I don't own Planar Handbook, so I don't know what that has to say on the matter.

You're still wrong about the rules saying nothing about this though.