PDA

View Full Version : Playing A Stonechild

Bofgirn
2015-01-11, 07:18 PM
In an upcoming campaign I am to play a 7th level character. I am also aloud to play a stonechild but we are unsure as to if I use the +4 LA or do I go by the monster class.

thanks Bofgirn

Sian
2015-01-11, 07:28 PM
monster class is for if you want to play it before ECL 6. There is absolutely no difference between the LA and a fully developed monster class.

Bofgirn
2015-01-11, 07:32 PM
so if im starting a character at 7th level I should be taking 4 levels of stonechild, (+4 LA) then my normal class levels correct? (3 levels of fighter per say)

Sian
2015-01-11, 07:36 PM
you can't not take all monster class levels.

The point of them is to make it possible to play a Monster by ECL 1, instead of first by the point where, in case of Stonechild is ECL 6+Class level

Dread_Head
2015-01-11, 07:42 PM
so if im starting a character at 7th level I should be taking 4 levels of stonechild, (+4 LA) then my normal class levels correct? (3 levels of fighter per say)

As a ECL 7 Stonechild you would have 2 outsider racial hit dice and one level in a class as well as 4 level adjustment.
If you haven't played a monster race before I recommend reading up on it, I believe Urpriest's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?207928-Urpriest-s-Monstrous-Monster-Handbook) is thorough.

Bofgirn
2015-01-11, 07:46 PM
I dont quite understand where you are going, I have always been told that you simply adjust you ECL by the LA. Can you please give me an example of the proper way of playing this race. Sorry I just have never played a character with Monster Class levels

Bofgirn
2015-01-11, 07:49 PM
ops ty for that dis regard my last comment

Red Fel
2015-01-11, 07:58 PM
I dont quite understand where you are going, I have always been told that you simply adjust you ECL by the LA. Can you please give me an example of the proper way of playing this race. Sorry I just have never played a character with Monster Class levels

The thing to remember is that LA isn't the only modifier at play here. Yes, a Stonechild has an LA of +4, but it also has 2 racial hit dice (RHD). Those two RHD give you BAB and saves, but no other features. They are also added to the LA to give you a total starting ECL.

So a first-level Stonechild has 1 class level, +4 LA, +2 RHD, for a total of 7 levels. It's pretty crippling, actually; at that level, your other PCs will have better everything, plus class features.

The Monster Class doesn't actually give you more, or better, or worse features than swallowing +6 level adjustment; rather, it allows you to spread it out. Because here's the deal - you can't start play with a level 1 Stonechild unless you use the Monster Class. A standard Stonechild can only start the game at level 7, to compensate for 1 class level and 6 levels of pain. The Monster Class lets you start at level 1, progressing through your 6 levels of fail before you can get actual class features.

Bottom line: If you're starting at level 7 or above, it really makes no difference whether you use the Monster Class or the race-as-written; the result is the same. If you're starting below level 7, you must use the Monster Class, because you can't swallow the +6 adjustment otherwise.

Make sense?

Troacctid
2015-01-11, 08:36 PM
Everyone else is building a level 7 character. You are building a level 3 character. Your race is so powerful that in order for it to be fair, you have to start at a lower level than the rest of the party. That's what a level adjustment is--in this case, you have LA 4, which means you are 4 levels behind the rest of the party. And unlike a normal level 3 character, you don't get increased xp to help you catch up--you will always be 4 levels behind, and you just have to deal with it.

Furthermore, only one of your three levels can be in an actual class. Your first two levels are locked in as Outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) levels. Outsider is essentially a racial NPC class--it has no class features, and gives you a d8 hit die, 8 + Int skill points, full BAB, and all good saves. This is what the first three bullet points on page 94 are referring to; they spell out the advantages you get from your 2 levels of Outsider.

As for that monster class in Table 4-5, you can ignore it. It's a variant rule that allows you to play powerful races like Stonechild at lower levels by giving you your racial abilities gradually. If you're starting at level 6 or above, you don't need it.

For the record, Stonechild is actually a very weak race. The handicap imposed by the LA is crippling; a few extra points in Str and Con aren't worth it.