PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying The Doctor as a character

Xaryo
2015-01-11, 10:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Doctor Who and I would like to play a Doctor-like character.

I'm not looking for a Time Lord character/race, but more in the attitude of the Doctor. 10th or 11th.

I figure a Lore Bard with the Charlatan background (have a way with people) or Entertainer.

where ca I go from there?

Tenmujiin
2015-01-12, 07:41 PM
Bard is almost certainly the correct class, though rogue could work just as well (expertise is a must for this character).

Focus on being a skill monkey, stats cha->dex->wis->int->con->str for bard (cha->dex->con->wis->int->str if you want to optimise the character a bit more) swap dex and cha if you play a rogue. Pick mostly OOC/utility/support spells, vicious mockery is a must however.

Lore bard or thief rogue fit the Doctor from the modern show, I can't comment on the Doctor from the original show since I haven't seen more than about 15 episodes of it.

For background I would go sage or possibly acolyte (if you want to have a similar backstory to the Doctor) or re-fluffed charlatan/criminal for the features (I say criminal since it can be used to represent his extensive network of contacts). Remember that the skills listed under background are more or less just suggestions/defaults and the rules allow you to basically just pick whichever two you want so long as they fit your backstory (same with tools/languages, make sure you get thieves tools to emulate the sonic screwdriver).

Now I think of it, Arcane Trickster Rogue would let you pretend to actually have a sonic screwdriver by letting you use thieves tools at range with mage hand. Lore bard or thief rogue probably suit his personality better though so it depends if you would rather match his abilities.

If I was making this character I would probably build him like one of these (characters are in no way optimised, all use a modified criminal background):

Variant Human
Rogue 1/Lore Bard 3/Thief Rogue x
8 16 10 12 12 16
(stat bumps, dex/cha, int from feat)
Racial feat: Observant
Racial skill: History
Class skills: Investigation, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, Intimidation
Background skills: Sleight of Hand, Deception

Half-Elf
Rogue 1/Lore Bard 3/Thief Rogue x
Half-Elf: 8 16 10 12 14 16
(stat bumps, dex/wis)
Racial skills: History, Stealth
Class skills:Investigation, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, Intimidation
Background skills: Sleight of Hand, Deception

Both builds would pick up lucky asap and then max dex

Particle_Man
2015-01-13, 12:07 AM
If this is solo play, the refluffed Noble background allows one Companions . . .

Tenmujiin
2015-01-13, 01:41 AM
If this is solo play, the refluffed Noble background allows one Companions . . .

While that is true, hirelings aren't hard to pay :smalltongue:

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-01-13, 04:10 AM
While that is true, hirelings aren't hard to pay :smalltongue:

The Doctor doesn't pay his companions. :smalltongue:

Rfkannen
2015-01-13, 07:46 AM
For race, see if you could convert the samsarans from pathfinder. Or deva from 4e.

In face, Here is my mock up of a samsaran

Ability score increase. +2 to either int or wis. +1 to the other
Size. Medium
Speed 30
Language. You speak common and samsaran
Lifebound: Samsarans gain advantage on all saving throws made to resist death effects, saving throws against negative energy effects, Fortitude saves made to remove negative levels, and Constitution checks made to stabilize if reduced to negative hit points.
Shards of the past; gain training in 2 skills (Related to your past life)
Darkvision
Sasaran magic. Once per day you get, comprehend languages, deathwatch, stabilize.

thework1
2020-09-02, 07:34 AM
I'm going to try him as a changeling bard, so if he needs to "regenerate" I can just use the shape-changing racial trait.

Backstory is that in the changeling's clan there has always been a doctor, that works for regenerations knowing a lot of the past lives but always being a little fuzzy.

GooeyChewie
2020-09-02, 08:22 AM
It's a shame that the rest of the Genie patron in Unearthed Arcana doesn't fit, because the Genie Vessel ability fits the "bigger on the inside" gimmick nicely.

Iku Rex
2020-09-02, 08:39 AM
Artificer, probably Battle Smith subclass, could be a good fit.

Unoriginal
2020-09-02, 09:11 AM
I'm a big fan of Doctor Who and I would like to play a Doctor-like character.

I'm not looking for a Time Lord character/race, but more in the attitude of the Doctor. 10th or 11th.

I figure a Lore Bard with the Charlatan background (have a way with people) or Entertainer.

where ca I go from there?

Well, since you don't want the Time Lord part, we can exclude the Regeneration, the quirky biology, and the psychic powers.

One of the most important characteristic of the Doctor is that they're a genius and extremely knowledgeable. They also have access to amd can create/tinker with wonderous technology, and are very cunning and far better at improvisation than at formal academics. So I would say that an Artificer/Arcane Trickster multiclass with maxed out INT, and expertise in As many INT skills as possible.

For the Background, if you seek to emulate 10 or 11, then Soldier is the one to take. The Doctor's impersonating rarely last long (so not Charlatant), they rarely have contacts who can help where they are and usually need to be introduced to new people every crisis (so not Criminal), rarely go into places of learning to study on the problem (so not Sage), and they're too dot l'y to make a living as a musician even if they insist they're cool (so not Entertainer).

On the other hand, by the times of 10 and 11, not only the Time War has left an immense impact on them, the Doctor's reputation as a warrior also precedes them far and wide, to the point that "doctor" became a word for "great warrior" in at least one language, and that several generaly and military organzations recognize the name immediately.

Vogie
2020-09-02, 09:23 AM
I mean, the core of the Doctor is that they attempt to get around issues without causing loss of life, and are seemingly good at everything.

If you had absurd stats, you'd want some combination of Knowledge Cleric 2, War Wizard 2, Swashbuckler Rogue 3, College of Eloquence Bard X. You'd be good at essentially everything, Expertise in 6 things, can pick up tool proficiencies on a whim, have both +Int and +Cha to initiative, can find new rituals, and have reliable talent at Charisma skills. You could even drop the 2nd level of Knowledge Cleric to get the 14th level feature of Eloquence Bard.

Unoriginal
2020-09-02, 09:50 AM
I mean, the core of the Doctor is that they attempt to get around issues without causing loss of life

"Attempt" is the key word, here.

https://youtu.be/N9tcpzG8VTo?t=44

Check at 00:43

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-02, 10:14 AM
Basically there are three rough versions of the Doctor. I know you're only interested in the last one, but it's still interesting to look at.

The Original Doctor, played by Hartnell and Troughton, was human. He had a time machine (that he ambiguously invented or built himself, and which he at least understood intimately), and he had psychic powers (although neglected to the point that they were weaker than Susan's), but he was still human. In this era the Doctor didn't regenerate, but instead the TARDIS 'renews' him, Two is intended as a younger One. One seems to pretty clearly be some kind of Rogue with maybe the Magic Initiate feet to pick up some low level telepathic spells anda ring with a 1/day suggestion (if you need the need to add his hypnosis from The War Machines in), Two might have a level or two of Artificer (he definitely uses an additional magic item or two, but I've not seen enough to know how common they are). High Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charismaut Strength and Constitution have suffered.

At this point the sonic screwdriver is a screwdriver. Point it at a screw and it'll use sound waves to rotate it.

This changes at the end of The War Games, and we get:

The Classic Doctor, from about Jon Pertwee to Paul McGann. Exact specifics change, but the Doctor begins mixing in a level of Fighter and Artificer here and there as him fighting and using gadgets becomes more common. He also slowly gains more racial abilities, renewal is replaced by Regeneration, we have the respiratory bypass system, and the sonic screwdriver starts having more functions added to it until it gets blown up. Notably they still don't have a ridiculous set of knowledge skills, they know a lot but they often face something that they don't know of, and their skillset seems to mainly to be in science and manipulating people, with fighting an engineering abilities varying somewhat. Ability scores vary wildly between regenerations, Three and Four have better physical stats than their predecessors, Six has boosted Intelligence but possibly lower Wisdom, and Seven has incredibly high Wisdom to help him plan around everybody.

Then, some time between Seven and the end of the Time War we get:

The New Doctor, who is in many ways Classic Doctor++. Better psychic ability, more stable and frequently appearing gadgets (the sonic screwdriver is almost certainly part of a homebrew artificer subclass), and greater knowledge (possibly to the point of Expertise in every knowledge related skill). Physical ability scores are higher than the Original Doctor as is Intelligence and Charisma (a perk of a higher level), their greater psychic ability probably gives them a few Bard levels, and their combat abilities settle down to not having many Fighter levels.

I'd personally stat Nine as a vhuman or half-elf Rogue 4/Bard 4/Fighter 2, with maybe another level of Rogue and Bard in there. Ability scores are roughly STR 10 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 18 WIS 14 CHA 17, but that's my personal take assuming a standard array (we could argue about their scores all day). Note that the Doctor rarely uses his psychic abilities (magic), and has been shown to be outmatched by talented modern humans on occasion. 10/11 probably drop the Fighter levels in exchange for Artificer or more Bard or Rogue, and you can mess around with the idea to get the abilities you tend to associate with the Doctor (I personally don't like those Bard levels, gives him too much psychic power for my taste).

cutlery
2020-09-02, 12:37 PM
The Doctor doesn't pay his companions. :smalltongue:

No, just ruins their lives half the time - for free!

The post 2005 Doctor Who would need some weird powers. Essentially ending/imprisoning the Dalek Race takes more than a sonic screwdriver.

I'd probably go bard, dip warlock to get devil's sight, eyes of the rune keeper, beguiling influence. Maybe go to artificer after that, as he does seem to tinker with things a fair bit, but if not, back to bard. I suspect which bard college will depend on which Incarnation you're building for.

Tom Baker's Doctor is probably best represented as a magicless skill monkey (but jack of all trades is a must for the doctor) - perhaps mastermind? For sure expertise in deception. Chris Eccleston strikes me as a little warlocky. Dave Tennant apparently knows how to swing a longsword reasonably well, but also might have made a deal with the devil, and is a little less of a persuader and more of an intimidator than Baker.

If you find your way to adding in Ranger levels: Favored enemies: Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans. Not really sure who the best standins for those might be. I suppose Daleks might be Beholders.

Fnissalot
2020-09-02, 01:49 PM
I would go with a mix between lore bard, battlesmith artificer, and ranger.

Bard has pretty well been argued for already; persuasive, inspiring etc.

Artificer, they crafts a lot of stuff and is pretty good at figuring out things. The doctor also had a robotic dog called K9 for a few seasons so a battlesmith is the best of the subclasses.

Ranger; they doesn't just know a LOT of history, but also how to deal with all these creatures and aliens they meets. The doctor knows their weaknesses and strengths. Horizon walker could be used to explain the interstellar travel aspect, while monster slayer deals with the alien knowledge.

High dex, int, and cha. Almost as high wis as they might be a bit foolish and stubborn sometimes. Dump str and con. Expertise in Nature and History. Proficiency in athletics, persuasion, investigation, insight, and intimidation atleast. Far-traveller or soldier background and you would likely need to get the spell tongues quickly to allow for all of that communication between species.

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-02, 01:58 PM
Artificer, they crafts a lot of stuff and is pretty good at figuring out things. The doctor also had a robotic dog called K9 for a few seasons so a battlesmith is the best of the subclasses.

I'm not sure K-9 had any of the qualities to be a Steel Defender, even when he was functioning. Also to properly represent him you'd need a Speed of about 2.5 feet per round, he's not really dungeon (or, let's be fair, alien planet) appropriate.

Fnissalot
2020-09-02, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure K-9 had any of the qualities to be a Steel Defender, even when he was functioning. Also to properly represent him you'd need a Speed of about 2.5 feet per round, he's not really dungeon (or, let's be fair, alien planet) appropriate.

Hehehe True. Those are some good points.

cutlery
2020-09-02, 02:31 PM

K-9 was more of an item than a creature; its usefulness was that it was pretty clever. Some sort of sentient skull with levitate and movement of 10 feet might do the trick; handy thing to have along for the ride, but not super useful on trips away from the tardis magic carpet.

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-02, 02:53 PM
K-9 was more of an item than a creature; its usefulness was that it was pretty clever. Some sort of sentient skull with levitate and movement of 10 feet might do the trick; handy thing to have along for the ride, but not super useful on trips away from the tardis magic carpet.

And all I can think of is Bob the skull. But yeah.

But K=9 kind of doesn't matter, OP asked about 10/11, and robot buddies were mainly a 4 thing (they tried to give 5 one, but I hear the prop was even worse than K-9). I do kind of wish they'd bring a new one in as a secondary Companion. While sadly K-8 MkIV likely wouldn't fly maybe something like a K-10 that's more 2000s in look (but I think it should be intentionally retro looking).

Joe the Rat
2020-09-03, 06:07 PM

K9 is clearly a turret. Running the Doctor as an Artillerist feels counterintuitive, but consider how many explosions he produces, directly or no. On-the-spot anti-x weapon creation, fiddling and whittling rather than bottles and herbs (that's more of The Rani's approach), a hint of action, and a lousy snarky blasty robot.

I think the thing that makes artificer fly is that they can use magic items as foci. The sonic is a wand (or goggles) of detect magic, to cast 90% of the spells. With three you get Thunderwave.

Artificer/Rogue would give you a LOT of coverage. You feel a bit light on spells, but other than the glowy stick of chirpy noises, there's a lot more knowing and running - flashes of hoodad wonder at critical junctures. Expertise funneled into knowledge and perception. And Deception (Rule #1)

Bard, though... you are exceptional at a few things, and at least half-competent at everything else. Plus proficiency in recorder and electric guitar.

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-03, 07:02 PM
Bard, though... you are exceptional at a few things, and at least half-competent at everything else. Plus proficiency in recorder and electric guitar.

You forget the spoons. Actually Seven possibly just has straight up Expertise in Performance.

But yeah, Artificer/Rogue(/Bard) does well for most Doctors. Leaning more towards Artificer for gadget heavy Doctors, and Rogue for wits heavy Doctors. But the era really does matter, the Doctor slowly grows in skill and knowledge throughout the series but has a comparatively massive jump between Two and Three (better combat skills and piloting abilities) and Eight and None (better at piloting again, psychic powers now almost as strong as Susan's), Two is a very different beast to Twelve.

A key thing that makes the Doctor hard is that most incarnations are manipulators (particularly Seven). They don't take their enemies out directly, but tend to move them into a position where they either destroy themselves or fall victim to a third party. They're not above getting their hands dirty, but they prefer to keep it at arm's reach.

Although notably my favourite eras are vastly becoming the ones without the do-anything Screwdriver (I loathe that thing). Doctors based on One, Two, Six, and Seven have to rely on their skills a bit more because of it. It somewhat runs with the idea of using the SS as a focus, once Five loses it it they lose access to most of their spells.

An entire party based on the first six seasons would actually work quite well. Four characters, all roughly the same level, travelling in a Teleportation box that the owner can't actually control. Just a thought.

KyleG
2020-09-04, 02:35 AM
An entire party based on the first six seasons would actually work quite well. Four characters, all roughly the same level, travelling in a Teleportation box that the owner can't actually control. Just a thought.

How would you differentiate them?

GorogIrongut
2020-09-04, 04:40 AM
I would personally go Artillerist>Alchemist Artificer X/Arcane Trickster 3.

It nets you all of the skills. A bit of magic from the AT side of things as well as the sheer Macgyver like skills of the Artificer. Most importantly, remember that the Doctor wins through sheer intelligence. Artificer and AT both benefit from boosting intelligence. The bard on the other hand is a purely Cha class that puts on a good show and has a bit of expertise at certain skills. (If one were wed to the idea of going Bard, then I agree that a 1-2 level dip into a Genie Lock would be an excellent Tardis addition).

Anymage
2020-09-04, 06:31 AM
{Scrubbed}

truemane
2020-09-04, 07:45 AM
Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy is a forbidden art.