PDA

View Full Version : pixie

geekintheground
2015-01-11, 09:19 PM
is +4 a fair level adjustment for pixie? if not, what would you say is?

ericgrau
2015-01-11, 10:49 PM
Depends on the optimization level. I've always seen it as one of the races that were well worth the LA. Pixie archer rogues are great. I hear pixie warlocks are too. But compared to saint, half-minotaur, mineral warrior, goliath, Lolth-touched, etc. not so much. In core-only I might even put them at LA 5 though that's pushing it. Heavy optimizers OTOH may need the LA to drop for it to be worth it to them.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-12, 01:03 AM
At-Will Improved Invisibility, (ex) Flight, small size, good racial ability modifiers... I say +4 is warranted. To add to ericgrau's list, my wife played a Pixie Scout. Skirmish on an invisible flying creature is something to fear. Our DM has banned that combo from showing up in her hands again. I really don't know of too many other things he has banned, now that I think of it >.>

Vhaidara
2015-01-12, 01:56 AM
At-Will Improved Invisibility, (ex) Flight, small size, good racial ability modifiers... I say +4 is warranted. To add to ericgrau's list, my wife played a Pixie Scout. Skirmish on an invisible flying creature is something to fear. Our DM has banned that combo from showing up in her hands again. I really don't know of too many other things he has banned, now that I think of it >.>

But..Invis does nothing to help skirmish at all...She would have been literally four times as scary as a rogue (more damage, and can full attack)

WeaselGuy
2015-01-12, 02:03 AM
But..Invis does nothing to help skirmish at all...She would have been literally four times as scary as a rogue (more damage, and can full attack)

It was defensive. Hard to counterattack someone when you have no idea where they are shooting you from.

Necroticplague
2015-01-12, 02:49 AM
Meh. It benefits are all good at low levels, but they don't scale well. I'd probably peg it as being a +2. The problem is that almost everything about it is rendered irrelevant at higher levels.The DR helps make up for the missing HD, until enemies start doing enough damage to blow through it. Invisibility helps them stay alive, until See Invisibility (for outsiders) and Blindsense (for other types) becomes incredibly common. Its SLAs are useful, until immunity to mind-effecting becomes as common as air. Flight is good, up until the levels that freaking everything and there dog does it.So past maybe ecl 10 or 12, you're gonna wish you'd gone with something that doesn't involve setting 4HD on fire.

Inevitability
2015-01-12, 01:23 PM
There are two main questions to ask yourself here.

1. How optimized are your players? What are some typical builds for them? How do you think they would use a pixie?

2. Do you allow LA buyoff?

Vhaidara
2015-01-12, 01:33 PM
2. Do you allow LA buyoff?

Not actually too relevant with +4. The buyoff points are 12, 21, 27, and 30.

Deadline
2015-01-12, 01:36 PM
There was an E6 Optimization Challenge arena a while back. I remember the pixie warlock was awesome, at least until she faced off against someone with See Invisibility. :smalltongue:

Most foes won't have an easy way of spotting invisible flying folks, so it's definitely worth the LA at early levels. Later on? Probably not so much.

Necroticplague
2015-01-12, 01:44 PM
There was an E6 Optimization Challenge arena a while back. I remember the pixie warlock was awesome, at least until she faced off against someone with See Invisibility. :smalltongue:

Which I am still absolutely not bitter about, just because the first version of mine did have see invisibility (but had to scrap because apparently my Symbiot use was considered abusive). Not the least.